GT Marathon Team XC Full Suspension

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

GT ID4 full suspension frame with monocoque carbon fiber front and rear triangles, 4” travel

Submitted by turbofisch a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, ZH, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    great looking and very good allround XC bike

Weaknesses:    The i-drive has tendency to make some noise and needs proper installation. We needed two attemps to get it quite. I didn't like the Kenda tires and changed to
Nobby Nic's.

Bottom Line:
After some year with just a little riding, the bike made me addicted again and therefore a better rider. Going faster with time I do now recognize some limitations from either my riding abilities or the bikes design or setup. I will now invest some time in better setup and fine tuning (fork and shock) of the bike and will see were I can get. Overall I love the bike and would recommend it to people looking for a great looking and versatile cross country bike. My weight is 163 pound and I would recommend it more to lighter riders, as it is not extremly stiff.
I would like to compare it to a 2009 Force Carbon Expert, as this would be a plus for downhill.

Favorite Trail:   Uetliberg

Purchased At:   usedbike

Similar Products Used:   Canondale Hardtail

Bike Setup:   standard except tires and grips

Submitted by PorscheCarKo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought my 2008 GT Marathon Team at Performance Bike a couple of months ago. Being a regular customer of Performance Bike for over 20 years now, I can honestly say it's one of my two favorite places to shop for bikes and parts. I have taken this bike on trails and it's the best ride ever. It's agile, yet comfortable to ride as you would expect from a full suspension bike. I almost feel like I'm on my road bike riding on paved road. For the price(at $4,999 MSRP, $5,999 on 2009 model), this bike is untouchable, you will not find a full suspension carbon frame bike with the same quality and full XTR component. GT competitors now have some catching up to do. I just love this bike and thanks to Performance Bike I got it at a steal.

Similar Products Used:   Mitchell Canyon Trail In The Mount Diablo State Park

Submitted by Jon a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
ok, for the follow up, here is the email from GT BIKES:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jonathan,
There are no reports of defects and certainly no recalls pending.

Happy trails,

Jason Brozek
IBD FAQ and Sales Support
Schwinn/GT/Mongoose
Cannondale Sports Group
1-800-THE-BIKE
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So there it is, nothing wrong with the bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Submitted by Jon a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    Great

Bottom Line:
Are you sure about this??, as you can see I have also purchased this at performance bikes, and I printed your post out went to the store and showed to them.
They said they have no record of anyone buying this bike and then returning it, and there is, to their knowledge, no recall or defect with the bike.

I'm obviously concerned if what you claim is true, but who is telling the truth?

I have sent an email to GT Bikes and linked your comment to that email. I hope they will clarify this for the better or the worse.

Purchased At:   Performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y5

Submitted by Ari a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    Good looks, great parts.

Weaknesses:    Bad frame! I actually returned the bike and was informed that there would be a recall - the seat tube was manufactured incorrectly, leading to it warping under pressure. You can even feel it bulge when sitting on the seat, as the seat post slowly digs its way through the frame. I was also informed that several riders had actually broken their frames while riding.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy unless you're sure that you (a) have a money-back guarantee, or (b) have a frame from a new manufacturing run after the defect is fixed.

Purchased At:   Performance