Gravity Bikes DS FSX 2.0 XC Full Suspension

3.83/5 (12 Reviews)

All DS FSX Full Suspension mountain bikes feature Advanced Aluminum frames with a Hydroformed tubes, advanced single-pivot rear suspension and trail-ready geometry. Features powerful disc brakes and wide range Shimano 24 speed drivetrain for smooth shifting on rough terrain. The plush Suntour suspension fork further smooths the terrain. Advanced lock-out provides maximum efficiency at will.

Submitted by Salvaje a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2016

Strengths:    Lightweight, handling, fast

Weaknesses:    fork, rear shock

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike for nearly 7 years and just retired it. I figured now would be a great time to review what I learned. First the MSRP is bull. The seller IS the manufacturer..so they can set the MSRP at $1 million if they want..just don't believe it.You are buying a $300 bike. I got mine at bikeisland.com for 249.00 because it was missing a derailleur. (bikeisland.com is the outlet for bikesdirect.com, they list their take-offs and scratch and dent bikes on bikeisland.com) First off, I'm 5'10 and 230# not small. I got this to replace my Toys R Us Hyper that I thoroughly thrashed. So what do you get for the money? You get a very ride-able, lightweight, solid bike. Out of the box it needs grease and tightening..everything needs tightening. I rode mine stock for a year before I started upgrading components. The fork works for a while, but they are bottom shelf Suntours so I replaced it. I got a better set of tru-vative cranks and BB, only because I wanted 175mm over the stock 170mm. I went with 180mm rotors front and rear and replaced the brake pads with a higher end The frame geometry is a bit odd, but it does work. I kept the off-brand rear shock because I couldn't justify spending $300-500 on a shock for a $300 bike. The rear end will bob on hills, if you are a weekend warrior or a casual rider you will not be bothered by it much. If you are a serious down-hiller, you wouldn't buy this bike anyway. As I stated, I've had this thing 7 years, and ride mostly intermediate single-track, and this is a very capable bike. Before you go to a sporting goods store and drop $600 on a store brand, you should really consider this Gravity. If you are staring out and need a good platform to begin with, this is the bike for you. It is fully upgrade-able, handles well, corners great, pretty fast downhill, stops on a dime even with my fat a@@ on it. The only issue is the pivot point, after 7 years it is all sloppy. I contacted bikes-direct and asked about a replacement, and was told they are available..so I'm going to order one and keep the Gravity as my back up. Overall a great starter bike that can be upgraded as your skills improve.

Purchased At:   bikeisland.com

Submitted by Sixstring_6 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2016

Strengths:    Price, brakes, front shock, overall components

Weaknesses:    Weight, rear shock, geometry

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I wanted to get back into mountain biking after decades but wasn't sure how serious I was about it. I wanted as much bike as I could get for below $500. Got it from the bikes direct website for less than $400. Overall a fantastic bike for the price. The stock components are as good as, or better than, other bikes for twice the price. The bike does quite well on the trails and is great for beginners to learn the basics. It is tough and will take quite a beating. I was 280 lbs when I started riding it and crashed a few times with no damage. I was able to regain my skill set pretty quickly with this bike. The geometry is a little on the high side for a full suspension bike so its a little shaky on the down hills and single pivot rear suspension can make climbing tough at times, but again for the price you really could not ask for more. I recently upgraded to a giant trance but kept the gravity as a spare for friends. I still ride it myself sometimes even though I have upgraded. I highly recommend this bike for someone getting started who doesn't want to spend allot on a first bike.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant and trek

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jesse a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2015

Strengths:    Frame, Design, Forks.

Weaknesses:    Stock rear shock, handlebar Stem.

Bottom Line:
Ive had this bike for two weeks now and so far its been a great bike. The crankset and gear set work wonderfully and the front suspension soaks up even the heaviest drops. I am 6'2 and 190 lbs so I ordered a DNM air shock for the rear, handlebar stem from bontrager, compound deity pedals, protaper DH780 handlebars, and 26X2.2 continental trail king tires. Please keep in mind that the majority of equipment was purchased due to my riding style. I would only recommend replacing the rear shock first and see how you like it. I would recommend this bike for intermediate users who are looking to ride wide trails with a pavement ride home, but with a little tweaking can easily handle formidable mountains.

Submitted by Adam Hasenyager

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2015

Strengths:    price, disk brakes, dampened rear shock, lockout and adjustable front fork, easy to setup and nice base components for the price

Weaknesses:    weight, stock tires

Bottom Line:
i bought this bike so that when friends come over they could borrow it on trails. I ride a santa cruz nomad so for me this bike felt like a brick. The stock fork ahs 120mm of travel and was able to handle drops, jumps, and rock gardens by making the fork as stiff as possible, the rear shock likes to bob with heavier people but isnt too bad on the trail, we took it off a 4 foot drop and 3 little table tops, no more than 1 1/2 feet of air on the table tops but still a great test for it. No weakness is seen as of this point an i am very impressed. I switched the tires to kenda small block and changed the fork to an rst titan with a dnm air rear shock. Basically made it a $800 enduro bike. It now flies down trails and can jump and keep up with my santa cruz nomad. Plan on doing alot more addons to this, including making it more downhill oriented, turning it to a 60mm stem and 750mm handlebar and lighten up a few parts, carbon seat post and plastic honeycomb seat. But for the stock parts it was a great bike and was awesome for friends who wanted to try trail riding. The reason its not 5 on overall is because the heft of the bike, but take that for a grain of salt because i ride a full carbon Santa Cruz Nomad :P Thank you bikes direct for a nice bike at a great deal

