Giant Trance 0 XC Full Suspension

• Cranks: RaceFace Deus LP
  • Rims: Mavic CrossMax ST

Submitted by Surya a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing bike!! I bought this bike from Tredz, and we done a price match to buy it for £900 ($1450) and it is absolutely outstanding, i have done: Ywal, Penyhdd ect... And it has gone through these tracks like a tank! Looks amazing, feels amazing, and is really smooth. Tires are massive and chunky. 27 gears is loads!

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all, except pedals, i would reccogment buying the nukeproof pedals with this bike.

Bottom Line:
Amazing, buy this bike if you are going to buy a full sus. I really do think this bike is amazing, all the people i meet always say: "Nice bike!" or "Nice bike, how much did you pay for it?" This bike is %100 worth buying.

Favorite Trail:   Ywal: Graveyard

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Purchased At:   http://www.tredz.co.

Similar Products Used:   Scott aspect 940.

Bike Setup:   Camelback mule, gloves and helmet

Submitted by denton an all mmountain rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    great tires, good seat, awesome brakes, good for going up steep hill or going down some gnar hills and for the price you cant beat it

Weaknesses:    both shocks squeak, seat post

Bottom Line:
overall it is a great bike had it for 6 months and love it, very hard on it and it is still going, cant beat it for the price!

Submitted by Swhyte

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Strengths:    Ride, confidence inspiring handling and value for money

Weaknesses:    None for this money

Bottom Line:
Cannot fault this bike. Ive added a 130mm sektor fork, wider bars, shorter stem and a chain device. It eats descents, great all rounder!

Submitted by 950sm07 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Strengths:    Good components for the price, great geometry, Maestro suspension is unbelievable.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
My first FS bike after a 26" HT and a 29" HT. I kept the 29" HT and I was thinking on buying a 29" FS. I wasn't sure about the 29" on the technical trails and I test rode the 2013 X2 26" on a 20 miles ride and I was sold immediately. I did the body scanning at the LBS and they set up the bike perfectly. The Maestro suspension worked like a flying carpet and I loved everything about the bike. One week later I had my own Trance X2. Since then I am riding it on the local trails and after ~200 miles I am very happy with it.
I hope I won't be disappointed with it in the long term.

Purchased At:   Alpinbike.hu

Bike Setup:   Converted to 2x10 (24-36+BBG bashguard).
Brakes upgraded to Shimano XT (BR-M785)

Submitted by marvin rouge

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    Plush full susser which prefers steep techy downhill territory.

Weaknesses:    I had an XL and really this was a bit small for me (my new bike is XXL). As a result of the high seat post I found it very hard to get front to rear balance right - bike didn't really handle properly unless I had the front suspension harder than the rear - but this tended to sit me over the back wheel too much. Then the front end was overly skittish. I also had to work really hard to get my weight forward in the corners or the front wheel would wash out.

This exacerbated a very poor climbing capability. Repeat, this bike does not climb well. With the wimpy pro pedal in the Fox Float R and no lock out, there is a lot of bob going up hill. Very tiring bike to ride for this reason.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this bike promised a lot but in the end disappointed. I suspect if it sized me better then I might not have been so disappointed. Also, it might not have disappointed so much if the terrain in my area was steeper. So this is probably not an entirely fair review.

Bottom line: don't buy one of these too small, as it exacerbates a tendency to be over the back wheel. And don't buy this as a XC bike, only use it for AM where you have steeper terrain.

Submitted by efdeel

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    great price - performance

Weaknesses:    my 2012 trance, have avid alexir 1 brake set....its not perfect, i change it to shimano deore 569

Bottom Line:
overall its greatttt bike. for AM, i also change stock stem to funn 45mm for better steering in downhill

Submitted by P Mac a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2013

Strengths:    Great all round trail bike, climbs and descends equally well, positive handeling, 15mm front axle.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket clearance, press fit bottom bracket started creaking after 3 rides, cheap grips.

Bottom Line:
Very capable all round trail bike that dose most things very well. Perfect for the Perth hills except the lower BB height causes a few pedal strikes in the rocky terrain.

Purchased At:   Speedlite Cycles, Pe

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by thredbo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    plush, looks awesome, descends great, xt rear derailleur is great, light

Weaknesses:    Paint scratches easily

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2011 Trance in early 2012 for $2500. This is the first dual-suspension bike that i have owned. I am impressed how easily this bike climbs and I love the buttery smooth suspension on the descents. The XT rear derailleur shifts really smooth. It corners great. I couldn't be happier with this bike. if you want a good, reliable, well-performing bike than this is the bike for you.

Duration Product Used:   Start of 2012 - present

Purchased At:   Woolys Wheels

Submitted by Sin city biker a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2012

Strengths:    Picked up a 2008 X2 medium at the end of the calendar year for a good price. First full suspension bike. After riding the hell out of this bike for 4 years, the bike and it's components have held up well. Basic tuning, cleaning, fork and shock rebuilds have kept this bike going strong. I am not lightweight by no means (220 lbs). Handles technical single track and rock gardens well. When descending at speed it handles and keeps a good line. Climbs like a billy goat! I have an tried and true wtb velociraptor mounted on the rear and with the maestro suspension it digs in like a tank tread. Just a great all around xc bike. The Fox fork and shock with maestro suspension shine together.

Weaknesses:    Stroker ryde brakes. Heavy wheel set.

Bottom Line:
Can't go wrong for the price. Solid. 3rd Giant MTB bike. They build them to last.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods. Willowdale State Forest.

Duration Product Used:   2008- present

Purchased At:   Dave's Bike Infirmar

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX770, Specislized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Stock with outering removed for bash guard.

Submitted by Dandyboyo2

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    Strengths: Excellent Price for Component ratio, Acceleration, Frame & Design, Lightweight, Reliable stopping brakes, most other components...

Overall this bike has one formidable strength which is: being all round good in every aspect.

Weaknesses:    unfortunately I have found some weaknesses in my time of riding the bike, but I would just say these weaknesses can easily/cheaply be fixed.

The first weakness I noticed was the seat & post, (Although I fixed this quite easily and at a cheap price)
The seat post was far too high for the bike, I bought a medium size frame and noticed when I lowered my seat as far as it would go I still needed to be 6ft 10" to even touch the floor. I did however take my bike to my LBS (local bike shop) and the cut 3" off my seat post. However that was not the only problem with the seat as I noticed the quick release for the stem was very flimsy and awkward to adjust. The final issue is the actual seat. after riding around an hour my but began to go numb and was quite painful when all I wanted to do was have a nice ride home. I would suggest upgrading the seat straight out, unless you're more of a stand up person, because the seat itself isn't too bad on the eye.
Second weakness I found was the front brake, when testing this on my first day I came to notice a loud squealing noise when slowing, which does in fact make me feel a little comfortable using it when people are nearby.

My third weakness is the tires/inner tubes, after my first day of riding I got my bike home to be cleaned and noticed a piece of plastic stuck in my tire, so I pulled it out; the inevitable happened... My first puncture, I wasn't too fussed about this however, when undergoing the mending process I noticed that the stock tires and inner-tubes are remarkable thin. the tires are too pliable and have no bulk to allow them to hold a structure against my grip, this is the first/second thing I would recommend upgrading on the bike as it seems to me that punctures may be a regular occurrence with the stock wheels.

Bottom Line:
After noticing the trance x4 almost first in my search for a decent mountain bike I always seemed to go back to it as i felt it had fairly adequate parts for the price which were more affordable than other bikes, such as the Specialized FSR Stumpy.
However I managed to come across the Trance x3 and decided the extra quality of components was worth an extra £250 over the Trance x4.

Excellent Price for Component ratio. (Having bought the bike 1 year + later than it was release) I managed to get the Trance x3 for £1,449.00, which I feel is a superb price for the bike it is.

The frame and design on the Trance x3 is stunning, such an attractive bike.

This bike makes climbing look effort less, the 10-speed drivetrain allows precise changes which provides the rider with versatile climbing over any type of hill.

Acceleration on this bike I feel is immense, a couple of revolutions of the pedals creates so much momentum!
I can easily reach car familiar speeds in gear '12', less than half of the bikes' top gear...

The Fox Float suspension on this bike is great, I have no need to slow down when I approach a curb as I can glide up it with minimum discomfort due to the great quality suspension, this bike takes bunny hops and jumps to an extreme level. :)

After buying the Trance x3, I fully 100% support my decision on bike choice.

Submitted by Tom a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2012

Strengths:    Shifting is extremely smooth, FIT lockout is highly responsive and the bike design looks awesome. Definitely worth the money.

Weaknesses:    Setting up take a while. The weather changing the PSI is annoying. The recommended sag level is a bit silly as it would always bottom out on little jumps and curbs.

Bottom Line:
If I were you I would definitely have the Trance X1 2011 my first choice, it's cheap for what your getting and performs in an awesome way.

Favorite Trail:   Hammys and Original in Queenstown

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by t2091

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    For the price and what you get, you really can't beat this bike. Climbs great and descends like a dream. This is my first full suspension and really I couldn't of asked for more as I was on a tight budget plus I bought it as demo bike. You have a great frame to build off of if you want to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    None really for the what the bike is. Some minor upgrades wouldn't hurt.

Bottom Line:
Overall I love this bike. I've upgraded the shifters and derailers to X9, wider bars and a shorter stem and in the process of getting some new wheels for it. I really look forward to riding it every time I go out.

Submitted by MrMountainbike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    Great all around bike. Can handle anything you throw at it and look good doing it.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur is shimano deore basic model, has lots of chain slap.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for someone looking to do a bit of everything.

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast and pretty to look at. All XTR equipment and very reliable.

Weaknesses:    None with the exception that the bike is way too good for the current riders ability.... give me time though!

Bottom Line:
After months of considering other bike made by Specialized, Lapierre, Santa Cruz etc, etc. I stumbled upon this little gem. On researching I began to challenge what bikes were used by the successful professional mountain bikers out there and worked on the logic, if it's recommended by them, then it must be something special. Living in the UK, Liam Killeen is the UK No 1 ranked mountain biker in the country and his favourite bike is the Giant Anthem X Advanced SL. I have to agree with him since buying this bike. It's light, responsive, fast, and, although not a critical requirement of a bike, very nice looking! I managed to pick this up used at less than half the cost of its brand new price tag but if paid full price wouldn't be giving 5 chilli's - shop around if you're interested and you may be lucky. You can actually turn heads with this bike! It does everything it needs to with the utmost efficiency. Buy this bike and every ride will have you grinning cheek to cheek. You'll be flying past the competition. It does everything well, and just that little bit better than every other bike I've ever ridden.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Stability, cornering, value for money, dropper post

Weaknesses:    front wheel can wander a bit on steep techy climbs

Bottom Line:
I was riding a Yeti 575 but it had a few characteristics I wasn't happy with. Was looking at my options and had bought an Anthem advanced for racing. I loved it so much I though I'd take my chances on a Trance and I'm so glad I did! This bike is so stable on fast, rough and loose terrain it's amazing. Unlike my last bike which used to skip around, the rear end on this thing stays so stable, hugging the ground, and not loosing traction at all. It also doesn't mind getting a bit of airtime, with the 5" of rear travel being taken up smoothly and not bottoming out once.

The value for money is absolutely unbeatable. I got mine as a runout model (2013 bikes already on there way) and for the price I paid, you wouldn't be able to buy my previous bikes frame! The dropper post is a welcome addition to the build, making it easy to get back on fast and loose descents. Mine has the Talas 140/125 fork, and while I was dubious that 15mm would make a difference, it does seem to help on steep climbs. In 140mm mode, the front tyre does tend to wander a bit.

For anyone that doesn't have endless funds, or just wants an exceptionally good bike without having to spend a fortune, look no further. I can't say enough good things about this bike, given the choice of riding the Trance or my Yeti which cost twice as much, I would pick the trance every day of the week (hence selling the other bike)

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks