GT I-Drive XC 1.0 XC Full Suspension

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by JesseXC#223 a Cross Country Rider from Andover, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    Good suspension, brakes, components, & etc.

Weaknesses:    Swingarm, dogbone bolts, & lacks a lockout for the rear shock. Cruddy tires too.

Bottom Line:
Great bike once you have the swingarm warranteed, tires replaced, and replace the dogbone bolts with high-strength ones. Bobs a bit much climbing hills but does everything else with a passion. To me it's a high price to pay for a 4" travel bike.

Favorite Trail:   Murphy Hanrehan

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Similar Products Used:   None. 1st real mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Suspension is set very stiff in back (slow compression)/(slow rebound), and the front is set a little softer but faster compression & fast rebound.

Submitted by shane heginbotham a Weekend Warrior from mansfield

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    Handleing, climbing, decending, light (ish) weight and crazy grip and stability in the corners.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really I bought the frame on its own off e-bay and speced it myself.

Bottom Line:
All the bits off this bike are straight of my old zaskar. I changed to this frame because i ride a lot in wales and i was feeling beaten up after i finished.

The first thing i noticed about this bike was how much grip it had through the corners. You can stay in the saddle and carry a lot more speed compared with the zaskar i had previous. The back end is very plush and it feels like you have more travel than there actually is. It is also amazing on the technical climbs. Its so forgiving!

Its very good around technical switchbacks the front wheel never tries to wash out and if you need to it is easy to provoke the bike into a two wheel drift through bermed sections. The bike just goes where you point it.

All the parts i have on this bike work very well to. This bike has covered about 400 miles since i have had it. I have never serviced the i drive or had any problems with it (i weigh 13 stone)either. Nothing has come lose. I just clean and oil it and abuse it at the weekends.

I dont do any jumps or silly drop offs, just rocky xc riding so if that is what you do then you will love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   dragons back coed-y-brenin

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   1999/2000 GT i-drive xcr 2000. Loads of other hardtails (i am 30 and have been riding mtbs for 20 years) including a 2005 GT zaskar. Always loved GTs though.

Bike Setup:   Hope m4 + mono + hubs and skewers. Mavic ceramic rims (ran v brakes at one point), panaracer fire xc tires. Xt f,mch cassettte + hollow tech 2 cranks. Sram x9 r mech + shifters, sram chain (shimano ones snap easy). Easton ea 70 bar/stem. Race face deuce s-post. Gobi fizik ti saddle. Fox rl rear shock and rs reba team u-turn poplock front.

Submitted by steve kotajarvi from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    Great pedaling fs, very nice balance

Weaknesses:    flex bone and bolts*

Bottom Line:
I've used this bike at Quarry park, Blue Mounds, and Kettle Moraine and its been very user freindly for different riding spots. I did get updated stronger flex bone bolts and flex bone form my dealer, they now have a teflon sleeve on the threads to keep them in place and are made of a stronger steel.

Favorite Trail:   blue mounds

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Williamson Bicycle Works

Similar Products Used:   nrs, fsr, jekyl

Bike Setup:   riser bars, u-turn fork, and different tire sizes for different riding spots.

Submitted by Brent Camero a Cross Country Rider from Taupo, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    See previous review.

Bottom Line:
I've now ridden about 2500km on the bike. Replace one chain, middle ring, cassette, front brake pads and set of rear shock bushes. Tried a number of different tyre combinations. Overall still very happy with the bike. I have had one minor problem though. I noticed that the BB link was a bit loose but couldn't tighten it enough to take the play out of it. I contacted the NZ distributor and he sent me a set of shims (no charge) which I fitted and it fixed the problem. As for the XT dual control system. I don't know why it gets so much flack. It works flawlessly and I have only adjusted it once in my 2500km on the bike. That's hard to fault.

Favorite Trail:   The Coaster, Craters of the moon, Taupo

Purchased At:   Hot Cycles, Auckland, NZ.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Strengths:    thought this bike rode very well especially on the downhill took the corners fast and hard.

Weaknesses:    The I-drive system bites. i had nothing but problems, the flex bone bolt snapped several times as well as the flex bone itself all during long trail rides and limped back to base. Destroyed I-drive system and the whole thing was replaced. had heaps of play in the bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
I couldnt believe the amount of problems i had with the i-drive components, considering that the bike is built on this system it was hopeless. despite this the ride was quite good but being disabled during a race sucks.

Bike Setup:   standard setup

Submitted by Red Rider a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    Nice components and good balanced feel. It is a great decender. Really smooth and fast. The more I rode it the more I liked it.

Weaknesses:    The little dog bone or whatever it is called comes loose and I have snapped the head off one of the bolts twice!! I'm 250lbs and ride hard. I'm probably a little too heavy for this bike. I also have to pump up the rear shock to 280lbs so it doesnt bob to bad. Kinda feels like i'm riding on grass sometimes. I don't like standing to hammer up hill on this bike. If I stay seated it is ok.

Bottom Line:
Great bike if you are not a clydesdale and if you keep all the silly gadgets tight. The Fox shock is sweet on the front. Handle bars are a little goofy but has taken me on some sweet rides and i'm not going to compain.

Favorite Trail:   Amasa Back

Purchased At:   Shop deal

Similar Products Used:   Came from a KHS hard tail that was sweet.

Bike Setup:   full XT. swapped to XTR pedals and different grips.

Submitted by Brent Cameron a Cross Country Rider from Taupo, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Bargin price for full XT spec/Fox Float R / RP3 equiped XC bike. (Brand new 05 model). Tracks extremely well regardless of the terrain. Well balanced front and rear with a great alround feel whether climbing, desending, breaking or whatever.

Weaknesses:    The front deraillier cops every bit of mud/dust that touches the rear tyre. Same goes for bottle cage position from the front tyre. The Fox F100R fork feels great but bobs a lot when really hammering out of the saddle. The RL model would be a better choice for this bike.

Bottom Line:
Very happy so far. I have experenced none of the problems that have been mentioned about the 04 XC 1.0.(Dog bone coming loose etc). The bike came equiped standard with Tioga Yellow Kirin and Blue Dragon tyres which seemed a strange choice for an XC bike. They handled well but were pretty heavy. I replaced the 110mm stem for a shorter one which quickened the steering a lot. The bike now turns in a lot faster with no under steer. I also replaced the Look 4 x 4 pedals for the Candys. Just personal preference. I have done 500km or so and have not experenced any dramas. The handling is very neutral which enspires confidence at speed and just makes you want to go faster.

Favorite Trail:   Craters of the moon, Taupo

Purchased At:   Hot Cycles, Auckland, NZ.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic and a number of hard tails.

Bike Setup:   70mm Kore lite 3 stem, Maxxis Larsen TT tyres, Candy SL pedals, small mud guard for front deraillier. Otherwise standard 05 spec.

Submitted by bert Heathwood a Racer from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    Great on long choppy rides, not as quick as a hardtail, but definitely no tractor.

Weaknesses:    F100R fork has been trouble, stock XT brake pads wear too quick, no decent bottle cage mounts

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my first review. Now that I've put heaps more air in the rear climbs better than ever. I find I leave the pro-pedal setting on the RP3 on intermediate or off and the bike still climbs well.

I've had problems with the F100r forks, at first the rebound was stuck on 'way too slow', now their, 'so fast you top-out every time you pull a mono/ drop-off'. LBS will probbaly fix 'em quick, but I've ran Duke SL's on my hardtail for ages with no problems what-so-ever. I must admit though that for the short time they worked properly, they felt fantastic.

The bike is great, stock-bars are a bit wierd, but I think that about all risers.

The GT will be my weapon of choice for 24hr and more technical XC races, but I'll revert to my hardtail (Norco Fireball) for races where hill sprints are the real decider.

Favorite Trail:   Prospect Hill

Purchased At:   Trak Norwood ($3500AUD)

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XC, Specialised Epic (demoed)

Bike Setup:   Stock: XT(everything), Fox 100R forks and RP3 shock, DT Swiss 4.1D rims, Syncase bars and stem, GT post. Swapped eggbeater C's for Candy SL's and SDG saddle for WTB

Submitted by pedro sanchez from maine

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    suspension works really well, full xt group

Weaknesses:    tires, bars, grips. all gone now tho'. paint is just okay. hard to find, not many high end GT dealers around.

Bottom Line:
nice job by a company that has been left for dead in the eyes of many. I had some issues with the flex bone as others mentioned but solved it with loctite and stainless lock washers. Been riding for a month without having to tighten. rides as smooth as the old system with the add benefit of being able to ride whatever air pressure you want in the rear. Seems stiffer in the rear end than my old i-drive. Climbing in or out of the saddle is excellent. Welcome back GT.

