Giant Trance X Advanced SL 0 XC Full Suspension

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Brawny, beautiful and built for singletrack. Bolstered by 5 inches of rockeating Maestro Suspension and the meticulously hand-crafted Advanced SL-grade composite frame, this is the most luxurious way to tame wicked trails. Climb faster, descend with more confidence and squeeze more out of every singletrack adventure.
  • Fox 32 Talas FIT RLC, 120-140mm tapered suspension fork, Fox Float RP23 Boostvalve rear shock
  • Shimano XTR M980 component groupset
  • Giant Contact SLR handlebar, stem and seatpost
  • DT Swiss Tricon XM1550, Giant LTD edition wheelset
  • Color: Composite/Silver

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast and pretty to look at. All XTR equipment and very reliable.

Weaknesses:    None with the exception that the bike is way too good for the current riders ability.... give me time though!

Bottom Line:
After months of considering other bike made by Specialized, Lapierre, Santa Cruz etc, etc. I stumbled upon this little gem. On researching I began to challenge what bikes were used by the successful professional mountain bikers out there and worked on the logic, if it's recommended by them, then it must be something special. Living in the UK, Liam Killeen is the UK No 1 ranked mountain biker in the country and his favourite bike is the Giant Anthem X Advanced SL. I have to agree with him since buying this bike. It's light, responsive, fast, and, although not a critical requirement of a bike, very nice looking! I managed to pick this up used at less than half the cost of its brand new price tag but if paid full price wouldn't be giving 5 chilli's - shop around if you're interested and you may be lucky. You can actually turn heads with this bike! It does everything it needs to with the utmost efficiency. Buy this bike and every ride will have you grinning cheek to cheek. You'll be flying past the competition. It does everything well, and just that little bit better than every other bike I've ever ridden.

Submitted by iqbbang

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2012

Strengths:    light, nimble, good geo, can be used for every kind of riding.

Weaknesses:    seat tube is interrupted

Bottom Line:
i was a freeride guy looking for a AM bike. this bike is excellent for my aggressive riding style yet pedals super well. it jumps well and turns nicely. but sometimes a bit too light for aggressive riding.

Submitted by motoxer913 a Weekend Warrior from Ogden, UT

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Precise, Efficient!! I feel like I'm climbing twice as fast as my RM Altitude, it's amazing! It's so efficient and tracks so precisely yet still has the best suspension of any bike I've ridden. This is IMO the best single bike one can own. Love the nevegals, still my favorite tire out of the many different I've tried over the years.

Weaknesses:    Front end is too light and requires a TALAS to get the most out of this bike. 120mm for climbing and 150mm for descending is perfect! Before TALAS the front end was too light during steep ascents causing it to lift and wonder. Gap from 18" to 20" frame too big...18" too small 20" slightly too big for me at 6'.

Bottom Line:
This bike is by far the best USED deal out there. I picked mine up for $3100 and it was practically new...screaming deal. I see similar deals on eBay and other places. Forget about spending $5-8k on a new carbon bike, pick this beauty up used for less than 1/2 price!

I've ridden a ton of different bikes over the last 5 years and NONE of them have I enjoyed more than the Trance X. The maestro suspension is among the best out there and now that you can get it with a carbon frame it's nearly perfection. If you are looking for ONE all-mountain bike to do everything from local races to bombing down The Whole Enchilada in Moab this should be at the top of your short list of bikes to buy. I LOVE THIS RIDE!!

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada, Moab

Purchased At:   Bikers Edge Kaysvill

Similar Products Used:   10 RM Altitude, 08 Trance XO, 05 Reign

Bike Setup:   SRAM X9 2x10, X0 Brakes, Crossmax ST tubeless wheelset, Nevegal 2.3 Front, Nevegal 2.1 Rear, Fox Talas 120-150

Submitted by DeZender a Cross Country Rider from Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible lateral stiffness, great geometry, LIGHT. My 2011 has the new XTR, which is amazing. Build quality of frame is amazing when you examine it up close. The best trail bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. The Giant Contact carbon bars, post, & stem are also sweet.

Weaknesses:    Costs some ducats, makes me want to ride all the time.

Bottom Line:
Amazing ride. The new XTR drives the price up, but it's worth it if you like nice toys. Contender for ultimate trail bike, IMO.

Favorite Trail:   Underneath me

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo SL, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Giant Reign, Santa Cruz Blur LT & Superlight

Bike Setup:   2011 Trance Advanced SL 0, full XTR, DT 1550 Tricon wheels, Maxxis Highroller 2.35 Front (set up tubeless), dropper post.

Submitted by Endo a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff frame, climbs well, positive gear changes and eats up the rough stuff.

Weaknesses:    Kenda Nevagal tyres supplied as standard are too slippery. Much prefer gear shift position indicators on handle bars as found on the Trance X0.

Bottom Line:
An improved bike compared to the Trance X0. XTR gear set provides positive changes every time. Plenty of adjustment in both front and rear suspension with increased travel over the Trance X0.

Carbon fibre frame provides increased stiffness compared to the aluminium framed Trance X0 with the handling literally point and shoot. Weight is reduced and the Trance Advanced SL0 provides improved performance over the Trance X0 in every regard.

Favorite Trail:   Westleigh Reservoir

Purchased At:   Cyclesports Thornlei

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance X0

Bike Setup:   Standard set up with Kenda Nevagal tyres replaced with Crossmax tubeless.

Submitted by Lloydy a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, stiffness, reliable steering, suspension performance, looks awesome

Weaknesses:    I'm not a fan of the Kenda Nevegals for my local trails. The carbon finish scratches pretty easily...

Bottom Line:
This bike is an exceptionally impressive - in terms of specs and performance. My bike weighs just under 11.5kg as it is a large size but is much stiffer than any other bike I've previously ridden (except maybe my downhill bike). The parts list is all very reliable and has been flawless after one month of pretty hard riding. The only item I'm planning on changing is the Nevegal tyres which are fairly slow on the hardpack singletrack that I usually ride on. I'll prob go for a specialised eskar/crossmax combo.

Going uphills is very cruisy thanks to the weight. You do need to drop the travel of the forks down to 100mm to get up the really steep stuff, but there's heaps of rear traction available courtesy of the maestro suspension.

Going Down - turn the knob on the Talas forks to 140mm travel, keep the hands off the brakes and put a grin on your face cause you're gonna be having fun. It has a very active suspension feel and will cater to your style, whether you prefer to plow on/through bumps and obstacles or use the very direct steering to pick a tighter line. The tapered steerer tube along with the front thru axle give a very reliable direct feel to the steering. Point and shoot.

For my local twisty fairly level singletrack I run the fork at 120mm. Ive found that this, along with lowering the stem as much as possible gives the bike a more aggressive, racy feel. I'm planning on doing a few races both enduro and xc to see how it performs against the clock though.

Its worth playing around with the pressures in the front/rear shocks to see what suits you - I'm 85kg and am running 90psi in the TALAS and 190 in the RP23. This gives me good suspension performance with minimal bob even without the propedal.

Durability wise - No major issues - I've done some drops (about 3-4 feet) and jumps without any problems and have had a couple of stacks - there are now a couple of small scratches in the surface coat but this seems pretty strong and none of the scratches are getting anywhere near the carbon fiber.

Overall, a great bike for someone that wants to do it all with one machine - race, cruise, trail, xc. Though you do need to have reasonably deep pockets...

Favorite Trail:   Ourimbah