GT Sensor XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (20 Reviews)

A Lot of us shave our legs. A lot of us don't. Just because you've exchanged your spandex for baggies doesn't mean you don't want a bike that climbs like your hardtail; just because you don't armor up doesn't mean you don't like to decend like a madman. The ultimate trail-bike, the Sensor takes agility, responsiveness, and effciency of a cross-country race bike, and adds more travel and a slacker geometry for inspired descents and more predictable line choices. Are we claiming a little bit by calling it the ultimate trail bike? Maybe. But then again, Mick did win Sea Otter's Dual Slalom on it.
  • Frame: Hydroformed, 6061-T6 aluminum, 120mm travel
  • Fork: Fox Racing Shox 32 F RL Fit, 120mm travel
  • Crank: SRAM S1400
  • Rear Shock: Fox Racing Shox Float RP23 BV, 120mm travel
  • Brake: Formula RX Disc w/ 180mm rotor

Submitted by James Haag

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    I've forgotten how low on the totem pole the components are on this bike. The climbing is very fast, and the downhills are smooth. The tires are great, the brakes are solid, and the shifting is still smooth after two years of owning this bike.

Weaknesses:    I would pin two weaknesses on this bike.
1. The tires are 26" and I'm on track to join the 29er crowd in a couple of days.
2. The rear suspension does not have a lock-out, to me the rear lock is much more useful than the front when climbing.

Bottom Line:
Even considering the weaknesses, I have became a better rider with this entry level bike. If you are just getting into the world of mountain biking and want a full suspension, I recommend this setup. I have used this bike as a gateway to the world of higher end bikes, and I've enjoyed the two years I spent on this bike learning how to ride.
FYI: This review is for the 2011 model of the Sensor 4.0.

Submitted by Daniel Dix

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    The frame feels very stiff over flat terrain and uphill, yet the cushy suspension kicks in at the right places on downhills. The front and rear suspension seem great to me for entry level. The brakes also seem very solid

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain components are weak. I wore teeth off of the crank in about 100 miles. I replaced the pedals and tires immediately. It is a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great all around FS XC bike! It can handle moderately heavy downhills and climbs nearly as well as my hardtail. The value is awesome and it is a really fun ride. I basically kill mine on a weekly basis and it is still in great shape. I bought mine brand new on clearance for $900! Expect to upgrade some parts over time.

Submitted by Vespasianus a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Strengths:    The suspension system. Plush everywhere with great pedaling manners

Weaknesses:    Little to XC.

Bottom Line:
Demoed this bike for a weekend and came away very impressed. The suspension system felt bottomless and was plush in every condition. Even with the plush suspension, the bike pedaled great. Without question, the ID system is one of the best systems out there. The bike was a little too steep for me and felt a little fragile but overall, this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   All with dirt.

Duration Product Used:   Demo

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Titus Motolite, Santa Cruz Blur, Turner 5-Spot, Pivot Mach 5.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by MaDeuceUSMC

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    i-drive, brakes, looks (mine is orange), tires.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock, entry-level components, heavy.

Bottom Line:
Did a lot of research on this bike. Purchased knowing I'd have to upgrade components over time. However, I love the i-drive geometry, especially now that I am running a Rock Shox Monarch Plus RL shock. Almost no loss of power when standing up or pedaling uphill, even with no lockout. Also upgraded to SRAM XO drivetrain, rockshox reverb dropper seatpost, and switched out everything that was All-Terra (wheels, seatpost, stem, bar). Never heard of this brand, but it must be a GT-specific off-shoot. I do like the stock shimano hydraulics on this. They were noisy and stiff at first, but after a few hours of break in, they are really smooth and responsive. With good components and suspension, bike is lighter and serves as a pretty good all-mountain rig.

Submitted by PeterCherry

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Sexy bike :P

Weaknesses:    X-Fusion shock i shoved it up megans arse and put an RP2 on

Bottom Line:
GT sensor 2012

The bike is amazing!!! had it for a couple of months now nearly jiz**d when i first saw the bike it looks like it came from heaven...

X-fusion shock updated for an RP2 for free got rid of that peice of sh** and shoved it up Megan Collins ar**

Emily Batty SMD

Megan Collins wants my di** hard

Submitted by Sidiro a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, priced right when on sale, components are entry level but seem to do the job. Upgradeable and will only get better.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (my XL frame is about 34.5lbs), wheels needed truing from day one. Grips look awful but do the job.

