GT i-Drive 4 5.0 XC Full Suspension

• Shifters: SRAM X7
  • Spokes: Stainless steel 14 gauge

Submitted by ydelacosta a Racer from Miami

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2011

Strengths:    Solid frame

Weaknesses:    Overall weight. After replaceing just about everything i have it down to 22lbs.

Bottom Line:
As others stated, great full suspension bike ready for myriad of upgrades. It does have that "creak" since as far back as i can recall, but with an iPod, it never becomes an issue.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, marzocci bomber front shox, fsa cranks, egg beaters, fsa carbon neck and bars, no tubes tire systems, mavic crossrides..nuff said

Submitted by josephcuiba a Racer from Torrance

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Brakes. Handle Bars. Saddle. Frame Design.

Weaknesses:    Stupid God Damn Wish Bone Piece. Ive fabricated a piece out of......what is it like....1/8 steel. but i keep breaking the bolts. Its annoying. Oh yeah tiny pedals. Too thin rims too. yea i really cant complain too much, you get what you pay.

Bottom Line:
Tis a good bike, but the design flaw of the weak wishbone kills. you get what you poay for. i really wish i had the funds for a decent road bike. I mean i really enjoy riding this bike. i dont hate it at all.

Favorite Trail:   steep hills with fast turns

Purchased At:   Performance Cycle

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   everything is pretty much factory. Although I've put on Forte Shovel Pedal, Ergon ergonic grips considering I live in the city and dont get the chance to get out to any real trails, considering that this bicycle is my primary of transport at the moment. I bought some rims called LOCO from Performance Cyclce about two years ago, i believe they are now called XENDURO. but whatever. And only recently some Forte Metro 26x1.5 compared to the nubby 26x2.4.

Submitted by keithski a Cross Country Rider from UK/France

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    The i drive is excellent, this bike steers and holds the bumps just great.

Weaknesses:    Non for me.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a 4.0 but I love it so much that I have upgraded all of the componentry, it is now simply awesome. I fell in love with i drive with my last bike which was an i drive 5 2.0 which I also upspeced and someone made me an offer that was too good to be true so I sold it. The i drive to me is the best handling sus frame that I have used, yes GT have now made the Force, but this bike is now so good I dont have any need to change it, unless someone else makes me an awesome offer !!!.

Favorite Trail:   Thrunton woods

Purchased At:   Alpinesports Morzine

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Teolcali Elite, specialized, Giant.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded the forks to Rockshox Pike, rear mech and triggers are now SRAM XO, the rear shock to a Fox RP23, the brakes are now Formula ORO k18s, Cranks seat post and stem are now Race Face. The wheels sets have been changed to SB3 freeride sets, pedals now atomlab G1's and all bearings are now ceramic.

Submitted by billtimmy@yahoo.com a Weekend Warrior from west palm beach, fl

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Price. I-drive full suspension flattens the trail and climbs like a hardtail. The rear shock is a basic Fox Float with no adjustments other than air pressure but that's okay because the I-drive system doesn't require a pro-pedal or lock out.

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavy, mine is an XL that weighs in at 33 lb. But I paid a cheap hardtail price for a good full suspension bike!

Bottom Line:
This is a great ride for low bucks. I will probably upgrade to a Force 1.0 in a few years. I am definitely sold on GT and the I-drive system!

Favorite Trail:   oleta river

Purchased At:   kim's bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   I did away with the Tektro brakes because, though they were self-centering, they were always dragging no matter how much time I spent adjusting them and they made the brake handles soft. I replaced those with some Hayes MX4's that are cheap but awesome. They adjust in minutes and stay good for weeks of hard riding. I also did away with the pedals, seat, and replaced the front derailleur with a Shimano XTR. The Deore that came with the bike made me push hard all the way through to get a good shift. The XTR only requires me to put the shifter on the number I want and it does the rest.

Submitted by jaredhhhh a Weekend Warrior from leesburg florida

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    light weight good for climbing well balanced great for those just getting in to mtbing not too expensive feels very sturdy i-drive is great technology

Weaknesses:    umm the cables wear the the paint alot but not a whole lot

Bottom Line:
great starter bike looks good

Favorite Trail:   cyclone at santos

Purchased At:   kims bike shop

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz nomad

Bike Setup:   the way it came mine has the fox float though not the rock shox

Submitted by orion1 a Downhiller from golden co usa

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    cheap, light weight, great starter bike

Weaknesses:    back wheel kicks up when hit drop and jumps not stable in the air at all bike is made to stay on the ground. and rims are very unstable after awhile

Bottom Line:
its a great bike for a beginner mountain biker but i would not suggest it if you are a aggressive rider who like to push it downhill. but for me i am so surprised how well it stood up to my abuse i could take this off six foot drops to a flat landing and it would be fine all you would have to do is be a smooth rider and land on the back wheel.

Favorite Trail:   apex

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   giant trance 1 and 2

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jeff Barber a Weekend Warrior from Dickson

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    The bike climbs like a m*********r! A great entry full suspension bike that has held up well as I have adavanced from beginner trails to now handling expert trails.

Weaknesses:    None really. The front & rear deraileurs are not top of the line but I don't think you can expect that when you get a full suspension bike for under a $1000.

Bottom Line:
A great entry full suspension bike that didn't break the bank. As I have improved the bike has never held me back. It excels at climbing. It doesn't have the higher quality components as many higher priced bikes do, but the only component I could complain about has been the rear deraileur (SRAM X5). I am aware that this deraileur is a base model and will probably upgrade within the next year. Although it (X5) has caused me trouble it still performs day in day out, it's just not the quietest nor smoothest.

Favorite Trail:   Montgomery Bell State Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Older GT hardtail & GT I-Drive 5 4.0

Bike Setup:   Stock--the way it came. Mine came with a fox float rear shock instead of the Rock Shox. It has performed fine.

Submitted by Jayme a Weekend Warrior from belvidere/rockford, il

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    pedals great for a fs. much better than my old walmart special. cruises over roots and rocks really well.

Weaknesses:    pedals arent the greatest. the top bar is just a bit too high.

Bottom Line:
this is my first quality bike. love it. great for anyone like me looking to get more serious into mtbing.

Favorite Trail:   superford4x4@yahoo.com

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   walmart crap

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Slyp a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    pedals very nicely, geometry is good for trail riding, shifting is much better than the shifters on my old bike, good tires stock

Weaknesses:    baseline Float shock. not adjustable except for air pressure, and mine isn't holding any more than 180psi. ungodly heavy fork that isn't adjustable at all, and doesn't give the rated travel. top tube that's lethally high that can hit the brake levers if you wipe out and the wheel turns

Bottom Line:
good bike for the money, but it has it's downsides also. first, the air shock has NO adjustments other than air pressure, and for some reason my shock won't consistantly hold more than 180-190psi. the fork is as heavy as a lot of longer travel AM/FR single crown forks, it's sprung heavily enough that I can't get more than half travel out of it, and is simply not adjustable, despite the claimed preload adjustment that in 7-8 months of owning the bike I still can not find. that being said, it's a very fun bike to ride on smoother trails and when properly set up can handle quite a bit of abuse.

Favorite Trail:   most anything on dirt as long as It is ridable

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   $50 toysrus full squish bike

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, but with Ergon grips, Bell tires, WTB Speed V Rec saddle, topeak under steat bag, SKS fenders front and rear

Submitted by JOSEPH HARTER a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    This bike will climb anything that you put in front of it with ease. I was amazed at how fast I could fly down the rough stuff without getting beat up. little or no pedal
bob, solid frame with lots of room to upgrade, awsome bike for the price

Weaknesses:    Other than the heavy fork and the x5 rear derailleur I have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this bike to anyone looking to upgrade from a hardtail to a full suspension as I did. The bikes performance greatly exceeds the price. It pedals great uphill and bombs downhill. I-drive system always has worked very well. If you do big drops this is not your ride. If you like riding fast, technical trails this is your ride.
I got lucky when I bought the bike, performance didnt have the bike in stock so I ordered it in the store and got a 15% discount for spending 75.00. Then they gave me an aditional 10% off for a Tuesday lunch special between 12:00 and 2:00. This was the icing on the cake for me.

Favorite Trail:   BLANKETS CREEK

Purchased At:   PERFORMANCE

Similar Products Used:   Tested a Cannondale Prophet, Iron Horse warrior

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Kenda tires, WTB saddle, shimono 540 pedals. more upgrades to come when the flow comes in

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Yosemite, CA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Pedals like a champ - I was amazed at how much faster I could pedal up the rough stuff. It has a very low center of gravity which really helps it track down the twists and gives it lots of stability on the rocks. After tweaking the shifters they work very well.

Weaknesses:    Weight & Components - I already ditched the fork and will slowly replace the other components over time as need. Brake rotor came bent, but straightened easily. No good place for a water bottle... but I have a camelback.

Bottom Line:
This is a lot of bike for the price. It pedals like a hardtail, but is smooth.

Favorite Trail:   007

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike - Trek Y frame.

Bike Setup:   Manitou X-Vert Super (oldie but goodie), Crank Brothers eggbeaters, Terry Men's Fly seat

Submitted by KTB a Cross Country Rider from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2007

Strengths:    SOLID, SOLID RIG! This is my first XC full suspension and although I have only had it for a few months - it's living up to most of my expectations. Smooth as silk along roots and rocks and jumps right over logs - heavy but fun to bunny hop with!

Weaknesses:    Heavy! At 31 lbs. it's not as light as I would like for it to be, but it's a frame to upgrade. The basic Manitou Trance fork weighs 6 lbs on its own. Have already upgraded the SPD pedals to a lighter version and will upgrade the fork and wheel set when the cash comes in.

Bottom Line:
I am 5'6" and female. Bought a medium frame which felt a little big at first, but once I got on the trails was happy I got this size. I ride more BMX style on the trails (stay low on jumps and fast, love tight turns)and amazingly I can control this bike like I want to.
For the price, this is exactly what I wanted. It shifts great, sucks up the little jumps I manage to pull off and allows me to bomb down hills and roll over logs with ease.
Buy it if you need/want to upgrade from hardtail, but don't have major cash for the next price tier. Don't buy it if you want a light, XC race ready rig of course. All in all, good value for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Schaffer Farms - Germantown

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor

Similar Products Used:   None really...knew what I wanted from the start...can't beat the i-drive technology and history of the brand name.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Christopher a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    The bike has a strong frame and is a great price for a full suspension XC bike.

Weaknesses:    You do get what you pay for. The tires and front fork were the first to go on mine. The stock fork weighed 5.9 pounds and was as basic as you can get.

Bottom Line:
All in all I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking to get into full-suspension cross country riding. The price is great and there is a lot of room for upgrades across the board. A new fork and new set of wheels does wonders for this rig.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Sky Trail

Purchased At:   Harbor Country Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F400 and F600

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive Four 5 w/ RP3 Shock, Spinergy Xclone wheels, Manintou Minute 2:00, and full Sram X.9

Submitted by Scott Curtis a Weekend Warrior from Hercules, CA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2006

Strengths:    It has just about everything I wanted for under $1,000. The brakes, drivetrain, fork and shifters are a major upgrade from what I was accustomed to.

Weaknesses:    The pedals. They're kind of cheap. They are wide on one side and narrow on the other, so I'm always having to spin them around while riding. I will probably replace them with Candy C's (which are on the I-drive Four-3.0) or something similar. It is a little tall. I am 6ft and have a medium frame bike, so I am able to stand over it, but a frame design closer to the I-drive Four-1.0 would improve this. There is only one attachment point for a bottle cage, and this is on the bottom of the downtube, so the cage is more exposed and the bottle gets dirty. This is not a problem if I just use a hydration pack, but there are times when I also want an energy drink, too.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike, an upgrade from a hardtail that got too beat up on the trail. The I-drive system works as advertised. It pedals great and climbs better than I do. I have more confidence on descents, especially on rocky sections. The cockpit feels good to me, and I have a good view of the trail without straining my neck. It feels nicely balanced and is comfortable to ride. The mechanical disc brakes work fine, with good control and modulation and have gotten me out of trouble in situations where I would have had to "involuntarily dismount" on my old bike.

This is a cross-country/trail bike and is intended to be ridden as such, i.e keep the tires on the trail and not go flying through space. It is probaly not as suited for racing as it is not a super-lightweight racing frame, but it feels solid and durable, and actually weighs about the same as my hardtail.

I am very happy with this bike and I don't regret buying it.
(Although Performance lowered the price $200 AFTER I bought this.)

Favorite Trail:   ChinaCamp

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I tested a Giant Trance 3, Iron Horse Warrior SE, Cannondale Rush. I really liked the Trance, but it was too much $$$. I also considered a couple of Kona products, but I didn't get the opportunity to test ride them.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Except it came with a Fox Float instead of the Rockshox shock as indicated.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO,USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    Great entry level bike. Price, durability, weight, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    For the price none, after becoming accustomed to biking and taking bigger hits you might feel that you want to upgrade the fork shocks and shifters.

Bottom Line:
This was my first recreational purchase when I moved to Colorado. I feel that this bike is a great value and for someone just getting into the sport or anyone who wants a reliable ride without spend over a grand.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the woods