Fezzari Abajo Peak XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

For 2013 we redesigned the Abajo Peak making it even lighter and stronger than before. We redesigned F4A frame while using the same great components that has made the Abajo Peak Fezzari's most popular cross country bike. Who will enjoy this bike? Moderate to advanced riders and those doing more climbing. With the Abajo Peak, you’ve got everything you need to tackle all the trails.

FRAME TECH

• Tapered Headtube
  • FRD Tetra Lnk 526
  • Sealed Oversized Bearings
  • Dual Bridge Post
  • Frame Defense Technology
  • Hydroformed Alloy Tubing
  • It has a bend in the top tube to give lower standover clearance because often when you need to put a foot down on the trail you're not on level ground and you need as much clearance as you can get.
  • The rear triangle has square tubing to give added strength and stiffness to the frame.
  • Reinforced gussets in the right places to give it superior lateral stiffness
  • Butting (thinning the tubing walls in the right places) to lower weight.
  • ISCG Mounts for expanded drivetrain option compatibility.

Check out more reviews on the new Abajo Peak 29er here.

Submitted by Rich Paxman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great Frame. I'm 290 LB and it feels very stiff to me. With shocks locked out, it almost feels like I'm on my old hard fork cro molly giant. Quality components for the price. Good lookin imo :) Had a few people ask me about it on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Gearing does need to be adjusted. Sometimes when I click to move gears, there is a delayed gear change or the gear does not change at all. This happens rarely, however. As soon as the new cables have stretched, I'll have it adjusted.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm very happy with the bike. I've put around 40 HARD trail miles on it and it still feels like new. I'm a big guy at 290 LBS and I've certainly stressed the bike. At my weight, the shocks are a bit weak, especially the rear shock. I'm running at 265 PSI in the rear ario shock and the o ring indicator doesn't have far to go before it falls off. I may try the max of 275 psi. Maybe I ought to quit jumping it it :)

I did upgrade the front shock to a Recon silver solo air for $165 additional as it seemed a better choice for my size. It's performing like a champ.

Bike feels light and well balanced to me.

I was a bit worried about the alex rims after reading some bad reviews, but they are staying true after some hard hits.

Customer service has been great before and after the sale. Alot better than my LBS.

I did alot of research and this bike felt like the right buy. Now I know it was.

Favorite Trail:   desert poppy loop

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by sheer a Racer from eugene, or, usa

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent hill climber, lightweight, very nimble and quick. Downhill ride is very nice, the suspension responds well without trying to buck the rider. Brakes work well.

Weaknesses:    Shifters/derailleurs are the achilles hill of this bike. They work okay for most riders but anyone who tasks this bike will dislike the gear train. Although the tuning dials in it falls short for a bike of this price range.

Bottom Line:
Great bike will do any technical riding you throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   crystal mt, wa

Bike Setup:   Excellent geometry for xc bike used for hill climbing and technical downhill.

Submitted by Highbury a Cross Country Rider from Eastvale CA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    The frame is solid and very well built.

Weaknesses:    It came with deore shifters, but they work great for now. I plan on upgrading to XT shifters.

Bottom Line:
At first, I was a bit concern about ordering a bike online. I have always purchased bikes at local shops. However, after reading reviews about the Abajo Peak, I decide to take a chance. It paid off! The bike looks and feels awesome. The guys at Fezzari are true bike experts. They took my measurements and built the bike to my specifics. When the bike arrived, it was 95% assembled. I just slapped the front wheel on, clamped the handlebars, and seat post..that easy!

If you are looking for an awesome bike, great price, and excellent customer service, the Fezzari Abajo Peak is no joke!

Favorite Trail:   Modjeska

Purchased At:   Fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, XT, Fox Shock, WTB, and Avid Juicy, Mavics, Kenda tires, Thompson seatpost, Easton bars.

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Boston, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    Customer support, Quality components, meets all expectations

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great bike and a great value. Fezzari has lived up to everything they advertise including several phone converations to answer questions prior to and after my purchase. Aside from a few minor adjustments and regular
maintanence the bike performs. I am very satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Hills

Purchased At:   Fezzari on-line

Similar Products Used:   entry level Specialized hardtail

Bike Setup:   as advertised, SLX rear derailer, Tora shock, Alivio rea shock

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Amarillo, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Cool looking bike and rides decent.

Weaknesses:    Shifter sticks, front derailur rattles on jumps, brakes need adjusting

Bottom Line:
Do not buy a bike online, especially from Fezzari! When I recieved my bike and it wasn't right they basically told me there was nothing they could do. They checked it when it shipped so they were covered. I will be taking it to a local bike shop to get it set up (see product weaknessness) because it was not ready to ride out of the box like promised.

Fezzari promises a free 30 day trial period since you can't test ride the bike but what they fail to mention is they put a 15 percent restocking fee on it so it can be very pricey if you are not satisfied.

The bike itself isn't all that bad. It rides decent and its made up of some pretty good parts. I love the locking suspension in the front and back. Highly recommond that to anyone that plans on climbing any type of hill. But I still would NOT buy online or over the phone. It is nothing but headache when something goes wrong and the company doesn't want to help you out. Not to mention I had to wait nearly 2 months before I finally got the bike after I bought it. If you live somewhere near their Utah HQ you may consider looking into the bike because overall it is not bad. Otherwise I would be very skeptically.

Submitted by Morpheus0026 a Weekend Warrior from Peyton, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Price (overall value - you get a lot for your money), Deore XT Derailers, Lock out shocks on Both front and Rear, weight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I was a bit apprehensive about dropping almost a grand and a half on a bike that I had never ridden. The reviews were so great and I saw everything I needed to see to make me feel comfortable on the website.

I haven't looked back since.

I received my bike yesterday and was able to take it for a short ride. I tested it for about an hour on-road and some varied off-road terrain and I must say I’m very pleased. It doesn’t take long to figure out that this is a high quality bike. This is a HUGE upgrade from the ‘04 Fisher hard-tail I was riding…which was also a nice bike I might add in its day.

I was really impressed by the quality of the frame. It’s really easy to tell that that the frame was meticulously crafted with strength and durability in mind. The frame has a very sturdy, solid feel to it. The bike overall is surprisingly light, considering the beefy look of the frame. It was so light that when the box arrived and I lifted it to bring it into my house, I thought for sure there were some missing parts.

I love the Deore XT derailers, they shift incredibly smoothly compared to the Deore LX I’m used to. This is the first “full-squish” I’ve owned and I love that I can lock out the front and rear shock on the fly. It makes for a smooth transition from a hard tail.

Overall, I’m hugely impressed and very happy with my purchase. The bike just looks cool too. I’m looking forward to a many rides with this rig. I will be recommending Fezzari to my friends, but don’t think I’ll have to say a word when they see the bike for themselves.

Purchased At:   www.fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full squish...my previous bike was an '04 Gary Fisher Tasajarra

Bike Setup:   Full Suspension Cross Country / All Mountain Mountain Bike

Submitted by xrdsoutback a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad, CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    One word: Fast. It's so fun to ride. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out and ride it. I've ridden it for 6 months and it rides the same as day one. I ride almost every kind of trail and it handles them great. I'm saving up now to get one for my wife.

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
Best bike in this price range by far. No hesitations in recommending it.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Giant Trance

Submitted by gs25 a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    Really strong, durable frame. Great components, especially for the price.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Definitely the best mountain bike I've owned or used so far. The frame is really strong. Paired with a great list of components (Shimano LX, Avid Brakes) the bike performs amazing.

The rear shock lockout has been a huge bonus on climbs, and I can easily switch back when I'm bombing down the mountain.

I've even come off it a few times and the frame still looks great. I would definitely recommend for the beginner to intermediate rider that's looking for a great bike that can perform well at basically everything you can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   Anything and Everything

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Giant

Submitted by klk4323 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Great lateral stiffness, pedals great (no bobbing at all), light (only 32 lbs), quality and finish are superb. Great bike

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike. I searched for 3 months for my next bike and rode dozens of different bikes. I got the 2009 Abajo Peak and the frame is quite a bit different. They put bearings on every pivot (nobody does that). Fezzari says it makes their frames last longer and that the frame stays tight for years. I'm a believer. This bike corners on singletracks like it's on rails. It's tight. I was blown away by the quality of the bike when I saw it in person. My next bike will be a Fezzari for sure.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX, Avid BB5, Rockshox Ario 2.2

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    No bobbing. Handles the trails good. Love the bent top tube because especially because I have a little shorter legs. Fezzari put a custom stem on for me. This bike is soft to the touch and corners really good.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Wow! I was a little worried because I saw a review in here saying the bike was 37lbs. So as soon as I got it I weighed it with a professional bike scale. 32.2 lbs. It rides great and feels light. Fezzari Support is incredible.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Shimano LX, Avid BB-5, Maxxis Larsen TT tires.

Submitted by Dee a Weekend Warrior from surprise az

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy, durable, quality frame and components.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than most riders would like, but I make it a point to avoid trails where I have to carry my bike.

Bottom Line:
Solid choice for the money. If your big brand conscious this is probably not the bike for you, at least not until Fezzari becomes more widley known, which wont be long. But if quality, reliability and a great ride are what your looking for this is the perfect bike. I have ridden this bike for 6 months 2-3 times a week over some pretty harsh terrain and have had zero problems with it. The more you ride it, the more your confidence increases as to what you can handle and what the bike is capable of. Customer service guys are great! Have never been made to feel like I just asked a stupid question.

Favorite Trail:   white tanks

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpy

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jason S. a Weekend Warrior from Buena Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    The bike is very solid, the individual parts are pretty good, the customer service is great.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the brakes, and the bike is a bit heavy. 37LBS stock.

Bottom Line:
This is a great beginners bike, I use to race BMX when I was a teenager and have been interested in getting back on the saddle in some aspect. The bike is solid all the way around, the individual parts aren't spectacular, but they aren't bad. The bike hasn't given me any problems except for the front brakes. The bike is a bit heavy and I would like to see more travel in the rear suspension. I can climb fairly well on this bike and the handling hasn't let me down. If you are looking into mountain biking, this wouldn't be a bad place to start. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade as my skill level is dramatically increasing.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Costco.com

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    Outstanding bike, frame, and component mix for the money. Incredible service from Fezzari. Very knowledgable staff.

Weaknesses:    Stem was a little longer than what my wife wanted. She likes to sit up a little more while riding than most. We contacted Fezzari and they sent a new stem out right away and helped us out.

Bottom Line:
This is actually my wife's bike so it's not set up to my size. But I have ridden it many times just to get a feel for it. I own the Fezzari Alta Peak and wrote a review here on MTBR on how I ended up buying that bike. I LOVE my Alta Peak. It has been one sweet ride. Whoops, I forgot, this review is about my wife's Abajo Peak. . .

While the frame of the Abajo Peak seems to be of equal quality and strength to my Alta Peak the main differences are in the shocks, brakes and other component mix.

My Alta Peak rear shock has lockout. I came from a hard tail bike prior to it and so I was concerned about hill climbing and didn't want to lose "climb-ability." The lockout feature was one of the main reasons I went with the Alta Peak for me in the beginning. While I REALLY like the quick lockout feature on my Alta Peak though, my wife's Abajo is still a great ride. I prefer having the lockout feature and use it quite a bit, but she doesn't seem to care about that feature. Don't get me wrong, she rides quite a bit, especially now. Her previous bike was a fairly heavy department store bike and after she got the Abajo Peak said, "where have you been all my life?" I got a little jealous:0) The shocks on the Abajo are great though, especially for the money paid for the bike.

The derailleurs on the Abajo Peak are Shimano LX, a step down from what comes on the Alta Peak. They work great. Mine on the Alta Peak are smoother, but the LX level is nothing to complain about.

The other thing on the Abajo Peak is that the brakes are mechanical vs. the Juicy brakes on my Alta Peak. I also really like the hydraulic brakes, but be careful when you take the wheel off, you don't want to pull the brake handle as they are self-adjusting and it was a trick opening back up. But again, Fezzari helped me figure that one out. The mechanical brakes are also outstanding, but the feel of the hydraulic brakes is really nice--powerful yet smooth.

One question I've been asked a few times is, "is it worth the extra money for the Alta Peak over the Abajo Peak?" My answer is it really depends on your budget. The Abajo feels quite similar in many aspects while riding, but I personally just absolutlely have to have the rear lockout feature, I love the Juicy brakes and the shifting is a little better on the Alta Peak.

As for the Abajo Peak. My wife loves it. It was more bike than she expected when we got it because when we went shopping in the local bike shops, they weren't as good at the amount we had budgeted for her bike. She rides much more now than before. So, it was worth getting a decent bike for her.

Both of us have been really pleased with both of our bikes. The quality is every bit as good as any "name brand" I've ridden. The price is MUCH lower than comparable "name brand" bikes. The customer service has also been exceptional. And I now have a few friends who have bought Fezzari bikes after seeing ours. These are the same friends who told me to be leery about buying online before I did it.

Favorite Trail:   Many Favorites

Purchased At:   www.fezzari.com - Direct

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Fezzari Alta Peak, Specialized Epic Comp, Stumpjumper FSR Elite, Giant Trance 1, Trek Fuel 95, EX 7. I tested several others includind Canondales, but these are the ones I liked the most when we were shopping for our bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock components. My wife had this bike custom fit for her through Fezzari's "Custom Setup" program. They took her measurements, size, riding style and outfitted the bike with the right size frame, crank, handle bars, stem, seat post. When we got the bike the stem was slightly longer than what she wanted, so Fezzari quickly and easily swapped it out for a little shorter stem. She likes to sit up a little more while riding.

Submitted by Mike from Riverton, Utah

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2006

Strengths:    It's a way nicer ride than my previous Stumpjumper FSR-XC. Much less lateral flex when decending. Very comfortable ride overall.

Weaknesses:    Not as nice as the Alta Peak which wasn't available when I got this one.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike but I'd probably go for the Alta if I had the chance to do it over again. It's really stable as a climber and decender. No real problems so far.

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Giant I-Drive, Cannondale Jeckyl and other previous hardtails I've ridden since '91.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for my saddle which I have used on my previous bikes.

Submitted by Jon Ruiz a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Strengths:    It's a great steal for the price. I love the 4 bar suspension which decreases pedal bob. Tires are good, they grip like a bear trap. Stopping power is pretty good, I could literally stop in a dime. Customer service was excellent! They treated me well, the guy that I spoke to on the phone was very knowledgeable and the bike has a lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! I am always telling people who are looking for a bike to definitely get a Fezzari. They have great customer service and the bikes in their line up are pretty tight!

Favorite Trail:   Whitting Ranch