Bottom Line:
This is my first FS bike coming from a hardtail, I researched the crap out of this bike. My determining factors were price (I got it for $1300 ($999 plus tax/shipping) shipped to my door in Canada), technology like iDrive, and an overall nice looking bike.

First impression is... This thing rides as smooth as a Bentley compared to my hardtail. It's much heavier but everything works in sync. I had to adjust the front derraileur and some linkage to suit me better but I think I'm going to be happy with this bike.

The rear shock lockout is good, and keep very things tight for my many road commutes.
Overall a nice bike for under $1500, if you want a better bike you're probably looking in the $2200 and up MSRP range.

Good bike, no regrets. Will upgrade as things start to wear down. I'm happy.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore Trails - BC

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Similar Products Used:   XC Hardtails, road bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clipless pedals

Submitted by Darren a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Everything, I find the independent drivetrain (I-drive) absolutely exhilarating, the front suspension and rear shocks perform outstanding, it's such a smooth and comfortable ride, I have come off this a few times due to no fault of the bike, but it still rides perfectly and looks and feels in great shape. Just a few minor scratches The brakes are awesome too... Top notch.
I normally ride a hardtail which is slightly better at getting full power into climbs, but this is just as good, with the I-drive you can push into a climb without the bounce.

Weaknesses:    I really cannot find any.

Bottom Line:
I was very reluctant to purchase this bike at first, due to a very poor review from a well known MTB website, However I did take the plunge as i got the bike on offer and have never looked back, Don't believe the negative reviews this bike is up there with best.

Submitted by Mike E.

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Good drive train and suspension. Good brakes. Love the seat.

Weaknesses:    Grips wear quickly, rear rim bent after a few months of riding.

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on this bike at Performance by complete luck. It was the "deal of the day" for $899. Can't beat that deal!

Submitted by shawnsterthemonster a Weekend Warrior from Alpine, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    Solid on the climbs, descents, and everything in between. Great handling. Sick suspension design. The i-Drive is ingenious.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I wouldn't say I'm an extreme mtb connoisseur, but I've been riding for several years, and this bike will not disappoint.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an incredible bike. I have been nothing but satisfied with it's performance. It's an amazing climber, with solid a great suspension setup. Easy to handle, excellent control, awesome on the downhills, etc. All around great bike for a variety of riding. Obviously, you'll pay more if you want the more high-end components, but this bike's stock setup is solid for the average rider. GT is coming back, people!

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa, Southern Utah

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010

Submitted by Sdgreen a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    iDrive suspension, value, comfortable ride, crazy orange color

Weaknesses:    none noted although I am not to keen on the grips

Bottom Line:
iDrive works as advertised. a little squish while standing but that's about it. If i pedal on on pavement and lockout the rear shock it feels like my tire is underinflated. no creaking in the suspension.

component set works well for this entry level full suspension bike.

brakes are smooth and quiet

Climbs and descends very well.

I would buy this buy again and do not hesitate to recommend it as an entry level full suspension bike. The value is hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   The one with dirt

Similar Products Used:   (None) First full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clipless shimano 747s

Submitted by Hernandez-Ian a Weekend Warrior from Guaynabo, PR

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing uphill is definitely a strength. I could not believe how easily it conquered any obstacle. Also it shares a frame with the more improved model, and it shows.

Weaknesses:    the knobs to adjust the suspension are hard to twist and they hurt my fingers... That's the only weakness I have found so far and with the way it's behaving I doubt I'll have to update.

Bottom Line:
Amazig bike, if I had to I would buy it all over again. Great value for money. I would recommend this bicycle to any friend.

Favorite Trail:   Los Pinchos, Salinas, PR

Purchased At:   Blue Dolphin

Similar Products Used:   this has been my first full suspension bicycle. I used to ride a trek 3700 hardtail with over $500 in modifications.

Bike Setup:   crank brothers clipless pedals and hylix carbon handlebar. other than that its stock... for now

Submitted by HomeGrown97 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing is great, much better than my old hardtail, can get over any type of terrain now. Mine also has the SLX shifters & Front Derailleur, not the Deore as listed in the specs. Also came with the massive Nevegal Tomac 2.35 front tire instead of the 2.1 listed in the specs. Big 180mm front rotor. PDM-520 pedals are a nice bonus, reliable and durable. The front hub is a GT sealed w/ Japanese bearings. No noticeable pedal bob at all in the ProPedal position, nice to swith the RP2 shock to Open on downhill.

Impossible to beat price, initially a Nashbar price match of $1500 then a month later Nashbar had a 20% Coupon sale which made their's $1200, Perf. matched again so they gave me $300 back = final price of $1200 + Double Performance points in May for GT = $300 Perf. Points, if you add that to the cost then my final cost was really $900 + the $100 in tax = $1K, amazing for this quality of bike.

Weaknesses:    The Deore Rear Hub, after 3 rides the freehub was giving out, did not strand me, but it was starting to skip badly under uphill torque. Performance fixed w/ a new freehub under warranty. Also had to take it back in another time to have the hub adjusted, the cones kept coming loose, however after the second time I asked if they could replace the whole wheel with their Forte Xenduro and they did for no coast, not even labor so that has been a nice change.
Coming from V-Brakes the Juicy 3's feel fine to me, the rear can get a little soft on a long downhill, but I'm not sure if that's the braking power or if it just needs bled. The front hub is nice, GT Japanese sealed bearings, but the cones for the thru axle come off the hub easily, makes it a little challenging to get the front wheel back on, after doing it a few times you can do it quickly though. Some creaking when I first start out, can't tell if it's coming from the BB / cranks or the pivots, but after riding for about 5 minutes the creaking goes away, it's like it needs to get warmed up then it's fine.

Bottom Line:
A very fun bike to ride. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I got the XL frame. I rode a Large that was in stock at the store and it just felt too small, sitting was fine, but when I stood up I felt like I was going to go over the bars and that was on flat ground. I ordered the XL from the store on their red phone and had it shipped to the store. The XL feels great, very stable downhill and feels very agile climbing over rocky terrain and tight turns. I'm a former BMX racer and this bike feels like I could take it to a dirt jump track and jump all day, I have a 24" BMX cruiser I take to the dirt jump tracks, but I jump the GT any chance I get on the trail over the water bars / erosion boards, rocks etc. I would give 5 chilis but if the stock rear wheel just had a better rear hub, such as a SLX or XT (like the Sensor 1.0) then everything would be perfect. No plans to change anything else now that I have new rear wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Aldefer / Three Sisters

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing, came from a '97 Schwinn Homegrown HardTail, hence my username. I can't comment on the i-Drive compared to other suspension types since this is the first full-suspension I have owned.

Bike Setup:   Everything Stock except for the rear Forte Xenduro wheel and adding Bontrager Thorn Resistant tubes, heavy tubes but I got a flat on the first ride w/ the stock Kenda tubes.

Submitted by sgtcurry a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs as well as my HT if not better, yet is so much better on rough stuff at speed. The i-Drive suspension design is wonderful.

Weaknesses:    The brakes that come with it are the worst set of hydros I have ever used. Power is massively lacking almost as bad as the entry entry level Tektro Novelas, no modulation what so ever pretty much on or off.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever owned, for the price I got it for almost impossible to beat. Came with SLX shifters and front derailuer instead of the Deore that the website stated. Super plush ride and superb climbing ability. Just have to make sure to upgrade those Juicy 3's.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Price Paid:    $12000.00

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Access Raptor 3.0, GT Force 3.0

Bike Setup:   Everything stock except the brakes which have been swapped for Shimano SLX M665

Submitted by Gibbo_MTB a Weekend Warrior from Palmerston, NT, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Nice frame build, Firm suspension yet plush on the big hits when you need it, I-Drive suspension is great on hard pack tracks.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis High-Roller tyres are useless and wear out quickly, Pedals need re greasing often, rear shock bottoms out sometimes

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great climber as the suspension takes all the hit allowing you to shoot up hills with out losing speed. For a cross country bike it can easily handle downhill tracks and very rough terrain. The rear shock does however bottom out on the really hard hits which can lead to being bucked off the bike. The weight is a bit high but that's nothing that is really a concern. The bike is so easy to control at high and low speed, the tyres should be replaced after a while because they don't give the grip that the bike needs, I recommend Maxxis Minion.

Favorite Trail:   PineForrest