Giant Anthem XC Full Suspension

4.65/5 (263 Reviews)

It is the world’s first no-compromise suspension, with total pedaling independence, zero brake jack and complete suspension activity, three key fundamentals. The Anthem is built for speed with its 3.5 inch travel and amazing agility achieved through meticulously pared down weight, lightning fast geometry and wide open cockpit.

Submitted by Skyler Shylock a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight and agile.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike, now that I am looking for a 27.5 upgrade, I appreciate the value of this bike even more.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab.

Duration Product Used:   4 years - all seasons.

Purchased At:   KLM bikes, Rochester

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Tubeless tires.

Submitted by kevin

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2014

Strengths:    strong uphill climber, lightweight, smooth gear transitions, easy tuning suspension fork

Weaknesses:    tire grip can be improved during wet weather conditions

Bottom Line:
On riding, feels featherlight with excellent control/handling response. the bike is very good on uphill climbs making it seems almost effortless with the sram xo rear derailleurs where shifting up of 2 or 3 speeds can be instantly achieved. The front rockshox fork allows easy adjustment of the hardness of suspension required. The rear fox float suspension can be adjusted as well allowing the bike to perform like a hardtail if required.

For speed runs, this bike might not be as fast due to maybe i'm running on a 26" anthem. But overall still an excellent full suspension bike.

Submitted by rj2 a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2014

Strengths:    I purchased a used 2013 Anthem X Advanced 1 29er. Met all three criteria: Light, strong, and cheap. Originally retailed for $4,800, got mine for $2,550 shipped. Really is

Weaknesses:    No warranty, no shock setup instructions, oversized steerer tube could be limiting

Bottom Line:
You can buy a game. I tested this bike at it's Sea Otter launch and finally rode a bike that was significantly better than my 24.3 lb NRS. I've raced it twice and finished 7 and 6th vs. guys almost six years younger. That's huge when the group is 45–54. Once I converted the wheels to tubeless, and swapped the bars and seat post for carbon, it's only a half-pound heavier than the NRS. Can't wait for a carbon wheel set and Shimano's 1x11 to make it a real KOM machine.

Submitted by Blue&Yellow a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    Superb rear suspension, light for a full suspension bike, very good geometry, stable when you want it to be stable, flickable when you want it to be flickable, very good built quality - no quality issues so far.

Weaknesses:    Weighs more than a hardtail? Carbon fiber doesn't like rocky crashes? Struggling to come up with something.

Bottom Line:
Amazing, amazing, amazing. I've been riding mtb's for 20 years or so, did a bit of racing just for fun. Still pretty fit and ride around 10h/week. My style is smooth and fast XC - my motto is that if it looks slow and unstressed it probably means you picked the right line and didn't waste energy. I usually pass everyone on the trails...

Still - I feel that there is no pride lost when I say that this bike is better than me... that should give you some idea as to how good the SL1 is. This bike is so composed and well mannered that it's almost impossible to get it out of shape, and it's saved my ass on more than one occasion when I know that other bikes would have sent my flying.

The geometry is very interesting - the bike seems to be stable when you want it to be stable and flick-able when you want to flick it. I've been tacking very technical and fast trails between pine trees and then the bike feels agile and loose, I've been sliding down steep rocky hills and then it's been stable and secure, I've been attacking boulders and rocks and then it almost feels like a trials bike. I have no idea how but whatever they did with the geometry clearly works.

The full suspension works very, very well in my opinion. In the beginning I played a bit with the different modes but now I just keep it open. The performance hit is minimal and it's nice to know that the bike responds exactly the same way all the time. As all full suspension bikes you might have to adjust your riding a bit, it rewards a smoother approach with more sitting down and spinning rather than standing up.

The only problem I have with the bike is that it's so God damn good and so God damn smooth that it almost feels too easy - lol. Sometimes I take my old hardtail out for spin just because it's actually fun to be a bit more active with the body, stand up a bit more and get get my teeth shattering - lol. But I know I'm faster on the anthem - much faster.

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast and pretty to look at. All XTR equipment and very reliable.

Weaknesses:    None with the exception that the bike is way too good for the current riders ability.... give me time though!

Bottom Line:
After months of considering other bikes made by Specialized, Lapierre, Santa Cruz etc, etc. I stumbled upon this little gem. On researching I began to challenge what bikes were used by the successful professional mountain bikers out there and worked on the logic, if it's recommended by them, then it must be something special. Living in the UK, Liam Killeen is the UK No 1 ranked mountain biker in the country and his favourite bike is the Giant Anthem X Advanced SL. I have to agree with him since buying this bike. It's light, responsive, fast, and, although not a critical requirement of a bike, very nice looking! I managed to pick this up used at less than half the cost of its brand new price tag but if paid full price wouldn't be giving 5 chilli's - shop around if you're interested and you may be lucky. You can actually turn heads with this bike! It does everything it needs to with the utmost efficiency. Buy this bike and every ride will have you grinning cheek to cheek. You'll be flying past the competition. It does everything well, and just that little bit better than every other bike I've ever ridden.

Submitted by xfimpg

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs effortlessly, no bobbing
Very nervous handling, which can be toned down by switching from 2.1's to 2.5's

Weaknesses:    The fox float fork creaking... drives me nuts.

Bottom Line:
It's a great buy, not to mention lifetime warranty on the frame.

Submitted by dan wiseman

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    good allrounder, lightwieght, components

Weaknesses:    avid 7 brakes are crap, first job replace them

Bottom Line:
excellent bike reliable, fast, and for £1699 you can't go wrong

Submitted by roxstar72 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight, climbs like a hardtail, descends well

Weaknesses:    stock maestro rear shocks needs periodic preventive maintenance..usual bubble on paint on the areas of bottlecage bolts(corrosion?)..poor head tube logo finish.

Bottom Line:
as a descendant of the Giant NRS(no resonance system),this bike climbs well with zero to minimal pedal bob.a great XC rig for its price.

Favorite Trail:   Montalban

Duration Product Used:   3 yrs

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   Anthem S, RS Sid RLT Fork, AmClass wheelset, straight XT dynasys

Submitted by Shane

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    The bike handles great and is very responive. Extreamly light and asends hill climbs like there not even there. Components work well and is a great cross country bike.

Weaknesses:    The frame design from the top tube to the seat has to much leverage (in my opinion) and reduces strength to the top tube weld, i have already had to replace the frame due to cracking on the top tube weld. My rear shock leaked 2 months in. Do yourself a favour and replace the tyres with something that grips soon as you get it.

Bottom Line:
The bike overall is a great bike to ride for trails (anything under a three foot drop off the bike handles great), climbing is second to none, however i would recomend going to a trance if you intend riding rougher or more techo style tracks where you need the bike to soak up the track, i found the Anthem tends to loose its stability once you really start pushing it through faster technical desents

Submitted by Race Man

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    This bike likes to get up and go when laying down power, active suspension when its needed over the rough, race feel, 10 speed gearing spot on for the bike, fork smooth, no need for a lockout on the rear it pedals so good, tires race ready and good in a variety of other conditions, bar width perfect for this bike, weight light and feels lighter to ride. Can convert the wheels to tubeless with rim tape and am classic valve stems.

Weaknesses:    Front der flexes too much so I put an XX on it and made the bike so much better, taking the bottom bracket spacer out and putting it on the non drive side helped as well. The head tube is a bit long so take the spacers out from underneath the stem. This may be more of an issue on smaller models.

Bottom Line:
I have raced/rode this bike for a season now and really like it. Not a trail bike but good for most tame to moderate trails as the suspension is quite active. This bike pedals under power better than other designs I have tried, single pivot, DW link, trek full floater etc. I have loved doing a race season on this bike with no mechanicals!!! not even a flat.

Submitted by dr geoff seccombe

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Owned many bikes over my 67 years, and this is the best! Lightweight, sharp steering, comfortable-saddle just needs a little breaking in-not for lardy types!!Helicopter tape applied to vulnerable parts of frame tubes.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Purchased in sale for £1490-excellent value.

Submitted by Lonnie a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight and nimble. Has such a smooth and responsive ride. Love the propedal an front lockout. All XT components make the drivetrain perfect. A great balance of frame rigidity and shock plushness.

Weaknesses:    Te wheels The WTB wheels are just not up to par. Had them out of round on very first 3ft jump. No issues sense but not toy liking as much as the rest of the bike.

Bottom Line:
Get it I you can. Love the bike and all the riding performance it provides.

Favorite Trail:   Leadville Loop

Purchased At:   Derby bike, Thornton

Bike Setup:   FSA carbon bars, post and stem. Otherwise stock.

Submitted by sammy

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Every thing!! suspension,brakes,gears,cranks,wheels etc!

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike wondering how good, how light etc. I came on here to help me and it sure did. This bike is superb for it's price! Every thing about it is great!!

Submitted by mudgirl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Light, responsive, suspension is extremely smooth, climbs like a goat

Weaknesses:    wheels, tires, brakes, handlebars

Bottom Line:
I have a 2011 model. I test rode several other 29ers, including a Niner Jet9 and Air9, and settled on the Anthem, as it was the one that fit me best. I gave my LBS owner a number in terms of how much money I could spend and asked him to give me the best upgrades for my money. He replaced the stock wheelset with Stan's Arches w/ ZTR hubs and the tires with Schwalbe Nobby Nics, set up tubeless. We also replaced the stock handlebars with riser bars and a shorter stem. The brakes were extremely noisy and "warble-y" at first, but since wearing through the stock pads and replacing them with organic/metallic mix pads, they are much quieter. With these upgrades, I am now extremely happy with this bike.

This is a fabulous XC trail bike. It rolls over obstacles with an unbelievable amount of ease, though, as some reviewers have pointed out, it does have a low BB and tends to smack into logs. As I mentioned above, this thing climbs like a billy goat, and I've been able to climb a lot of steep hills I could never get up before! It's also an extremely stable downhiller, as well. Though I mostly ride XC, there are some fairly gnarly downhill-oriented trails at my local trail system, and this bike is perfectly capable of handling them. For me, stability is the biggest selling point on this bike. I can power through just about anything with it, track stand like there's no tomorrow when I get stuck, and eventually pedal my way out of the situation, and get through sketchy spots on the trail that send others sliding all over or off the trail. I love this bike!!

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow

Purchased At:   Cayuga Ski & Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Stan's Arches, Schwalbe Nobby Nics, Origin 8 riser handlebars, Crank Bros. candy pedals

Submitted by Broomer a Cross Country Rider from Barrie, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2012

Strengths:    Quickness, balance, Maestro suspension, graphics, even braking.

Weaknesses:    None so far. May upgrade drivetrain. Going SRAM quicklink chain and new cassette this year.Fizik seat sucks. Replaced with old model Giant race seat- big butt relief!

Bottom Line:
I'm 60 and finally made the plunge to a proper X-C bike. Best move in 30 years!
Flipped a coin between an All Mtn bike and this one- made the right call as bike is light and I can climb well, even with platforms. Moving to clipless this year and hope to say goodbye finally to granny gear.
Ride 5 x a week mostly tight wooded singletrack- Giant dealer in my area is great for service and tips so no complaints.

Would love to test ride a 29 r model or composite frame model of Anthem one day.

Similar Products Used:   First time quality bike buyer.

Bike Setup:   Level 4 build -Canadian model.

Scott spark 920 vs Giant anthem adv 1 27.5 race report 24 hours rocky hill , Texas

[ATTACH=CONFIG]932568[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]932569[/ATTACH] Just finished racing the 24 hours of Rocky Hill ranch ( Vet masters class ) As a previous 27.5 detractor I have been spending the last month or so testing and playing on both my much loved Scott Spark 29er and the 2015 Giant Anthem Ada ... Read More »

Giant Anthem 27.5 stem length on size S

Anyone know how long is a stem on Giant Anthem 27.5 size S? Thanks.Read More »

Anthem 27.5 Internal cable routing and shock pressure?

Anyone notice their knees hitting their cables? It's not a big deal but I do notice it and would have preferred Giant to have had them enter the downtube closer to the stem. Also, what is your rear shock pressure for your riding weight? Mine seems to be lower than I would have thought. I'm set ... Read More »

Upgrading giant anthem advanced 2??

I just bought a giant anthem advanced 2 looking to upgrade it. The front fork sucks not a huge fan of lockout was thinking of swapping to a 130 revalation. Going to swap to xx1 on drive train at some point. Anyone swap other parts out to make it lighter?? Would like a lighter wheelset but not sure w ... Read More »

Anthem 29er on a haning bike rack carrier

Will an Anthem X Advanced 29er Size Large fit securely on a Thule hanging bike rack carrier without a frame adapter?Read More »