Giant NRS Composite 1 XC Full Suspension

• Headset: FSA Orbit ACB
  • Spokes: Stainless Steel, 14/15G butted

Submitted by Jonathan Kibrick

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    Efficient on uphill. Performance on the downhill with comfort.

Weaknesses:    None, only that they don't manufacture it anymore.

Bottom Line:
Buy one used if you like covering distance in comfort while doing the downhill with total control and comfort. High value bike. Bike was recommended by a friend who really knows and covets quality bicycles. This has and is my all time favorite mountain bike.

Submitted by Beardo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, Handling

Weaknesses:    Small amount of bob but understandable for a 2004 bike, weight compared to new bikes

Bottom Line:
The bike has been brilliant and I've covered more than 12000kms on it, mix of road and off road riding trails all around South Australia. A few parts have been replaced in this time, but the frame is still going strong. Rock Shox Reba leaked after a few years, but had them serviced once and still working nicely. The bike is great for fine tuning to your weight and riding style.

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek

Duration Product Used:   8 years

Purchased At:   Super Elliots (2004)

Submitted by rkj__ a Racer from Niagara Falls, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    A great combination of efficiency and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Not a dramatic improvement over the aluminum version.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It sprints like a hardtail, but is much more comfortable. Cartridge bearings all around, and a Fox rear shock stay smooth for a long time.

I got this frame as a warranty replacement for an aluminum NRS. Honestly, I did not notice a significant difference moving to the carbon front triangle.

Purchased At:   Bike Fit

Similar Products Used:   Aluminum NRS

Bike Setup:   Reba Team, Mavic rims, Shimano 9 speed drivetrain, Avid BB7 brakes.

Submitted by Jakob a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth, stiff, strong, light, nice look (i dont have the US-painted frame, but a frame in black only. Much nicer..:)

Weaknesses:    Out of production and replaced with a frame wich is maybe even better, but not that nice.

Bottom Line:
A fantastic frame.

Favorite Trail:   The red..;)

Purchased At:   Local website

Similar Products Used:   Fuel 9,9

Bike Setup:   Fox RLC 100 mm, Hayes Mag, SRAM X.9 / X.0, Truative Stylo carbon,

Submitted by noguerol a Cross Country Rider from Madrid, Spain

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Very light, super finish, really effective anti-bob suspension.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely great frame. Very light (2.5kg at 22,5") and very effective suspension system, with no bob when pedaling in the seat nor standing while offering true absorption of medium to big bumps. Top notch carbon manufacture with a very sleek gloss finish.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Manitou R7 Platinum, American Classic wheel set, XTR/XT group, Formula oro k24 brakes with alligators, FSA / Kore elite / Saso titanium parts.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Iowa

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Strengths:    A very well-designed suspension system/frame that allows you to build a light bike that won't fall apart. Superb Giant carbon layup as usual.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I transferred many of the parts over from my 23.75 pound '99 DS1 to this frame. I also upgraded the fork and some other parts. This bike resolves many of the issues I had with my DS1; having to use my Risse Astro-5's lever to stop bobbing, and a few other small things. The frame is an absolute work of art per usual for Giant. If you want a plush-riding bike this isn't it! It is a great trail bike that does all it's advertised to do. I also like the fact that the shock and fork offer a significant range of adjustment. Plus the fork has an inch more travel than my old '99 SID. This bike may not be for everyone, but if you want a serious cross-country style ride then grab one of these while you can still find them. I found a frame/shock and didn't hesitate to grab it.

Favorite Trail:   Any one I can get to

Similar Products Used:   '99 XtC DS1

Bike Setup:   '05 NRS C1 M frame, '06 Reba World Cup, King/317 wheelset, RF Next LP crankset/ti bb, '08 XTR frt/carbon rear derailleurs, XTR shifters, Formula Evo brakes with Alligator rotors, Cane Creek Cloud 9 shock, USE carbon post, WTB saddle, Profile ti stem, Titec ti bar w/carbon Mid 100 bar ends, Arundel cage, etc...

Submitted by Steve from IA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Does all it is claimed to; like a hardtail until you need the suspension. I was amazed at how well it worked after wheeling through some local trails that I'd ridden with my old frame/fork/shock ('99 Xtc DS1/'99 SID/Risse Astro-5). Perfect bike for my needs and I got a deal on it too.

Weaknesses:    Clear coat easy to scratch, but I can live with that.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to drop from the 18.5" frame with my old bike to a frame with more standover. And maybe upgrade a little at the same time. I did that, and am still amazed at how well the NRS suspension works when it needs to, and how well it pedals when you don't need it. The fork is a huge improvement over the old flexy SID. Giant really offers some nice bikes, and I'm still kicking myself for waiting this long to get the NRS C1 frame going. The NRS may not be for everyone, but if it suits your rides it is a top-notch suspension design to say the least!

Similar Products Used:   '99 XtC DS1

Bike Setup:   '05 16.5" frame, '06 Reba WC, '08 CC Cloud 9, '08 XTR frt/'08 Shadow rear derailleur, XTR shifters, Formula Evo discs with Alligator rotors, King hubs laced to X317 rims with Specialized tires, RF Next LP cranks and ti BB, Time ATAC pedals with Stan's ti axle/spring kit, Titec ti bar, Profile ti stem, Titec carbon ends, USE Alien post, Selle Italia FKS ti saddle, Arundel carbon fiber cage, etc. Just barely hits under 24 lbs on an accurate digital hanging scale.

Submitted by wellen mercado a Racer from edinburg,texas usa

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Strengths:    fastest climbing bike ive ridden period!!

Weaknesses:    a little short of travel in the backend but if your a racer who cares it all comes down to speed and effeciency..

Bottom Line:
if your willing to sacrifice comfort for performance then this is the bike for you.. dont buy it if your looking for a comfy bike to ride around.

Similar Products Used:   s works epic,ellsworth truth

Bike Setup:   spinergy wheelset,xtr,sram xo's,xrp.

Submitted by KPK from Chicago-Home of King Daley

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, nice finish on carbon, compliant, NRS worked well but not as well as advertised, price

Weaknesses:    Product Warranty, reliability, Still some bobbing. Dialing out stiffness on climbs gives up compliance on down hills.

Bottom Line:
After finding a hairline crack in the seat tube of the frame, I was told it would not warranty due to user error on install. I am an Elite level rider riding and racing for 15 years with money spent from my own pocket, I think I can follow directions on correct seat post placement. What a cop out. A similar crack on a Carbon Fuel was repalced two years ago.

I guess when your're a big Asian bike company that doesn't sponsor any North America grass roots development, you don't have to stand by your product.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 100, Specialized Epic, Specialized S works Hard Tail, Seven Current bike.

Submitted by Hank a Cross Country Rider from North , FL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Strengths:    Rear suspension design, lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Would prefer regular headset over hidden

Bottom Line:
I can't believe Giant dumped this rear suspension design--maybe they didn't want to pay patent royalties on the rear pivot any more. I considered many frames before I settled on this one and it's everything I'd hoped. It's a simple, light and elegant design. It handles any trail I can throw at it and asks for more. The zero-sag rear setup is unique and easy. It climbs like a cat and really doesn't bob. I gave it only four chilis for value because I got one of the last ones and my LBS wouldn't deal much.

Similar Products Used:   hardtails - I'm an old guy and didn't want to get beat up any more

Bike Setup:   Purchased frame, built with Fox FRL 80 fork, Spinergy Zyclone disc wheels, XT combo levers, derailers, cassette, & chain, Avid mechanical disk brakes, Race Face Deux XC crank, stem & bars, Time pedals

Submitted by Tommy a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, excellent parts spec, great looking, and suspension performance.

Weaknesses:    Carbon fiber makes me nervous.

Bottom Line:
I was not even looking for this bike when I was shopping and I couldn't believe my luck. I ended up with a fantastic ride at an amazing price.

This bike climbs better than anything I've ridden since my hardtail days and bombs down hills as fast as I would care to go.

Favorite Trail:   TK Lawless

Price Paid:    $2069.00

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   C'Dale Jekyll 700 & 900SL, Santa Cruz Superlight, Iron Horse Azure Expert

Bike Setup:   Bike is stock with the following changes:
- Swapped out RF stem and post for Thomson
- Put on a set of Fire Pro XC tubeless tires

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to maneuver, really does what it says--NO PEDAL-BOB! I even had a Fox Float RL shock with lockout from another bike ready to swap, but haven't felt the need for it.

Weaknesses:    I wish the rear triangle was also carbon fiber.

Bottom Line:
This is a great carbon frame for a great price. To bad Giant isn't making it any more. Buy one while they are still around!

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3+

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Composite frame, Marzocchi Marathon SL fork, Easton Monkey Lite riser bars, Ritchey WCS stem, Giant carbon 27.2 seatpost, Specialized BG saddle, Mavic 717 Rims, XTR hubs and skewers, DT Swiss rotor adapters, Panaracer XC tires, Avid BB7 disc brakes, FSA XC carbon cranks, SRAM X.0 Twist Shifters, Avid Speed Dial SL levers, XT front derailleur, SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur.

Submitted by Howard Neale a Weekend Warrior from Stockton, England

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2006

Strengths:    Amazing Speed, ive lopped about 17 minutes off my fave local loop.
Very capable trail bike.
Carbon frame is luurvely, overall bike weight about 24.5 lbs.
Got this for only £1400 from Bonthrone Bikes, it was £2500 6 months ago

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this to help improve my Marathon times - if my local loop time is anything to go by, i should fly round them.

Favorite Trail:   Lujar Coast ride, Andalucia, Spain

Similar Products Used:   Also own a Giant VT, Orange 5, and On One 456

Bike Setup:   Standard except shorter stem and wider flat bars with Titec Carbon Bar Ends.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, California

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    Low weight, smooth no-bob suspension that seems to lock out on climbs, fast climbing bike.

Weaknesses:    Occasional chain suck

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever had. I bought this bike following a rather miserable experience with the Cannondale Scalpel Team and I've never looked back. I raced Sea Otter for my first time (and only my second race ever) and placed in the top 10% with this bike. This year I expect to be on the podium at Sea Otter. Aside from the occasional chain suck problem, which can be minimized by keeping the drive train very clean, this bike has no flaws. As set up, my bike weighs a hair under 24 lbs. This bike is well worth every cent I spent on it.

Favorite Trail:   Chesebro Park

Purchased At:   Agoura Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel Team

Bike Setup:   Modified stock setup by adding Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars, a carbon seatpost, Selle Italia 135g saddle, Triple Ti Egg Beaters, XTR cranks and rear deraileur, and XTR rear cassette.

Submitted by Dave Atkinson a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Strengths:    Climbs better than a hardtail, very smooth due to carbon frame, suspension there only when you need it

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike. When I went looking I found SO many options available it was overwhelming. After spending several long nights at the computer digging for info, I went to the bike shop and tried several bikes.

I rode about 10 other bikes before choosing this one. Going for mad suspension was very tempting, but after taking a good hard look at how I would really use the bike I came to the conclusion that the NRS C1 was the best bike for me.

I ride about 50% road, 50% XC on local trails. I like to leave my house, ride to where I'm going, and ride back. I don't usually cart the bike anywhere so I end up spending a lot of time on the roads. This was a huge factor in my final decision.

I had a hard time believing many of the reviews that said it climbs 'better' than a hardtail, but it's absolutely true. The wheels (Mavix CrossMax) are super rigid, transmitting more power to the ground. Absolutely zero pedal bob makes it feel like a hardtail. However the suspension is still active so it eats up the bumps and saves you work on the climbs. I have never had a bike that was so easy to pedal.

Still, it was very tempting to get a big plushie with 6+ inches of suspension. However those bikes are 5-10 lbs heavier and even though most are pretty good on the climbs I found that the NRS C1 beat them all.

The C1 has a 'no sag' setup, meaning that there is no initial sag in the shock (at least in the rear anyway). This is part of the reason it feels so much like a hardtail. The suspension feels like a 'switch' - it's only on when you actually need it.

At first I thought this might be troublesome, or just plain no fun on the roads or if you're just screwing around jumping or whatever. After riding about 50 miles I have found that the suspension is easily activated by just standing up and bouncing a bit. You can preload the suspension to do a quick bunny hop over a curb, get some extra air off a jump, or whatever. The suspension is there only when you want it. It's so freaking choice!

The stock components are great. Shifting is precise and smooth, much better than any other bike I tried. I love the trigger shifters - they are reversed from what I'm used to - the bottom lever moves to a harder gear instead of the other way around. Makes it super easy to sweep several gears when coming off the top of a hill. The RaceFace cranks and gears are fantastic, I have no trouble shifting under power and I haven't missed a shift yet.

This bike climbs better than a hardtail, has modest suspension for the downhills and screwing around, has excellent stock components, and is nearly as light as a similarly equipped hardtail. All in all, it's the best bike I've ever ridden.

Go out and try one now, but be sure you have the money 'cause you'll want to buy it right there :-)

Favorite Trail:   Rampart Reservoir

Purchased At:   Old Town Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Cake 1, Cannondale Prophet & Scalpel, Giant Trance, Reign, Faith

Bike Setup:   Stock + carbon seatpost + cheapie computer