Similar Products Used:   cake, blur, fsr, earlier i-drive, tracer, sledgehammer

Bike Setup:   thomson stuff, handbuilt wheels w/hadley hubs, monkey lite, crappy old saddle that I really like.

Submitted by Bert Heathwood from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    Have given 2005 ID-XC baptism of fire by taking 1-week old bike into BikeSA Dirty Weekend24hr race, SOLO. 2nd place so am happy. Climbs well, descends better, corners, looks great.

Weaknesses:    None yet, although I have already bent the rear deraileur hanger and broken a bit off one of the pedals, but actually stood up well considering crash took out my helmet.

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the dollars on local market. Not as light as a hardtail, but with gradual weigt-weeny upgrades will rock. 2005 model seems to have addressed lots of the complaints in reviews of 2004 id-xc's. Still, have only ridden 300k's so will find out more later. Real torture tests to come...

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Trak Cycles Norwood

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar, Specialied Epic

Bike Setup:   2005 factory build, fox-rp3 rear shock, Fox f100r fork, XT everything, DT-swis rims, have swapped saddle for tried and trusted wtb rocket-v and egg-beater c's (now broken) for my old candy sl's.

Submitted by Terral_s a Cross Country Rider from Chatou, France

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    I still feel basically the same on the strengths since my last write up...Light, Responsive, good power application, tight cornering, did i mention light?? Those Syncro rims actually seem to hold up quite well. I've taken them through some nice drops, followed by some really nice bails... :-) They held up better than me. Fractured ankle...

Weaknesses:    That freakin' bottom bracket that loves to wiggle loose, really loves to wiggle loose. So believe me it's best to buy this bike as long as they give u a small bottle of loc-tite ( I said silicon in my last post, I meant loc-tite) My other MAJOR issue is the poor quality in designing the cable stays and the lack of protection for the paint with regards to the cables rubbing the frame. I've place pieces of Velcro around the cables everywhere they touch the frame. Seems to work OK. Now the pedals are Shimano and I am not feeling them at all. definitely the next change out after them not releasing resulting in fracture in ankle! YES they were adjusted properly, or so I thought!!!
One other thing the paint is not of the same quality as my old GT. It may have something to do with the change-- Old Bike:Made in USA** New bike: Designed in USA, made in CHINA

Bottom Line:
Still a very cool ride, but don't take my word for it try the thing. It took some adjusting to the ride but once you adjust it heaven. I even had to "relearn" how to climb with the thing, it applies the power so directly that the bike would shoot from under me. I really have to sit far forward on the bike when I climb, it's no issue just an adjustment....

Purchased At:   VTT Center in Paris 15 arr.

Similar Products Used:   I'm a GT MAN only GT every since BMXing.
GT XCR1000

Bike Setup:   Still stock except. Grips, bar ends, Front tire I couldn't stand that little Red phoenix in front, I had to upgrade to a 2.10 in front 1.90 still in back. Neck assembly Little Ritchey

Submitted by Nate a Racer from Logan, UT, US

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2005

Strengths:    -No pedal bob while spinning
-Light
-Stiff
-Good part spec for price (Can't beat it complete for $2500)
-Massive pivots
-Durable so far
-Endless travel feelings

Weaknesses:    -"Dogbone" (BB connector) comes loose every couple rides
-Stock bars are very narrow
-No full length seattube
-Unheard of rims with machined brake surfaces (Syncros "lil' Snapper")-What?
-Could do better with the stock tires
-Does bob when standing and crushing (no pedal platform in DT Swiss rear shock)
-Paint is easily scratched
-Not available as a frame alone

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great bike for the money. Pacific is working hard to bring GT's name out of the trash heap, and this bike has done it for me. The component spec, for the price, is outstanding. Full XT kit (even down to the hubs), with almost every other part on the bike recoginizeable for the brand (04 part spec). The Fox Float fork is superb, although I would've liked having the RL or RLC version rather than just the 100R. Only weak spot I could find in the component group was the rims and tires. Unheard of OEM Syncros lil' Snapper rims, along with Tioga Red Phoenix 1.9 tires. GT Seemed a little unsure if they wanted to spec this out as a pure XC racey-type bike, or as an all-day trailbike. The fork and wheels to me say "trailbike", but the rear shock and tires said "race". The 2005 version seems to have fixed that, with beefier tires and a more suitable rear shock.

