Giant Trance 0 XC Full Suspension

• Cranks: RaceFace Deus LP
  • Rims: Mavic CrossMax ST

Submitted by atta a Cross Country Rider from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable for me, light and fast great climber, looks cool too.

Weaknesses:    Only the Mavic ST has some weird noise under pressure, i think the spokes are rubbing each other, but that's not Giants fault.

Bottom Line:
Best bike i ever had and perfect for all day ride, climbs better than my carbon Trek Fuel. Feels like the bike has no limits (it could be dangerous sometimes) bottomless feeling on downhill's, great design and looks. The weight is 12.3 kg witch is great for a 5 inch trail bike with aluminum frame, but i think it feels lighter than that actual. I'm happy with my Trance and i recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Pilis

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   Pro Felex Animal'97, Specialized FSR S-Works '02, Trek Fuel 100 OCLV '02

Bike Setup:   Factory set up with XTR pedals,Size"L"

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from saratoga, ny

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    suspension, climbing

Bottom Line:
I have been on a Jeckel for 10+ years. I have to say it is one of the finest pieces of sports equipment I ever bought. But it's time to move on, it's had it's day. The Giant Trance is the next level.If you like obstacled climbs this is the bike.We just dialed in middle range suspension settings at the shop and I took this thing on advanced Eastern singletrack. It was superb. You aren't aware of the suspension, it just does its job while I peddled over rocks I used to have to steer thru. It is nimble in the front, cuts the sharp corners and switchbacks with finess. And with four in of travel, a lot more than my old headshock, it is still about a pound lighter than the very light Cannondale. The higher end models are carbon and about 5 lbs lighter -now you're getting into road bike wts!

Similar Products Used:   cannondale Jeckel

Bike Setup:   xt/xtr

Submitted by JRock1979 a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    They made all the right upgrades from the earlier models. I commute to work on this bike everyday and ride trail on the weekends...Sweeeet!

Weaknesses:    I've only had it for 2 months but I've put about 500Kms on it!!! Nothing so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a big jump from my Kona Fire Mountain XC HT but it was well worth the expense. The component set is high end with maximum durability in the XTR set and the lightness factor lets me go whever I want.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Velocity Cycle

Similar Products Used:   First XC trail full suspension

Bike Setup:   Full XTR drivetrain, Raceface Carbon bar,Carbon post, and stem,Avid Elixir Brakes.

Submitted by Jez a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    2008 model bought: really refined tubing set/pivot position, lighter frame weight, perfect geometry, improved cable routing, even better paint finish, killer parts-spec!

Weaknesses:    Nothing to speak of, except the tall head tube might be too much for some, but the stem doesn't feel too high for me

Bottom Line:
I had the original Trance2 05 model, thought it was a little weighty.
Changed many parts on that bike, but thought it was excellent.
Decided I needed a bigger bike, and went up to a Reign1.
Now I have returned to a Trance since the 2008 models came out.
The parts-spec is amazing for the money.
I upgraded the parts (above) to get it to exactly the parts list I wanted (no Shimano!) and swapped the stem from 100mm to 90mm (it's got a long top tube).
It's hard to fault.
Travel is limited but ramps up nicely to feel bottomless, and is very well balanced between the RP23 and Reba Race. The light weight is fantastic: it accelerates and climbs like it's got an engine. Love those Mavic CrossMax SLs!
The ProPedal Fox RP23 is a great match to the Reba Race fork, and when both are 'locked out' (set the Reba to match the ProPedal 3 setting on the rear) it's still superb, only releasing the suspension on the biggest hits.
I was looking for one bike to do it all, had no need for more than 4" of travel and found everything I wanted in this bike. Previous Maestro bikes had shown me how good it was, and this bike is the ultimate refinement of the concept (so far!).
Well worth a look...

Purchased At:   3000.00

Similar Products Used:   05 Trance2 (first design), 06 Giant Reign1, 08 Giant Anthem & Reign (plus other brands tested)

Bike Setup:   Stock Reba Race, RP23, Mavic CrossMax SLs
Changed parts:
Avid Juicy Carbons (7" front rotor), SRAM X-0 shifters/derailleur/PG990 casette/991 chain/FlakJacket gear cable set, ODI RaceFace Lock-Ons, Fi:zi'k Gobi XM, Crank Bros Acid2 ti/carbon pedals, PopLoc Adjust

Submitted by MARK DELANEY a Cross Country Rider from rancho mirage ca

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Strengths:    WANTED A BIKE THAT WOULDN'T BRAKE THE BANK.I'M 40 AND A LEAN 200LBS. CLIMB IN THE SADDLE 'NEVER'NEED TO STAND UP TO CLIMB IT JUST DOESN'T HELP! BUILT FOR LONG RIDES!

