Giant Anthem X Advanced SL 1 XC Full Suspension

The fastest XC bike ever produced by Giant. Take the world’s best performing suspension system-Maestro-and mate it with the incredibly lightweight, stiff and sharp-handling Advanced SL-grade composite frame. With a massive downtube and bottom bracket for pedaling effi ciency, plus an OverDrive tapered headtube for steering precision, a podium is in your future.
  • RockShox SID RLT with 15DA thru-axle, tapered steerer suspension fork and RockShox Monarch RT3 rear shock
  • SRAM X.0/X.9 component group
  • Giant Connect SL stem, handlebar and seatpost
  • DT Swiss X430 rim/DT Swiss (R) and Giant Tracker (F, 15mm) hubs, wheelset
  • Color: Composite/Red

Submitted by rj2 a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2014

Strengths:    I purchased a used 2013 Anthem X Advanced 1 29er. Met all three criteria: Light, strong, and cheap. Originally retailed for $4,800, got mine for $2,550 shipped. Really is

Weaknesses:    No warranty, no shock setup instructions, oversized steerer tube could be limiting

Bottom Line:
You can buy a game. I tested this bike at it's Sea Otter launch and finally rode a bike that was significantly better than my 24.3 lb NRS. I've raced it twice and finished 7 and 6th vs. guys almost six years younger. That's huge when the group is 45–54. Once I converted the wheels to tubeless, and swapped the bars and seat post for carbon, it's only a half-pound heavier than the NRS. Can't wait for a carbon wheel set and Shimano's 1x11 to make it a real KOM machine.

Submitted by Blue&Yellow a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    Superb rear suspension, light for a full suspension bike, very good geometry, stable when you want it to be stable, flickable when you want it to be flickable, very good built quality - no quality issues so far.

Weaknesses:    Weighs more than a hardtail? Carbon fiber doesn't like rocky crashes? Struggling to come up with something.

Bottom Line:
Amazing, amazing, amazing. I've been riding mtb's for 20 years or so, did a bit of racing just for fun. Still pretty fit and ride around 10h/week. My style is smooth and fast XC - my motto is that if it looks slow and unstressed it probably means you picked the right line and didn't waste energy. I usually pass everyone on the trails...

Still - I feel that there is no pride lost when I say that this bike is better than me... that should give you some idea as to how good the SL1 is. This bike is so composed and well mannered that it's almost impossible to get it out of shape, and it's saved my ass on more than one occasion when I know that other bikes would have sent my flying.

The geometry is very interesting - the bike seems to be stable when you want it to be stable and flick-able when you want to flick it. I've been tacking very technical and fast trails between pine trees and then the bike feels agile and loose, I've been sliding down steep rocky hills and then it's been stable and secure, I've been attacking boulders and rocks and then it almost feels like a trials bike. I have no idea how but whatever they did with the geometry clearly works.

The full suspension works very, very well in my opinion. In the beginning I played a bit with the different modes but now I just keep it open. The performance hit is minimal and it's nice to know that the bike responds exactly the same way all the time. As all full suspension bikes you might have to adjust your riding a bit, it rewards a smoother approach with more sitting down and spinning rather than standing up.

The only problem I have with the bike is that it's so God damn good and so God damn smooth that it almost feels too easy - lol. Sometimes I take my old hardtail out for spin just because it's actually fun to be a bit more active with the body, stand up a bit more and get get my teeth shattering - lol. But I know I'm faster on the anthem - much faster.

Submitted by jmowatt a Cross Country Rider from lantzville BC

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    light fast price (giant best deal always) full xt .

Weaknesses:    nothing YET!!

Bottom Line:
this thing is so fast i weighed it at 24 lbs with time pedals.tubeless small block eights my other bikes are alittle dusty .i thought it might be to racey for every day riding but has being great, my first concern of course was the carbon frame, but i dove in and just love it .

Favorite Trail:   AMC

Purchased At:   mbr classifieds ..us

Similar Products Used:   i have a reign and a trance love the maestro rear end

Bike Setup:   full stock xt ,,,with up graded carbon bar, seat post,mavic SL wheels very light tubeless.

Submitted by bax05 a Cross Country Rider from Nambucca NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Strengths:    Riding for 12 mths haven't touched a thing. The bike is amazing.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
Buy it. You will not be disapointed. Strong, Fast, and realiable. With the tubeless tyres and goo, I have NOT had a punture. It is amazing, and with the tubes I was getting pinch flats all the time. The gears are sharp and crisp they respond beautifully. The lock out on the front and rear, hardly touch it because the set up is that good, I don't get much bob. Brakes, wow stops on a dime, tyres I have still the standard Maxxis Cross marks, they are a great tyre. LOVE this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Jacks Ridge