Giant Trance Advanced XC Full Suspension

• Cranks: Shimano XTR
  • Tires: Hutchinson Piranha / Barracuda folding

Submitted by kiwidude a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Value for money
Handling
Climbing ability
Comfort
Range of usage

Weaknesses:    Seat - 'Giant carbon' - flick it ASAP and get something your bottom will thank you for.

Bottom Line:
These bikes are the ducks nuts!
I've had it two years and still love it. I'm not even thinking of replacing it.
It handles very well over a multitude of terrain, climbs really really well and is super comfortable coming down hills.
It's weight is pretty good for it's class and the price was very very good compared to everything else (can't remember what I paid but it was significantly cheaper than Specialized.
I would buy one again but I'd either go the XO or X3, mid range is a bit of a waste of time - the gear (not-Shimano) is a bit average and I think I would have been better getting the base model and upgrading as I go.
Bottom line, I haven't met an unhappy Trance owner (they moan about the seat but that's it), it's won heaps of awards, and it is/was the best value bike in it's class in 2008 - hands down.

Favorite Trail:   Scenic Reserve

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Wellington

Similar Products Used:   Giant VT1
Specialized Hard Rock

Bike Setup:   This is for a 2008 X1
- replaced seat and a narrower straight XC bar up front otherwise standard.

Submitted by VailMaintenance a Cross Country Rider from Vail, Co

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Super fast, Tight feel to it, climbs like a goat and shifts ohh so fast

Weaknesses:    Too tight??

Bottom Line:
When I first took this thing out I was afraid it was a little too tight for me- The bike is so light that it tended to move around on me in steep climbs (obviously used to a little more weight) and felt twitchy on steep technical downhills (the BB has a really low center of gravity so it took me a few rides to get used to being so tight in corners)- This problem, after learning how to handle such a light bike, is all but gone-
I cant say enough about this bike now- Ive never been on anything that takes off so quick...unbelievably quick- It climbs better than anything Ive ever been on- The Maestro suspension Giant came out with is a thing of beauty- I dont even lock out my rear anymore on climbs and I dont notice any bob- The 4.2 inches seems like more than 4.2 when I charge (and I was kinda skeptical about not having more in the beggining)- Im a light rider (150) and I can only think of once or twice that Ive bottemed out my rear-
The shifting too, which someone mentioned, is spot on- Ive ridden pretty hard for about 5 months now and the only problem I had was a suspension bolt breaking (Im pretty sure now it was a missing washer) so I check it pretty regularly- Giant covered it (which I would expect) so props to them-
Get an Advanced if you like to go fast- This is the perfect bike for a personal glory rider who wants to race on the side- I like 3 to 5 hour rides and I stay comfortable the whole time on this- Move on if you just bomb-
BOTTOM LINE- The more I ride this bike the more I love it- Every ride seems to get better and I cant say that about any other bike Ive ever owned- Its pricey...I bought a crappy car though so I could have this and looking back I dont regret it in the least- Do yourself a favor...

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palamino, Trek EX8

Bike Setup:   Crossmax SL's, Race Face Next bar and post, XTR front, XO rear

Submitted by JT a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    Light - great climber - rear shock

Weaknesses:    shorter top tube and more upright cockpit than I am used to and may need to make some alterations and go with a lower or no riser handle bar. Tires.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding hard tails for almost 20 years and at 42, decided it was time to go full suspension. This is my first venture into a high end mountain bike, full suspension, disc brakes and SRAM shifters. I have had the bike for 24 hours. Right out of the store I hit the trail and even though the trail was wet and I was on a new bike, I beat my best time on the Cherokee loop. It climbs really well and the pro pedal on the fox shork works great. I am going to have to make some fit adjustments and get used to the handling, but so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee Park - Louisville KY - its the closest trail to home

Purchased At:   Clarksville Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   1989 Nishiki Colorado. 1999 Trek 8000.

Bike Setup:   Stock with XTR pedals

Submitted by Philippe ???????? from San diego california

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    Weight,super fast,top of the line components

Weaknesses:    Not flashy enough, need more vibrant colour

Bottom Line:
At first I didn't like the shape and colour of that bike. I was expecting something more flashy for a $6300 bike.
I forgot about it while climbing or accelerating on the flat.I would say that this bike goes faster than I can.
Downhill it's a bit too light, but after changing my riding technique it gets a lot better. I have been test riding this bike for two weeks and am about to buy it. The way I see it no bikes are perfect , but this one is prety close to it when it comes to XC.

Favorite Trail:   west coast usa

Similar Products Used:   none,Hardtail trek 9.8 carbon fiber, tried many other full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   XTR ALL THE WAY

Submitted by David Evans from South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light, propedal

Weaknesses:    Still looking

Bottom Line:
I cracked my Giant NRS Air in a 3 day event at end Feb 2008 and Giant replaced it with the Trance Advance Frame and Fox RP23 free. What a luck. So I upgraded my front forks to the Talas RLC, wheels to XTR and generally threw money at it. What a machine. Cant wait to ride it in the game reserves at home. Why did it cost $1625.00 Well because that is roughly what the upgrade cost. Thanks Giant. I owe you one.

Favorite Trail:   The Gold Rush

Purchased At:   Mavericks

Similar Products Used:   NRS Air

Submitted by rumple4skin a Cross Country Rider from north wales u.k

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2008

Strengths:    light,nippy,responcive,well made,well specced,climbs like a mountain goat,good looking all out trail and all day exorcet missile.

Weaknesses:    PRICE-should be gold plated for this price & come with a free thai hooker.CRAPPY HUTCHINSON TYRES(barracuda & pirrana mix???)other than that nothing.

