Giant Yukon FX XC Full Suspension

3.76/5 (55 Reviews)

Make the most of your off-road excursions with this smooth-riding trail machine. With a lightweight yet durable ALUXX aluminum frame, 4 inches of rear suspension travel and a plush suspension fork, Yukon FX can take whatever the terrain dishes out.

• SR Suntour XCM V3, 100mm suspension fork, Giant Air rear shock
  • SRAM X.7/X.4 shifting
  • Hayes MX-4 disc brakes
  • Giant S-XC2 alloy rim/Formula disc hubs, wheelset
  • Color: Black/Blue

Giant Yukon FX XC Full Suspension Pro Review

Using a simple but elegant aluminum chassis, the Giant Yukon FX comes equipped with Hayes MX-4 mechanical disc brakes (front and rear) and Truvativ ISO Flow 3.0 cranks. Shifters are SRAM (SX4) as is the rear derailleur. SRAM also provides the 8-speed cassette (PG830) while the front derailleur comes in the form of Shimano’s budget-friendly Alivio line. Continue reading →

Submitted by SuperSlow35th

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    Uses the same geometry as the higher end bikes so the fit and finish is spot on. Has a slew of name brand mid range components. Bike is very forgiving which is great for a beginning rider. Even though its labelled an XC bike, it has put up with every ounce of abuse i've put it though.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, my large framed 2010 weighed in at just a hair over 33 lbs. Rear derailluer skipped shifts and fell out of gear alot after the initial purchase. A trip to the LBS for an adjustment seems to have cured it. Front fork leaves a little to be desired, but still excellent for an entry level bike.

Bottom Line:
All in all, its been and continues to be an excellent bike. I have since replaced the wheelset/tires with Pure XCR wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and a set of Geax Saguaro tires. This dropped just shy of 3 lbs off the total weight and with it all being rotating mass it feels like a totally different machine. The front fork will most likely get replaced with a 100mm air unit.

Submitted by halld15 a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2013

Strengths:    smooth ride, little pedal bob unless you're cranking it out of the saddle, air sprung rear shock

Weaknesses:    derailleurs, chain drops into space between frame and cranks, heavy (medium is 33 pounds), not a very adjustable fork, mechanical disc brakes instead of hydrolic

Bottom Line:
Overall, a decent bike, but you get what you pay for. The rear derailleur had to be replaced on my bike after bunny hopping it in a parking lot, not even on the trail, and the front fork does'nt go through its travel as smoothly as a lot of other forks. It is also rather heavy, but it gives you a good ride and with any strength will get you where you need to be easy enough. Overall it is a decent bike but it could be upgraded to decent affect. I race mine and do just fine, but it could def be better with a different fork and some hydraulic disc brakes.

Submitted by mmontini6289 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Strengths:    Price/ Value
Comfort
Handling

Weaknesses:    Forks
Weight

Bottom Line:
In June of 2012, I began looking for a full suspension all mtn MTB to replace my hardtail, and went to my LBS. I wanted something nice, but was on a limited budget. The salesperson said that the Yukon FX was the first nice full suspension bike they had seen for the price. I took it for a test ride and was in love with it. I also tried some other more expensive bikes, and yes, they had nicer components and hydraulic brakes, but I simply couldn't justify spending the extra 1, 2, or in some cases 3k. I purchased the Yukon and have ridden it almost exclusively on local single track and downhills. It has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. No breakages, no adjustments and no hastles.
Granted, it is a $1000 full suspension bike, so something had to give. The front fork leaves a little to be desired, but the mechanical disc brakes are good, and the driveline is pretty solid. It is on the heavy side, but honestly, it doesn't show it's weight on the trail; it handles downhill and singletrack very well, and uphill climbing characteristics are good. The tires grip well in the New England conditions that I have been riding in, both wet and dry. Overall, a highly recommended bike for anyone looking for a nice full suspension bike on a budget.

Purchased At:   Plaine's Bike, Ski,

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon SE

Bike Setup:   Bone stock (dorky reflectors and cassette chain guard removed)

Submitted by george

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Excelent downhil behaviour for the money.

Weaknesses:    Seat, pedals, tires

Bottom Line:
Since i like recreational downhill, this does the job. It's a cheap full suspension alternative, but the handling on downhill is not bad at all. Runs smootly on thight and rocky sites.

Submitted by TrailBlazinKC

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    Giant rear air shock, SRAM X7 front derailleur, frame.

Weaknesses:    Suntour front fork, pedals, seat.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2011 Yukon FX brand new from LBS in March '11. Thrown everything offroad trail-wise at it in the Kansas City metro area (Landahl, Swope park, Shawnee Mission park). This bike has taking everything I have thrown at it in stride. I beat it up a couple times a week and it still performs great. The one thing I didn't like was the front fork. No adjustments except for a pre-load dial. I have upgraded the seat, pedals, tires, and added a bash guard. Plan on upgrading the fork when I get some extra cash. Any mountain biking noob who is starting to get serious about the sport should definitely check out this bike as a starter bike. Great price for a full-suspension bike and upgradable.

Submitted by citiznkain

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    - gear ratio
- front lock out. I actually enjoy locking out the front fork for going up the trail.
- push-push shifters are easy to use and work great
- the air shock is quite nice if you set it so a zero camber. you don't get to much sag when going up trails

Weaknesses:    - cable disc brakes feel off a little, but i'm comparing this to cantilever brakes.
- i don't like the plastic tabs used to mount the cables to the frame.

Bottom Line:
I switched over from a Trek 3700 Hard tail that had a different gearing ratio. switching to this bike was an upgrade for me. of course I pretty much went from one entry level bike to another. but it's a great bike.

Submitted by rockymtbiker

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    hard to beat $900 for a dual suspension ride these days.

Weaknesses:    The derailleur is a bit weak. The seat and seat post are a joke. The seat was comfy, but flimsy. The seat post is not adjustable OTHER than height. You'll need a new seatpost.

Bottom Line:
Other than being a bit heavy & having a few weak components, I like it & that is all that matters. It is a nice ride on some of the best and hardest mt bike trails here in Michigan

Submitted by huffster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    This bike has taken pretty much everything XC/AM I can throw at it. The frame, rear suspension, brake components, wheelset and most of the drivetrain have been trouble free except for normal wear and tear.

Weaknesses:    The bike is on the heavy side. The stock front coil shock did not hold up and I recently replaced that. The seat only has a single bolt clamp and that has become problematic not staying tight, so that had to be replaced. The stock Kenda Small Block tires were really bad in anything wet/muddy, but probably fine for dry/hard-pack conditions and or road riding. They had to go too.

Bottom Line:
This is a XC bike by design. Its not a downhill bomber. Depending on your definition of All-Mountain, I think it fits that bill. I've gone through things like brake pads, tires, rear derailleurs, spokes, etc. But I view these all as standard wear and tear in a rough sport like MTB'ing. Just the front fork and the seat are items I felt were sub-par. This is a great price tag for a full-suspension bike. I bought it used on Craigslist for $650 from someone who tried MTB'ing and found it wasn't their thing. It was about 3 months old and mint.

Favorite Trail:   Stewart State Forest and Wawayanda State Park

Purchased At:   Open market via Crai

Submitted by John a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Versatility, weight, suspension, durability, and PRICE!
Comfortable geometry too, but that's an opinion

Weaknesses:    Stock fork is not so great, stock pedals are bad, no rear-lockout, and it's not so good for road riding.

Bottom Line:
The Yukon FX is seriously awesome. I've had mine for a few years and its been everywhere from bike parks (did great at Whistler!) to cross country races and everywhere in between. It's even pretty good at jumping around urban areas.

I do a lot of downhill and cross country riding. The Yukon FX is somewhere in between. It is BY NO MEANS a downhill bike, but it does an excellent job making it down rough trails and jumps. It made it through a week of Whistler like a champion and has since done a great job at other bike parks too.
Mostly though, I ride cross country. The Yukon FX is not as light as more expensive cross-country bikes but it is still very manageable. I ride cross country almost every day and have no problem peddling this to the top of mountains quickly.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of urban riding, jumping off of ledges, stairs, ramps, etc. and the Yukon FX is perfect.

The bike isn't 100% perfect though. The stock components are fairly low quality. The Rockshox Dart failed after about 5 months of hard riding. I upgraded to a Rockshox Sektor and it is so much better. I was not a fan of the stock pedals. The stock disc brakes do a great job, but I've upgraded to hydraulics.

Overall, if you are on a budget but want a great bike that can do anything, the Yukon FX is a good choice. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Cave Trail, Pocatello ID

Purchased At:   Paradise Creek Bicyc

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance
Trek Fuel EX

Submitted by Babylon

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Just gt the bike a month ago and took it for a ride in the parks recently and I am enjoying my ride.

Weaknesses:    Shifting is hard sometimes. Shifter skips.

Bottom Line:
Overall, giant Yukon fx is a great bike for a decent money.

Submitted by Matthew225 a All Mountain Rider from Saddle Brook, Nj, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    2012 Giant Yukon Fx. Great around corners, very nimble, great control. For the money, the bike is excellent. Styling is also a plus as well.

Bottom Line:
I just bought the bike not to long ago. Already took it on two rides that were fairly technical. The bike handled beyond my expectations. I would most definitely recommend this to a friend.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Submitted by Photo-John a All Mountain Rider from SLC

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    Sweet kick stand and nice bright red spring!

Weaknesses:    Too light. Needs more reflectors and chrome.

Bottom Line:
Fear This! You know what I'm talking about. I love NASCAR and wrasslin!

Favorite Trail:   Bike Path

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   Razor scooter. Big wheel. Moped. Green Machine.

Bike Setup:   Totally rad with tons of stickers and mirrors

Submitted by twyeld a Cross Country Rider from Oz

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Built like a tank. Flies along and handles a lot more abuse than my Anthem X would/does.

Weaknesses:    The shock mounts are non-standard so it's difficult to upgrade to a different/better rear shock (I need to get a stepped axle machined to fit a Fox RP). And where the axle goes through the frame at the bottom of the shock only the swingarm has bushes - this means the frame lugs can get worn allowing for some slop in the movement - i got some brass bushes fitted. Otherwise pretty bombproof.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my 15yr son as I was myself just getting back into cycling after a 20yr hiatus. It turns out he wasn't so interested. No prob I liked riding it. I tricked it up with some lighter weight stuff over the years and I reckon it is my 'go to bike' when I just need to chill and put in a few hack dirt miles.

I put longer forks on it to make it a little less twitchy on the downs. This gets me in more strife than ever - I try to keep up with the the local DH nuts - and end up crushing my own!:)

Basically it's a fun bike to have around and swap out the components on to make it less like the boat anchor it was when I bought it.

I would recommend for anyone just having a go for the first time. It's so damn cheap that you'll be adding bits to it for ever - that's part of the fun of MTB afterall!

Similar Products Used:   Anthem X, XTC

Bike Setup:   Current setup is with a 150mm Sektor fork spacered down to 140 and an Airo 2 shock out back. Stylo cranks, bars, stem, seatpost, X7 gears etc, solid axles fitted to standard wheels for going down (although I also have some DT x1800s if I want to do any climbing/XC training). The longer forks give it a bit more BB height and about 69degs - better for descending. Only having 100mm out back seems to be fine for drops as the Airo shock is small can and goes so a steep susp curve but doesn't seem to bottom harshly. All up weight (with DT wheels) ~13kg which is fine for an AM hack (the frame alone is 3.1kg).

Submitted by DMFW_5 a Weekend Warrior from Kansas

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    Fit and geometry

Weaknesses:    Weight, fork. Bike feels front heavy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome it fits me very well im 6' 215 so I ordered a large. I would recommend this bike for anyone who wants a budget fs.

Favorite Trail:   switchgrass