Favorite Trail:   duthie hill

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   kenda small block, rst titan 15, dnm air rear, carbon seatpost, yellow honeycomb seat, 60mm stem and 750mm handlebar, ergo grips

Submitted by judd

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2014

Strengths:    the only strengths about this bike are maybe the brakes , After buying this bike I took it to the bike shop to have it tuned up and also put more aggressive tires on it. I had the rim bands removed and taped and added a few items.

Weaknesses:    FRAME

Bottom Line:
I am by no means a professional mountain biker , but I may be more aggressive than most people. I only got to ride this bike four times on a mtb trail before I broke the frame. The shock completely bottomed out and the back tire locked up to the up right post below the seat. With that being said the shock put enough tension on the top mounting bracket that it buckled the frame and cracked it in half at the stem. If you looking to ride on more advanced trails then I suggest you save your money for a better bike,
very disappointed in this bike!!

Submitted by Carlos

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2013

Strengths:    Solid bike you get more that what you pay for I paid around $350. Frame feels of good quality a bit heavy but well made.

Weaknesses:    Cant complain I am not paying premium.

Bottom Line:
The main purpose I bought this bike was for exercise and to be out doors.All the bikes I saw were over $1000 and could not justify the price for my needs. If you plan to you use this bike a bit more aggressive you might want to consider replacing front and rear shocks.

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Shifts and handles great. I do mostly single trac so I immediately changed the tires to kenda aggressive treads and now I can really Conner and uphill easier. For the buck I keep up with the carbon guys no problem. Suspension is good for my weight so I have no problems to speak about.

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness but I had to tighten up most everything when I got it.

Bottom Line:
Great bike with all the components of a big bucks bike that don't matter so much unless your a pro biker.

Submitted by brian

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    the bike is what everyone said, worth the money

Weaknesses:    even if you have a professional tighten everything I still had my rear deraillur go straight into the spokes and now there is a potential for a lot of money that I have to pay if the builder doesnt take the blame for it. I was incredibly stoked for the bike until that whole thing happened to it. 450$ and now the bike is completely inoperable

Bottom Line:
Bike is worth the money just make sure you have a professional tighten and set everything for you.

Submitted by flatlander a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    A very decent blke for the price.Perfect for trail riding / fitness here in south florida.Suspension is great for square edge and stutter bumps.Not too bad on moderate jumps.Preload adjustment front and rear is easy to set-up

Weaknesses:    Its a china bike. Mechanical disc brakes are weak. everything is loose when you get this bike delivered...Tighten EVERYTHING.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden a few mountain bikes over the years.all hardtails. For Where I live and what I'm doing now I like this bike the best.Even thou its a cheapee.
This is not a blke to use for competition or aggressive riding..It's just a good all around trail bike,good looks and a comfortable ride.
If i take care of it i think it will last for a long time.I plan on diassembling and greasing/lubing everything this weekend with good quality lubricant,.just to be safe.

Favorite Trail:   Caloosahatchee

Duration Product Used:   20 mi.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   felt q620 , specialized stump jumper

Bike Setup:   everything had to be checked for tightness. front an rear derailers had to be set-up.

Submitted by John Herbert

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight and smooth shifting if tuned up properly.The disc brakes are excellent.I recommend strongly for the beginner or older athlete with it's 24 gears.Suspension is decent too.

Weaknesses:    You'll need a stiffer front suspension with off-roading.

Bottom Line:
I'm 53 years old and this bike is all me!I can fly down hill on this bike and stop on a dime,or veer hard with it in handling.Going up hill ,if you got the leg power and the lungs it'll do it.$1200 MSRP?I paid $329.00 at Bikesdirect.com.I get a lot of compliments on the bike's sleek look too.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth shimano shifting, powerful breaks, decent suntour front suspension, nice stock suntour crank, easy on the eyes, the full suspension makes for a smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Rear coil shock is cheap, tires, frame

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a nice bike. What are you going to do on it? Me some light trail riding and paved pathes as well. So it meets my needs. Pretty much most of the parts are of reputable quality. But I wouldn't do any real aggressive trail riding on this bike. The rear coil spring shock is pretty cheap. And the single pivot rear wouldn't take an impact. The MSRP of $1199 is bogus as well. Several retailers I took it to priced it between $600-$700. Which is still cool considering I paid less than four. The frame is light and sleek. I like it because it's unique. If you are gonna trail ride definetly put some more aggressive tread on. I personally don't mind the street/trail tread but be careful on the trail lol

Favorite Trail:   Near seaymour cray BLVD river