Giant Anthem 0 XC Full Suspension

• Chain Shimano HG 53
  • Cranks RaceFace Deus XC

Submitted by Aleks a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    Great geometry, super lightweight, awesome aesthetics, Fox Shox are absolutely amazing, very fast and nimble, etc.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet. Perfect for cross country, trails, and super fun at skateparks as well! High end components are flawless and perform wonderfully. Best bike I have ever owned. Shocks eat up anything in their path. A fantastic bike I have had the pleasure of owning, even if for less than a year.

Favorite Trail:   IC King

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Haro F-3

Bike Setup:   Stock + RaceFace crank, stem, bars, seatpost

Submitted by Rafiki8 a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    Great spec for the money.

Weaknesses:    Slightly too agressive geometry for inexperienced riders on very technical downhills.

Bottom Line:
This is a great cross country bike but I found that my lack of skill meant that I was not always comfortable on very technical downhill sections. I always felt a little too much over the front bars.

Bike came with a flat bar so I shortened the stem by 10mm and put on a low riser bar. This helped.

Bike is very fast, stable, corners well. I saw loads of people riding it at races and they tackled technical sections that I was too nervous to tackle so the bike is capable.

Suggest you buy it if you want to ride average cross country trails comfortably, very good for marathons.

I now own the Anthem X0. No more feeling of being pitched too far forward.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Cootha

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign. Anthem X0.

Bike Setup:   X0 and similar standard - 2007 Australian model.

Submitted by SOC a Weekend Warrior from Canberra

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic ride and excellent components

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Being a new rider I was unsure if the Anthem 0 was too much but after riding the bike for a solid 6 months. I can say it was the best decision I've made. Eventhough the inital purchase was a little expensive for a newbie, its better buying something you like than something you'll regret later on.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo

Purchased At:   ONYA BIKE BELCONNEN

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   -

Submitted by yaya a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, comfy ride, feels tightly put together.

Weaknesses:    None as yet

Bottom Line:
Bought a 2007 frame on eBay with RP23 and built it up with some old and new components so had fun in the process. Coming from a fast hardtail this feels just as fast but it tracks much better and is more comfy. The most amazing for me is how it all feels like one piece!

Purchased At:   Mostly eBay

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown Pro, tried the Specialised Epic and Santa C. Superlight

Bike Setup:   Reba Race 100mm, XC717 with Hope Pro-II, XTR rear mech, XT front mech and cranks, RaceFace carbon bars and seatpost, Elixir R brakes.

Submitted by Jvan_wert a Weekend Warrior from Guam

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    So far everything.

Weaknesses:    Only one. Suposed to be tubeless right? Then why are there tubes in the tires. No my LBS did not do this it came from Giant this way.

Bottom Line:
This is my first FS rig so nothing really to comapare it to. It's supposed to be AU spec but I noticed that AU spec bikes came with a 100mm fork and WTB saddle, lucky me. I’m not sure how much the 140mm fork slows the steering but the bike seems stable and goes where I point it. I haven't quite the suspension dialed in but I'm having fun along the way. Having tubes in the tires made it hard to get a good feel for the tires, but I pulled the tubes went the gas station used the compressor seated my tires. The difference is night and day, but now I have to find the right tire pressure for me. This is my new play bike I plan to use for recreational racing and general fun. I love this bike I've ridden every day that I've had it so far. Bottom line: I feel faster and since it is an FS I don't feel so beat up after the ride. I can take a sketchy line and hold it. This bike is nimble and I feel like the possibilities are endless when I'm jammin pedals. If you are looking for an XC rig that allows you to go fast and fell good about the not so good line you just took try the Anthem 0. Oh and hey Giant thanks for the spare tubes!

Purchased At:   Hornet Sports

Similar Products Used:   This is my first FS

Bike Setup:   08' Anthem 0 AU spec. Fox Float RLC kork/RP32 shock. Sram X9 shifters/X0 rear derailer,Shimano XT front derailer/cassette/chain, Avid Juicy 7 Disc brakes, Race Face DuesXC crank/seat post/stem, Mavic Crossmax whells, Michelin XCR Dry2, Selli Italia Gel Flow Kevlar XC. Added by me Crank Brothers Mallet C's and the water bottle holder from my first mt bike(for luck)

Submitted by dnation a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    Its super responsible, extremely fast, lightweight and yet very confortable.

Weaknesses:    Its comes with X0 rears but only XT fronts. (one component off the best)

Bottom Line:
NRS3 - Nice fast entry level dual suspension bike.
NRS Air - Faster with better components & Carbon frame.
Trance - Fast but with confortable upright bike.

Giant Anthem --> Cheating. This bike is insane. I've been in many races with the NRS but this Anthem takes racing onto a whole new level. Its faster without even trying and mountains are merely mole hills now. I use to have trouble keeping up with my "fitter" fellow MTB'er with their Epic S-Works and super lightweight Scott XC racers but with the Anthem I can go that extra 30% distance at a faster pace and nearly keep up. This bike rocks and will give riders much more edge on race day!!!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountains

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   An Aussie Bike Forum

Similar Products Used:   05 Giant NRS3, 05 Giant NRS Air and Giant Trance2

Bike Setup:   CrossMax SL wheels, XO rears, Raceface Next Carbon seatpost and bars, juicy 7, Fox F100RL, Manitou SPV SR rear shock, X0 shifters

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Rangiora, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, agile, fast

Weaknesses:    No excuses now!

Bottom Line:
I owned the Trance for a year and a half, and found the predictable handling great for long rides to build skill and fitness. The extra travel saved me a few times with my limited abilities! After a while though, I felt I was ready for something quicker. I bought the Anthem because I was wanting a lighter bike for climbing and occasional racing and it is amazingly quick! I knew the bike would be faster but was also surprised with the plush ride. I highly recommend an Anthem to anyone wanting a light and responsive full suspension XC bike.

Similar Products Used:   2007 Giant Trance 1

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Anthem 1 (same as current Zero) Crossmax SL, Fox FL100, Manitou SPV, SRAM X0 shifters and rear mech.

Submitted by UC rider a Cross Country Rider from fremont, ca

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    great climber, superfast and responsive

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
had this bike for almost a year now and the honeymoon is not yet over!what can i say, i just love this bike! this is my bike when i ride with my buddies with. just a great all around bike. climbs fast, super-responsive. if you're looking for a race bike, try this bike and you won't be disappointed...

Favorite Trail:   anywhere i can go fast

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   all xtr, fox shocks/fork, crossmax sl

Submitted by Justin a Racer from Boise, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Fantastic handling and great suspension.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding and racing mountain bikes for 20 years and owned a lot of bikes...this is the best bike I have ever ridden! This is a true XC rig that flat out rails when you push it!

Who should by it? Anyone looking for true cross country mountain bike not one of the free ride bikes that some companies are marketing as cross country bikes.

Favorite Trail:   #1

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Nearly every FS XC rig out there.

Bike Setup:   Custom

Submitted by utah steve a Racer from park city, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth ride, handles well the ability to lock the suspension makes those out of the seat climbs easy.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires really suck. Took a few rides to get the rear shock dialed in. The mavic hubs still require way too much service.

Bottom Line:
I debated between this and the rocky mountain team. Not being overly impressed with the Shimano brake system I went with the Anthem 0. I used this all last season for my XC race bike as well as two trips to Moab. This bike did not disappoint. It climbs with ease and handles the downhill great. My only complaint is that Mavic still seems to have a few issues with their hubs which required service 3 times last year. Good thing Mavic has such great customer service.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine

Purchased At:   Cole Sport

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Rocky Mountain ElementTeam

Bike Setup:   Full stock setup with Time ATAC pedals.

Submitted by Emil a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    Amazing rear suspension! Feels locked out, when in pro-pedal. An XL frame actually fits like an XL frame. Stock component spec is very impressive for a $4000 DS bike. Climbs like a hard tale, and Descends like an all mountain. Talk about bang for your buck.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find any...not really a weakness more of a preference, but I hate carbon so I switched out all the carbon parts, seat post, handlebar, you get the idea, for high end Alu parts.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for the best bike for the best price, go with giant!

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   craigslist.com

Similar Products Used:   First DS owned. I have tested many others, such as: Yeti's, trek's, specialized, etc... Giant is the best so far.

Bike Setup:   2007 Giant anthem 0 frame with 07 XTR Shadow rear dérailleur, 07 XTR Hydro brakes, 07 XTR rapid fire shifters, 07 XTR crank, Mavic 819/Chris King wheels, Thomson seat post and X4 stem, WTB seat, Easton EA70 low rise monkey bar, 07 fox F100 RLC, etc...

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Newbury Park, CA , USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Tracks how a cross country bike should. Light, Fast, Agile.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires not well suited for local terrain.

Bottom Line:
A cross country bike that does everything you ask of it. Super responsive, super fast. Climbing is phenominal. Very impressive descending as well. Handles both large and small bumps without hesitation. A rear suspension system that truly does work, and does not rely on special shocks to function properly. I got to try just about every bike from most companies on loan in the industry. Runs circles around Specialized Epic. Trek still seems to be trying to figure out how to make a mountain bike. The Cannondale Rush Carbon and the Titus Racer X both deserve honorable mention as other great performers. But factor in price... There isn't a better pure cross country bike out there for the money. And if you have the extra cash, try the Anthem Advanced, you won't be let down. (No, I don't work for Giant)

Similar Products Used:   Just about every major brand tried... work in the industry.

Bike Setup:   SRAM X0, Avid Juicy 7, Race Face Crank, bar, stem, post. Upgraded to Crossmax SLR wheels(Black compliments light color frame nicely)

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light,comfortable & Quick

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
A great bike, climbs extremely well & desends even better. Excellent through bumpy tracks such as forestry single track, soaks up tree roots perfectly. Just as quick as a hardtail on the hills or level ground. Fox Rp23 is great, propedal & maestro system work extremely well together. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to go full suspension

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails:XTC 1, GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Standard except changed Raceface Next flat bar for Next low rise.

Submitted by d mac a Racer from bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    Light, fast, great suspension platform, look/finish

Weaknesses:    No higher lever component kick options

Bottom Line:
I was not sure what I would think of this bike considering it's steep head tube angle and suspension I had never ridden.
Verdict is that I love it. I hope more people consider this bike when choosing. It is fairly light out of the box (24lbs) , but the thing I am most impressed with is the way the suspension rides. I hate bike that aren't efficient and I have no problems with this one. with pro pedal it climbs great and it can sprint. This is great combined with the fact that it feels plush when soaking up bumbs. For this reason I like it much better than my Yeti Asr-sl from last year. I have also not had any problems with its head tube angle. I like the way it handles, even on fast decents.
I recommend everyone try this bike, it offers a good amount of travel over some other race bikes, but not as much as 4 inches which may be slight excessive for racing. Don't overlook Giant because of its name, I have had some great bikes but this is favorite so far.

Purchased At:   knicker biker

Similar Products Used:   Owned: specialized enduro, Ellsworth moment, Santa cruz blur, Yeti Asr-sl.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to: m970 XTR cranks, Avid Ultimates (140/160 mm), XTR front der., m970 xtr cassette, Sid World Cup fork. Italia Slr XC saddle. Race on Stans ZTR wheels. 23.1 lbs / 22.0 lbs with stans wheels.

Submitted by Shawn Luiz a Racer from Guam

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    Climbing

Weaknesses:    Technical down hills

Bottom Line:
I bought the Alum team issue frame to replace my NRS 1. This bike climbs like a billy goat on EPO. With the Reba and the Fox RP 23 in the lock out mode coupled with the rear supension design makes for a perfect climber. No bobbing or "monkey Motion".
On the down side though, on steeper climbs you have to pay really close attention and stay low over the handle bars to keep the front end down. This bike is also very quick in the handling department. When going down tech hills you can easily over steer. But once you have a few rides to figure this out you have no problem and the bike performs Great. This is a great racing frame/Bike. A great price for a light and responsive Frame.

Favorite Trail:   Pacific Palasades Hawaii