Bottom Line:
i have been riding & racing bikes for nearly 30 years,from road to bmx to mtb.ive been to the far corners of the world to ride and nothing has come close to putting a permenant grin on my face than riding my giant trance advanced.its a top bike from spec to build to ride(uphill to downhill it shifts quicker than a dead goldfish flushed down a toilet).the best bike i have ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   coed y brenin

Purchased At:   pedal on cycles

Similar Products Used:   amp b5,mc-san andreas,rocky mountain xs speed & blizzard,scott strike limited,yeti 575.

Bike Setup:   xtr & sram x.o mix(works hand in hand really well),race face next,fizik gobi & free thai hooker:)

Submitted by Fay a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2008

Strengths:    Lightness,around 11kg, Speed it moves ,nimbleness, feel on different terrain,No bob on hard setting.

Weaknesses:    cleaning around back tyre.Handle gribs

Bottom Line:
Can't wait to get out on it after work it's so easy to ride,It loves hills in lockout.I am a social biker who likes comfort and this delivers some might think its a overkill for my type of biking, but if you can afford it why not you only live once!!!

Similar Products Used:   Cannonale scapel old bike

Bike Setup:   Standard ,Just new gribs and seat was 100gms now 400gms needed comfort.

Submitted by Johno a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2007

Strengths:    All carbon frame, bike weight, especially rear end, top level components.

Weaknesses:    Ease of cleaning between close linkages. Needs a flexible bottle brush (even a tooth brush is too big!). Tubes tires speced with the Crossmax SL, but Barracuda's will wear quickly.

Bottom Line:
This is one sweet ride. It's amazing how smooth and quite this thing is over the rough stuff compared to the Ellsworth, or any alumunium framed bike. Lower BB and lower weight (what weight there is) positively affects centre of gravity for blasting corners. First time using SRAM OX; excellent except I'v accidently shifted up a number of times. Moved shifters inboard a smidgen to see if this helps.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hll

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth, Jekyll, Scaplel, Super-V

Bike Setup:   Changed the 07 spec Fox RLC100 for 08 F120RL. More travel without affecting bar to saddle hight, 'cause of ample spacers under stem.

Submitted by Curt Carter a Cross Country Rider from Geneva, NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2007

Strengths:    Nimble handling, well balanced suspension,climbs well,great epic ride machine.

Weaknesses:    I wasn't impressed with climbing situations especially when I got out of the saddle untill, through talking with the guys at the Geneva Bicycle Center, several rides and a few adjustments, that I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Meaning sit down, relax and let the bike run its way up the hill. Most times it's not necessary to climb out of the saddle with this bike. Simply put I now love how my bike climbs and if for some reason I can't make a climb it's no fault of the bike.

Bottom Line:
My bike has almost700 miles on it now. I ride mostly in Central New York (Hi-Tor, Italy Valley, Stid Hill, Dryer Rd, Tryon etc.) meaning great technical tight climbs and descents that are rock and root laden with some drop offs and stunts in the mix, making the Giant Trance a great choice because of its well balanced suspension and handling qualities. Each ride I try to get at least 15 miles in and if it’s Sunday and I’m riding with my friends, more than likely we’ll throw down 25+ miles with climbing that has been up towards 4000+ feet depending on the ride. Lastly I was lucky enough to pack my bike up and fly out to Vancouver, BC with my wife. We rode in Whistler (not in the down hill park, this bike is not really meant for that), Squamish, and Seymour on the North Shore of Vancouver. At Seymour I rode up to the upper most trail (CBC). Shortly after I “dropped” in I realized I was a bit, okay maybe way over my head. Still I carried (literally at times) on until I blew out the front tire after a sketchy landing, and shortly after fixing the front my rear tire did the same. Needless to say the Black Diamonds were over my head and I feel over what the bike is meant to do. I was able to find some great cross country trails and ended the day with a smile on my face. My bike felt at home on everything we rode in Whistler and Squamish(from Comfortably Numb and the well developed trail system in the village of Whistler to Credit Line and the many other trails in Squamish). I’d probably throw on a set of tires with a little more girth but I was very pleased with how well my bike rode and would pack it up without question if I had the chance to go again. The trails and stunts at Seymour, Squamish and Whistler are hands down some of the best stuff I’ve ever seen or ridden. Kudos to you guys and gals in the great white north!!

Enough rambling. Yes this bike is expensive, BUT if you want a bike that has been researched and developed extensively with the epic rider in mind who loves to climb and descend steep and technically demanding trails while being able to indulge in technical stunt ladened courses like A River Runs Through It in Whistler, B C this is the bike for you. The twinge of guilt that you may feel or the lighter bank account worries you have will be forgotten the minuet you throw your feet onto the pedals.

Thank You Geneva Bicycle Center for steering me in the right direction and all the help you have given!!

Purchased At:   Geneva Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven, Specialized Enduro a few hardtails and many demo. bikes.

Bike Setup:   Regular stuff like suspension set up (read the manual from Fox on line and you're golden) and stem adjustments.

Submitted by paul fairall a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    maestro suspension superbly made carbon frame top components everything

Bottom Line:
Dont any of my mates buy it, that way I can carry on kicking ass up the hills. Amazing all day or race bike. 4.2" travel is enough for drops and steps and rides like a hardtail. So impressed I'm getting an anthem for the winter and selling my hardtail. first time I've used sram trigger shifters and xo mech, excellent! Not cheap, I questioned my sanity when I handed over the cash not really knowing what I was getting but have been overjoyed with it.

Purchased At:   evernden cycles