The frame itself is excellently designed, and the i-Drive system cancels out nearly all pedal induced suspension feedback. It climbs like a rocket and descends like a 7 year old on speed, the travel feels more or less endless. Only beef I have with the rear suspension is in the rear shock. The lightness of the DT Swiss SSD225 rear shock might appeal to racers, but the lack of adjustability options is a big negative to me. The shock only has a rebound adjust dial and the air pressure settings, nothing else. While the i-Drive almost makes a pedaling platform worthless, it can't control the bob when standing and hammering. With the addition of a propedal or SPV shock, the ID-XC wouldn't bob at all, ever. I intend to upgrade to either a Fox RP3 or a 5th Element rear shock in a couple months, and will update when I do so.

I really would like to see GT make this available as a frame alone. I bought the bike to race on, and the original part spec didn't really appeal to me. I also did not like the full XT group, as I'm not a big fan of Dual Control at all. So far I have switched out the fork for a Reba Team, which seems to be a better race fork than the Float. I really would like to switch out the XT stuff for SRAM and Hope, but that will probably never become a reality.

Overall, this is an awesome bike for the weekend warrior and trail rider. With a few tweaks, it makes an excellent XC/24 Hour race bike as well. GT seems to have improved the part spec for 05 where it matters, in the rear shock and wheels, although with minimal downgrades in the cockpit components. Excellent bike.

Purchased At:   Joyride Bikes

Similar Products Used:   First full-sus bike, previously Homegrown and KHS hardtails

Bike Setup:   2004 Stock, except the fork has been swapped for something a little racier, a RS Reba Team, and ODI Lock-ons

Submitted by DJ a Cross Country Rider from PHILLIPS RANCH, CA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2005

Strengths:    FAILY LIGHT WEIGHT: SUB - 26 POUNDS. FAST. AGILE. PLUSH FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION. MINIMAL PEDAL INDUCED BOB. SMOOTH RIDE. PRETTY GOOD CLIMBER. PRETTY GOOD DECENDER. GOOD RELIABLE DISC BREAKS. GOOD BIKE FOR THE PRICE I BOUGHT IT FOR. WOULD RECOMMEND FOR CROSS COUNTRY RIDER INTERMEDIATE TO UPPER LEVEL SKILL/EXERIENCE LEVEL.

Weaknesses:    NARROW/SMALL WIDTH HANDLE BARS. CAN USE SOME BETTER TIRES SUITED FOR CORNERING, CLIMBING, AND LESS ROLLING RESISTANCE. THE SHIMANO PEDALS, GT GRIPS AND GT STEM DON'T WORK FOR ME IN TERMS OF FIT, FUNCTION, AND/OR WEIGHT. MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST BIKE FOR A SERIOUS RACER OR AGRESSIVE FREERIDER.

Bottom Line:
THERE WILL PROBABLY BE NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST BIKE FOR ANYONE FOR ANY TYPE OF RIDING STYLE OR ANY RIDING CONDITION, BUT THIS BIKE WORKS PRETTY WELL FOR A SERIOUS CROSS COUNTRY RIDER SUCH AS MYSELF. IT MIGHT NOT CLIMB, ACCELERATE, OR WEIGHT AS LIGHT AS WELL AS MY CARBON HARDTAIL, BUT I GIVE IT 4 OUT OF 5 MODERATE TO HOT CHILIS.

Favorite Trail:   LAGUNA BEACH/TOP OF THE WORLD

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   SUPERGO IN SANTA MONICA

Bike Setup:   ALL STOCK, EXCEPT I SWAPPED THE STOCK COMPONENTS WITH THE FOLLOWING: EASTON MONKEY LITE CARBON RISER HANDLE BARS, TIME XS PEDALS, SPECIALIZED BODY GEOMETRY GRIPS, AND MAXXIS TIRES.

Submitted by Terral S a Cross Country Rider from Chatou

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Responsive, good power application, tight cornering, XC-ellent I-drive setup....

Weaknesses:    That Damned bottom bracket which wiggles itself loose EVERY hour of riding or so. I will try to place some silicon on the end to hold in place

Bottom Line:
The bike setup is NICE, I mean really nice.. This XC rides smooth everywhere. When I apply power I feelassured that the power is delivered between to the tire and applied at the ground.

Great bike for medium to beginning upper class riders. I feel that if mayu bit too much for beginners

I cant seem to adjust to the handlebars they seem shorter than my old XCR1000 stock bars. Hmmmm. i will measure later...

I will write again later

Favorite Trail:   Forest of Port Marly