GT Zaskar XC Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

F.O.C. Ultra, Carbon Frame, 100mm Travel Independent Drivetrain Suspension System w/ Forged Linkage, Pivots, F.O.C. BB Shell, Dropouts, and 1.5? to 1 1/8? Tapered HT.

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Light, agile (26"), carbon, stiff, good climber, good value, XT.

Weaknesses:    Formula 1 brakes are just aweful, noisey, and seem to be effected by any spec of dirt. Geometry took a little to get used to, front end seems heavy and is difficult to manual. Rear derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
Overall I am very happy with the bike. I've purchased it from Jenson as a left over and it was about the only way to pick it up in 26". Unfortunately they sold their last medium just before I had the money saved up so I bought a large. I'm 5'9" so it is a little tall/ long for me but I get by. Maybe because of this size being too big, its kinda easy to go over the bars, but I'm sure its just the bike. The brakes are really my only real complaint. Just read the reviews on Formula 1 brakes and you will understand. Would like a dropper seat post so I can get my weight back further on descents. I replaced the bars with Richey Carbons simply for looks. The Idrive works well but also makes power wheelies difficult to get used to on this bike because as you pedal, the rear tire counter forces down causing the front end to drop too. Liking the DT Swiss wheels. Stock tires were actually pretty good, but I switched to the Nevegals. XT shifters are mostly flawless. Fox Suspension works great. Overall the value/components of this bike can't be beat. Too bad this bike is now impossible to come by.

Favorite Trail:   Swatara Park, PA

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Submitted by NytrostarSS a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Spec'd Well, Fox RP23 with ProPedal, climbs great and stays hooked up!

Weaknesses:    Brakes are a bit "grabby"- possibly just need a little more breaking in. Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 seatpost is a bit finicky, the saddle clamp leaves me thinking about swapping for a Thomson.

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Pro version of this bike in "Raw Carbon" and XT trim level. Scored a great deal on this bike possibly because it's a "26er"? Fine by me!! It climbs incredibly well with the ProPedal lever in use, I actually prefer the ProPedal setting for the descents as well, it firms the ride up a bit, normal to me having ridden solely hardtails for XC up until this point. I've done 3 rides so far and nearly 60 miles, I've noticed no problems at this point, no creaking from frame or suspension whatsoever. This bike has me waking up with riding on my mind!

This bike feels really light though I have no means of weighing it. Some word of caution if buying this bike online. Verify the measurements with the seller as the 26er and 9er versions have different dimensions for the same "L" or "XL" frame sizes. If you can find this bike online at a closeout price I'd say jump on it,

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Green Mtn Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   1996 GT Avalanche, Foes LTS, 2002 Santa Cruz Super 8, 2008 Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Stock - DT Swiss 1600 wheels, X9 cranks, XT shifters/ Derailleurs 2x10, FOX Float RL, FOX RP23, Formula R1 Brakes

Submitted by dabeetereater

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    i purchased the pro version, pretty light bike for a fs xl frame that i got. came in at 27.43 stock with pedals. 26.9 with tire swap and carbon bars. very very fast out of the corners, suspension is great reacts great, shock adjustments are freaking sweet. climbs great also so far nothing to complain about at all

Weaknesses:    nothing really, but the brakes are a little noisy already and kind of touchy, gonna swap rotors and try that, this bike comes with really light rotors and i think they are little to flexy

Bottom Line:
super fast bike right from the get go, if u can get a good deal like i did on it i would definately recommend it and after riding a rdo 9er this bike felt just like it in every way besides being a little heavier than a rdo.

GT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please

So I'm getting back into riding after a really long hiatus. Being the packrat that I am, I kept my old Zaskar and have used it on camping trips, family bike rides etc. But no real hardcore riding. Long story short: I bought this bike back in 1995 and started riding regularly. I had back surgery i ... Read More »

GT Zaskar Sport vs. Kona Kahuna

I'm looking at getting a new bike and these are two I'm interested in. Anyone have any info or opinion on this comparison?Read More »

Looking to put an XX1 kit on a 2013 Zaskar, who makes the rear hub?

The website info says "All Terra Lightweight Alloy, 4 Sealed Bearing, Disc, Cassette, w/ Quick Release" A google search comes up with nothing, so I'm assuming its a re-branded shimano or something, at least the free hub portion that must be replaced to use the XX1 cassette. Does anyone know wh ... Read More »

2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport (no triple triangle?)

LBS substituted a Small 2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport when they couldn't locate a Small Karakoram 1.0 Not complaining, but the bike delivered does not have the Triple Triangle frame configuration. All the literature I can dig up online seems to indicate that the Zaskar frame should be TT. All of the ot ... Read More »

GT Zaskar 20"

I just got home after picking up a GT Zaskar 20" from the REI outlet. Impressive bike. Price was right with 30% off the original price. Nice build. No suspension fork (in all my shopping I never did find one that would cycle with my sons weight). SRAM X5 derailleur. Quick release wheels. Quic ... Read More »