Giant Anthem X2 XC Full Suspension

4.74/5 (46 Reviews)
MSRP : $2050.00

Its versatility makes it one of the staples in Giant’s performance off-road family. The lightweight ALUXX SL frameset is a FluidForm work of art with all the right angles. Add 4 inches of Maestro Suspension travel and new features like a PressFit bottom bracket for stiffness and a tapered OverDrive headtube for pinpoint steering, and you have an off-road bike that’s lightweight enough to race and tough enough to rail nasty descents week in and week out.
  • Fox F100RL, 9mm axle, tapered steerer suspension fork and Fox Float R rear shock
  • Shimano Deore components
  • Giant Connect handlebar, seatpost and stem
  • Giant S-XC2 rim/Shimano (R) and Giant Tracker (F, 9mm) hubs, wheelset
  • Color: Black/Blue

Submitted by dr geoff seccombe

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Owned many bikes over my 67 years, and this is the best! Lightweight, sharp steering, comfortable-saddle just needs a little breaking in-not for lardy types!!Helicopter tape applied to vulnerable parts of frame tubes.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Purchased in sale for £1490-excellent value.

Submitted by Broomer a Cross Country Rider from Barrie, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2012

Strengths:    Quickness, balance, Maestro suspension, graphics, even braking.

Weaknesses:    None so far. May upgrade drivetrain. Going SRAM quicklink chain and new cassette this year.Fizik seat sucks. Replaced with old model Giant race seat- big butt relief!

Bottom Line:
I'm 60 and finally made the plunge to a proper X-C bike. Best move in 30 years!
Flipped a coin between an All Mtn bike and this one- made the right call as bike is light and I can climb well, even with platforms. Moving to clipless this year and hope to say goodbye finally to granny gear.
Ride 5 x a week mostly tight wooded singletrack- Giant dealer in my area is great for service and tips so no complaints.

Would love to test ride a 29 r model or composite frame model of Anthem one day.

Similar Products Used:   First time quality bike buyer.

Bike Setup:   Level 4 build -Canadian model.

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from Sherbrooke, Qc

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    Fast Fast Fast, always want to go faster, very efficient climber, quick steer, suckup smal bumps roots etc...almost no pedal bob. Very light frame. Good components for the $$.

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked after just over a year (junction of top and seat tube) took less than 2 weeks for a new 1 with new rear shock, new pressfit bb and headset :) Frame bit flexy. Need 'in between size' 18' bit small, 20' bit tall :/

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price. Good choice of component

Favorite Trail:   East Hereford

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   GF Sugar

Bike Setup:   shaved 2 pounds by swapping 317 wheels to MT65 tubeless with Geax tnt tires

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    BELIEVE all the reviews. The Maestro rear end prefers being run on the firm side. I upgraded my X2 to all XTR and XO components, including Giant Contact SLR carbon race stem/seatpost/riser bars, for a sub-23 pound singletrack rocket. This bike will change the way you ride, simply because it LOVES going fast....up or down. It plows through rock gardens, technical switchback climbs, and flowing singletrack with complete aplomb.

I came from a 19-pound Cannondale hardtail....and the Anthem X2 still out-climbs and out-descends it by a long shot. Although it loves XC - it still handles light All-Mountain, as long as you build it up with durable parts. Where else can you find a go-anywhere bike that tackles most trails without ever putting a foot down? Nowhere....that's where!

Weaknesses:    Paint scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
"Follow the Maestro"

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24Hrs of Adrenalin Course)

Similar Products Used:   Intense Spider FRO

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Anthem X2 - Selle Italia XC Gel Flow saddle, Giant Contact SLR cockpit, Stan's ZTR Crest wheelset, Kenda Slant Six tires, Fox Racing Shox 32 F100RL, Crank Brothers Candy2 pedals, SRAM X0 twist shifters, X0 Rear Derailleur, Shimano XTR M960 2x9 crankset, CS-960 XTR Cassette, M952 XTR Front Derailleur....equals a 22.9 pound go-anywhere ROCKET.

Submitted by Orthoguy a Cross Country Rider from Western North Carolina

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Strengths:    Holy cats I love this bike. The components on this bike give it a remarkable synergy. It tracks well on the rough and is very nimble on everything else. The Anthem is truly the best bike I have owned to date.

Weaknesses:    I have put on over 1000 hard miles on it in six months and have yet to find a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend the Anthem to any cross country rider that wants a super solid cross country platform that likes to also play on the downhills.

Favorite Trail:   Tanasi, Tsali

Similar Products Used:   Giant Talon

Bike Setup:   I swapped out the flat bars for a Truvativ bar with a little rise. I also changed out the grips and the seat. I may change out the wheelset next year.

Submitted by teknikk7 a Weekend Warrior from Chino Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    Weight - Bike is very light. Shocks, Shimano Components, Brakes, Frame Design, Fox Fox Fox

Weaknesses:    Seat? It is very hard but super light. I bought a WTB replacement but actually ended up putting the stock back on. I am not sure why, it just felt better...

The grips felt bad to me so I changed them.

Bottom Line:
This bike is incredibly light OTB (under 26lbs). It shifts smoothly and accurately. Brakes are very solid. Tires seemed like they were lacking a bit of tread, but so far have held up to some pretty steep downhill and they corner well. I may wait to upgrade those. This bike is very fast both up and downhill. Was a bit worried about only having 4" of travel but it has proved to be more than efficient for the type of riding I have been doing. Suspension took a while to get just rite. I have it plush and it takes anything I have thrown at it. The bike looks great to boot. Overall, I love the bike and would purchase again.

Favorite Trail:   Chino Hills State Park

Similar Products Used:   None,just hardtails. (Cannondale, Scott)

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock except carbon seat post and handlebars, changed grips.

Submitted by ReneB64 a Cross Country Rider from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    rides smooth over obstacles, rocks, roots etc, downhill is a dream, again smooth ride pro pedal works well fairly lightweight bike (at least compared to my last one). The bike looks fantastic.

Weaknesses:    well, the seat is a torture device, I had a WTB Speed Comp V on my old bike and it was 100% more comfortable. My first ride out I went 1 mile, and it already was painful. I could go 50 miles on my old speed V and not feel a thing, but hey, the seat looks great. The standover is not so comfortable either: I have a small frame bike, and i have a 29.5 inseam so the way the bar rises as it meets the head is a family jewel killer that I am not looking foward to when it happens. Everyone talks about the tires, they pick up everthing and fling it back at you. They may not be the grippiest (is that a word?), but keep in mind the setup is for racing so they roll pretty good.

Bottom Line:
This might be blasphemy my old 1995 diamondback hardtail that I have been riding 2-3 times a week since March felt more comfortable to sit on than my new Giant. Riding, thats a different story, it is very smooth, rolls over objects well, and rolls well on the trail both uphill and downhill. The seat needs to go, I can live with the tires, I will have to tweak the bike, probably put more into it to get what I want. Maybe I should have given the Gary Fisher Rumblefish a second look, almost bought it, but the components were better on the Giant and it was less expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Canyon

Purchased At:   Coates Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback 1995 response sport hardtail. (got my money's worth)

Bike Setup:   2011 Anthem X2 29er stock setup

Submitted by "Rod" a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    I have the suspension setup firm on my bike. I compete in many races and the bike has handled everything I've thrown at it in the last 6 months. I've competed in muddy races, a 12 hour solo, and the bike has performed fantastic. My friend hit a tree at 20+ mph with his anthem. The tire hit the tree and the bike, fork, and he survived. He didn't break anything on the bike, but he wasn't using the stock wheels. I was amazed. It's a very durable bike. After riding my steel hardtail I would have lower back pain. I hit the weights over the winter and combined with the new bike I no longer have lower back pain after 30+ mile mountain bike rides.

Weaknesses:    When I first got the bike I felt like I was sitting very upright with the riser bars and spacers under my stem. This was easily solved by installing my flat bars and putting the spacers over my stem.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike, it absorbs the bumps, can be setup not to feel the bumps beneath you or much firmer, and I am very happy with the anthem as a xc race bike. I'm giving it a 5 on value b/c I didn't pay full retail and 5 on overall because it has performed flawlessly overall.

Favorite Trail:   More technical the better

Similar Products Used:   many other bikes

Bike Setup:   The only thing I've changed from stock is I'm now running a flat bar, moved the bar much lower, and running tubeless tires.

Submitted by adieb a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Quick, Responsive

Weaknesses:    Mavic 317's and Crossmark Tyres

Bottom Line:
Standard kit of excellent quality other than the Mavic 317 which are a little heavy and the Crossmark tyres which I found too skittish for anything other then dry hardpack. Change the wheels and tyres as soon as you get it and you have bought yourself a rocket ship of a bike.
Incredible ride and performance sweet to the point of gooey stickiness!!!
Rides on anything and does it quickly, reponds well and easy to correct.
An absolute joy :-)

Favorite Trail:   Dalby

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rift Zone

Bike Setup:   Stock other than Schwalbe Nobby Nic's and American Classic MTB Tubeless Wheels.

Submitted by jimmy157 a Weekend Warrior from JAX FLORIDA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    RESPONSIVE,ALL YOU DO IS POINT AND SHOOT....

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR

Bottom Line:
BEST BIKE FOR THE BANG....

Favorite Trail:   SAN FELASCO HAMMOCK

Purchased At:   BUILT IT GROUND-UP

Similar Products Used:   TITUS RACER X,EPIC,BMC FOURSTROKE,YETI KOKOPELLI

Bike Setup:   XTR 10 SPEED(1X10)AVID CR BRAKES,FOX FORK,AMERICAN CLASSIC WHEELSET(CERAMIC BEARING)

Submitted by Mountain Biker a Cross Country Rider from Berkshire MA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing speed - rolls over anything

Weaknesses:    doesn't like to wheelie - immediatly had shop put on a 1.5" riser bar instead of flat bar - HELPS ALOT - don't bother with flat bar at all - Make sure rear shock is set to the firm side

Bottom Line:
Road my new Anthem X-2 29er today and loved it!! Thanks for the riser bar - it was perfect.

