Giant 2001 Warp DS 3 XC Full Suspension

4.55/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by Frederick Alvarez a Weekend Warrior from Walton, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    riding this for 10 years with minor self maintenance.
great suspension, durability and precision.takes the bumps smoothly after you adjust the stock suntour fork and rear spring suspension. I didn't have to change my name to "Bob".

Weaknesses:    I sincerely can't think of any, haven't had any probs
it's taken a lot of abuse and still keeps kicking. I have had more trouble with the front avid mech. brake than with the warp ds 3.

Bottom Line:
I am partial to Giant or would have never bought this bicycle.
I am EXTREMELY happy with this and will get a Giant 29er sometime in the near future.
I've ridden it like a maniac almost every day of the season for 10 years and this heap has never let me down! You just cant go wrong with a Giant! I know of racers taking this warp frame and using it in the downhill.

Favorite Trail:   Catskill mountain region

Purchased At:   Grand bicycle shop m

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden products from most of the other major commercial companies across the board in this price range and in my opinion, nothing touches it.

Bike Setup:   Avid mechanical front disc brakes.
huchinson alligator tires.
Easton ea50 xc straight handlebar with cane creek ergo bar ends

Submitted by Miles Webster a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    Swallows bumps, good cranks and accesories. When I switched the forks it took just about everything.

Weaknesses:    Forks. I traded them after a while, but they still had enough time for me to despise them. Evil little sticks of metal they are

Bottom Line:
This bike was good when i started (I was about 12). But now i'm older and doing hatrder stuff so this bike isn't quite as good as it used to be. The frame packed it in after almost 3 years of faithful service. Good for a bit of technical, jumping, etc but not as strong as i would of liked

Favorite Trail:   Anything Tricky, Technical

Purchased At:   Onya Bike Warehouse

Bike Setup:   Switched crappy suntours for RST 381 xe's (this voided the warranty so when the frame broke i was screwed).

Submitted by Mark Shiels a Cross Country Rider from Kamloops

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Strengths:    good rear shock, nice fit and finish, good ergonomics, great tires, and overall is a fun bike to ride, perfect for the beginner biker.

Weaknesses:    sr suntour is only good for small drops, sucks in the cold weather department, frame cracked at the shock mount on the main frame, no biggie though, Giant has great warranty and they stand by there product.

Bottom Line:
great entry level bike. you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Fast

Purchased At:   gears n grills

Similar Products Used:   nothing comparable, trading it for an AC frame, should be a bit better for a heavy rider like me.(6'4",220)

Bike Setup:   yeti clamp on grips, mosh platform pedals, avid mechanical disc 8" rotor, body geometry saddle, rino lite rim on front, but all that is going on the new AC frame, gonna upgrade the fork, not sure what yet.

Submitted by mark shiels a Cross Country Rider from kamloops, B.C.

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    strong frame, 20.5 is great for 6 feet and up, even for smaller riders is fine cause of the low standover height, good tires,rear shock is great, good adjustability, 4 or 5 inch setting with rebound adjustment.

Weaknesses:    front fork is easy to bottom out for a heavier rider and it has no rebound adjustment,small pedals,crappy seat.

Bottom Line:
great entry level full suspension bike, with a few bucks spent in the right places can be a great bike for the average rider.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   gears n grills Cambridge, Ont

Similar Products Used:   nothing comparable, just an old BRC bought in 1990.

Bike Setup:   changed out the seat for a body geometry sadle, it's comfy as a cloud, mosh platform pedals, avid 8 inch mechanical disc on front, yeti clamp on grips. soon to have a new front fork, something with rebound adjustment. might go with avid disc on the rear.

Submitted by nick musser a Weekend Warrior from bath

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    great frame, good components, goes over rough terrain like flat grass, no other bike comes close for the price, the suspension kicks arse, you can land some good air and feel like you went over a speed bump

Weaknesses:    front shock, not too too bad unless your goin off big jumps

Bottom Line:
This is an awsome bike for the price i paid. All the compnents are good and it handles great on everything I've put it through so far. If you are goin for SERIOUS riding, like competing in comps. or racing, i would sugest a little higher model like the NRS,AC air or maybe the VT, but thes are more expensive. But, it all depends what you want. For some one like me who goes out maybe 2-3 times a week, this bike is awsome for the job. I wouldnt reccomend anything else for the beginner rider.

Favorite Trail:   jacobsburg park

Purchased At:   curts cyclery

Similar Products Used:   gt agressor 1.0 tried, raleigh M80

Bike Setup:   stock, havent had any major poblems yet and dont expect to

Submitted by Piers a Downhiller from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    Everything!...
-The frame is super-strong, looks good, and actually pretty light
-The tires are 2.4 inches of rubbery traction!
-The GTM 7 rear shock...it's worked fine and soaked up everything so far
-It is amazing quality for its price
-Generally everything on it...except for those stupid damn SR/Suntour shocks

Weaknesses:    Those stupid rigid poles of metal otherwise know as SR/Suntour shocks...

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best buy for AUD $900, and after two years of riding nothing has broken on me yet except for 1 bolt near the rear shock. But that was to be expected after all the stuff this bike has been through, and it only cost me AUD $2 to replace! Despite its lack of long travel, this bike can do drops of up to 8ft without suffering any damage - the perfect bike for a beginner freerider or downhiller!

Favorite Trail:   Good ole Blackwood High School!...and also Gloucester Track

Purchased At:   Super Elliot's

Similar Products Used:   ummmm....does an old Giant Boulder 520 count? Oh yeah... an Apollo LDH 2.3 - they've got nothing on a Warp!

Bike Setup:   Stock...except for new Mosh pedals

Submitted by Brian Ouch a Downhiller from Jefferson CIty, MO

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    It is just a fun bike that will ride over or off of anything. Extremely stable ride. The bike actually seems to correct for mistakes.

Weaknesses:    The components are ALL dog $hit. Specifically that de-railers, fork, spokes, and brakes were crap. I got a great price so I picked it up but I have been upgrading parts since I got it. It is also on the heavy side, which can make tight turns tricky.

Bottom Line:
Over all just a fun bike! Other than the Sram cassette I cannot seem to break it. If you have the money though I would recommend going for the DS 1 or DS 2 so you will not have to spend so much time up grading parts.

Favorite Trail:   Any thing with down hills

Purchased At:   Cycle Extream

Similar Products Used:   FIrst DH bike

Submitted by Pete Tilley a Weekend Warrior from Canton, MA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Strengths:    DH tires, fork (upgraded), the bike itself

Weaknesses:    the old suntour fork, old rims, v-brakes, the rear shock doesn't work well for the abussive rider, pedals, and crank.

Bottom Line:
Greatest bike I have ever owned. Started to upgrade the components like the fork to a Z.1 Wedge and better rims to put discs on it. I don't want to part with my bike, thats why i upgraded the thing. It is even better with the new components! I feel even better with the new components. I'm gonna start to DH and freeride more with this. Probably make more upgrades when things start to break. Even though they don't make this model anymore, get one of the Giant AC's if you seriously like to DH or freeride. The new components make the bike lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Coon Hollow

Purchased At:   Norwood Bicycle Depot

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Haro Extreme X.0, 2002 Giant AC Air

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z.1 Wedge, Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims, Shimano Deore Disc hubs, XT rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, Avid Mechanical Disc brakes - 8 in. front, 6 in rear. Hope to upgrade the rear shock to something good, the crank to a raceface, and the tires to 2.5 Panarace Megablasters cause the stock tires started to wear down. Also upgrade the handlebar and grips latta because i was stupid to put bar ends on a riser.

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Hoquiam Washington

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent bike in every aspect, for the price paid. Looks great, rides great, my buddies wish they had one!

Weaknesses:    A typical boney mountian bike seat, I'm 39 and am just about to the point where 2 inches of gel seat padding sounds squishy goooood.

Bottom Line:
Look at the competion then buy a Warp, you will not find any bike thats close in price for looks, features and quality.

Favorite Trail:   lake Silvia

Purchased At:   LaVougues Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   10 year old Fuji Thrill, good bike at the time, now equivalent to a 486 dx2 processor.

Bike Setup:   Stock, will add Bike planet Protege' 9.0 cyc comp and
Photon digital dual lamp

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Evanston, Wy, USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Every strong frame, Rear shock very good, Pedals don't bend everyone other thing expect rims and handlebars

Weaknesses:    Rims not strong enough and Handlebars tooo heavy

Bottom Line:
Really really nice bike, it is my baby, it takes me to places and brings me back. If you replace the handlebars with some Easton EA 50's it is even better then if you replace the Rims will some Mavic X221 rims you can do anything. It is a all terrain bike I have done some really crazy things on it and nothing is wrong with it. I LOVE IT. I bought it in Jan. and I have about 400 miles on it most of them in the snow. I have a 2.4 inch tire on the front and a bigger then average 2.1 tire on the rear for better climbing.

Favorite Trail:   E HILL

Purchased At:   Bingham Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Mesa and Wal mart fall apart

Bike Setup:   Everything stock expect Rims, Handle bars, rat cages, front T.H.E fender and Toiga Factory DH 2.1 inch tire on the rear(very very nice)

Submitted by Pete T a Weekend Warrior from Canton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2002

Strengths:    Huge tires - 2.4! Sturdy frame. Good rear suspension. Not too great, but once you upgrade a lot of the bike, it will work better.

Weaknesses:    Front fork, small rims, somewhat heavy, not good drivetrain

Bottom Line:
With the riding I do, I abuse my bike, and currently, I have broke my derailleur hanger twice, and I had to carry my bike back out of the woods. The real problem is the rims because they don't fit the 2.4 tires, which slip off easily. This is really my first bike that I own. It has been great with the riding I have done - North Shore, DHing, and basically Freeriding. There are better bikes out there than this, but for the value, it is a good full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Coon Hollow Path

Purchased At:   Norwood Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Haro Extreme X.0

Bike Setup:   Upgraded rear derailleur to XT, 8 in. Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes, Fox Vanilla R coil rear suspension, bar ends

Submitted by Clatyon from Lynchburg, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Strengths:    Good Warranty Plan

Weaknesses:    Frame

Bottom Line:
Look here people, I liked this bike when I wrote my previous review as you can read below. But now, a few months later, I still like it but Something bad has happened. My rear triangle cracked clean open not long ago. It was replaced (the part) for free, but labor isn't covered. When this happened the bike dropped enough to bend my front derailer (which was independently connected) into my crank. The derailer was toast. So I rode quite a bit more cautiously--namely, I stopped wheelie dropping whenever possible and rode rather carefully-- Hey I should be happy, at least it was under warranty. But now I take my bike into the shop on Jan 24,2002 and there is a fracture in the middle tube in the front part of the frame where it connects to the downtube. So it will cost me again for just the labor. The upside is that Giant sent a whole frame (rear triangle and front frame) to my bikeshop because of last time, so at least they have the frame on hand. So, this bike is costing me more than anticipated. However, the crack may have been there earlier, when the triangle was replaced. Anyway, this doesn't happen to the average rider from what I hear at my bikeshop. But at least giant was good about it. Hey, now I will have a whole completelyh new bike from when I started. I still love my bike and hope to be riding it by next week. I still reccomend this bike to anyone.

Purchased At:   Bikes Unlimited

Bike Setup:   XT Front derailer, deore lx rear, off brand replacement rear cassete, truvative 4d front crank, gorilla brake arch (rear), noleen nr-4 with k2 smartshock fork, stock rear shock, cat eye cyclocomputer, crow bar stem, ahead headset, profile jumbo bar ends, shimano clipless, gator skin, and quick release chain, panaracer steel beed tires (stock wtb tires are excellent).

Submitted by Trent a Downhiller from Grand Junction Colorado US

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    The rear shock is O.K. I like how it has the rebound control. The nice fat 2.4 motorapter tires.

Weaknesses:    The frame is crap. I cracked the rear shock mount in about 1 month. The fork sux it only works when it is warm. But not at all when cold. But it is a suntur what do yuo expect.
The crank could be a little better. I had to get a new one because the old one wore out.

Bottom Line:
This bike is alright if your not going to ride it hard, but if your going to ride like a man get a mans bike. Geting replacement parts is easy. When I cracked my frane I got my new one within a week. Giants slogan,"bilt to be ridden'" dose not fit this bike. I rode it and it fell apart. beginner down hiller don't by this bike It's not for you. It would be an aright XC bike thou.

Purchased At:   The Board and Buckle

Bike Setup:   stock ecept the decor hollow crank set. an better pettals.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from West Hartford< CT

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Strengths:    Strong Frame - great starting point for an excellent all-around bike. Incredible Value

Weaknesses:    Some low end stock components but ok.

Bottom Line:
I finally have 75 or so miles on this thing and it is awsome. I took my old components off my hard tail and this thing is now down to 28.5 lbs. It is rock solid, climbs great, decends even better and I had a great time building it. I posted earlier (in the 2002 model by mistake)as I was so jazzed after my first couple rides. I've had it out now 5 times and it is better each ride. I had some issues with the Manitou six fork I first uprgraded with and Answer came through for me (with an upgrade charge) but treated me as fairly as any big manufacturer can. Anyway, great bike for the money..awsome with some upgrades.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop - Manchester, CT