Giant Trance 2 XC Full Suspension

• Rims: Mavic XM 317
  • Hubs: DT Cerit Disc

Submitted by CRAZY BILL a Downhiller from OAK RIDGE NJSTONEGATE

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    Very good hill climber. No peddle bob,the bike loves to bomb downhills. No problems in the rock gardens.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket a bit too low. Cable routing a bit suspect. Swapped out the stock huthinson tires with WTB dna velociraptors. much better!

Bottom Line:
Dollar for dollar, a great all mountain trail bike with all around great performance and value. This bike inspires confidence and will have you riding faster and longer everytime you hit the trails!

Favorite Trail:   STONEGATE at MAHLON

Purchased At:   CYCLEWORKS stanhope

Similar Products Used:   HARO,MARIN,GIANT

Bike Setup:   Sram XO rear derauiler, 7" hayes front rotor.

Submitted by mountainbkr a Downhiller from Bellingham WA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    Rear suspension is amazing (w/ a pushed RP23 and enduro shock bearing). Climbs like um.. a really fast uphill thing, rockets down all but most extreme trails. Very little pedal bob going up and smooth going down. Fast!

Weaknesses:    Stock Components, especially the wheelset. I taco-ed the front wheel on the 2nd ride. Stock suspension bearings blew out quick. DTC nevegals are hard to live with. The seat did not feel good on long rides.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, the DW ripoff rear suspension feels amazing. However this frame has special needs. The bearings/pivots need constant inspection/maintenance (suspension bearings in single shear is dumb). Don't buy replacement stock bearings for $130! Buy the enduro MAX kit for this frame for ~$50 (google search, they have a website). I ride a lot, all year round in the PNW and the enduro bearings last about a year (the stock bearings lasted ~2-3 months). I bought this bike to see if I could get into xc riding. I did. Then I replaced every component because biking is a disease on my wallet and I appreciate nice stuff. I gave 4 value chilis because the stock components are sub par but the price was good. Gave me lots of parts to donate to those in need.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Similar Products Used:   First XC bike I've owned; however I've ridden many. Also have an IH 7-point and used to ride a Specialized SX Trail.

Bike Setup:   Replaced everything but the frame. Pushed TALAS 32 fork, Pushed RP23 w/ enduro shock bearing, Mavic crossmax ST wheelset, XT crankset, specialized mag pedals, thomson seatpost & stem, X.9 shifters & F derailleur w/ X.0 rear, 990 cassette, easton xc carbon handlebars, rogue odi grips, avid juicy 7 brakes w/ 185 rotors f/r, enduro bearings all around w/ ceramic zero bearings in the hubs & crankset.

Submitted by cogener8 a Weekend Warrior from decatur,il,USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    Great ride

Weaknesses:    The maestro suspension

Bottom Line:
Beware there are too many bearings/bushings in the rear suspension kit. $139 and the bearings have to be pressed in. Mine wore out and now theres a little slop where the frame suffered wear. Look for a 2 point suspension instead.Im really dissapointed in the wear. In m part of the country I got much less riding time than others for this much wear.

Purchased At:   russels cycles

Submitted by secretrsl a Cross Country Rider from Essex,England

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    Just purchased this bike and had my first long ride today.
I was very dubious about purchasing a mass produced bike as i have always bought or had a frame made and built it up myself. But i have to say this bike rides will incredible balance and poise. I changed the Kenda Nevegal tires with Maxis Ignitor 1.95 and it flies. Was looking to get the Anthem as this is more tuned to me style but am happy with my choice as it fires up hill and rockets down.
I only paid £1400 ($2240).

Weaknesses:    Paint job. As expected on a stock frame. Not built up by myself so does not come with feeling you get from riding a project bike.
Not all wiyll like such an up right position. I removed the spacers and intalled a 0 degree stem.

Bottom Line:
Great bike off the peg but dont expect a work of art in the frame. Remember is is mass produced. But the suspension and ride are all sorted which is the main reason for riding.
At this stage i have rated highly but will re-review after a few months.

Favorite Trail:   Afan

Purchased At:   Pedal On

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 100 XC with XTR
Specialised M4 S works hardtail, Independant Fabrication, 'Roberts' Dogs Bollox

Bike Setup:   Stock but exchanged tyres with Maxis Ignitor and Stem( flatter with 0 degree rise) and Post with my Thomson

Submitted by aeric_7734 a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, Washington USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    Maestro Suspension is awesome, frame geometry packs a ton of bike into a small package, Raceface bars and stem are burly and take a beating, the stock Hayes mechanical disc brakes are scary good and stop on a dime, shifting is smooth with the stock Deores and almost unnoticeable on flat stretches.

Weaknesses:    The Marzocchi fork is the only obvious entry level component on the bike. I was a bit skeptical due to my weight, but it rides suitably enough. I have no doubt that I'll eventually destroy it, though, at which point I will likely swap it out for a Revelation

Bottom Line:
This is my first foray into full suspension mountain bikes. I've always ridden hardtails in the past and still currently own a sweet GT Avalanche with some modest upgrades. While pure XC is probably my most preferred style of riding, but when it comes to anything even remotely technical my hardtail whimpers and my self confidence shrivels. I took so many falls the last time I went out with it that I nearly threw it down a hill in frustration.

After some easy rides and not going that out of my way to test the Trance 2's capabilities, I took it out to my favorite network of trails which has a lot of stuff for mountain bikers with all sorts of varied preferences. Unlike my hardtail, the Giant Trance 2 handles calmly and smooth, instilling a ton of confidence and allowing me to spend more time in the saddle through the technical bits than out and pushing the bike. It's nimble and tracks most terrain perfectly, keeping it's font-end right where you want it and the back-end tracks just as well.

It also bears mention that one of the detractors in going full suspension previously was the threat of pedal-bob due to the rear shock working in conjunction with the fork. Not so with Giant's Maestro rear suspension. So long as the bike is in the correct gear for the terrain you're on, the bike rides steady and consistently.

This is a bike that I will be babying for some time to come, and even once I've burned through the stock components will upgrade as necessary. Buying this bike is one example of not feeling bad about buying the hype. So many people talked this bike up that prior to testing it thought it wasn't likely to be fully justified, but after having the shop show me a similarly priced Cannondale Rush and the current run Specialized Stumpjumpers (sweet frame and fork, but shoddy rear suspension and components for the price) I'm thrilled I held out for the Giant! Anyone with an interest in trail riding, whether technical single-track, all mountain or open-air XC riding looking for a supreme value would do well to look into this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Paradise Valley

Purchased At:   Bicycle Centres

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock except I took off the Wellgo platforms and threw on my trusty set of Azonic magnesium platforms.

Submitted by Norris_Hanna a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas NV USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2009

Strengths:    Overall a great bike for the money. Virtually all XT components, decent wheels, 15mm thru-axle, decent hydro-brakes, and Fox shock/ fork, all for next to $2000... can't beat that. The suspension design is very plush and efficient peddaling, climbing is superb, frame is very stiff, bike is comfortable and handles great overall.

Weaknesses:    Devo seat is an "el cheapo" model as are the Crankbrothers Smarty pedals and grips. They all work but do not compliment an otherwise great machine.

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing a 2009 Trance X2:

For the price this is an industry leader in the trail bike category. I shopped around and no other manufacture offered such high end components in this price range, and many had lower end parts on more expensive bikes. The Maestro suspension works really well and pedals very efficiently. The bike climbs and descends great, it does everything pretty darned good. I feel that this is a very comfortable bike for long rides and is still very nimble on technical singletrack.

The only issue I have with this bike is that the bottom bracket seems kind of low, but it is as high or higher than other similar bikes in it's class. Also, without the low BB the bikes handling would suffer, but for the extremely tight and rocky trails that I ride I find myself striking my pedals on rocks quite frequently. This is just something that I have to be aware of and adjust my riding style for.

Overall I dont think you can find a better trail bike for the money.

Purchased At:   JT's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Ive changed the grips to Lizardskinz, seat to WTB Rocket V, pedals to SPD's and tires to Maxxis' now the bike suits me better.

Submitted by Rich H. a Cross Country Rider from Granite Bay, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome all around full suspension bike. WIth the 5" front suspension it works well for decending but is incredibly adept at climbing as well.

Weaknesses:    Only component I am considering changing is the Hayes Brakes, not so much because I dislike them but just used to the feel of Shimano disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
This is the most impressive cross country bike I have ridden. It performs well in all conditions and in the 3 months I have owned the bike I have put over 400 pretty hard miles on the trail and don't have any real complaints and this is a first for me and bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt, bumps and hills

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Specialized Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Grum27 a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    This review is for the 2008 model Trance 2.

To put it simply this bike feels like the most comfortable ride straight out of the box, it feels familiar and inspires great amounts of confidence. This bike handles so well it eats all the bumps on the track for lunch and takes corners like it is on rails.

For what you get the price is fantastic! I was looking at a SC Nomad frame for the same price as the comlete trance.

Also a small point to mention is that the sadle which came on the bike SDG Bel-Air I find quite comfortable, but that is my personal oppinion only, everybody is built different and what is good for me might be terrible for another.

Weaknesses:    The first thing I noticed is that it is a weighty bike for something listed as an XC bike, I would place it more under the All Mountain category. However with a few component changes all should be a bit lighter!

The component group isn't all that great but I will be replacing it all with mostly XO stuff and lighter bars etc. The shifters are not as responsive or ergonomic as I like, linked with the stock LX and Deore derailures I find shifting a little sloppy, however that is in comparison to the snappy XO stuff and I'm sure most people out there will find shifting ok. I don't have a lot of faith in the plastic shifter levers either, they flex slightly and are made to be used as "Dual control" to use as either trigger/thumb of thumb/thumb shifters. Shimano would have been better off concentrating on making one style working better than trying to make them more versatile.

The biggest disapointment was on my first ride, I hit my local trail network and was attempting to bed in the brakes, however they got weaker and weaker the more I attempted to use them, after an hour of riding I noticed the discs were covered in mineral oil from a set of leaky calipers. Took it back to the shop to have them replaced although they would only "repair" them, so we'll see how long it is before they fail again!

As i mentioned weight, the wheelset is quite heavy Mavic X117, and uses cenerlock rotors for the brakes, not bolt on rotors which will limit your choice to upgrade easily. The tires supplied for the Australian model (Michelin AT) aren't great for dusty conditions as they do break traction in cornering (Not in a good Sam Hill way) but would make great wet condition soft soil tire.

Bottom Line:
For the price you can't go wrong, I bought the trance 2, which is fairly entry level as far as component specs are concerned but you get what you pay for. I was not sure weather I made the right decission purchasing this bike over the Nomad, but after feeling the confidence inspiring handling am glad I did.

I plan on replacing the Cranks and wheelset to something a lttle less heavy and more durable to lighten the load.

As far as handling is concerned the Trance will take anything you throw at it it corners like the devil and takes all the bumps like a full susser should, without making any sacrifice for pedal bob. The 4.2 inches of travel is plenty for general trail riding and cross country, thumbs up to the Maestro for smooth performance.

The stock Recon forks aren't great, they are only solo air and offer little adjustment except for rebound, my preference is for a dual air fork for adjustablity. They do their job ok but they dont quite feel very plush, I think the'll get better with a few more uses. The equivelant 09 trance comes stock with Fox Shocks.

Overall this is a fantastic bike and this can be proven by looking at the amount of them you see out on the trails, if you are in the position where you can change over some of the componentry I highly reccomend it, especially if you ride more than 3 times a week and expect your bike to perform every ride. Just be aware of the brakes on this model for fluid loss and failure.

5 chili's for the price value! Only 4 for overall as the component specs let it down in the performance area.

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full susser, I usually ride a small frame hardtail Fuji SL which is an awesome bike to point and shoot and throw around, however riding a hardtail with a fairly short wheelbase is taxing on you rear end if the track gets a bit bumpy or rutted and can be harder to get over some obstacles smoothly.

Bike Setup:   At the moment it is stock. Rock Shox Recon, Fox Float R, Deore and LX derailures, lower quality Shimano brakes and cranks, Race Face bars/stems and SDG sadle, heavy mavic wheels. Most of which will be changed over with parts off my hardtail.

Submitted by bbordie a Cross Country Rider from Faro

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2009

Strengths:    Bike climbs great and descends even better...
Maestro suspension is great! You dont feel the small bumps and when climbing it doesnt bounces up and down...
Great, great bike!!

Weaknesses:    Hated the saddle and the stock stem is too long.
The transmission is nice but if you put it XT like I did its more durable!

Bottom Line:
When I first got the bike I wasnt sure if the bike was nice for my type of riding... I dont like to climb much as I am a heavy rider but I love to bomb downhill... I have tested this bike in all type of riding from pure Xc, to downhill tracks, to some small dirt jumps , wallrides, long distances, rocks, roots, you name it!
The bike is much more of expected... Maybe if it had a little more travel it will be more nicer to jump and other stuff but it wouldnt climb this great. This is the price you have to pay for such a fenomenal all around bike! I had a great deal online and initially I wanted to sell it for more 500 euros but I tried it and I never thought of selling it again. I came from Specialized but after this I am sticking with Giant bikes. They rule!

Favorite Trail:   Sintra

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock sport with rockshox tora and all Xt transmission, GT I-drive 1999

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant trance 2 stock except for raceface evolve 90mm stem, Lx gear shifters, front and rear shimano xt derailleurs, lx cassete, sram 991 crossstep chain, specialized saddle, fast tightener for saddle post,

Submitted by seanster a Weekend Warrior from Shrewsbury

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic Climer, fast on the flat little or no peddal bob, Great for sprinting (which I dont do much of!) great spec for the money spent. Rock Shox REba SL forks inc lock out-can increase travel to 115mm however requires taking apart!

Weaknesses:    Seat does not suit me, tires,bars too narrow (why o Why do mfrs do this, eay to cut down impossible to make wider!), stem too long, seat post too short. Bit heavy but rides much lighter than the nos suggest. Loses a chilli on these points. Would not have bought at full price but saving made well worth as a £150-200 spend on upgardes makes the bike spot on!

Bottom Line:
1st to point out this is a US spec 06 Model bought new November 08 from Paulscycles in Uk @ £850, £831 in stock in medium at time of writing! differs from UK spec in that is burnt Orange color not Black, has Sram x.9 shifters and rear mech and better spec Fox RP23 rear shock, retail was £1750! The 05 and 06 Trance 2 are roughly equivalent spec to the 07 and 08 Trance 1!

Framset retailed £799 so to get with £900 (retail) of parts is incredible value in my opinion. Rides so much quicker on the flat and up the hills, noticably slower down hill however on many trails this is better than a plush 6" bike as have to ride it. Forks are great particulary over smaller bumps, Much better than the Fox 36Rs on the Enduro in this respect.

Gears shift nicely, handles well, suspension superb,brakes plenty powerful(no reliability issues yet!) frame nice and stiff.
Im not a latest greatest type and would recommend to anyone on a budget. If your a fussy type like me budget £100-£150 to get the bars, seat tires right for you but I guess this is always the case unless you go gor a custom build! Recon I saved at least £750-850 going the off the shelf route!

Who should buy it! Anyone doing anything without too much air or serious down hillers! If you want to have 1 bike to do XC/Marathon, weekend rides with your mates, If like me some of your mates are much fittter so u can keep up on the climbs, DONT buy if your a serious jumper downhiller etc

Favorite Trail:   Llandegla/Cannock Chase

Purchased At:   http://www.paulscycl

Similar Products Used:   Also own a 05 Specialized Enduro Expert, Giant Reign.

Bike Setup:   Stock exept Tioga 80mm stem (off ebay), 8" front brake disc because I had it spare, SDG Ibeam Post with Formula FX Saddle, Joes no flats tubeless conversion (great upgrade)Specialized The Captain 2bliss SWorks Tires,

Submitted by chrisdude a Racer from Brighton

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Strengths:    GIANT TRANCE 2 2008

Amzing price for the parts and frame, full retail price not far off what the parts would go for at retail and thats not including adding the cost of the frame. so you are practicly getting the frame free! work it out for yourselves ; )

very little/no pedal bob even in granny ring.
climbs extremly well.
decends like it is a 5inch bike. takes in the bumps which need taking in without losing any speed.

Weaknesses:    There is no fault with this bike, personally for me though the stem is too long and to get technical the bike is in the wrong price range (marketing problem!!) its too good for the prce range, other bikes simular in spec go for £1600+

Bottom Line:
I read lots of reviews and tested lots of bikes before i got this, so i thought i would give a review back to help others!!

sizing - im 5.7-8 ish and about 140 pounds (63kg) and im using the medium frame.a shorter stem is needed for a perfect fit for me.

Its pretty much a do it all bike. Mine the trance 2 2008 weight is 31.39 (14.2kgish) (with a cycle computer on it!!) which is a tad heavy for an xc bike but when your riding it feels more like a 25-28 pound bike which is very responsive and feels nippy. nippy due to light rims and stiff frame i think.

Its very quick up the hills, more like a hardtail but with a tiny bit of give to save your arse! the gearing range is really good for the bike, im tempted to put a 36 tooth middle ring on it as it really is quick up hills you can stay seated for so long.

Downhill and windey trails it really is fun, i wouldnt be scarred in taking this on a light downhill track at all, the bottom braket for me is a great height for giving a good centre of gravity i have had no problems with cranks hitting things any more than any other bike. its very easy to flick round and easy to jump and launch on. it feels steady in the air and solid on landings. cornering is great very racey.

One minor problem i have found when really thrasing it is that the front forks cant cope that well when taking jump after jump after bern. i cant really critise as this only happens on trails where more than 100mm is needed, the rear suspension just encourages so much more which the front cant handle. so if you are a cross country rider with downhill routes (or just likes the hammer downhills and do jumps/drops) i would suggest running 120 on the front. One fork which is great for this bike is the pike 454 air 110-140 which is really good on this bike, sort of turns it into a short travel freeride bike with xc race capabilities (new market here??!!) however this is my xc bike so i will be sticking with the stock forks which are more than capable 99% of the time.

Too save some weight, the best ways for this bike are changing the tyres and changing the forks, cranks and maybe turning the seatpost to ibeam, nothing else is worth changing, the rims are light along with the other componets. i will be leaving mine as it is as it feels lighter then it is and everything works great. i will be replace parts when they are worn as there really is no need imho.

Two points i noticed when reading other reviews before buying which i disagree with.

TYRES are crap apprrently. dont listen to this, these tyres are really good and the wider versions are commonly seen on dh tracks. I find they have lots of grip and good rolling resitence, one hint, the quicker you go the more grip you have ;) really confidence inspriing for long off camber corners, i find they are best in lose damp surfaces to dry soil and lose stones. not perfect in muddy slippery goo but what is that is quick rolling??!! leave them on!!

However i do realise because of the price range of this bike lower skilled new riders will be buying this and these tyres maybe not suitable for anyone of lesser skill/balance therefore imho i would recommned high roller xc for those riders.

SADDLE - this is a £70 xc saddle, it is hard yes, but its very light. its also fairly wide so basically leave it on and let your bum get used to a new pressure point.
If you continue to have problems, check you have the right frame size, saddle height and riding position etc.

I would mostly recommend this bike to those wanting a xc bike that is quick but also very capable of being thrown around. if you come from a downhill background or just like to pull of the odd trick and like to thrash a bike this is the bike for you. also very good for those that want a full sus that acts like a hardtail but takes away the big bumps for longer rides and for staying seated where its not possible on a hardtail. the spec is perfect you dont need anything more than this. but everyone is different, ride before you buy!!

in my opinion this is the best trail/xc/endurance bike on the market. the nearest competition to this bike is the santa cruz superlight and coming in a late second is the trek fuel. all of which are more expensive and have softer rear suspension systems.

Favorite Trail:   south downs!!

Purchased At:   blazing saddles rust

Similar Products Used:   kona dudu (custom geomatry), gt zaskar, kona stuff, gt lopes, santa cruz superlite, giant trance 1,

Bike Setup:   uk stock with shimano pedals cleats one size flat the other. purchased at www.blazingsaddlescycles.co.uk

Submitted by Boris_159 a Cross Country Rider from Titusville, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Great for a first FS Bike. Same frame as high end Giant Bikes. Good seat and mechanical brakes.

Weaknesses:    Great for the price range

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE FOR THE PRICE!!! I've made the switch to a FS and have not looked back. A lot of people will tell you that you need to spend a lot more to get a decent FS. The Maestro suspension with the "Giant" brand rear suspension works wonderful, and if you feel the need, this bike is very upgradeable.

I've rode the hell out of this thing and have not had any real issues other than parts that are going to break no matter what bike your riding (rear derailleur etc.).

In short, if it's in your price range and your debating a hardtail... BUY THIS BIKE! I was thinking 29er hardtail and I'm really glad I chose to go FS. I plan on riding this frame for a good number of years to come! Also you can't beat the Giant customer service, there are definate perks to buying from a huge company.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Pro

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Answer Pro-Taper Handlebars, replaced grips, XT rear derailleur. Other than that... stock.

Submitted by slyder327 a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame, excellent brakes, fantastic rear shock for house brand

Weaknesses:    Canadian version came with terrable Marzochi front fork...MX Supercomp. This fork was useless for anyone with a manly frame (207lbs)

Bottom Line:
Great bike to start into the full suspension XC field with. It has a fantastic frame, swing arm, and decent crank, for the money. I have been impressed with it's ability to charge up and down trails I would have shied away from with other bikes. Long road runs are a no brainer, no fatigue or cramping....just pure power to the ground. This bike inspires so much confidence you'll look like a super star on your first ride. Just watch the front fork, it has a mind of it's own if you are over 180lbs. Limited ...very limited....it will get you into trouble in a hurry. I found mine making painful noises when pushed past 80%, back off your pace and it was butter.
Do yourself a favor if you do purchase this machine....change the fork to a Rock Shox Reba Race. I did and it is amazing....works great with the stock rear and will handle anything you can throw at it.....it might even laugh, and ask if that's all you have got!

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn, GT

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except my beautiful new front fork.....quiet...quiet, let the heavens sing down on us......Rock Shox Reba Race.....Yeah Baby...what a fork !

Submitted by Pockets21 a Cross Country Rider from u.s.

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Strengths:    Handels very well, maestro suspension, low climbing gears, all around great bike

Weaknesses:    the seat, the tires

Bottom Line:
A very soild bike. I test rode a few other full suspension bikes from kona and cannondale, none of them felt nearly as smoth as this bike. I just took it on two 4 hour rides through all kinds of terrain and i have no complaints about the bike, except fot the seat. The tires are ok. But overall, its a lot of bike for a little cash

Favorite Trail:   ?