Giant Trance X4 XC Full Suspension

4.81/5 (26 Reviews)

It’s the lightest aluminum 5-inch travel trail bike ever produced by Giant. The all-new Trance X starts with a radically shaped ALUXX SL aluminum frame featuring trail-tuned geometry and a tapered OverDrive headtube for increased stiffness and steering precision. And it finishes with lightweight, co-pivot Maestro Suspension to help you roll through technical terrain, blitz descents and devour steep climbs.
  • RockShox Tora, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Giant Air rear shock
  • Shimano Alivio/Deore componentry, Shimano M445 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Giant Connect handlebar, stem and seatpost
  • Giant S-XC2 rim/Formula Alloy disc hubs/stainless spokes, wheelset
  • Color: White/Red

Submitted by denton an all mmountain rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    great tires, good seat, awesome brakes, good for going up steep hill or going down some gnar hills and for the price you cant beat it

Weaknesses:    both shocks squeak, seat post

Bottom Line:
overall it is a great bike had it for 6 months and love it, very hard on it and it is still going, cant beat it for the price!

Submitted by Swhyte

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Strengths:    Ride, confidence inspiring handling and value for money

Weaknesses:    None for this money

Bottom Line:
Cannot fault this bike. Ive added a 130mm sektor fork, wider bars, shorter stem and a chain device. It eats descents, great all rounder!

Submitted by efdeel

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    great price - performance

Weaknesses:    my 2012 trance, have avid alexir 1 brake set....its not perfect, i change it to shimano deore 569

Bottom Line:
overall its greatttt bike. for AM, i also change stock stem to funn 45mm for better steering in downhill

Submitted by t2091

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    For the price and what you get, you really can't beat this bike. Climbs great and descends like a dream. This is my first full suspension and really I couldn't of asked for more as I was on a tight budget plus I bought it as demo bike. You have a great frame to build off of if you want to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    None really for the what the bike is. Some minor upgrades wouldn't hurt.

Bottom Line:
Overall I love this bike. I've upgraded the shifters and derailers to X9, wider bars and a shorter stem and in the process of getting some new wheels for it. I really look forward to riding it every time I go out.

Submitted by MrMountainbike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    Great all around bike. Can handle anything you throw at it and look good doing it.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur is shimano deore basic model, has lots of chain slap.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for someone looking to do a bit of everything.

Submitted by GiantTrance a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent all rounder at the moment can't moan about anything as it eats up everything in sight. I've already changed to 740 wide renthal fatboys and a 50mm renthal duo stem an work a dream on handling. I may change the forks in due course to some 140 fox 32's when my wallet says buy.

Weaknesses:    Pedals need a change but don't most of them. Other than that a bike straight out the box its perfect.

Bottom Line:
Excellent. Anyone wanting to get out there an hit some trails and climbs this bike can handle it no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Cannock monkey

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Submitted by giant_in_a_trance a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Goes anywhere and does anything (like some girls i know) bargain at £1250

Weaknesses:    none if you use it as an xc bike, but ive upgraded to more of an AM set up

Bottom Line:
Bit of a budget finishing kit but ive since changed forks to 140mm fox float 32, mavic crossmax sx wheelset, 40mm stem, 670mm bars, maxxis minnions 2.35 and this thing will do anything,full on downhill(brakes are a bit weak at speed), xc,fr jumps.

Submitted by Muscleburn a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Suspension setup, value for money, A real 'do it all' MTB!

Weaknesses:    None to speak of!

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a Trance for just over 2 years now and really struggle to find any significant faults with the way it rides. It really is about as close as you can get to a good ‘all around’ MTB, I can descend black runs with confidence, climb like a billy goat, spend a day in the saddle on an XC outing, tear up singletrack at trailcentres – it really is that good!

I have a ‘significant’ birthday this year and have clearance to spend a few K on a new bike, I don’t do ‘proper’ D/H and the Trance does everything else I need – so I am really struggling to find an upgrade that justifies the additional money.

If I am to be really critical the X4 finishing kit could be better, its fine and does the job ‘adequately’. I deliberately bought the X4 so I could replace the finishing kit to my spec, over the past 18 months I have upgraded to a Raceface Atlas chainset, XT rear mech and cassette, Charger Expert wheels, Hussefelt bars and stem, Formula K18 brakes, V8 pedals, WTB V saddle, Raceface Evolve seatpost. In fact only the frame, shock and forks are original – and they work too well for me to justify changing!

