GT Sensor 1.0 XC Full Suspension

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

A Lot of us shave our legs. A lot of us don't. Just because you've exchanged your spandex for baggies doesn't mean you don't want a bike that climbs like your hardtail; just because you don't armor up doesn't mean you don't like to decend like a madman. The ultimate trail-bike, the Sensor takes agility, responsiveness, and effciency of a cross-country race bike, and adds more travel and a slacker geometry for inspired descents and more predictable line choices. Are we claiming a little bit by calling it the ultimate trail bike? Maybe. But then again, Mick did win Sea Otter's Dual Slalom on it.
  • Frame: Hydroformed, 6061-T6 aluminum, 120mm travel
  • Fork: Fox Racing Shox 32 F RL Fit, 120mm travel
  • Crank: SRAM S1400
  • Rear Shock: Fox Racing Shox Float RP23 BV, 120mm travel
  • Brake: Formula RX Disc w/ 180mm rotor

Submitted by Vespasianus a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Strengths:    The suspension system. Plush everywhere with great pedaling manners

Weaknesses:    Little to XC.

Bottom Line:
Demoed this bike for a weekend and came away very impressed. The suspension system felt bottomless and was plush in every condition. Even with the plush suspension, the bike pedaled great. Without question, the ID system is one of the best systems out there. The bike was a little too steep for me and felt a little fragile but overall, this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   All with dirt.

Duration Product Used:   Demo

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Titus Motolite, Santa Cruz Blur, Turner 5-Spot, Pivot Mach 5.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by coolhandluke a Cross Country Rider from Anderson, SC

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, quick handling, Light bike spec'd with high end components. Fox front & rear are amazing ( I'm a bigger guy @ 6"1 - 245) The bike is equiped with full Shimano XT ( except crank which is Truvativ Stylo )all are smooth & reliable. They aren't as light as XTR, but I believe that the main difference is basicly the weight of components. The I-Drive system is smooth all around the trail & climbs very well. I can't say enough about this bike it is a great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    The one & only concern I have is with the cable routing thru the rear triangle. It is a tight fit between the frame & seat tube. It has rubbed some of the powder coated paint off the frame & worn the cable housing a bit. I think some lizard skin film tape should resolve any issues. Other wise love this bike. Awesome ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an great performing bike & an amazing value the way GT has sped'd the bike. I have done some small things to personalize the bike, but other than that, I think this bike absolutely rocks. It is spec'd as well as other bikes whick cost hundreds, even thousands more.

Favorite Trail:   Payne Creek, GA

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Zero 3G Pro, Cannondale RZ 140 3Z.

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock. I took off the gear indicator windows on top of the XT shifing pods. They were causing a slight vibrating sound when I would get some speed going down a smooth hardpack or fire road. Anyways problem fixed. I also think it makes it look slightly better. I also put a carbon fiber chain protector I got from Nashbar, it looks really nice on the white frame. I plan on upgrading to Stan's No Tubes system.

Submitted by bedwards1000 a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive, comfortable, pretty light, good components, sexy good looks.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur cable routing.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, handles well. The suspension doesn't seem to suck up any power and handles the bumps like it should. The components are rock solid. My biggest complaint is that the cable routing to the rear derailleur runs along the side of the rear triangle and my foot hits it in technical stuff. It could have easily been run along the top (and probably will be when I eventually rip it off with my heal).

I felt at home on this bike from the first ride and really can't complain. I've got a few hundred miles of trail riding on it

Favorite Trail:   Any fast doubletrack

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   None other than some test rides.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by D_Torres a Weekend Warrior from simi valley, ca usa

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight, handles extremely well, responsive

Weaknesses:    can't think of any

Bottom Line:
the bottom line that you get what you pay for. the bike is very responsive and lightweight. i never felt so confident coming down rocky and curving downhills. i felt like i pushed it to the max, but know it could handle more. i did drop the bike once, but that user error. i feel one can race with this bike. again lightweight and very responsive. definately worth considering, especially for the money. good looking bike too.

Favorite Trail:   chumash, simi valley ca

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   performancebike

Similar Products Used:   diamond back topanga

Submitted by yatzi1980 a Cross Country Rider from east windsor nj

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great bike. I bombed on the sensor 1.0 all day thanks to a GT DEMO at allaire st park. Smooth and very fast, handled all the drops and small downhills great. Climbed like a goat.

Weaknesses:    None but i only rode it for one day.

Bottom Line:
First time on the bike felt like i had been riding it for years. Looks great too. A real sweet ride if you wanna drop 3 grand. Big thanks to Kevin and Frank from GT and Van from The Bicycle Rack in East windsor.

Favorite Trail:   6 mile, hartshorne, clayton park

Bike Setup:   stock. kenda navegal 2.35 front 2.2 rear. all xtr components

Sensor 1.0 Pivot Overhaul Cost?

In May I purchased a 2011 Sensor 1.0 and rode maybe 400 miles on it so far. I know it was probably premature but I wanted to get the pivots serviced just to make sure everything is in working order or if something needs to be replaced it is. I've already had the LBS do the work so all I'm wond ... Read More »

Difference Between Sensor 1.0 and 9R Pro

I've been looking at getting a full suspension GT recently and while I was looking at GTs website, I couldn't find a difference between the 1.0 and 9R Pro. The price is even listed as the same. Does anybody know what the difference between the two is?Read More »

GT Sensor 1.0

My wife just got one and is loving it. She's thinking of selling her Titus Racer X. [CENTER][/CENTER] [CENTER][/CENTER]Read More »

Sensor 1.0 frame/fork only??

Not being a weight weenie or serious racer....more the weekend warrior, I like the GT Sensor 1.0 more and more. Only problem I've found is "frame only" availability. All I need is the frame and fork I have all the other components. Anyone know of anywhere a "frame & fork" combo may be had. Alr ... Read More »

What Fox RP23 for a Sensor 1.0 frame;

Hi all GT fans. I am looking to some offers on a Fox RP23 shock for my Sensor 1.0 frame and as I am totally new on full sussers, I have no idea what to choose. The options I found are: RP23 low volume, high compression, middle rebound RP23 low volume, middle compression, low rebound RP23 high v ... Read More »