GT IDXC 4.0 XC Full Suspension

• Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
  • Shifters: Shimano 9 speed

Submitted by Jer a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent hardware/components for the price I paid (Fox float shock, Shimano Deore XT drivetrain, Avid brakes, etc.) Bike is light, pedals and handles well.

Weaknesses:    Racing seat uncomfortable for a weekend rider, adjustments for the Axel comp forks seem to have no effect (also a bit soft, and tend to bob while climbing).

Bottom Line:
For this price, nothing came close. Only bikes in this price range at the local shops were low-end hardtails. Just goes to show you, if you want a great deal go for a closeout on an older model. Better than getting a low-end current model-year bike. Ive ridden it for almost two years and it has been rock solid and reliable.

Purchased At:   Online...

Similar Products Used:   None recently

Bike Setup:   Stock except for power grip pedals/straps.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Seattle area, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Strengths:    This is just about then nicest FS ride you will find for the money. The I-Drive suspension works well, and the bike is a decent weight. This is a good option for those of us on a limited budget and torn between a cheap FS and a hardtail. While I would love to have a $2000 xc bike it is not in my budget and in the end it doesnt matter, this is a nice ride, overall I am happy with my purchase

Weaknesses:    The dogbone on these bikes are thier weakness,I already bent both screws, however GT has a fix for this problem (beefier bolts with an updated bone) Make sure you order the updated parts and a spare kit when you buy the bike. The tires are poor in wet conditions. Crank could be better. No good place to put waterbottle, you are best to use a hydration pack. The bike comes with rim brakes which are light and work fine for the type of riding I currenly do, however you need to replace the wheels to add disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
The IDXC is a nice bike for the $ if you are willing to keep an eye on the dogbone area for problems and dont need disc brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Communtiy Forest Lands

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   older Specialized hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock except with Kenda Negval rear tire.

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from Rutherford, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Shifts great, I-Drive in the back works great to eliminate bobbing.

Weaknesses:    Seat is very uncomfortable. Handlebar stem is way too long on the 21" bike - it's 135mm, and I switched it out for a 80mm, which I find much easier to control. Others have said the brakes are good, but I find that they're very squishy, with very little power. You have to squeeze like hell to get you to stop on a steep downhill. The paint chips extremely easily.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I wanted something that was good mostly on trails, some street riding, and the occasional downhill day. Truthfully, I haven't done much trail riding or street riding with it yet, but I took it downhilling, where the thing beat the crap out of me. The fork just didn't soak up the bumps, and even with the shorter stem, I had to put my butt waaay behind the seat to keep from flipping over the handlebars. Incredibly, though, after a full day of beating the crap out of it (I had to return the favor), it still works perfectly. This is one solid bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the pedals and shorter 80mm stem.

Submitted by Jeremiah a Weekend Warrior from Lake Elsinore, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2006

Strengths:    2005 model, can't find a better bike anywhere near this price. Quality components (Deore LX drivetrain, Fox float shock) and rock solid feel. The bike handles well, and the entry-level Manitou forks actually work just fine for recreational XC riding (and I am pushing 220lbs). The suspension feels balanced on the trail, and there is no pedal bob unless you are out of the saddle hammering on flat ground. So far I have no complaints.

Weaknesses:    Seat is uncomfortable. Paint chips easily. Hubs not disc compatable.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't be happier with this bike. I have recently got back into riding after a LONG absence and wanted a good quality trail bike at a reasonable price. After looking at local shops and online, I found this bike for a great price. I don't realy care about the lack of disc brakes, the Avid v-brakes work great and are fine for SoCal XC riding. Anyone looking for a great deal on a quality entry-level bike (and can assemble/adjust a new bike) should definately check this one out.

Purchased At:   thebicycleoutlet.com

Similar Products Used:   Looked at other bikes in this price range at local shops, KHS, Ironhorse, IBEX (online), but nothing else came close to matching the value of the IDXC.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock so far except for a bottle cage and pump. Near Future plans may include a front disc (but not really necessary), better saddle, computer and platform pedals.

Submitted by DJ a Cross Country Rider from Cedarburg, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Strengths:    I-Drive system is great for accelerating and climbing. Much lighter than some more expensive bikes in the same category. Stock components will certainly serve the purposes of most beginners. Great rear shock, brakes (non-disc) and wheels. I'm really impressed with how much bike you get for the money.

Weaknesses:    If you are interested in disc brakes, you should know before hand that this bike does not have disc hubs... that was really inconvenient... also the wheels are great but the tires suck...

Bottom Line:
The bike is awesome for the price... I set out to replace everything that doesn't have a 4.0 rating or higher on mtbr. Really though, for the money you can't expect anything more, it is a great bike and you can get it for 600 bucks right now on ebay (new). The only big complaint I have is that it doesn't come with disc hubs.
The I-Drive system is more than just a gimmick. My force finally is used to go forward rather than straight down. This bike is definitely the answer to someone looking for a full suspension but scared of price or wasted energy... Get the comfort of a full sus, and the geometery of a hardtail... great bike. Like a previous reviewer mentioned, I'm sure the more expensive models can only be sweeter.

Similar Products Used:   a cheap mongoose full suspension and I messed around on my brothers Fuel for a while... (I wouldn't trade my current set up!)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Avatar seat, race face evolve DH crank with bashring, marzocchi AM fork, IRC tires, Avid Mech Disc Brakes, Hope XC disc hubs... more coming (performance on a budget)

Submitted by Creighton GT a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    Great price for a full suspension ride. Solid frame. Reliable componetry.

Weaknesses:    Very limited adjustability regarding both front and rear suspension. Heavy components.

Bottom Line:
I'm coming from a 10 year hiatus. I was huge into mountain biking when I was in high school, and this bike brought me back 100%. I'm a bit of a tech. weenie when it comes to my pursuits, but I'm really satisfied with this bike. I can flick it through technical singletrack, it shifts when I need I need it to, and the price was right.

As far as the fork is concerned, it hasn't let me down; however, I'm 6'4" and weigh around 185, so it doesn't take much for me to just shove the Axle Elite down. I simply opted to put on a lighter, more adjustable fork.

I've put 100 miles onto this bike this month alone, and everytime I ride I get a little more psyched about it. At first, the hill climbing wasn't going my way, but it takes some time to adjust to full suspension and a new ride. Now, I'm climbing whatever comes my way...and diggin' it.

The upper-end models of this bike can only be sweeter, but if you're just looking to start out, or like building up a bike yourself, pick this one up. You'll be stoked.

Five Chillis for the price (don't pay more than $700). Four Chillis due to the fork, but if you're a weekend warrior, or new to the sport, you'll never notice the difference!

Favorite Trail:   Fast XC with big hills

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was a Trek 9800 carbon hardtail.

Bike Setup:   05 GT iDXC stock (for now), save a Manitou Minute 2:00 fork.

Submitted by Dom a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Lightness, plushness, overall quality of componentry, especially the Avid SD5 Vs - fantastic stopping power and durability. Good price for the spec. Great XC geometry, sensible bars etc. Adjustable fork and quality air shock, still a bit hit and miss in this price range.

Weaknesses:    lack of disc hubs, inelegant frame design. Esentially still a budget XC bike so performance is understandably compromised

Bottom Line:
This is a bike which I bought for my girlfriend, so she could join me on rides. So you know where I'm coming from, I ride a specialised Epic S-Works, which Followed a Trek Fuel 100, and spend far too much time playing with/riding bikes, so I'm fairly fussy....

I wasn't impressed at all with the other bikes which I demoed, the Kona and the Specialised. They both felt significantly heavier than the GT, and the suspension on both rode in a very dead, thudding way, (with extremely harsh fork topout in the case of the Kona) despite any limited adjustments I could make. The GT, on the other hand, feels extremely active at both front and rear, with smooth and progressive shock action which is sensitive enough to the small stuff whilst still maintaining impressive control over larger hits/roots etc.

The ride position and cockpit are excellent. GT have sensibly (for an XC bike) steered clear of the current fad for putting the highest rise bars and shortest stem they can find on all their bikes. The low rise bar on the ID XC gives just enough set-back to inspire confidence and help leverage, whilst still allowing enough stretch for easy breathing and all-day comfort, quite different to the 'jump'/sit-up-and-beg positioning of either of the others.

The bike feels impressively light for a cheap full-susser, which lends a very engaging and responsive ride. This is in no small part attributable to the brakes, which are extremely high-quality bits of kit from Avid (not the usual 'alloy' knockoffs, as on the FSR). Power is immediate and plentiful, no sponginess but plenty of modulation, especially for a lighter rider, and the weight-saving over budget cable discs found elsewhere is appreciable. For the loose/rooty UK conditions that we ride in, the tyres also provide plenty of grip, and the wide front tyre has enough volume to tune out most trail buzz, if being a little slow-rolling.

Shifting is reliably immediate from quality LX componentry front and rear, though the feel of the lower-level shifters is a little plasticky/rattly. To date, though, they've performed well.

The only caveats I would have would be for heavier riders, who may wish to consider disc brakes, though I'd say that the Avid Vs found here are the rival of many cheap cable discs.

Overall, a confidence-inspiring ride for a beginner full-susser, with a well-rounded parts package at a bargain price. The frame quality is excellent (if exceptionally complex in design) with sealed bearings throughout. The ride is engaging and feedback/acceleration are impressive at this pricepoint; the handling is light enough to be flicked through technical trailwork, whilst the riding position still allows for all-out speed on the smoother stuff.

Purchased At:   Evans

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kikapu, Specialised FSR XC (various hardtails in the same price bracket, though obviously these can't really be compared). Also looked at Trek's Fuel 70.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Jamey a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    GT I-Drive is great, cost, Mid level bike for low price.

Weaknesses:    Tires, derailers, seat.

Bottom Line:
Nice set up for the price. Fox float is comfortable and the GT I Drive system really helps the rear suspension responsond like a hard tail. The front fork is a Manitou Axel Elite 100mm travel which is ok but the adjustments (bound & rebound)are not even noticable. Shimano Deore LX derailers are also mid level but after 10 hours of riding I have not had a problem yet (knock on wood). The Tioga tires come stock and are a real poor choice by GT for this bike. They just do not respond well to smooth cement, sand, mud,or rock and are only useful on hard dirt. The SDG Satellite seat is also not a quality/comfortable piece of equipment and needs to be replaced ASAP. This bike does not come with disc brakes (nor does the rim have the option to upgrade to them) but the Avid brakes are actually pretty good but do require some adjusting from time to time. This bike is a really nice purchase for the price I paid and if you are just a "Weekend Warrior" like me who is looking for a great all around bike this is one to look at. I love everything so far besides the Tioga tires which do not grip well to any surface but... After testing about 10 other bikes in this price range (Diamondback, Haro, Iron Horse, Ibex, Mongoose, etc.), this bike blew them away with the I Drive system from GT. Great bike for a great price and I am very happy I got this bike.

Similar Products Used:   Tested about 12 different bikes before purchase so...

Bike Setup:   Still all stock after 1 week but needs a few upgrades.

the mono shock flange weld on IDxc 4.0 2005

I have an ID XC 4.0 2005 Below is a rough top view of the part in question. My first frame cracked on the mono shock weld that connects to the down tube. crack was on the perpendicular weld >> right here >>>>>> -------------- ... Read More »

clicking noice on GT IDXC 4.0 unsolved mystery

I greased the BB splines, the Pedals, The seat post, and the saddle rails I sprayed lube on the linkage for the I drive. The cranks are Truvativ 5 D the chain Hhimano hg 9 speed , The bike IS GT idxc 4.0 with fox float shock When I am out of the saddle unless I hold a straight-line means no s ... Read More »

Gt Idxc 4.0

I am looking at an 2005 gt idxc 4.0 what do you think. anybody out there have one? can you still get parts for these bikes if you have a problem. I am also condidering a Jamis Dakota AL ( 04 hardtail) that is about the same price (better components, but a hardtail) and a Marin Eldridge gra ... Read More »