Gary Fisher Sugar 2 XC Full Suspension

4.52/5 (27 Reviews)

• Frame: Platinum Series ZR9000 double butted aluminum Genesis Geometry | b*link swingarm w/ carbon fiber stays
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race wheelsystem | IRC SeracXC tires
  • Componentry: Shimano XTR SGS rear derailleur + Deore XT shifters + componentry front derailleur | Avid Single Digit-5 direct pull brakes | Bontrager Race splined crank | Time ATAC clipless pedals
  • Suspension: Manitou Mars Elite w/ TPC damping (80mm travel) | Cane Creek AD-12 Air rear shock (2.8î travel)

Submitted by andrew a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2013

Strengths:    Reliable tough and able. I have been just hammering on this 2002 for 3000k and just love it. Treck replaced the rear triangle last year under warranty (can you believe it?). I'm a big dude 200lbs and have crashed this thing hard so many times and just picked it up and kept on going.

Weaknesses:    Chain sick when dropping into the granny under load. Not really an issue. I drop down maybe one or twice a season.

Bottom Line:
Heavy as compared to today's bikes, but tough. Does what it is supposed to do and still competes with the hard tail 29ers that I will upgrade too at the end of year. I do think I will part with this bike as it is the bike that I can set out on a 50k single track and M ow it will make it back. Climbs well, rips down hill well and weaves in the singles real nice. Good for a big clumsy beginner right up to a high end intermediate. I would drop 1k on one with xtr components with disk brakes. Oh and I have gone 1200 k on 1 solid tune up and it is shifting well, just needs brake pads. Economical tough And able. Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   durham forrest

Duration Product Used:   4th season

Purchased At:   pink bike

Bike Setup:   Xtr with disk brakes. Original fork.

Submitted by SORBA Biker a Weekend Warrior from SC

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Price
Rear Shock
Versitility
Speed

Weaknesses:    Stock tires for agressive riding
Age of componentry

Bottom Line:
I was able to grab mine used for only 500 bucks and it has served me well. First of all, Its better at climbing than I am. Also its a sturdy bike for sure, I've luanched it off many a small jump and have hit a few 3 foot drops. I am kind of worried about doing anything bigger than that on mine because I bought it with a small (mostly cosmetic)dent in the bottom tube. It can certainly handle the downhills well, although I would say cornering at speed is a bit tricky. Some of the drivetrain components are stating to go on mine but thats not bad for it being almost 10 years old. If you can pick one up for under 1000 I'd say go for it. If you have more money I would go with a newer bike. This is an excellent for XC to Agressive XC riding.

Favorite Trail:   F.A.T.S IMBA Epic

Purchased At:   Local Pawn Shop

Bike Setup:   Mods- Wtb Saddle (the old one wore out)
Rock Shox SID XC fork
WTB Velociraptor tires

Submitted by Chanzie a Cross Country Rider from Sac-Town

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Strengths:    Geometry...geometry...geometry....GF hit the nail on the head with this design.

Weaknesses:    The weld on the seat tube bottom bracket casting.....that's where my first one broke.

Bottom Line:
This is a great X-Country bike that can really take a beating. I flogged my 2000 Sugar 2 for 4 1/2 years before it gave up its spirit. Trek sent me a new frame even though it was a 4+. It's a shame that Trek/GF are slowly stopping production of this great frame. I personally think they should revamp it by putting bearings at the pivot points making it an even better XC bike. I may have to buy up a few of these frames for future use.

Favorite Trail:   15 mph Bootleg @ Auburn

Purchased At:   Bicycle Products dot com

Similar Products Used:   2000 Sugar 2

Bike Setup:   RS Duke, Cane Creek AD12, mix of XT/XTR, King HS & hubs, Easton Bars, Thompson stem & seat post.

Submitted by Mike Bagg a Cross Country Rider from Yucaipa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    Light (25-26 lbs). Stock setup is great for the money. No rear pedal-bob.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat pleather tore after two weeks.

Bottom Line:
Before the foundation of the earth, the Lord must have said “In the fullness of time Mike will own a 2002 Sugar 2”

This bike gets me up in the morning.

Two years ago I started out on a Giant Iguana, then switched to a Trek Fuel 80, then had my unexpected divine appointment with the Sugar 2 at my LBS (500 bucks off, my size, the only one left). Of course I called my wife to secure the deal. When she gave me the go-ahead, I paid the bill and headed to my Monday night ride. From that day on I have been becoming a better, harder, faster rider—all because of my sweet sugar 2.

While riding with my buds I notice them pedal-bobbing on trails with easy grades, to trails with out-of-the-seat quad-ripping granny gear grades. Bob, bob, bob. Not on my Sugar 2. The perfect engineering on this bike somehow allows me to vary the air pressure and adjust the compression and rebound settings to my liking and still experience no pedal-bob. It amazes me when I set the o-ring on my shock, get out of the saddle and pound some, then notice that my o-ring indicator has not moved at all. Make sure you sample different settings on the compression and rebound adjusters—they really make a difference. Okay, enough gloating.

I’m not happy unless I’m climbing, and that’s what this bike does. The componentry is a perfect mix: My shifting is tight (very little adjustments after many rides), the braking is responsive, and the suspension responds to my adjustments—unlike other products out there. The Long top tube, short stem, and short chainstay get this bike digging in to the dirt, ruts, and rocks with excellent traction. The wheels stay true and the Shocks keep their air. What more can I say?

A couple of negatives: The front wheel hub developed a squeaky bearing very soon after purchase. I just take it out and force some thin oil into it every few weeks. Also, the stock chain had to be replaced, but only after I got a small log lodged between it and the gears. The seat ripped, but my LBS told me to grab one off the shelf and switched it out for me. The pivot points tend to squeak after a light washing. I quit bathing the bike and now wipe it down (I noticed the same squeaking with other FS bikes after washing).

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah Peak

Purchased At:   Redlands Cyclery

Bike Setup:   xtr r.d., xt f.d., manitou mars elite front suspension, cane creek ad-12 rear suspension, xt brake/shifter combo, avid single digit 5 brakes, bontrager race (cranks, stem, tubeless rims), bontrager (seatpost, 9 degree crowbar, hubs), cane creek headset, lx rear cassette, irc tires.

Submitted by George a Racer from Lincolnshire, IL USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    Light frame great geometry. Excellent climber

Weaknesses:    A Headset - this bike should come with a higher performance headset

Bottom Line:
Overall excellent bike! You would want to upgrade the crankset first - than make your way to the wheels, bar and seatpost. CAREFUL WHAT YOU WASH IT WITH - I USED FINISH LINE AND IT CAUSED ALL THE BUSHINGS TO START SQUEEKING!

Purchased At:   New on Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized and Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   Terry TI Fly saddle, EC 70 bar, Eggbeater pedals, XTR crankset

Submitted by Nicole a Cross Country Rider from Latrobe, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    EVERYTHING, climbs like nothing else, loves sand, rocks, mud, hills up and down, water, everything. Haven't found anywhere it won't go, haven't had to push it anywhere yet, done several duathlons, mtb races and adventure races, it performs superior everytime out. Anyone would have a great time on this bike!

Weaknesses:    the rider, this bike can do much more than I am capable of!

Bottom Line:
BUY ONE!

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Purchased At:   Epic Cycles - no longer in business

Similar Products Used:   none, had ridden a cheap full suspension bike, before that had a Cannondale hardtail

Bike Setup:   stock, will need new tires soon and that will be the first thing I've replaced.

Submitted by Carlton Garrard a Cross Country Rider from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    CLIMBER, period. Light from factory for a fully suspended bike, totally impressive for the price. Add a great downhill bike too for the suspension range. Cane Creek shock works like a charm, great for those whom don't like to continuously tweak on thier bikes. Very stable. Sticks like glue everywhere.