It does ride like a big bike and takes a fair amount of body english to whip it around corners. Rear end does tend to squat in turns a little bit more then I was used but I think I am still under inflating the rear shock - course have it at 190 already..... Still has the same issue with getting the front end up but with the 100mm fork all you have to do is do a little preload to pop over things that you can not just roll over with the big 29er wheels.

Certainly would not have enjoyed it anywhere near as much with straight bars on it - in fact I compared to other bikes and the bar versus seat height shows the bars to still be low even with the 1.5" riser on it. I suspect the stem needs to be steeper then 8 degree to unload the front end even more. The longer stays does make it slightly front heavy but climbing is a snap. I suspect with a stem like 80mm x 15 degree with a 1" riser will be close.......

10 speed was spot on shifting, brakes were dreamy, wheels and forks seemed stiff straight and true and rolled over just about anything. Strange but I found the 10 speed too closely geared - speed changes quick in the woods and super close gearing might not be as nice on the road. 36t with the triple and 29er wheels still came up just a little harder gearing then a traditional 3x9 with a 22x34 on the bottom.

Another great thing - that saddle and ability to very quickly drop off behind the saddle - even just for popping over things you can actually get the bike out in front of you - suspect this is a benefit of the slightly longer rear stays - makes is a quick pop to launch over little bumps......

Love the fork, love the through Axel, brakes were spot on!

The trails were leaf covered today so the traction was at a premium - tomorrow will ride the PSF on cleaned trails so will see how it does on that.......

Favorite Trail:   6 mile

Purchased At:   Berkshire Bike and B

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Titus, Niner, Soul cycles, Ventana, Mercier, Trek and many others

Bike Setup:   Stock Anthem X-2 29er 2011

Submitted by McKongster a Cross Country Rider from sydney, nsw, australia

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, speed, Bangs for Bucks

Weaknesses:    Can be twitchy

Bottom Line:
First up, the bike is a rocketship. I clocked max speed of 57.9km/hr on the Sydney Harbour bridge according to my iPhone! (Couldn't sustain it though).

I'm about to swap my tires out to Racing Ralphs to see whether it improves the corner hook ups because I'm finding the Vredesteins washing out (I also tried a set of Kenda Karmas and they were crap. Gave me 8 stickes).

I find this bike makes you take on a riding style that is a little less flowing and more choppy, i.e. point and shoot, point and shoot which is very different to something like a 575.

There is also an unusual riding position that is making me use completely different muscles when climbing really steep hills. Maybe I need to adjust my seat...

Bottomline is the bike is an angry speed demon that just wants to be pushed as hard and fast as you possibly can.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow hill, Mount Stromlo

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Trek Ex8, Superlight,

Bike Setup:   Stock with DT Swiss hub and wheels. Vredestein Black Panthers tubeless.

Submitted by Pock a Weekend Warrior from Bend OR (Currently in Wichita Falls Texas)

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2010

Strengths:    Good solid setup right out of the box

Weaknesses:    Maybe the tires for some riders.

Bottom Line:
This bike is FAST. There is no way around the speed you can build or how it carries it! It is a rougher ride.

Impression… Mind you, I'm still setting up the shocks and tire pressure but the bike is incredible. The tires do seem a little slick in loose soil but if it’s hard pack or damp they are good. They sucked in sand but really what doesn’t? They roll well and I didn’t have the rock issues I read about. The seat is a little hard, but I only notice it when I initially change my seating position. I’m sure it will break in. The Giant components on the X2 are all good and fairly light weight. In fact the stem, seat post, and bars are all shocking light! I found this out because I swapped a few components. I shorted my stem by 10mm since I’m 5’8” on a medium and I had carbon bars and a Thompson seat post on my previous bike. The seat post weight difference was trivial, so much that I’m considering putting the Giant post back on because every part of the bike matches from the blue on the post to the blue on the grip locks… Talk about some attention to detail! The bars are lighter at 27” than my 25” EA50 bars I had laying around and the stem was awesome.. just a little too long for me.

I recently rode my first race on my Diamondback Mission 2. It was roughly 12 miles in some rough trail and steep obstacles. I rode the same course Friday night on the Anthem and knocked 5 minutes off my time! I agree the Anthem is not as ride over or down anything feeling and you do have to pick your lines, but I think with sometime in the saddle I will be just as comfortable on the Anthem as I was on my mission in the steep downhill’s and rough sections. I can only see my time getting faster!

I was torn between this and a Trance… Yesterday in some of the really rocky downhill sections I wished I would have picked the Trance (which a friend of mine happened to be on) but for any other part of the ride there was no comparison. Like I said I think with some seat time I will be just as solid as the Trance would have been. So if you’re like I was a stuck between the two, unless you’re always on a trail so rough that it beats you to a pulp get the anthem… Trail bikes of a couple years ago only had four inches of travel… this could be the best all round bike yet! One to trail ride on the weekends and race a few times a year… Oh and BTW It was under 26lbs in a medium out of the box!

Favorite Trail:   Just anything