Weaknesses:    CHANGED OUT THE TIRES FIRST KENDA NEGAL 2.35F/2.10B. UPGRADED CRANK XTR AND FRONT DER-XTR

Bottom Line:
I TOOK 2MONTHS OFF THIS PAST SUMMER TO BEAT THE SHI !!,OUT OF THIS BIKE DID OVER 950 MILES IN NORCA AND IN OR. I BENT REAR DERAILER THAT'S IT. I RODE IN 1-12HR SOLO EVENT AND 1-24HR EVENT 5-MAN. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A RIDE ALL DAY BIKE.THIS COULD BE IT. I BOUGHT MY WIFE THE SAME BIKE IN HER SIZE. I JUST UPGRADED HER TIRES TO KENDA'S EVERTHING ON HER'S IS STILL STOCK. SHE RODE THE SAME MILES I DID THIS PAST SUMMER.ALL HARD CORE RIDING CHECK OUT OAKRIDGE OR. GREAT S.T. RIDING.

Favorite Trail:   OAKRIDGE,OR.

Purchased At:   LOCAL BIKESHOP

Similar Products Used:   GIANT ANTHEM DEMO'ED,I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME

Bike Setup:   STOCK EXCEPT FOR ABOVE MENTIONED UPGRADES

Submitted by Deron Dilger a Weekend Warrior from Golden

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, plenty of travel, no pedal-bob, "flickable." Rides smooth, like it is floating an inch above the path.

Weaknesses:    None discovered so far.

Bottom Line:
Awesome set of components for the money. At 26.5 lbs with 140mm in the front and the ~5" in the rear, this things climbs, jumps, and descends like a dream.

Not a downhill bike but since I have only one bike to tackle it all with, this is an awesome All-Mountain bike. Tackles long cross country rides but eats up baby-heads, 5' drops, and rock bands like a magic carpet. I can't wait to take this to Keystone bike park next summer.

I have the medium frame (I'm 5'10" and 150lbs soaking wet). Very happy and impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Peak Cycles, Golden, CO

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Straight-6, Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the upgrade from the Fox 100RLC fork to the Talas 32 - 2008 model.(thus higher cost). i.e. XT shifters and front derailuer, XTR rear derailuer, Crossmax ST wheels UST with Kenda Nevegal 2.1, Fox Float RP23 shock, Avid Juicy 7s.

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Componentry on this bike is awesome for the price you pay. Crossmax ST wheels, RP23, F-100 RLC's, XTR/XT....the list goes on.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Well, where do I begin......at first I was so excited to finally get a high end bike, I took it out at first moment. I didnt have a shock pump so I rode it how it was built from the bike shop....It was already a big improvment over my hardtail, but because I weigh 95kg and am 6ft6(riding XL ver)it was setup far too soft for me and I was getting 40% sag just sitting on the damn thing. The front Piranha tire was very skatey on dry hardpack and in loose soil. Now I have dialed in the suspension and the replaced the front tire with a CrossMark, the bike is awesome!!!!

Just got back from a ride and I now have so much confidence in the bike. IT hooks in uphill, rips going down and is very stable and fast on the flat stuff......single track is a breeze on this bike. Was looking at the Anthem, but was too aggresive and I am more of in it for the fun, not the competitivness. Trance is more comfortable on the long hauls and its geometry is more relaxed. Can't beleive i stuck with a hard tail for as long as I did! This whips it in all aspects. So if you want a bike that is awesome value for money and you want to race the occasional race and ride the trails all day long, then look no further!

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike for me. Used to ride a Specialized Rockhopper Disc hard tail

Bike Setup:   stock, except I replaced the Hutchinson Piranha front tire with a Maxxis CrossMark as the Piranha was very skatey and gave me no confidence in the front of the bike in singletrack and fast corners.

Submitted by adam from fullerton

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
If you are 200 lbs plus. Do not buy this bike. Giant installs cheap bearings on the pivots. I have had over four bearing blow outs. I finally found a place that makes replacement bearing kits that are stronger. The guy over there said that the Giant Trance bearing kit is their best seller.

Submitted by Lee Paterson a Cross Country Rider from Dunedin, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Responsive and rewards effort in the climb with Rapid acceleration. Takes jumps and hops with ease, once you have the correct suspension pressure dialed in... and the Fox Float RL front shocks are like butter... beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset apparently a bit dodgy (my bike came with a different wheelset, as the shop weren't happy dialing in the factory standard Crossmax).
Componentry is a lot more expensive at the "zero" range, without massive benefit... beware that higher cost means higher servicing costs - and those XT shifters cost a bit more to replace when you nail a tree...

Bottom Line:
Fun - light and an awesome smooth ride... which is funny given the relatively short suspension at 4.2" rear - just goes to show it's quality, not quantity on some componentry.

If you want to hit the trail harder, I might buy the Trance 2 and save the pennies for repairs.... a friend has the "2" and it is not appreciably heavier, though the float suspensions are nice.

Favorite Trail:   Wanaka Bike Park

Purchased At:   R&R (Second Hand)

Similar Products Used:   Wife rides the Anthem 0 - which is great for a lady, or lighter rider, but I felt like I would break it (I'm 80kg, and like hitting bumps) - I wouldn't hesitate to still recommend this for a race set up - it's certainly light and responsive enough - and there is fun to be had for a more adventurous trail rider.

Bike Setup:   Factory Standard, with WTB gel seat.
Wheelset changed to DTSwiss 4.1D with continental tyres... love the wheelset, but the tyres aren't as light as the facroy set.

Submitted by Keith from Farmington

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    Nice Plush Linear Travel. NO chainfeeback. Virtual pivot point is beautiful! 100mm up front and 4.2" in back perfect all-round combination. ABout 27 lbs with carbon cranks and WTB wheelset LITE, and Juicy 5 brakes, Carbon Hi Rise bar. I bought this after riding the trails around Grand Junction and Fruita. FS makes riding some of these rocky trails much more fun! I have been riding Hardtails since 1991.

Weaknesses:    I'm used to having a frame pump. I do not like using CO2, due to the waste (trash) produced by using. I also would like a second water bottle, but most riders use hydration packs to take care of this nowadays. Not too big of a gripe.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. We'll see if I have any maintenance issues. My wife's rear shock blew the seal within two weeks of receiving it. Fox sent a warranty seal kit. The Fox shock are easy to work on, so I'm not too upset about this.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Framset, LBS, Ebay Custom Build

Similar Products Used:   Yeti ARC hardtail, and others. Giant NRS, borrowed.

Bike Setup:   Manitou R7 w/LO 100mm, SRAM x-9 with XT front derailleur, FSA carbon cranks with megaexo, Juicy 5 brakes, WTB LITE Disc wheelset from colorado cyclist, Conti 2.3 tires. Easton Carbon Hi Rise, 20.5" Frame with 130mm stem. I am 6'2".

Submitted by Chris Slack a Weekend Warrior from Venice fl us

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight 27lbs for a 20in frame. Great Components, Wheels, deraileurs, shifters, chain, everything.

Weaknesses:    Not a Shimmano Crankset, the RaceFace works good, an XT would work better.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, Great Company, Suspension works the way it should no bobbing on uphills and keeps the rear wheel on the ground in downhills.

Favorite Trail:   Roller Coaster @ Alafia

Purchased At:   Reale Bicycles

Bike Setup:   XT shifters and front derailuer, XTR rear derailuer, Crossmax ST wheels, Fox 100RLC fork, Fox Float RP23 shock, HG 73 chain, Sram 990 cassette

Taking a dip in a FS bike opinions? Giant Trance X 29er 0, Stumpjumper FSR Elite

I've ridden a old hardrock for the last 8 years and I finally decided to start shopping for a new FS bike. Since it's near the end of the 2013 product life cycle I can get a really good price on a Trance X and a Stumpjumper FSR elite. The FSR elite was 100 more. Comparing the two it seems the ... Read More »

Sheared pawls - Trance X 29er 0

The pawls on my bike sheared today. Only it's 5th ride. My LBS and Giant dealer said they didn't know if they can get the parts or if they will have to warrantee the whole wheel. Anybody else have this happen? Pretty bummed I can't ride my knew bike.Read More »

Trance X 29er 1 vs 0?

Hey peeps. I'm jumping back into mountain biking after about 10 years mostly away. I've got a 2001 Specialized Enduro Sport that I've put a ton of miles on but not a lot recently. I ride road bikes sometimes and I'm not a bike noob, per se, but I've been out of the MTB game for a while, and I'm hav ... Read More »

Buyer Beware - Giant Trance X 29er 0 marketing trick

Just picked up my Giant Trance X 29er 0 from my LBS and I was disappointed to see that the rear shock does NOT have the Kashima coating even though the Giant catalog and their marketing materials all show it with the coating (see photo below from Giant's website). My LBS called his Giant sales rep ... Read More »

Giant Trance X 29er 0 vs Yeti SB95 Race

I've been looking for a full suspension 29er, as I'm ready to go back to full squish after 4 years on a Gary Fisher Paragon (which has been a great bike). I started off focusing on the Anthem X 29er, and really enjoyed my demo ride of one last weekend. However, it sounds like the TX and SB95 m ... Read More »