Gary Fisher Sugar Race XC Full Suspension

4.08/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Adroit Rider a Racer from Ypsi, MI

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, climbs like a hard tail

Weaknesses:    Colors, single pivot

Bottom Line:
Great bike. This was my first full suspension bike and it made me faster. I was going to get it painted after three years and freshen up the look but ran into a great deal on a Titus Racer X Carbon.

The Sugar Race is an great choice to build a light weight, fast racer. If you find one, get it powder coated and no one will know you beat them on a Sugar!

Favorite Trail:   Ones I can reach from my house

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Reba Team, Swinger 3 Way, Juicy 7, Race X Lites, Race Face Deuce, Enduro ceramic bearings, XO, X9, Thomson, Chris King, XTR cables, Crossmark Exceptions

Submitted by Phil B a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Superlight, 21 pounds whoa. Full XTR, Sid World cup forks, Easton carbon bits.

Weaknesses:    none yet. will report back in a few months

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike. My first foray into full suss territory, I am loving it.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   I have tested specialized epic, cannondale rush etc. All way too expensive

Submitted by paul a Cross Country Rider from greater king county, wa

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    very good climbing bike with dual lockout (F&R).
XTR components.

Weaknesses:    could use more help with rear suspension travel.

Bottom Line:
very satisfied

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS TP.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar Team Issue.

Submitted by steve s a Racer from saco ME

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Strengths:    great componants

Weaknesses:    weight, heavy wheels, for some reason the rear shock doesnt rebound very fast and I have the rebound at the fastest setting, because of the single pivot design there is a lot of pedal and brake jacking, bar stem and post are all heavy and the brakes are not very impressive

Bottom Line:
Not too impressed overall but the componants are not too shabby, I think I will switch the parts too a giant nrs frame because of the slow rebound and pedal/brake jacking.

Purchased At:   gorham bike and ski

Similar Products Used:   many hardtails and a k2 razorback

Bike Setup:   stock but replaced the brakes with hayes hfx9 carbons and the shifters are xt pods.

Submitted by Erez Golan a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2005

Strengths:    Wow! Climbs better than my Ziggurat frame (in lock mode) and much easier in switchbacks. Very light and responsive.

Weaknesses:    Not as much rear travel as I expected but enough to take the edge off the bumps. Came with an old Manitou Q-rl rear shock which I will be replacing soon (!) with a new cloud nine.

Bottom Line:
I am a long time fan of fisherbikes riding their hardtail genesis geometry for the last 6 years. After two years on my heavely upgraded Ziggurat I decided to give my "aging" back a break and try full suspension. The Sugar Race does not fail! It feels almost the same in term of geometry and with few high-end components I was able to keep it almost at the same weight as my hardtail.
Even without locking the rear shock it climbs like a mountain goat and when locking the front rlt80 it flies uphill. The real difference is switchbacks - it handles so responsive I do not need to unclip and just let it roll through the sharp turnes. With my 156lb this frame seems strong enough to handle most of what the local Bay Area XC trails can offer. I will update if not...

Favorite Trail:   Dog Lake

Purchased At:   1199 for the frame

Similar Products Used:   Aquila and Ziggurat hardtails, Blur

Bike Setup:   New LX crankset, XTR rear and shifters, XT front, Hayes MAG plus, Fox RLT80, King headset, mavic 717 disc rims with fire xc pro 1.8 tires.

Submitted by Hugh a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Great fit.

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked. Again.

Bottom Line:
After cracking my second Gary Fisher frame, it's time to move on to another manufacturer.

Submitted by dave scherp a Racer from easthampton ct

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    climbing, downhill, weight, handling

Weaknesses:    chain suck but i think its my problem

Bottom Line:
this bike is great even if u dont have the extra money into parts. the frame handles like a dream, and soaks up all the bumps with out the bobbing during sprints. iv been racing jr x for 2 years now and this bike is a sweet ride, but its too bad they dont make it anymore wtf fisher?

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   scottscycles

Similar Products Used:   fisher hardtails epic cannondale scalpel team fuel 100

Bike Setup:   magura marta sl, xtr crank/bb,x.0 gripshift, x.0 rear, sid worldcup,american classic hubs with notubs rims, 1400grams total with disk, bike weighs 22pounds

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Strengths:    Fast - very fast - Great climbing and handled well in the tight stuff.

Weaknesses:    It was a warranty replacement for my Joshua so I can't really complain. But even with the warranty, it still cost me $450.00. :( Now I've gone and broken the Sugar Frame. It's been seven weeks since I took it into the dealer. No word on if they will warranty this frame or not.

Bottom Line:
It was a fast bike! As a warranty replacement, even for $450, it was a great deal. I just hope they replace the busted Sugar with the Cake.
Also, the warranty process takes way too long. The first time it took 10 weeks!!! With the Sugar, it's been 7 weeks so far and no word from fisher.

I have to give the bike a low rating because after just over two years, I broke the frame. I'm not really a hard core rider, but I do ride often and over some technical stuff. And at 190 lbs. it seems too much for the standard fisher design. I need something a little beefier with longer travel and better durability.

Purchased At:   warranty

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2004

Strengths:    CLIMBING!! Light weight, smooth ride up and down

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
Cracked the swing arm of my sugar 3, warranty gave me the Race frame, what a trade! Climbs much better. Initially had a lot of chain suck problems, but I switched out the Bontrager cranks to Shimano XT and problem solved. Not riding disc although the frame is set up for them. Can't justify the price yet, and stopping is never a problem.

Purchased At:   Cuuting Edge Sports (Warranty)

Similar Products Used:   2001 Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT cranks, Marzocchi Bomber Z3 front, Manitou QL rear

Submitted by Patrick Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Morgan Hill,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs like a goat. So smooth uphill even without SPV. Easy to keep a rhythmn uphill and make very technical sections.

Weaknesses:    Not as stable downhill.I used to have a superlight which was so good downhill but climbed not nearly as well.

Bottom Line:
If you live for the climb this is your bike. Out of the saddle efforts on steep technical uphills are confidence inspiring. This bike is so fast and light I really love it for its sheer speed. The fact it was a warranty replacement made the price right. I also really like the AD-5 shock. It is so easy to work on. 15 minutes for a complete teardown. Replace the O-Rings adjust the rebound and compression and off you go.

Favorite Trail:   Not Telling

Purchased At:   Warranty

Similar Products Used:   2002 Santa Cruz Superlight and 2000 Sugar 3.

Bike Setup:   2003 Sugar Race with V-brakes and a Cane creek AD-5 rear shock. I stop just fine with one finger.

Submitted by Tami a Cross Country Rider from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Very stable with the genesis geometry even for a girl... awesomely light for having disc brakes. Love the carbon fiber chain and seat stays. New Shimano shifters are the best. No more thumbs for me!! It is super fast and this is just the beginning of the season. I don't know if I will end up on my hardtail at all anymore..

Weaknesses:    Don't like the saddle. More man specific. I will be changing it out for my Terry Butterfly Ti on the other bike.
no other that I have found yet!!!

Bottom Line:
I am loving it and have only been out a few times as of yet... I can let everyone know later after some serious racing and other rides..THis is an awesome bike for the cash and any serious cross country rider who is light can appreciate it.

Favorite Trail:   all trails that we can find

Purchased At:   Sport Tech in Oneonta, NY

Similar Products Used:   Sugar 1, GT i-drive

Bike Setup:   Time Carbon pedals, all xt components, SID race rock shox front fork, fox float rear shock, great for the cash spent.

Submitted by Cary Moon a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Nimble, tough, fast, comfortable, durable, climbs like a goat, leaves me with energy at the end of the ride to kick it hard at the end of the ride.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't like to be behind other riders, hard to get a rest on the trail.

Bottom Line:
I broke the frame on my hard tail and got a marked discount on the frame for the warrenty replacement. Then spared no expense (other than not going XTR just to spend money) on titanium brakes, rims, seat post, fork, etc.. Would have been $4000 had I paid full price. I like deep woods, water, rain, roots, doesn't matter. This bike is extraodinary! Far nicer than I hoped it would be. I am 49 years old and instead of taking it light, I usually handle my son in law and my main riding partner quit riding with me. Nouf said?

Favorite Trail:   animal paths

Similar Products Used:   First full suspention bike for me, road the Fisher Big Sur hardtail until I broke its frame. Feels close to the same when seated on it. Rides much sweeter.

Bike Setup:   Everything lite, XT crank and shifters, Shram 34-11,free wheel, Fox Float RLC and those real expensive rims and tubless tires!

AFC Sugar Hill Mountain Bike Race 2011

I was wondering if anyone here was planning on doing this race this year? I saw a thread for last year and it looks like there was a handful of you who did. I'd be curious to hear some war stories.Read More »

Sugar Race break alot?

Im looking at getting a sugar race of a buddy but after reading some reviews it seams they like to break at the fork, alot or so it seems. After reading that I almost want to go to walmart and buy one on the sale rack I remember as a kid useing and abusing huffys and stuff like that and they NEVER b ... Read More »

Race in Patapsco 3/28/09 - AFC Sugar Hill XC

I came across this last night. No course details yet on bikereg but here is the link. I have an idea of the course because I rode the proposed course with the organizers. Anyone know what the final route will be? Def have to do this one! Limited to 100 people so sign up early. Who is in? [u ... Read More »

16th Annual Sugar Bottom Scramble XC Race - Sunday, August 19th

:thumbsup: IMBCS #6 - The 16th Annual Sugar Bottom Scramble is this Sunday, August 19th!:thumbsup: [url]http://www.icorrmtb.org/[/url] [url]http://www.icorrmtb.org/page.php?2007Scramble[/url] It's ON! :cool: The XC mountain bike race steeped in years of tradition is set for this weekend. The Su ... Read More »

sugar mtn NC dh race shots

Here's some shots from my weak photography effort at sugar. I shot 4 shots in DH practice thursday before it started pouring. Then I gnar'd my collarbone in practice on friday afternoon. My one-armed shooting efforts after drinking all day saturday proved to be weak. Some pics. Herndon in D ... Read More »