GT Marathon Sport XC Full Suspension

• Spokes: Stainless steel 14 gauge
  • Tires: 26"x 2.1 Kenda Nevegal

Submitted by Vasily a Cross Country Rider from Russia

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2010

Strengths:    A very good rear suspension. It absolutely doesn't affect on pedaling, when climbing hills, or crossing hard trips. Shifters are good enough (Shimano Deore) and no real need on something better.

Weaknesses:    Fork is better to replace on something more serious, especially if you are using bike in cold countries.

Bottom Line:
Used this bike for three months before winter (better not use it while temperature is below - 5*C, for air shocks safety). Very good bike, very effective suspension. Have tried it on different terrains (XC-roads, dirt, sand, snow) - very nice pedaling, just like on hardtails! This bike for those, who want a comfort and don't wanna lose speed and acceleration cause of full-suspension.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   1000

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Recon 335 Solo Air

Submitted by Malibu412 a Weekend Warrior from Bigfoot Country

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    At this price point, most would guess this is my first FS bike. I had been riding an older Trek 850 hardtail for many years so this ride seems like a quantum jump for me. It comes with a decent component kit out of the box, specifically the frame, SR Suntour Mag 32/Epicon fork and Fox Float R rear shock, WTB SX-24wheels and Nev tires, the Octalink crankset, and Deore shifting gear. These may not be the lightest or best but they have held up well to a Clyde like me at 6'7" and 230lbs.

It handles cobble quite comfortably, has solid grip in the corners, climbs like a goat and can handle 1'-2' drops/jumps quite easily, even with my heft (this is about the most extreme I have tried as it is a CC bike with only 4"/5" of travel rear/front.

Weaknesses:    OEM brakes are Tektro Auriga Comps and I popped the lever retaining shafts on both sides on my first couple of rides with very easy falls, requiring a partial rebuild and repair. Replaced with Juicy Fives.

The stock GT seat post is not for riders over 180lbs and I unintentionally converted it to an offset model. This was upgraded with a Thomson Elite at 410mm.

I had a Specialized Body Geometry saddle from my old hardtail so I replaced the stock WTB with it.

Heavy at 35lbs for XL frame.

Bottom Line:
I picked this $1400 msrp up for $839 on a one-day-only clearance from Performance. Performance offers the online and LBS buying experience as there is a Performance shop about 20 minutes from my home.

After a couple months, I am very pleased with this bike. While it is a little heavy, it is holding up to my weight with the parts changes I have made. (I am now into the bike about $1200 and it does make me wonder if I would have been better off to buy an upgraded model in the first place.) My confidence on all types of terrain, especially more technical stuff that was tough on the hardtail, improves with every ride.

I would recommend this bike to anyone new to mtb-ing who is wanting to try FS in a cross-country setup. Great value for the money. Looking at GT's website, it looks like this model has been replaced by the Sensor 3.0 for 2010. It has some upgrades, mainly brakes, that make it a good choice for a first FS. Ride on.

Favorite Trail:   Anything cross country with some variety

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Trek 850, various Cannondale and Gary Fisher rentals.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for brake, seat post, and saddle upgrades listed above.

Paid Spam -- '09 XL Marathon Sport FS

Selling my 2009 Marathon Sport in size XL. Good chance to get a decent xc fs with not a lot of miles and at a fraction of new prices. I don't ride it enough since going with 29" wheeled bikes. [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=60429&cat=3[/url] [img]http://www.mbpost.com ... Read More »

09 gt marathon sport or 09 gt idrive 5?

New to mountain biking and looking at these two bikes. Keeping the budget ($1300 or less) around these. Want a dual suspension. Please advise. Thanks in advance.Read More »