Weaknesses:    None really worth noting, paint a bit drab, but thats fine to me, im not out there for a fashion show.

Bottom Line:
Impressive design, perfect for the cross country full suspension types. Everything you want in that type of bike, comfortable, light(dont know many others you can get under 25lbs for that price), climber(adding the best i've ever ridden), good looks, reliable, great price (at least mine was, uh-hum!). Totally gave me an injection of impressiveness of Gary Fisher bikes. Thought they were a mediocre company till I rode this bike. Thats what I get for making an assumption. My Specialized Hardtail won't see any use for quite some time, why you ask? Why ride something that is the same weight but doesn't climb as good, handle as good, or give you all the wonderful benefits of a fully suspended bike? I don't need to answer that question. Just get one, you will love it. I'll add that im 5'9" and 155lbs give or take 5lbs. For those interested in that for whatever reason. Flat out impressive.
Best purchase in many many years.

Favorite Trail:   Blackstar Canyon, Santiago Peak

Purchased At:   Rock and Road Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M-4 full suspension. 2001 year model

Bike Setup:   I changed out the seatpost and the bar and stem with Easton carbon/aluminum (stem only), along with the seat and shifters this shaved an addtional 1 1/2 lbs off the already light platform, while still making the bike stronger. I opted for Grip Shift Sram 9.0 rocket shifters. Im a fan of grip shift, what can I say? Avid brake levers 2-digit ti. Carbon bar ends. Shocks set according to my weight and preferences. Panaracer 2.1 kevlar red-wall tires. Wireless computer (vetta) with altitude and all the bells and whistles.

Submitted by ken morgan a Cross Country Rider from yokosuka naval base Japan

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Strengths:    Agile, really handles great. Lightweight yet strong Very little bob when I hammer, Weight transfer when climbing is better than other bikes I have ridden

Weaknesses:    AD-12 leaked from the factory, LBS tried to help, but Cane Creek Japan, and Trek Japan SUCKS. they sent me a rebuild kit and said fix it yourself however leak was at rebound screw so rebuild doesn't help. finally the LBS told them do something or else and they coffed up a AD-10 to replace it. At a 185 pounds the Mars Elite (80 mm) was kinda spindley

Bottom Line:
Rear triangle worries me some (carbon fiber), however its held up to my weight somewhat, I custom machined a new link to give me another .75 inch of travel from 2.5 to 3.25 frame design is great however the shock selection sucks if you weigh over 175 or so, A Sugar Plus would probably be better for me, however they just arrived in Japan about a week ago and I couldn't wait. so if your 175 lbs or less go with it, if your over like I am get the sugar plus and have a blast.

Favorite Trail:   Tennan Trail

Purchased At:   Uno Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Joshua F-1, Canondale Super V (friends), Santa Cruz Bullit (friends)

Bike Setup:   Hayes discs, Chris King disco techs w/mavic rims, X-fly 100, and XTR shift pods all else is stock

Submitted by Bill Maguire a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    Great ride.

Weaknesses:    Chain Suck. Questions about the strength and durability of the rear triangle.

Bottom Line:
Lotta good bikes out there. I would stay away from this one.

Here is my story -- I brought the bike into the shop for its 60-day tune-up and to see what they could do about the chain suck problem. Few days later I received a call from the shop indicating that I had cracked the rear triangle. As the bike was 60 days old and I couldn't remember any rides (or falls) that might justify a cracked rear triangle, I fought with the bike store managers to have the rear triangle sent back to Wisc for warranty examination.

Warranty guys said no-go. After a number of mind-numbing calls in which bike store managers and Travis (a Gary F rep) read the warranty to me and reminded me that they could only warranty product defects, I was left with a broken frame, the suggestion that they could replace the rear triangle for $500-$600 and the very real fear that I might lose my mind if ever I was to suffer the chain-suck problem with the repaired bike.

So rather than have future interactions with G.F. and Pacific Bicycle, I have chosen to buy a new frame (Santa Cruz).

I hope the readers of this review will consider very seriously whether they want to purchase a bike from Gary F. My experience is that G.F. is not disposed to stand by their product.

Favorite Trail:   pine mountain

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Last Bike was the G.F. Big Sur. Before purchasing the Sugar 2, I spent a number of days on a friend's Sugar 1. Great bike.

Bike Setup:   Standard G.F. Sugar 2 set-up.

Submitted by John Mering a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho, U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    * Light weight and fast
* Excellent Components
* Price

Weaknesses:    * Cane Creek AD 12 rear suspension is a little stiff, but
that's what you want in a good climbing bike

Bottom Line:
So far this has been a great bike. It does everything that I want it to do without any problems. It climbs like a rocket and is just as good for downhill. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a great XC experience.

Favorite Trail:   Hard Guy

Purchased At:   World Cycle

Submitted by Reggie Skinner a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    This is my first FS bike, it is smooth... I feel like I float over stumps and roots and I'm considered a clydesdale (some one over 6 foot tall and over 200 lbs). Climbing isn't a chore with it, I would have thought I'd have a problem with bobbing, but no such problem.

Weaknesses:    saddle... it felt like a sponge. Pedals weren't clipless, had to take them off another bike I owned.

Bottom Line:
great FS bike!! ride it till the wheels fall off. I tested the Trek Fuel 90 and this bike just felt sturdier to me. I had a concern about the carbon chain stays due to my weight, but was told no worries.. it's gonna last no matter how hard I pound it. (Well, I've tested that theory, catching a little air.. and my LBS was right!!)

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam

Purchased At:   cycling spoken here

Similar Products Used:   cannondale hard tail

Bike Setup:   stock except for the saddle, kept my bontrager gel center

Submitted by Jean-Paul Martin a Cross Country Rider from Oakton, VA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Sugar 2+, Large: Light. Fast. Great frame. Superior climber. Adjustable travel on rear and front. Absolutely no bob. Tubeless rims.

Weaknesses:    Nothing major. Chainsuck could be a problem with stock crankset if you shift to granny under too much pressure. Psylo SL fork rattles a little at full travel.

Bottom Line:
This is my second full suspension bike. My best bike so far. I've raced it twice with much better results than with the old Dakar. It climbs better, it's lighter, and has much less bob. Following past reviews, and after experiencing some amount of chainsuck, I switched to an XT crankset ($99 at Performance + $26 BB). The bike is now perfect. I love the lockout feature on the Psylo fork for climbing, but I tend to forget to unlock it.

I love this bike. It performed flawlessly during a very strenuous 2 1/2h race. The tubeless Python were great in dry, rocky conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Massanutten ski resort, VA - West side.

Purchased At:   LBS - A1 bikes

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar Expert. Specialized hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock + new XT crankset + hutchinson python UST (rear) + continental vertical pro (front).

Submitted by jon from novato,ca

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
update: no more ghost shifting! chain from manufacturer is too long. If you have problems consider taking out one link.fisher will replace my freewheel under warrantee and pacific cycle has done right by me.racing in napa this weekend!

Submitted by jon from Novato,ca,usa

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    geometry,weight,value

Weaknesses:    shifting,hubs,fork is sketchy at speed

Bottom Line:
frustated with chain rattle,and skip in 10th gear jumps to 11 under a load.dealer adjusted 4 times and still problem.contacted fisher and rep told me take to another shop in santa rosa.mechanic said chain was too long,shortened it and readjusted entire bike.have only done one ride and no problem but i'm skeptical.while working mech. found back hub was crunchy and said it needs to be replaced back to first shop for warrantee work. I just want to ride!enough with the constant problems and stress and time involved.fisher rep was much more responsive than original shop, he told me after four misdiagnosis that maybe it was me?funnny i never had these problems for the five prev. years with my marin.hope it works out cause the geometry really works

Favorite Trail:   rocksprings