Giant Anthem X1 XC Full Suspension

4.65/5 (23 Reviews)

Who says you need to choose different bikes for XC racing and trail riding? Anthem X is for competitive riders who want to go fast and also want to have fun. The lightweight ALUXX SL frameset is engineered with FluidForm tubing and geometry that has been perfected over years of development by Giant riders and engineers. Its Maestro Suspension, tapered OverDrive 2* headtube and PowerCore bottom bracket give it a smooth, quick-handling trail feel so you can make every ride a little faster, and a lot more fun.

• Fox FLOAT RL Evolution with QR15 thru-axle, OverDrive 2 tapered steerer suspension fork and Fox FLOAT RP2 Boost Valve rear shock
  • Shimano Deore XT componentry
  • Giant Connect SL handlebar and seatpost
  • Sizes: S, M, L, XL
  • Color: Satin Black/Silver

Submitted by dan wiseman

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    good allrounder, lightwieght, components

Weaknesses:    avid 7 brakes are crap, first job replace them

Bottom Line:
excellent bike reliable, fast, and for £1699 you can't go wrong

Submitted by Shane

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    The bike handles great and is very responive. Extreamly light and asends hill climbs like there not even there. Components work well and is a great cross country bike.

Weaknesses:    The frame design from the top tube to the seat has to much leverage (in my opinion) and reduces strength to the top tube weld, i have already had to replace the frame due to cracking on the top tube weld. My rear shock leaked 2 months in. Do yourself a favour and replace the tyres with something that grips soon as you get it.

Bottom Line:
The bike overall is a great bike to ride for trails (anything under a three foot drop off the bike handles great), climbing is second to none, however i would recomend going to a trance if you intend riding rougher or more techo style tracks where you need the bike to soak up the track, i found the Anthem tends to loose its stability once you really start pushing it through faster technical desents

Submitted by Necki1 a Weekend Warrior from Barnstable, MA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2012

Strengths:    This bike immediately demonstrated its strengths. Super fast, stable and responsive through the corners, uphil and down. it inspires confidence and provides instant advantage over my hard tail bike. my cornering ability and climbing ability has strengthened thanks to this bike. although it is 4 lbs heavier than my hard tail, the geometry and components all but make up for the extra weight.

this bike Begs to be ridden hard, and rewards you for doing so? You'll find yourself rifling through the gears as you accelerate rapidly!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the cost and well worth the effort to get ahold of.

Purchased At:   giant Boston

Submitted by tristero a Weekend Warrior from Lansing, MI USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, Suspension!!!!, Components, VALUE!

Weaknesses:    Wish the FORK on this had some kind of brain-technology like the new DRCV fork on the 2012 Fuel EX 8/9. It's a bit of a compromise for the rest of the frame and suspension and components. But if you set it up right it's still nearly top-notch.

Bottom Line:
Cockpit fits like a perfectly seemed glove. The bike becomes an instant appendage, whipping, turning, climbing, and rolling smoothly. You cannot get this thing to pedal bob more than a cm; it's crazy. These Giant engineers have found a way to make a FS climb and sprint forward like a HT. The geometry of the bike feels racey, and the bike is very light. But I never felt like I was going over the handlebars (flipped the stem up rather than down). Light and Strong/Stiff. The steering is nimble and responsive. Where I live, we don't have mountains...but we climb and descend and the terrain can get rough...but not too rocky...so a 4" travel bike is about perfect for MI and my light weight (5'11" ,145lbs). I rode the Trance after this at the shop and knew within about 6 pedal strokes that the Anthem was a gem. If you want a fast, light, responsive $3000 price-range bike, this is it! The MAESTRO suspension made a believer out of me not just by feel, but by checking that sag ring over and over and it just hardly moved while I sprinted and climbed but ate up drops and steps... This is a highly highly highly rated bike for a reason...

Favorite Trail:   POTTO

Purchased At:   Riverfront Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Epic, Fuel EX 8, Niner, various other FS and HTs

Bike Setup:   Stock - XT!

Submitted by Rhodesie a Racer from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly light, extreamly comfortable riding position for me, climbs better than my old hard tails ever did, value for money with the stock parts is great but still allows some easy upgrades

Weaknesses:    Stock bars were far too wide for me and some of the other Giant parts worked fine but were swaped out for asthetic reasons

Bottom Line:
This bike has been brilliant. I decided on the Anthem after reading the reviews here and I am extreamly happy with it. Giant have the best value for money bikes in my opinion and they also back it up with performance. I cant think of a bike that I would rather ride during a marathon race.

Favorite Trail:   W2K

Similar Products Used:   Mostly hardtails before this

Bike Setup:   Ritchey WCS bar, stem, seat post , bar ends, ESI grips, xtr shifters....

Submitted by apache70 a Cross Country Rider from Korea (republic of)

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is top class and by far the best I have ever owned, very fast, almost as light as some considerably more expensive carbon offerings and a design proven at the highest level. Only has 4 inches of travel but copes with most terrain very well.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Best choice to XC riders.
Resonable price to its highet performance.

Favorite Trail:   mountain, road

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Santa Cruz Heckler, Superlight. Various Marin Mount Visions, Cannondale Rush.

Bike Setup:   Everything is original, except for the saddle.

Submitted by &^S$t9eph%8n a Cross Country Rider from Auckland New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    First full suspension bike I've used. Climbs as well as my KHS hardtail but tracks better up and down climbs. Very responsive, light but (so far) seems able to take the knocks. The components all seem to work well together. As would be expected compared to a hard tail, I can take uneven surfaces and drops more confidently.

Weaknesses:    Took a while to fit the bike to me...I am 5' 6" and using a small frame - took the wide handlebars off and using flatter narrower bars - suits my riding style which includes narrow fast single track. The suspension is quite firm, but am getting used to it now and prefer it.

Bottom Line:
I am a 50+ rider that enjoys flowing single track and some technical trails, but not major drop-offs...the bike feels like a good mix of being fast and manoeuvrable but comfortable enough for three-plus hours of riding. I was looking for something light enough so I can still climb as I age without dying half-way up, but was also reasonably bomb-proof for the inevitable crash...and I am happy with what this bike delivers in this regard. Of course you pay for what you get. I would note that my old steel frame still delivers - with more practice I am sure I will get faster than I can be on the hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Cross country single track

Purchased At:   Planet Cyles Aucklan

Similar Products Used:   Used a hard tail KHS with '04 bombers and basic Shimano all round.

Bike Setup:   Standard apart from putting on narrower handle bars

Submitted by DiscoStu a Racer from Waterdown, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Maestro suspension, lightweight, FULL XT drivetrain stock with XTR shadow derailleur. Sharp as a razor for handling. XT wheels are UST so slipping on your favourite tubeless skins is a piece of cake!

Weaknesses:    Same as it's strength - the razor sharp handling. As a previous poster mentioned, if you are having an off day you can end up in trouble because the bike is way ahead of you.

Bottom Line:
2010 version is fantastic. I didn't like the thought of crashing a carbon bike in a rock garden so I went with the highest level aluminum machine I could find. Having full XT means everything works together as it should. No compromises on components on this bike. Get one! Older Anthems couldn't handle wide tires, but I can fit a finger between my tires and any part of the frame with 2.25s on it.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Oakville

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC Pro, Kona Cinder Cone

Bike Setup:   Stock except Schwalbe Rocket Rons and Crank Bros Candy SL pedals

Submitted by Francoisrdt a Weekend Warrior from Quebec

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight yet plush, Nimble, Flickable... so incredibly fast...

Weaknesses:    Long term durability of all the pivots is yet to be proven, as is the strenght of the frame. Giant Contact seatpost is not doing its job well, as experienced by some of my collegues too.

Bottom Line:
It is not my first ride on an anthem X, but its my first one on a bike that is that well spec'd! Again, the feel you get out of this bike is really, really strong: a generous 4 incher that's super efficient and responsive. That's why I picked it, even if i ride with more trail-oriented riders and bikes.

By far (with XT wheelset), it is the best climber i've ever ridden, and descends just pretty, pretty well. SID team lets you tune everything in the fork. Brakewise, I wasn't sure about the XT's, since I'm a long time Avid lover. And they did everything I asked them to, just fine too! Let's say their smoother, but the skid-cornering efficiency factor still is there.

We will see the reliability of all that superb package in a couple of months, for now I'm just in awe and starting my story with it. Like I said, since I'm going to go rough on it, I'm wondering it that «racer» is gonna hold on.

Purchased At:   Le Yeti Store Montre

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Vertex, Giant Reign, Intense Spider 29, Amoeba Hussar, Giant STP1, Giant Trance X

Bike Setup:   Anthem X1 full XT/XTR with Hope upgrades, Carbon handlebar 690mm, 90mm stem and tubeless Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 setup, for a tad bit of burlyness.

Submitted by Matt Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Halifax, UK

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, responsive.

Weaknesses:    Fizik saddle a bit un-comfortable on 3 hour+ rides

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike about a month ago to do local cross country challenges and its an absolute joy to ride. You get on it and it just wants to fly. Living in the Pennine hills of West Yorkshire there are a lot of long, steep climbs to cycle up and this bike just laps them up..
I'd strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to go up hills fast, improve their XC challenge times or just have a blast!

Favorite Trail:   Local Pennine Hills

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR comp

Bike Setup:   As delivered.

Submitted by Bzzz a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2010

Strengths:    Maestro suspension. Stiff frame. weight.

Weaknesses:    none found yet

Bottom Line:
Every time I ride this bike I end up with a big smile on my face. Just paddle as hard as you like and the bike takes care of all the bumps and hits.

Similar Products Used:   Univega HT590.

Bike Setup:   2010 version

Submitted by DanB1978 a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great buy and has won top marks in all magazine tests for a reason. I am interested to know how the previous reviewer who is the only one who doesn't rate this bike has owned for 2 years when they haven't been available that long????!!
If you buy the latest incarnation of this bike you won't be disappointed, perfect XC performance.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   J E James

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Superlight. Various Marin Mount Visions, Cannondale Rush.

Bike Setup:   Hope hoops, Hope X2 brakes, Easton Monkeylite carbon, XTR, Thomson etc.

Submitted by geoff a Racer from alabama

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Strengths:    i like the grips but thats all

Weaknesses:    the bike in general

Bottom Line:
terrible

Favorite Trail:   forest

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   crapy

Submitted by reinaldogue a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Strengths:    The suspension is very good, tight as hell, the shimano group works excellent. Very light and fast.

Weaknesses:    The wheels, I broke a lot of spokes. I ride on bumpy trails, with a lot of rocks and rooth.

Bottom Line:
If u have the money and wants a bike that is light weight, just 24.5 pounds at that price..get it..
The whole bike just work perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta