Felt Virtue 1 XC Full Suspension

4.55/5 (40 Reviews)

GENERAL INFORMATION:
SIZES (in)
S (15.5) / M (17.5) / L (19.5) / XL (21.5)

COLOR
Matte Black

WEIGHT
25.68 lbs.

FRAME
Virtue Lightweight Endurance Full Suspension Featuring Equilink, 130mm Travel, 7000 Series DB Aluminum w/Hydroform TT, Carbon Fiber Sub-Frame, Fully Integrated Head Tube

FORK / SHOCK
Fox Talas RLC, 140/120/100mm Travel Adjust, Air Spring, FIT Damping, Rebound & Comp. Adjust, Push Button Lockout; Fox Float RP23 Air, Pro Pedal 3-Position Lever, Rebound Adjust

DRIVETRAIN
Shimano XTR RD, FD, Crankset, Rapid Fire Shifters, Cassette, Dura-Ace Chain

WHEELSET
Mavic CrossMax SL Disc Wheelset

COMPONENTS
Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbon Disc Brakes 180mm FT/160mm RR Rotors, Selle Italia SLR Ti Saddle, Easton Monkeylite Carbon Bar, Easton EA 70 Stem & Seatpost, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 UST Kevlar Tires, 7075/Scandium/Titanium Seatclamp

Submitted by Eric

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2014

Strengths:    Climbs well, great geometry, long travel suspension

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket, front fork, on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I have maybe a dozen rides on this bike. I ride mostly the rocky, rooty single track of NH and Maine. Overall I am real happy with it. The bike is on the heavy side, but it does ride like a much lighter bike. Where this was my first ninner, a rode a bunch to figure out what works best. The transition from my sugar was very easy. Overall this geometry seemed to fit me the best.

Have had some issues. Blew the front fork out on my second ride in a pretty tame rock garden. The bottom bracket has been pulled several times because of just none stop creaking. Seem to get 5 miles before it returns. I don't know enough to know if this is a bad BB, or if it is the frame. Going to replace it and see if it gets any better. I consider these things minor, that just need to be worked through.

The one head scratcher is the dropper post that is included. This is my first dropper and am sold. However there is no remote for this. I have yet come across a scenario where taking a hand off the bars to reach for the lever under the seat is something that makes sense. Maybe I am not a strong rider, or it is not designed for the trails I ride on. Bottom line is it just stupid and in my opinion not safe.

Overall other then the dropper post, I have no real complaints. My local bike shop has been great with the odds and ends that just seem to happen when you ride.

Submitted by supermtbdude

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    everything- this bike sucks if you are looking to do even light freeride or downhill...... ever. The bolts are always falling out or snapping inside the bike and the frame feels like its always just on the edge of snapping in half

Bottom Line:
Dont ever buy a felt bike

Submitted by Dan Scott

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Its a light weight x/c bike with great handeling. I have mine set up stiff front and rear. It drives like a slot car on the trails. Once I diled in my tires it got fun to ride!

Weaknesses:    Creeks and squeeks. It requires deep cleaning to keep all parts moving

Bottom Line:
I got this as a year before close out. Wow what a difference a nice bike does for your ridding.

Submitted by Bryan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    I am on a 19.5 (Large) frame and I am about 6'1 and 160lbs. I have been on this bike for about a year now and I have it set up for "All Mountain" use. So it's a bit slack in feel. I have found that this is a solid bike. It is fast up on climbs, and descends like it has a parachute. The key to this frame is your set up. It reacts to minor changes in rear shock pressure, fork pressure, tire pressure etc.. And let me tell you, tires make this bike! Choose wisely! Once you get a feel for it you will keep up with any high dollar bike. Hard tails included. Felt has several other frame sets with the Equilink configuration. Try a few models at your LBS first to find a geometry that fits well. Overall, I would recommend this frame to anyone.

Weaknesses:    Eats rear bearings like a champ! Noisy suspension if you don't clean it. You have to clean it... I mean C.L.E.A.N. it, often.

Bottom Line:
Overall the bike is fantastic, and I have no complaints. Felt has been even better in assisting with bearing replacements, and I have had a great experience with the frame-set.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Diamond/Cottonwood Nevada

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Trek Fuel, Giant Reign, Santa Cruz Bullit, Cannondale Prophet, Niner Hard tail, Cannondale Flash 29

Bike Setup:   Fork: Manitou Drake 130mm,
Cockpit: Raceface evolve XC bars and stem, Specialized saddle, Bontrager carbon seat post
Brakes: Hayes Nine
Drive-Train: Sram GXP 3x10 with X7 shifters
Wheels: Bontrager Race Lite
Tires: Michelin Wild Race'r's

Submitted by davidof a Cross Country Rider from Grenoble

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    I have the 2010 model (note this is the same level as the 2009 Virtue 4), it has a great black and white design and superb Felt frame and I really like the Equilink setup. weight at around 30lbs is good.

Weaknesses:    Shimano hubs don't even seem to be Deore spec.
Wheels needed some truing from new.
Saddle and Saddle Clamb (replaced with a great BBB clamp from Bike24.de ) and Sella Italia saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great fully suspended bike for the price. No bob when climbing which is great compared to my old Raleigh.

Favorite Trail:   Marika ST

Purchased At:   Profirad AG

Similar Products Used:   I've moved over from a hardtail Raleigh Dynatech (which dates from 1989)

Bike Setup:   Pumped the suspension as suggested on this site. Running with Shimano PD-M545 pedals, a bit heavy but means the wife can use the bike. Swapped the awful saddle and seat clamp.

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    I loved climbing on this bike and compared to my hard tail the down hill was amazing. I dropped in of of some crazy high drop (for me 3-4 feet) sideways, and the bike seemed to self right itself when I landed.

Weaknesses:    Cleaning the link is a bit of an issue n the muddy NW.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic all around mountain bike.

Purchased At:   From a Friend

Bike Setup:   Full XTR upgrade.
Crank Bros. Colbolt Wheels
Rock Shox Reba

Submitted by jct522 a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2011

Strengths:    This bike has a great feel on the trail. The Equilink allows it to climb hills really well and with the right adjustment on the suspension it just hammers through really rocky terrain. I love the frame even though it won't fit on my bike rack, but its a very well built bike and very well priced for someone who doesn't need to spend thousands on a professional bike.

Weaknesses:    The seat is pretty rough but after a bunch of rides you get used to it. Felt did go pretty crazy on the logos but I think it looks pretty sharp. I have the black/white colored frame and its pretty sick looking.

Bottom Line:
I got introduced to Felt bikes last year by a friend who has a Virtue 2 and I have been impressed. The quality is rock solid. I look forward to riding that bike even more every time i get on it.

Favorite Trail:   Divide Loop

Purchased At:   Folsom Bike

Submitted by joeworrall a Cross Country Rider from phoenix, az

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Strengths:    duralink rear suspension design, geometry/handling, quality component group for the price

Weaknesses:    stock grips, tires, seat and Rock Shox front fork. The screws on the stock seatpost stripped within weeks after purchase. The bottom bracket is a bit low thru rock gardens... And it has developed some chain slap, but what bike that's been ridden hard doesn't?

Bottom Line:
bought this as the 2009 models were being cleared out to make way for the 2010's. Huge improvement over my old Diamondback: better shifting and handling really improved my confidence on the technical trails. Stock front fork and tires have to go if you expect to ride on technical trails. Felt is better known for their road bikes, but I would buy another Virtue if I could get one for this price!

Favorite Trail:   trail 100

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback x2

Bike Setup:   manitou minute 3:00 front fork, spinergy front wheel, ergon style grips, WTB ExiWolf rear tire, Hutchinson Python front tire, WTB seat, Thompson seatpost

Submitted by MJBiker a Racer from Provo, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    Great agronomy, light and robust frame, great 130 mm travel

Weaknesses:    Extra care has to be paid to the carbon fiber triangle. In a case of crash, inspect for scratches and cover them with paint ASAP to avoid getting water/moisture there.

Bottom Line:
A great race bike. It greatly handles uphills and very technical downhills.

Purchased At:   At ski resort sale

Submitted by GB_Rider a Weekend Warrior from Granite Bay, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Equilink rear suspension works. Great for climbing and cross-country, holds its own on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    No lockout on the Front Rockshox Recon shock. SRAM X-7 shifters. At 28 lbs it isn't the lightest thing out there.

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on a '09 Virtue II and have been really happy with it. The bike geometry makes it comfortable and nimble for climbing and cross-country, and the equilink rear suspension does a great job w/o having a dedicated lockout. I've had issues with the SRAM X-7 shifters, and may upgrade them, but otherwise am really happy with the bike - especially factoring in the price paid.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale RZ One Forty 4

Bike Setup:   Stock except for XTR pedals.

Submitted by White Lightning a Cross Country Rider from foothill ranch, CA, United states of America

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    this thing climbs very well for a bike without lockout on the rear shock. the suspension is very solid.

Weaknesses:    the SRAM x.9 derailluer. and x.7 shifters broke :/ but no worries, ii upgraded to a SRAM x.o derailluer and x.9 shifters now it rides like a dream.

Bottom Line:
This bike is really reliable and good quality. i would watch out for the x9 derailuer, it is very hard to adjust, thats why i got an x.o derailuer instead. otherwise, this bike rules!

Favorite Trail:   whiting ranch.

Purchased At:   neighbors house

Bike Setup:   stock (upgraded shifters and rear derailluer)

Submitted by shane444 a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
This bike is well balanced and climbs incredibly well. Upgrading from a hard tail I was concerned about it's climbing abilities and the effectiveness of the Equilink suspension and pedalling efficiency. Under heavy load energy seems to be translated into forward momentum as good as my hardtail, with the suspension still able to respond to trail input if needed. Downhill the bike is awesome, it sticks to the trail and allows me to take lines I wouldnt have thought possible. The Felt tyres it ships with are holding up well in the wet and loose trails I take it on. Avid Elixir R brakes can be a little noisy but I believe this is a common issue with this brake.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    The equilink system is less mushy than others I've test ridden. Frame is as good as any in its class.

Weaknesses:    Virtue 4's Hayes Solo brakes are simply awful. I got tired of them going out on me every thirThe seat was hard as a rock. I switched it out as well.

Bottom Line:
I should have paid the extra money for the Virtue 3 with it's better brakes. Where in the hell did they get that awful seat.

Too expensive of a bike for these annoyances.

Favorite Trail:   Tamrancho

Purchased At:   Sports Basement

Submitted by mikepenciner a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Climbing, sprinting, anything in between

Weaknesses:    head-angle doesn't inspire confidence going down steep technical elements.

Bottom Line:
Climbs like a goat. The rear suspension in incredibly efficient even without lock-out. Sprints like a hardtail, but the suspension is plush enough to take most rough trails and technical elements. If you like to ride hard and fast, from cross-country to just short of all-mountain, this is the bike for you.

Purchased At:   Vertigo