GT Sensor 3.0 XC Full Suspension

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

A Lot of us shave our legs. A lot of us don't. Just because you've exchanged your spandex for baggies doesn't mean you don't want a bike that climbs like your hardtail; just because you don't armor up doesn't mean you don't like to decend like a madman. The ultimate trail-bike, the Sensor takes agility, responsiveness, and effciency of a cross-country race bike, and adds more travel and a slacker geometry for inspired descents and more predictable line choices. Are we claiming a little bit by calling it the ultimate trail bike? Maybe. But then again, Mick did win Sea Otter's Dual Slalom on it.
  • Frame: Hydroformed, 6061-T6 aluminum, 120mm travel
  • Fork: RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air, 120mm travel
  • Crank: Shimano FC-M430
  • Brake: Shimano BR-M445 w/ 180mm rotor
  • Rear Shock: X-Fusion 02 RL, 120mm travel

Submitted by MaDeuceUSMC

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    i-drive, brakes, looks (mine is orange), tires.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock, entry-level components, heavy.

Bottom Line:
Did a lot of research on this bike. Purchased knowing I'd have to upgrade components over time. However, I love the i-drive geometry, especially now that I am running a Rock Shox Monarch Plus RL shock. Almost no loss of power when standing up or pedaling uphill, even with no lockout. Also upgraded to SRAM XO drivetrain, rockshox reverb dropper seatpost, and switched out everything that was All-Terra (wheels, seatpost, stem, bar). Never heard of this brand, but it must be a GT-specific off-shoot. I do like the stock shimano hydraulics on this. They were noisy and stiff at first, but after a few hours of break in, they are really smooth and responsive. With good components and suspension, bike is lighter and serves as a pretty good all-mountain rig.

Submitted by PeterCherry

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Sexy bike :P

Weaknesses:    X-Fusion shock i shoved it up megans arse and put an RP2 on

Bottom Line:
GT sensor 2012

The bike is amazing!!! had it for a couple of months now nearly jiz**d when i first saw the bike it looks like it came from heaven...

X-fusion shock updated for an RP2 for free got rid of that peice of sh** and shoved it up Megan Collins ar**

Emily Batty SMD

Megan Collins wants my di** hard

Submitted by Sidiro a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, priced right when on sale, components are entry level but seem to do the job. Upgradeable and will only get better.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (my XL frame is about 34.5lbs), wheels needed truing from day one. Grips look awful but do the job.

Bottom Line:
This is my first FS bike coming from a hardtail, I researched the crap out of this bike. My determining factors were price (I got it for $1300 ($999 plus tax/shipping) shipped to my door in Canada), technology like iDrive, and an overall nice looking bike.

First impression is... This thing rides as smooth as a Bentley compared to my hardtail. It's much heavier but everything works in sync. I had to adjust the front derraileur and some linkage to suit me better but I think I'm going to be happy with this bike.

The rear shock lockout is good, and keep very things tight for my many road commutes.
Overall a nice bike for under $1500, if you want a better bike you're probably looking in the $2200 and up MSRP range.

Good bike, no regrets. Will upgrade as things start to wear down. I'm happy.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore Trails - BC

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Similar Products Used:   XC Hardtails, road bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clipless pedals

Submitted by Darren a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Everything, I find the independent drivetrain (I-drive) absolutely exhilarating, the front suspension and rear shocks perform outstanding, it's such a smooth and comfortable ride, I have come off this a few times due to no fault of the bike, but it still rides perfectly and looks and feels in great shape. Just a few minor scratches The brakes are awesome too... Top notch.
I normally ride a hardtail which is slightly better at getting full power into climbs, but this is just as good, with the I-drive you can push into a climb without the bounce.

Weaknesses:    I really cannot find any.

Bottom Line:
I was very reluctant to purchase this bike at first, due to a very poor review from a well known MTB website, However I did take the plunge as i got the bike on offer and have never looked back, Don't believe the negative reviews this bike is up there with best.

Submitted by Mike E.

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Good drive train and suspension. Good brakes. Love the seat.

Weaknesses:    Grips wear quickly, rear rim bent after a few months of riding.

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on this bike at Performance by complete luck. It was the "deal of the day" for $899. Can't beat that deal!

Submitted by shawnsterthemonster a Weekend Warrior from Alpine, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    Solid on the climbs, descents, and everything in between. Great handling. Sick suspension design. The i-Drive is ingenious.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I wouldn't say I'm an extreme mtb connoisseur, but I've been riding for several years, and this bike will not disappoint.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an incredible bike. I have been nothing but satisfied with it's performance. It's an amazing climber, with solid a great suspension setup. Easy to handle, excellent control, awesome on the downhills, etc. All around great bike for a variety of riding. Obviously, you'll pay more if you want the more high-end components, but this bike's stock setup is solid for the average rider. GT is coming back, people!

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa, Southern Utah

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010

Submitted by Sdgreen a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    iDrive suspension, value, comfortable ride, crazy orange color

Weaknesses:    none noted although I am not to keen on the grips

Bottom Line:
iDrive works as advertised. a little squish while standing but that's about it. If i pedal on on pavement and lockout the rear shock it feels like my tire is underinflated. no creaking in the suspension.

component set works well for this entry level full suspension bike.

brakes are smooth and quiet

Climbs and descends very well.

I would buy this buy again and do not hesitate to recommend it as an entry level full suspension bike. The value is hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   The one with dirt

Similar Products Used:   (None) First full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clipless shimano 747s

Submitted by Gibbo_MTB a Weekend Warrior from Palmerston, NT, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Nice frame build, Firm suspension yet plush on the big hits when you need it, I-Drive suspension is great on hard pack tracks.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis High-Roller tyres are useless and wear out quickly, Pedals need re greasing often, rear shock bottoms out sometimes

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great climber as the suspension takes all the hit allowing you to shoot up hills with out losing speed. For a cross country bike it can easily handle downhill tracks and very rough terrain. The rear shock does however bottom out on the really hard hits which can lead to being bucked off the bike. The weight is a bit high but that's nothing that is really a concern. The bike is so easy to control at high and low speed, the tyres should be replaced after a while because they don't give the grip that the bike needs, I recommend Maxxis Minion.

Favorite Trail:   PineForrest

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Spokes NT

Similar Products Used:   Merida AM 800

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by gooded a Weekend Warrior from Petersburgh, NY

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    This is the only full suspension bike I have ever riden, so I can't really compare, but coming from a hardtail, I was afraid that I was going to be disappointed with the climbing and pedalling capabilities of this bike. I am amazed. I climb further and faster than I did with my hardtail. This bike is sick.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sick. It's on the heavy side (32 lbs), but even coming from a 27 lb hardtail, I can't notice the diference except when I have to carry it. I don't really notice the suspension, expect that I am going much faster through rough sections than I ever could with my hardtail. I can pedal through rough sections where I used to have to stand. One finger braking, no matter what. This bike absolutely sick. I love it.

Purchased At:   Performance.com