The jewel in the bikes crown is without doubt the Maestro suspension, it sucks up ruts, tree roots, eats up big drops, gives so little bob on climbs you would not notice it. I have ridden some significantly more expensive full sussers that could learn a thing or two (or three....) from the Trance suspension setup.

When I finally wear this one out I know exactly what I will be replacing it with, another Trance!

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest

Purchased At:   Bracknell Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Anthem, Orange 5, Zesty, Stuntjumper

Bike Setup:   Raceface Atlas chainset, XT rear mech and cassette, Charger Expert wheels, Hussefelt bars and stem, Formula K18 brakes, V8 pedals, WTB V saddle, Raceface Evolve seatpost

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    As others have said, it handles everything.....like a much more expensive bike Riding downhills/all mountain is a blast on this thing. Really fun!

Weaknesses:    The pedals suck, but if you're like me, you're gonna switch them out anyway.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding XC/All Mountain for around 15 years for fun and exercise. Although I would like a really expensive bike, my budget just can't handle it, which is why the Trance is great. It bombs down hills like much more expensive bikes. The frame setup is alive, and it climbs well too I actually can't wait until some of the components wear out so that I can replace them better stuff. This is a good entry level full suspension--or a good general full suspension for those guys that want a fun ride, but also have to come up with the mortgage or rent. Really, you'll be grinning after your first fast, lumpy downhill on this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Manly gulch, Mendocino,CA

Purchased At:   Revolution Bicycles,

Similar Products Used:   2006 specialized FSR XC

Submitted by Dirty_D

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Ride comfort, adequate factory components, same frame as the more expensive Trance X3, X2, etc, won't break the bank

Weaknesses:    Bars are a little wide from what I've been used to riding but this is of little to no consequence. To date, I haven't found anything about this bike that I don't like.

Bottom Line:
My wife bought me a Trance X4 for my birthday in March of 2011. To date, I've taken it out on a number of intermediate trails and been very impressed with the ride comfort and suspension capabilities. Prior to the Trance I was riding a hard tail Gary Fisher Kai Tai frame circa 1997. Needless to say, this was a huge upgrade over its predecessor. While the Trance X4 doesn't come with some of the better components that you'll find on the X1,2,3; the frames are exactly the same which gives you a blank canvass to build off of for component upgrades. I am a casual rider and for my purposes, this bike has been excellent and responsive to all the trails I've ridden it on thus far. The suspension geometry is what has impressed me the most. This bike is balanced! For first time full suspension riders, look no further than this entry level offering from Giant.

Submitted by trdspectacoma a Weekend Warrior from Hilo, HI USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2012

Strengths:    All Around a good Bike. The strongest point is that you can always upgrade once the parts wear out or you feel the need too.

Weaknesses:    At this point I have not found one yet. Although being a Clyde I have a feeling something is going to give. ie the front shock feels a little bad for my runs

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price range. For an entry level trail mountain bike it works great

Bike Setup:   30% sag with stock parts except the Shimano clipless pedals

Submitted by Conrosa a Weekend Warrior from Bakersfield

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2011

Strengths:    I love the suspension set up the mastero is awsome no peddle bob.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Love this bike. I would recommend this bike to any one.

Favorite Trail:   Kern River

Purchased At:   Finish Line

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dabull77 a Cross Country Rider from Va beach va

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2011

Strengths:    The bike handles great and is fast and light definitely a good all around frame

Weaknesses:    It may be just be me but after a month of semi tough usage up steep sandhills and down root staircases with the occasional 4 ft drop I have had to replace the cassette, derailleur, and new chain. I also went to a shop down the street to get a tune up and spent 200 bucks on alll the above. After the first ride I managed to shear the top 2 gears off the new cassette. The bike shop claimed I was too hard on this bike and pushed it past it's limits but I think that's bs...

Bottom Line:
Bikes insane but I think the components need to be upgraded for those who ride xc but a very aggressive xc with a bit of freeride in there..

Favorite Trail:   Freedom park

Purchased At:   North end bikes

Bike Setup:   Giant trance x4

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Trinidad and Tobago

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    The Trance x4 is a very strong bike.It eats up the trails.Great bike

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres are a little rough on the asphalt

Bottom Line:
I will upgrade to the lockout forks and lockout rear suspension

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes