Gary Fisher Cake 2 XC Full Suspension

• Shimano M505 ATB clipless pedals
  • Bontrager Select Disc Specific wheelsystem

Submitted by gerry daclo a Cross Country Rider from ottawa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    Easily controlled ride due to genesis geometry
good component selection.
light for a dualie
good price
easy to maintain, no breakdowns whatsoever
not for a 225 pound gorilla due to manitou Black fork

Weaknesses:    very cheap original headset - changed to a Crane Creek
rear shock-frame link got loose. had to tighten with locktite
banana peel original tires. changed to panaracer tires

Bottom Line:
i would buy this bike again..i am aware that 5 years is huge
when it comes to bike componetry tech upgrades but i plan in keeping it for a while..

Favorite Trail:   #5 bromont

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   tommy lefebvre

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz heckler, Giant John tomac designed dualie - other garyfisher products, cannondale f500

Submitted by Jarren Klohr a Cross Country Rider from Yucaipa California USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    Climbs and handles downhills with ease

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
I haven't been riding long but I have been riding bikes for my whole life. This is my second full suspension bike and by far the nicest bike that I have ever owned!!! It climbs with ease and when you desend it has no problems responding to your every need.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse, GT

Bike Setup:   Stock rear shock, rock shock recon 131 forks, Easton bars

Submitted by Georgemead a Cross Country Rider from KY

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome ride for me at 5'7" and 160. this bike has performed very well on trail the deore LX and DX rear shift smoothly without fail. The bike is a mountain goat and suspension is smooth once it's adjusted properly.

Weaknesses:    The V brakes tend to clog up in muddy terrain and the stock seat sucks if you use it. Wish I had disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike, it's the best cross country bike I've personally ever ridden. I couldn't be happier unless I were to change out to disc brakes

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Cannon Profit

Bike Setup:   19" Manitou Black suspension, Deore LX shifters and front derailurs, Deore DX rears.

Submitted by kracer a Cross Country Rider from Crested Butte, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    Amazing bike for women who like to go fast - light and nimble. Climbs like a mountain goat - the gearing makes it easy to get up anything quickly if you want. Handles downhills smoothly.

Weaknesses:    Don't let the front shock get too soft and you'll be just fine.

Bottom Line:
This is the best full-suspension cross-country bike for women out there under $2000. My bike is a 2004 and it's holding up like a champ. Maybe best for smaller riders as the geometry works great for me at 5'4 and 130 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   401

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Giant

Submitted by darrinw2001 a Weekend Warrior from Valrico, Fl

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Light frame, sturdy, good geometry, overall solid frame and components

Weaknesses:    top tube is could be angled down more by seatpost. handle bars were a little wide for me, cut 1" off each side

Bottom Line:
This is my 1st LBS type full suspension and I love it. I have ridden others but I like the feel of this bike and the air shocks. I am a larger "Clydesdale" rider of 260lbs and it works great for me. Got a great deal on a used, only ridden 8 times, looked like it was brand new bike!

Favorite Trail:   North Creek

Purchased At:   Craig's list

Similar Products Used:   Giant trance, Specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock 2004 Cake 2 w/ Manitou Black Super Air, Swinger 3 way SPV shock, Panaracer Fire SC pro's, XT and LX components, Avid V brakes,

Submitted by Matthew a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Strengths:    This review is for 2005 GF Cake 2. I have had the bike for 8 months and I have about 750 miles on it. The bike is very light for a full suspension. I have been very pleased with the Shimano LX shifters and derailers. The Hayes hydraulic brakes are great. The carbon fiber seat stays are cool and have held up to my punishment. The paint has held up real well and Manitou SPV 3-way has functioned really well. I like the simplicity of a single pivot suspension.

Weaknesses:    I weigh 200 pounds, the Manitou Black Super Air 100mm front shocks could not take the pounding I was dishing out. Pretty much from the start I was bottoming the fork out. Increased pressure did help. I am not a fan of air shocks because of my weight and riding style. The SRAM cassette was horrible. Teeth starting breaking off of the cassette in the first couple hundred miles. I was told this was not covered by the warranty. The stock rear tire only lasted 300 miles. The grips and seat were terrible for the cost of the bike.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, however when I purchased it I did not know a lot about full suspension bikes. This bike is an excellent cross country bike. In the stock condition though, it cannot be considered an all mountain full suspension bike, unless you weigh less than 190lbs.

I have had the bike 8 months of which I have ridden around 700 miles. It has held up pretty well. I replaced the front shocks but I should have done that right away. I recently had to replace the cassette because of broken teeth, arrrgh!

Climbing has became very easy on this bike. My climbing skills have impoved immensly and the Manitou 3-way rear shock provides bob free pedaling all of time. Since getting this bike the speed I ride has greatly increased due to its forgiving performance over rough terrain. I don't think there is a bad line when riding this bike, but that was after I replaced the front shock.

I would buy this bike again but I think I would consider buying the Cake with 120mm of travel, although a properly tuned 100mm travel bike works fine.

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Trek

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension.

Bike Setup:   GF Cake 2, stock except for the following: RockShox Revelation Coil forks, Shimano XT M760 Cassette, Conti Gravity rear tire

2004 Cake 2 DLX??

I have the oppotunity to pick up an 04 Cake 2 DLX frame pretty cheap but was wondering if they used g2 geometry then? I have a Fox to put on it but not sure about geo. Thanks for any help.Read More »

2006 Cake 2 DLX Top Tube, Cracked or Paint?

I just noticed this hairline on my top tube. Not sure if it is paint or a crack, anyone have any ideas? Very upset about this, this frame was a warranty replacement back in 2007. Not sure if they will warranty again, plus do not know where receipts are anymore.Read More »

2004 Gary Fisher Cake 2 upgrades

Got the bike named above, upgraded(?) with mavic Crosslands to tubeless, mallet 1 platforms when I got the bike, but otherwise right off the floor. Did some searches for what upgrades to do first (most significant improvements) and it seems a little jumbled. So im asking, what upgrades should I do f ... Read More »

Cake 2 Fork Upgrade ?

Just bought an '07 ? Cake 2 for my wife, nice bike, but I'd like to upgrade her fork from the RS Recon that came with it. Lots of options out there, any suggestions for a good XC oriented fork that compliments the geometry of the Cake? I was thinking something in an air, simple to adjust that smoo ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Cake 2 DLX for Sale - Fort Collins

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=35652&cat=[/url] Its time to clean out the garage and I need to get rid of this one. The ad pretty much explains why I'm selling the bike so cheap. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to call or PM. Im sure we can arrange a test rid ... Read More »