Giant Anthem 1 XC Full Suspension

• Spokes: DT Competition
  • Tires: Hutchinson Piranha, folding 26x2.0

Submitted by Lonnie a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight and nimble. Has such a smooth and responsive ride. Love the propedal an front lockout. All XT components make the drivetrain perfect. A great balance of frame rigidity and shock plushness.

Weaknesses:    Te wheels The WTB wheels are just not up to par. Had them out of round on very first 3ft jump. No issues sense but not toy liking as much as the rest of the bike.

Bottom Line:
Get it I you can. Love the bike and all the riding performance it provides.

Favorite Trail:   Leadville Loop

Purchased At:   Derby bike, Thornton

Bike Setup:   FSA carbon bars, post and stem. Otherwise stock.

Submitted by sammy

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Every thing!! suspension,brakes,gears,cranks,wheels etc!

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike wondering how good, how light etc. I came on here to help me and it sure did. This bike is superb for it's price! Every thing about it is great!!

Submitted by zackashari a Weekend Warrior from JB,Malaysia

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth climbing,best rear suspension reflex,agressive look,tough(i've throwned by wacky dwnhill on first time riding this bike)fast and light.

Weaknesses:    need to be careful when washing and some river crossing job.

Bottom Line:
feels great riding it

Favorite Trail:   Any lands

Purchased At:   angah leroy

Similar Products Used:   rubar xd x1

Bike Setup:   xt shadow RD,Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheelset,kenda blue groove 2.1 tire,venzo saddle,thomson elete 410mm seatpost,ybn chainset,raceface atlas xc chainrings,exilir 185mm rotors,xpedo hurtle paddle,sr suntour epicon rld 100mm travel fork.

Submitted by fuzzy_math a Cross Country Rider from Sunny So Cal

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    XT group, climbs better than my hardtail, acceleration, all around handling

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is fast and handles great. I'm 50 and can't believe how much confidence it has given me in all manner of trail situations. I don't bomb DH's, but this bike eats downhills with no problems. The bike climbs like nothing I've ever ridden. Better than I expected. The XT group is reliable and performs flawlessly. I did a 20 mile xt race and the bike was perfect. It's been 3 months and the shifting is still spot on. If you're considering this bike - Just buy it. You wont be disappointed!

Favorite Trail:   pine knot

Similar Products Used:   vintage '80's Fisher

Bike Setup:   RP2, Reba Team fork

Submitted by Todd H. a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Geometry is efficient for climbing, descending, tight-twisty. Quick reactions, very responsive. Suspension is great in the rear.

Weaknesses:    found the stock Hayes 9 brakes to be inadequate so upgraded to avid elixirs. 80mm fork wasn't enough so went to 100mm, tires were huchison parana's, 26 x 2.1 so upgraded to wtb weirwolf 2.35 in front and kenda nevegal 2.1 in back. replaced stem 50mm to 70mm and replaced the stock grips w/ODI ruffians.

Bottom Line:
very versatile bike. good xc, technical, but if you are looking to ride it hard replace the 80 mm fork asap. I ride mostely xc, but will throw in some rocky technical rides now and then and the anthem is very adaptable...versatility is a quality that I value. The stumpy fsr was not the most efficient when climbing...anthem is a big upgrade!

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms, National Trail AZ

Purchased At:   HTO Outlet

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpy fsr expert

Bike Setup:   see above

Submitted by Greg Calhoun a Racer from Deltona, FL

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, responsive, excellent suspension, good stock specs compared to all other brands. Good racer

Weaknesses:    80 mm fox up front is not quite enough, WTB wheels crapped out on the very first ride, bad shimano chain on day one, just snapped rear drop out this weekend. Dealer I purchased bike from sucks. Not for downhill agressive, but thats not what its designed for.

Bottom Line:
Test rode lots of bikes. Was very patient in the buying process. Several friends had Anthem 2 then a friend bought the Anthem frame and did a custom build. These bikes just rode better than any other bike I had ever ridden at any price. I love the bike. My friends custom build weighed in at 24 pds. I didnt know that was possible with full suspension. My rear wheel almost folded on day one. It will not stay true. Its trash. I did nothing other than ride it on single track and the wheel just ended up like that. Dealer said I wrecked it and refused to do anything for me other than true it. I'm going to ask WTB for help but I dont expect it. Nontheless, if you are in the market, you need to look at this bike. I would probably by it again, just not with these wheels and not from this crappy dealer in FWB, FL. Buy an extra derailleur hanger.

Favorite Trail:   Single track

Purchased At:   Crappy shop in FWB

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Gary Fisher Pro Caliber, Trek EX9, GT Zaskar, Bridgestone MB1, Univega

Bike Setup:   Metalic blue with white color scheme (a little too pretty), WTB wheels, race face seat post and stem and bar, upgraded XT with XTR shifters and derailleurs (bad move) I already busted carbon cage on XTR, XT brakes

Submitted by rd1034 a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    speed, weight, solid frame, climbs like a mountain goat

Weaknesses:    stock Fox F80 was a little short for me, upgraded to Rock Shox Revelations

Bottom Line:
After much research I finally pulled the trigger, and there was no buyers remorse. It's a solid bike, easy to make race-ready and for a fraction of the price as the other two "big companies". I can't wait to take it out to my first race.

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   mavic 717 rims, bontrager carbon bars, thomson stem and seatpost, Rock Shox Revelation 130mmm fork.

Submitted by Pointbreak a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is light, durable, versatile, and an excellent value for the money. As so many have mentioned, it climbs very well.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
Rode my Anthem 1 on a 700 mile trip overseas; 300 miles of this were on rough 4wd roads at altitudes between 4000 and 5200m. Climbed 12000m during the trip. The bike worked very well- had no problems other than slow pressure loss in the rear shock probably caused by the cold weather. To prepare, I put in 1200 miles of training on 30% single track, 30% fire roads, 40% asphalt, with countless hammering downhills. In total, put the Anthem through 2000 miles in 6 months. This bike has proven itself extremely durable and versatile, an excellent XC ride. Can average >15mph on 30 miles of asphalt with rolling hills, while also handling steep single track and fire roads with equal ease.

Favorite Trail:   Calavera Hills

Purchased At:   Wheel World in LA

Similar Products Used:   Rode a rigid frame MTB retrofitted with front shocks for 10 years. Not going back.

Bike Setup:   2007 model with Shimano XT cranks, ESI Chunky grips, and SRAM PG990 cassette.

Submitted by Kevinchsky a Cross Country Rider from Surrey. UK

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Frame design, it's light, High spec stock shocks and drivechain.

Weaknesses:    WTB silverado saddle did not suit me. Changed for a specialized phenom. Flat bars heavy on the hands for any trail work so consider an XC low riser bar.

Bottom Line:
For over 6 months i test road bikes, the Anthem felt right for me as soon as i sat on it. After i tested some others and it confirmed it was just what i wanted.
My spec was a hardtail but full sus! BINGO!! Before i bought it scanned the internet forums and could not find any bad words about it. Love the bike, getting used to the sharp head angle, now i am really starting to enjoy the bike. I mainly done XC but now trail ride as well with confidence. Closest i found to this for the money was a specialized epic. This is a great bike and dont worry about the travel. I ride with peeps who tell me how when we go for a ride they have used 110mm of there 120mm front sus, when mine dose not bottom out. So this bike is tight and light. Cant think of what i would want to upgrade next so i am real happy. Would have dropped a chilli on value if i bought it at full retail. This is a great bike!!!
Will re-list view in another 6 months to let you know of ant pitfalls, hints or tips.
Would i buy again YES!! but would not pay full retail.

Favorite Trail:   Barry Knows Best, Holbury Hill

Purchased At:   ex demo from bike sh

Similar Products Used:   Came from a heavly upgraded GT aggressor 3 hard tail (2001), but have tried most bikes in this field.

Bike Setup:   Stock; Fox 32 RL 80, Fox rp2, xtr derailleur all other drive is xt. WTB laserlight wheels + specialized phenom saddle and race face XC risers 1.5".

Submitted by willywillred a Cross Country Rider from Fort Atkinson, WI USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    Exceptional Climbing, Very Agile, Very Light

Weaknesses:    Stock tires, XT rear isn't rapid rise

Bottom Line:
Giant might get looked at poorly because of how big they are, but they got it right with the Anthem. This bike is VERY fast and is excellent at climbing. The stock set-up is race-ready and for long rides the maestro really takes the edge off.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Carlin Kettle Moraine

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Trek EX9

Bike Setup:   Stock except-seat, tires, bars

Submitted by fitfix2 a Racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    THis is one fast ride. I have had hardtails all my riding/racing days and had allot of hesitation about changing. Glad I waited. This is the one to buy.

Weaknesses:    Seat is relly bad, but I tend to get $150 seat not $20.

Bottom Line:
It's a buy.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Submitted by Fakepunk a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs like a dream! Suspension nice and stiff, yet plush enough over the rough bits. Very responsive. Very light bike.

Weaknesses:    Raceface riser bar feels like you're supposed to deliver the paper on the bike, it's too wide to my liking. Realistically only space for one bottle cage. Other than that, no weakness.

Bottom Line:
This is an EXCELLENT bike! I wasn't convinced about the Anthem 1 until I rode it in a race. I love this bike. Its a quick bike. The tight steering takes some getting used to, but once dialed in, you won't look back. It
s an excellent racer!

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element 50

Bike Setup:   Swopped the RaceFace bar and stem for Ritchie WCS flat bar and WCS stem. Maxxis Crossmark Tubeless tyres. Crank Bros. Smarty pedals.

Submitted by Stanford MTB a Weekend Warrior from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Quick handling, FAST, efficient.

Weaknesses:    None other than I'm scared to leave it on the top of my car!

Bottom Line:
This is the best handling mountain bike I've ridden. It climbs well, downhills well, does everything GREAT. Giant may not have the cache that a lot of the boutique brands have around Silicon Valley, but I would pit this bike against any cross country bike being made today, and indeed I have blown by many, many Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, etc on this thing. This bike at $2500 retail (I got it for $2000) has to be the best deal on the planet for a full on XC racing bike.

Favorite Trail:   Arastradero

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone, Specialized, Santa Cruz, etc

Bike Setup:   Full XT Group. FENDERS!

Submitted by Atown117 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    It's strengths would be it just gets up and goes! Every bit of effort put into pedaling seems to translate into forward momentum which it should. Also it climbs like a goat no pun intented.

Weaknesses:    I would have to say for some people the weakness would be the steep head angle which makes it turn on a dime and some people might find this to aggresive for there liking. However I like it just find and don't find it twitchy on the downhill at all.

Bottom Line:
Get one if you are going to race or you just like beating all your buddies on your favorite trail for bragging rights. Not for people who want an all mountain do it all bike. It is an XC Race bike nothing more and nothing less. That being said go get one before it's to late!

Price Paid:    $2099.00