GT IDXC 1.0 XC Full Suspension

• Chain: HG-73 Nine Speed
  • Rims: DT Swiss

Submitted by Tom Ellis a Cross Country Rider from Amarillo, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Components

Weaknesses:    dog-bone bolts, frame, warranty

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike at local bike shop in 2004. Had the same problems with the dog-bone bolts discussed in other bolts. Sheared off two of them as they came loose while riding. The frame broke behind the bottom bracket during a ride that gave the opportunity me to hike 3 miles back to the trail-head. Xtreme Sports had the bike warrantied and GT sent me a 2006 IDXC 1.0 as a replacement.
This frame also cracked. This time on the top tube, 3/4 of the circumference and just behind the weld at the head tube.
The new owner of bike shop tried to warranty the frame. I was offered a 4.0 and a 2.0 frame was sent to the LBS. Both unacceptable (just what does equal or greater value mean?). Six weeks and still waiting for GT to come through on the warranty. I'm taking parts off the GT frame now and putting them on my Gary Fisher.

If you ride these frames, check them for cracks before, after, and during your ride. Good luck

Favorite Trail:   Capital Peak with a side of Snure's Spur

Thompson Elite seat post
WTB Saddle w/titanium rails
DT-Swiss rims and spokes
XTR hubs
WTB Mutano Raptors (tires)
Race Face Stem
Easton EA30 flat bar
YETI locking grips

Submitted by Greg Jetnikoff a Racer from Townsville

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    This is an update on the review written previously. The cracked frame problem has been solved by the NEW Australian distributor honoring the warranty of the old distributor. Unfortunately for my girlfriend the frame cracks were discovered as the old distributor folded and it took a while for the new dist. to get up to speed.

Weaknesses:    On the Blue model frame craks in assorted places. My later white model has no such problems and I ride much harder and am much heavier. Also the "dogbone" between the frame and the Floating BB break ( every single one) later model with rubber encasing to reduce the transients seems to be OK. Front Fox forks ( F100R) suck. compression damping problem. Fox fixed mine but hers are stil stock and crap.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a very good value high quality bike with proven distributor backup ( it is NOT their fault that it took so long , just a bad set of timing). I commend them highly for honouring the product warranty and putting the time ( am effort and money) into supporting their new product.
This bike IS a seriously good endurance racing bike. Mine has now done the Herberton 8hr and the Scott 24hr and in still sharp and nimble ( with Rock Shox Revelations and an XTR HIGH normal rear der.). The latest model has the Revelations standard so they are continue to improve on a good product

Favorite Trail:   Tai chi

Purchased At:   Toys R us

Similar Products Used:   I own a Santa Cruz Blur, and a Rocky mountain ETSX 90 Scandium

Bike Setup:   see previous test. Frame was replaced with the latest model IDXC 4 1.0. which has a large number of differences but still has the superb sharp handling with an easy stable overtone.

Submitted by Greg Jetnikoff a Cross Country Rider from Townsville, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Strengths:    Side stiffness brilliant. Good spec except below. Handles soem things well again see below. Good riding position. Rear suspension is extremely good once set up well but is not a very compliant if that is what suits you. Travels fast well on rough courses.This review is being written on behalf of my riding buddy for team races and ex girlfriend who does not have access to web.

Weaknesses:    WARNING!!!! after being informed by a fellow rider about a large number of cracks in the frame we decided to have a thorough inspection of the frame after we returned from the race ( 8 hr XC). The rider of this bike only weighs 60 kg ( about 132bs) but there is a crack underneath and behind the weld between the top and down tube , across the top tube.
She has been riding it for about 18mths and does not jump ( at all) nor do substantial dropoffs ( it just isn't her style). We will see how the warranty plays out as apparently the Australian Distributor is out of business.
Front forks have a serious problem at slow speed of locking then plunging through their travel. I replaced mine on my 2006 model with a pair of Rock shox revelations and end of problem ( never thought a change from fox to roxshox would be an up grade but it sure is is this case).
Normal low rear derailleur is the stupidest idea I have ever come across.
Dogbone broke but was replaced on warranty with later model

Bottom Line:
CHECK all areas around welds for cracks. Low normal derailluer a pain in the but for riding that requires quick multiple downshifting ( as in our trails). Will update when I find out what happens with the cracking frame. It is a pity bucause the owner loves the bike but is a single mother and a student and if bike dies she won't be riding off raod any longer.
Review is for quality of riding experience and will change if warranty frame problems can not be resolved

Favorite Trail:   Tai Chi