Giant Anthem 2 XC Full Suspension

4.16/5 (31 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

A key weapon in Giant pro Kelli Emmett's bag of tricks, Anthem X W is the ultimate XC all-rounder.

Submitted by xfimpg

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs effortlessly, no bobbing
Very nervous handling, which can be toned down by switching from 2.1's to 2.5's

Weaknesses:    The fox float fork creaking... drives me nuts.

Bottom Line:
It's a great buy, not to mention lifetime warranty on the frame.

Submitted by roxstar72 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight, climbs like a hardtail, descends well

Weaknesses:    stock maestro rear shocks needs periodic preventive maintenance..usual bubble on paint on the areas of bottlecage bolts(corrosion?)..poor head tube logo finish.

Bottom Line:
as a descendant of the Giant NRS(no resonance system),this bike climbs well with zero to minimal pedal bob.a great XC rig for its price.

Favorite Trail:   Montalban

Duration Product Used:   3 yrs

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   Anthem S, RS Sid RLT Fork, AmClass wheelset, straight XT dynasys

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Super light, Fast, Responsive,

Weaknesses:    Maxxis tires

Bottom Line:
Finally upgraded to a full suspension bike, been wanting one since it first came out. What finally convinced me to get a new bike was after riding my brothers Fuel EX 8, it was a night and day difference compared my old Giant. It didn't feel like you were trying to make it up the hill, it just went up it. I looked at Fuel EX, Top Fuel 7, and the Anthem X1. None of the LBS had one for me to test ride but all the reviews i read said nothing but good things about it. Still i was open to the Trek cuz my i rode my bothers and it was a nice bike. I went to my local Trek store because they had a Top Fuel in stock and was I ready to buy it, when i walked in not one person helped me. Left and ended up finding a last years model Anthem X2 100 miles away which is the same as this years X1 and saved some money on it. All I have to say is this bike ROCKS!! So happy I got it! It is super light, very balanced, lighting quick handling, and if put your foot on the crank it just takes off. I don't know what makes it so fast? Is it the lightness, is it the hubs, or is it the whole package? It is just plain fast! XT brakes has excellent feel and stops on a dime, Fox shocks and Maestro suspension works great once you have it dialed in, feels plush but responsive at the same time just like how a nice sports car feels like. The rear deraileurs feels crisp but lagged a little sometimes but not every time, comes with Connect SL parts so you don't have to worry about upgrading to lighter part as these are very light already. The only bad thing are the tires, they do not grip well even on concrete when pushed, i took a hard fast turn and the front started to slide. however they are very light, which is why they probably used them on this bike. There is very very little suspension bob but doesn't feel like i'm having any power loss through it, with Propedal on there is no bob'n at all. Havn't gotten a chance to try it on the trails yet, but will be looking forward to it. Compared to my brothers Fuel Ex 8, the Trek feels more neutral and has a nice quality feel to it, the Anthem just makes you feel like WOW this bike wants to just go and go. Bike is 26.6 lbs with Shimano M320 Pedals, not the nicest pedals but i got them thrown in.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle

Purchased At:   Michael's Bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant Sedona since 1989

Bike Setup:   Stock for right now, XT drivtrain, SLX Hubs

Submitted by cigar_fiend a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    Please realize this comparison is in relation to my old hardtail. This bike climbs and decends so well it gives me the confidence to go after obsticals at speed that I would have slowed down for before. This thing is geared for climbing. I was making it up steep inclines that my fellow riders had to either walk because of fatigue or were so slow because they were on a heavier bike.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain is Deore.... but that is easliy upgraded.

Bottom Line:
Having ridden this bike a few times on 'Actual Trails' and found myself more refreshed after 15 miles than I was after 10 miles on my old hardtail. I know this bike isn't the lightest or best equipped thing on the market, but it is already a full 7 pounds lighter than my Trek 4900. I found this at a local bike shop as a 'new/never ridden/old model' This is a 2008 frame that the shop built up with the new components because they had the frame in the back of the shop. I am really happy with this bike. I can't wait to get going and shave a few pounds in the future with a better 1)seat post, 2)bars & stem, 3)front & rear derailleurs, 4) crankset, etc.

I will stop back and update this as I get more experience on this new ride.

Favorite Trail:   Draper & Clear Bay

Purchased At:   Bike One

Similar Products Used:   My only other bike was a 2006 Trek 4900 Hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Totally stock + Tubeless tire setup.

Submitted by Foxadv a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Good value, reliable

Bottom Line:
This is 2009 model review 26 inch wheels.
I bought this bike for XC racing. This bike was made for racing, it's fast and handles the single track amazingly. Climbing is great with the propedal turned on. Shocks are excellent. I used the Anthem for two years now and can't say one bad thing about it, no mechanical problems, withstood serious wipe outs with no damage. It is a racing bike but don't be discourage by it. It works for me as a trail bike very well. Unless you're planing to do major dropes and rock gardens the 10mm suspension is sufficient for trail riding. I can handle same obstacles on the anthem as my friends on 29 inch bikes. I love the full suspension it makes the ride so much more pleasent. If you are serious about mountain biking and have the cash, go for the Giant Anthem, you'll get better value than other companies and you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Sweet Pete's

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by loud a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great spec, good price, improved pedalling efficiency compared to the Yeti (which is an awesome bike in it's own all-mountain right). Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Some of the stock parts needed immediate replacement.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an enduro bike because that is my focus for this year. Sick of dragging a Yeti 575 around 100km courses. The seat post has a known warranty issue, and doesn't look that great anyway. The stock seat is a Fizik, which does not suit my butt (seats are a personal thing so not real criticism there - the fizik is a good spec seat) Grips were crap giant brand, so changed to lizard skins. Michelin tyres are no good in Western Australian conditions, so changed them.
First ride was awesome. Great pedaling efficiency and handling, suspension does everything its meant to do, quality components otherwise. Good descender and I am very happy with the climbs. Giant make good bikes. I couldn't justify a $4000+ bling bike, and am very happy with the Giant Anthem X2. It misses out on 5 chilies because of the crap grips, seatpost and tyres.
Recommended for XC and racing (ie guess - I'm not a real racer but a friend got one for that reason). It is not an all mountain bike, but I would take it places that needed a 5" bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Dell, Jarrahdale

Purchased At:   Wembley Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Raceline Hardtail, 2009 Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Stock, but have changed the seat to a Charge Spoon (personal fave)and tyres to Ignitor front / Crossmark rear which is an ideal setup for local conditions. Also looking for a carbon handlebar to further assist impact reduction.

Submitted by aldridge999 a Cross Country Rider from Lewisburg, WV

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great climber, quality suspension setup, durable, comfortable XC geometry

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket: bottoms out all the time. Rear triangle feel heavy for a XC bike (bike weighs 30 lbs)

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good XC bike with decent parts spec. Definitely need different tires unless your ride pavement a lot. Hayes brakes are great and lightweight but I have problems with the rotors rubbing and squeeling (same problem with Hayes on my Kona). The Reba fork is suprisingly stiff and performs well, as does the Fox RP2 obviously. So if you're a cross country rider I would recommend this bike. However, I am an all mountain rider and when it comes to gnarly decents this bike gets overwhelmed. Plus the bottom bracket bottoms out, literally, so watch out for big rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Douthat State Park, VA

Purchased At:   local guy

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Mavic durance,

Bike Setup:   XL frame, stock components except WTB veloci-raptor tires.

Submitted by Hudson Valley Trailhead a Weekend Warrior from Hudson Valley, NY

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2009

Strengths:    This was my first FS bike, so not much to compare with. Have to say, this bike is very fast down hill, I leave my riding buddies behind. I have put this bike through some tough rides as well...rock gardens, logs, loose, hardpack, up steep hills and it performs well. No problems with either shock, but I have them serviced regularly. Stock Michelin XC tires are not very grippy on technical trails...going to change out this year and put on UST rims as well.

Weaknesses:    Not much, no problems with the quality. I do lose grip on the steeper hills, especially the rear, but I changed riding style and improved that a little.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the $$. I haven't bottomed out once, even on the rocks and small drops. If you want to go fast this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   All

Bike Setup:   XT front derailer, XT shadow rear derailer and XT cassette, XT rapid fire shifters, WTB laser V saddle

Submitted by Ned a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2008

Strengths:    Scary fast, atleast for me. Great suspention and light.

Weaknesses:    Tires suck. I have seen the ground a few time because of the tires. The front loves to wash out. I will be getting Kenda's soon.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is smooth and handles the the Hanna Park roots well. The bike is certainly faster than I can handle, but it sure is fun.

Favorite Trail:   Hanna/Santos

Purchased At:   Champion Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Crank Bros pedals and Race Face grips. The stock grips made my hands sleepy.

Submitted by 34witt a Cross Country Rider from Osan Korea

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    Very quick handling, light, great bike for the price

Weaknesses:    The front tire gets light on really steep climbs. Other than that nothing

Bottom Line:
This frame was designed to race. Dont buy it unless you race or like to ride extremly fast. It handles sloppy at slow speeds but when pushed it is great. The people that complain about the bottom bracket should not have got a race intended bike, go for the Trance.

Favorite Trail:   Ones with dirt

Purchased At:   Hahm's

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana Disk

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by DedeRoy a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, ON Canada

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    Fast anf Light.

Weaknesses:    Tires don't like wet/moist surface. Will feel like losing traction if going over pine cones.

Bottom Line:
I moved from Yukon to Anthem 2. Boy what a difference! It is fast and I have to get used to it now. I busted the front wheel with what I consider a mild crash. I hit a 5" tree with my handle bar, on the right. I pulled both brakes and ended going over top of the bike. When i got up, with minor injury, I found out my front wheel was badly bend, in an "S" form. I now have to buy a different wheel as the original one is no longer available. Is that normal?

Favorite Trail:   HydroCut

Purchased At:   Ziggys

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   Original

Submitted by mrk a Racer from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    This is a really good entry level XC race bike. I swapped out some components when I got the bike but even with the stock components you have a race ready bike from day one for a good price.

Weaknesses:    The suspension design is includes on very undersized bearings that do not provide durability. The bearings are also really hard to service and expensive to replace. If you ride this bike in adverse weather conditions expect your bearings to fail after 1500 miles. This is a major weakness and almost a design flaw in my mind. On my next bike I will look much more at the bearings and serviceability aspects. since slightly larger and better sealed bearings would prevent problems.

I also found that the stock handle bars were too wide for me and was not a fan of the riser bars. The bike rides much better with narrower flat bars plus this keeps more weight on the front wheel and helps climbing. The bike climbs very well.

Suspension travel is limited and the BB is low as others have pointed out but remember this is a XC race bike and not a trail bike so the design is more performance oriented rather then optimized for "BIG" hits.

Stock drive train components are low end but I swapped mine out after a bit.

Bottom Line:
This is a good XC bike. For wet and adverse weather conditions consider looking for a different bike with more durable bearings in the suspension system. I think the Anthem could be great bike for dry conditions but for the trails I ride the suspension system keeps me from recommending it to others.

Favorite Trail:   Bandit

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   All start bike

Similar Products Used:   Trek hard tail

Bike Setup:   My bike is setup with flat bars, SRAM X0/X9 upgrade for shifting, Stella Prolink road saddle, and some other changes.

Submitted by dunners a Cross Country Rider from Dunedin, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast, shares same frame as Anthem 0 and 1 therefore can upgrade with confidence

Weaknesses:    Michelin XC Dry2 tyres not suited to local wet trails
Initially the seat was uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
A fantastic full susser, excellent if changing from hardtail as I did. Can upgrade knowing you can only make the overall package better. A 'Giant' killer, literally this bike (in capable hands) will embarass your friends who spent two, three, four times as much as you. You'll be on your second coffee before the bunch have finished their ride.
Look at changing tyres to suit the conditions you ride in, have a few spares of varying styles to suit the day, race, event, etc.
Possibly upgrade the seat, the carbon has no flex, however after time in the saddle I am now used to this.
All up possibly the best full sus XC bike you can buy for the money...suits me to a tee, give it a try at your local bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   Swampy Summit loop