Giant Anthem Advanced XC Full Suspension

• Cranks: Shimano XTR
  • Tires: Hutchinson Piranha

Submitted by kosciusko a Weekend Warrior from Canberra

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Responsive light agile.

Weaknesses:    It is breakable, crossmax wheels require a lot of maintenance, I wasn't keen on the xtr brakes replaced these with juicy's.

Bottom Line:
I loved this bike. It is a fast xc bike. Although, it is breakable. I am a 55kg female and I managed to crack the middle of top tube in a fall. Unfortunately Giant didn't warranty the frame, understandable though when you read the warranty conditions. I am now looking at an aluminium replacement.

Favorite Trail:   stromlo

Similar Products Used:   Yeti kokopelli, xtc, reign

Bike Setup:   Aus 2007 model

Submitted by EJ a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, FL , USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Strengths:    Frame is extra stiff and very light.

Weaknesses:    Not much, perhaps, cost but when compared with other bikes in this category it is right on target.

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this bike last year about one month after purchasing. I now have several thousand miles on it and multiple upgrades. I like this bike even more now than I did out of the box. This is still extremely fast and agile. Perhaps the best bike I have ever owned, right next to my 95 GT Team LTS. In my opinion the value has only gone up on this bike. This is a bike for the racer and the endurance rider. It is fast and extremely responsive. I don't know of any other bike that climbs anywhere near as well as Anthem Advanced.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   S-Works Epic, Epic Marathon, Moots YBBAir, S-Works Stumpy FSR

Bike Setup:   XTR Cranks, brakes, front and rear derailleur, Rotor Q rings and SABB, Roval E5 Wheels, DT 190 carbon shock, Fox f80X fork, Gore Ride-On Cables, Speedplay Frog Pedals, S-Works Fast Trak Tires

Submitted by Mllfalcon a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight. Fast handleing. Stiff headtube and bottom bracket.

Weaknesses:    A little expensive. White not my favorite color.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a pleasant surprise when I first took the Anthem 0 on a test ride. The suspension was very efficient yet still had great small and large bump compliance. The suspension is active under braking which gives the bike great control. The anthem advanced is even better the the aluminum version. It is stiffer and at the same time a little smoother riding. My only complaint I have had is the color. I think white is a bad color for mountain bikes because it shows too much dirt. I do have to admit that the bike looks geat when clean though. I was so impressed with the ride of this bike, I sold my Ellsworth Truth to get this. I think that says alot for the ride quality of the Anthem because the Truth rides great. The anthem rides better and handles better.

Favorite Trail:   Racoon Mountain

Purchased At:   East Ridge Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer-X, Ellsworth Truth, Anthem 0, Tance 1, Trance X1

Bike Setup:   Sram X0 rear der. and shifters, XTR cassette, front der. and crankset. King hubs, sapim laser spokes and DT XR4.1 rims, Nevegal tires, Easton ec90 seatpost and Monkey Lite SL handlebars, Hope Mono Mini brakes

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Strengths:    Light, stiff, XTR especially the wheels

Weaknesses:    80 mm fork gives you too steep a head angle, not enough pedal clearance. I don't like the stock tires

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet with the 100mm fork and XTR group. The XTR shifters seemed a bit touchy until I got used to them. I was concerned that the wheels would be weak, I weigh 180 and have been riding them with no problems or truing needed. I agree with others, this bike accelerates and climbs really well. The frame is very stiff and the rear suspension with the rp23 works well. it's expensive, but it is an awesome XC rig. 4 chilies for the 80mm fork, 5 with the 100.

Favorite Trail:   Ft Valley, Mt Elden

Purchased At:   Absolute

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic S-works, FSR XC

Bike Setup:   stock, except I replaced the F80RLC with a F100RLC and the Michelin's replaced with Specialized Control 2Bliss w/stans

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful geometry and handling in a stiff but light bike. Awesome climbing bike without sacrificing stability and control descending. Terra logic fork is a great addition as well.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very fast. I would recommend to any racer who anyone looking for a serious racing ride.

I raced this bike in XC, 24 hour events and the Trans Rockies this year and never had a single problem. I am looking forward to trying out the 2008.

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Calgary

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Trek Fuel, Jamis XCR

Bike Setup:   Stock w/Egg beaters and different Fizik saddle

Submitted by henry a Downhiller from singapore

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2007

Strengths:    quite a tough frame.
and very light. the lightest bike i ever had as a downhiller
used it as an all mountain bike
jump around 2m high and nothing happen

Weaknesses:    the stock tire sucks.

Bottom Line:
don't be afraid that you will break it
its really a tough one

Submitted by simon happy a Racer from st-jerome,quebec,canada

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    weight for a dual suspension,new xtr is the best ever(fast),fox fork works great in technical section,climb like a hardtail and descent like a dualsuspension.

Bottom Line:
Best bike ever had...if you are a serious racer and want the best... buy this bike

Favorite Trail:   Moc prevost

Purchased At:   RST Vélosports

Bike Setup:   stock with slr xc saddle ,xtr pedals and straight bar with barends

Submitted by Blake a Racer from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    Super quick handling. Carbon frame, rear triangle, and linkage not only makes it super light but also really comfortable on the trail (23.1 lbs straight out of the box in Large, no pedals). You feel so connected, without fatigue on super-long rides. The overall build kit is the best, '07 XTR is the best ever (so much faster than my X-O Carbon last season). The Fox 80X feels better than last years X, and the Fox RP23 is a noticable upgrade from the Fox RP3 of last year.

Weaknesses:    Limited Availability.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you can. It is worth every penny. The reviews are true.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Creek

Purchased At:   Peak Cycles, Golden Colorado

Similar Products Used:   Castellano Fango w/ XTR, Yeti ASR-SL w/ SRAM, among others...

Bike Setup:   Stock + SLR Saddle, 4-Ti Pedals, Bontrager XR Tubeless Tires.

Submitted by Sacke a Cross Country Rider from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, components, looks, handling!!!

Weaknesses:    It is almost too nice, I don't push it as hard as my old bike. When it comes to the parts, the XTR disc brakes have not yet been as nice as my old Formula Oro K18. Time will show. The modulation and braking power should improve after a few more hours of use. The Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels are great except for the freewheel. How many teeth are there? I miss my instant engagement of the Hope Pro II hub... However, with this bike, one is most likely pedalling all the time and thus not paying attention to freewheel teeth, but still. I would have preferred a quicker engaging freewheel when starting to pedal even if the sprockets carried a few grams of extra weight.

Bottom Line:
The Giant Anthem Advanced is a really nice bike. I have previously made compromises on uphill performance and prioritized smooth and plush downhill performance.

The S-works SJ FSR 120 was a light and versatile bike, but lacked true uphill efficiency. I found myself all too often wishing for a hard tail when being left behind in steep hills.

The S-works had 120mm of rear travel and 130mm of front travel. Moving to the Anthem with roughly 90mm of rear travel (3,5") and 80mm of front travel... I thought the downhill performance difference would be bigger, but the only difference so far is that downhill riding needs to be a bit more active and choose easier lines than before. The loss in time on downhill streches is definitely made up for in the next uphill.

The Anthem Advanced is at its best when going uphill and riding fast flat trails. Bunnyhopping, pushing it into corners, quickly accelerating out of corners... the anthem truly excels as a really balanced race bike.

--> Much nicer than the Cannondale Scalpel which felt uncomfortably front heavy and the twitchy rear on the scalpel didn't exactly impress me either. I am sure many scalpel owners would disagree, but with my riding style and weight (80kg) the Giant feels more reliable.

All in all, the Giant has convinced me but the list price of 6700 € is too high for the bike to receive 5/5 chills on value. In performance/overall rating, I don't have the slightest doubt. For me the bike is probably going to be the first one in years that I don't sell in less than a year due to some disappointment. I have found what I looked for.

Favorite Trail:   Luukka 2000

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, S-works SJ FSR 120, Cannondale F800, Cannondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Factory setup

Submitted by Todd a Racer from Atl, Ga USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous "Weakness" comments. The XTR shifts better (In my opinion) than any other component group I have ridden. It shifts very fast and the bike handles like it's on rails (as the saying goes). Deffinately not for the novice but a blast for everyone else. I was surprised that it handle noticeably better than my 2006 Anthem 1.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo

Purchased At:   boardnbike.com

Submitted by Todd a Racer from Atl, Ga USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    Sweet looking and craftsman ship! The component group is A class all the way around. Completely stock requires no upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Not sure if it is a weakness yet but the shifting is definately not XTR smooth. It reminds me of SRAM all the way. Thats not neccessarily a bad thing but I like smooth.

Bottom Line:
If you can get one do it!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo