EPX Terrashark XC Full Suspension

• Carbon fiber technology
  • Multi-sport lines
  • Carbon-reinforced gussets
  • Torsional stiffness

Submitted by bruno candido rodrigues martins

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Hello friends a wanna price !!!!!!! from brazil
thanks

Weaknesses:    Hello friends a wanna price !!!!!!! from brazil
thanks

Bottom Line:
Hello friends a wanna price !!!!!!! from brazil

Submitted by NW Sheepdog

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2013

Strengths:    Very light and well balanced

Bottom Line:
I just got this bike from my brother in law who bought it new. He NEVER rode it. it literally has ZERO miles on it. Is this something I should ride or sell? I Have always had Trek or Fisher bikes and loved them.

Submitted by Rob Django

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Due to the carbon frame, its considered light at about 12kg/27lb. Very good value for money and if you can find one now, its a steal as EPX has since closed down and discontinued. That makes the frame quite collectible!

Weaknesses:    I can't say anything great about the parts, at the price i got, expect them to be entry-level. Good thing is that the price point is low and you can ride out the parts and replace them with better ones.

Bottom Line:
Can't say more about this bike ... price vs quality ... i would have given it top marks!

Submitted by leshark a Downhiller from Weston-super-Mare, England

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    As a frame IT IS RIDGID and LIGHT 1600kg (less than one of my DH wheels), extremely quiet ride

Weaknesses:    Won't fit many bike racks (like Fiamma Ones) BB mounting sets crank close to rear arm

Bottom Line:
Light weight frame easily capable of heavy downhill, Rock solid quality construction at a stunning price.

With 6" rear mod (available from epx) creates a fast quiet All Mountain bike worthy of a much more expensive setup, with light components easily ridden back up the hill too!

Favorite Trail:   Mendips

Purchased At:   EPX (Ebay)

Similar Products Used:   Whyte PRST1, Whyte PRST4

Bike Setup:   Mazocchi All Mountain 3 forks, Manatou Metel Rear shock, Sun D/H wheels, Kenda Navegal 2.35 tyres, DMR stem & bars, Avid Brakes and mech

Submitted by Bill H a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome looks
Fast Bike
Great price

Weaknesses:    Creaks

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. This thing is FAST. The design of the suspension system seems to lock the rear suspension under hard acceleration. Because of this and its lightness, the bike screams.

I suspension works smooth and the angle of the fork gives a good balance between cruzing and turning needed for trail riding.

The seat post area is made from aluminum and holds the seat still.

Since I built the bike from frame up, I cannot comment on the components that come with the bike.

I would say that the bike is the best value on the market today if you are willing to live the lack of USA support.

Favorite Trail:   Three Sisters

Purchased At:   EPX direct

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven

Bike Setup:   Shram XO

Submitted by Fredi Reiher a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Strengths:    Customer Service!
Simple design.
Full suspension frame for low price.

Weaknesses:    My only complaint would be the rear shock. It's fine but I'm about 200lbs. I had to pump it up to the maximum (300psi) to keep it stiff enough during climbing.

Bottom Line:
UPDATE SINCE FIRST REVIEW. EPX CAME THROUGH FOR ME, HAPPY NOW.

I found this bike on Supergo.com for a good price for a FS frame. When I first got it, I found that it was missing a specific part to align the front derailleur properly. At first, neither Supergo nor EPX (US office) would help me. See my first review, below. After a couple of years, I was a bit fed up with it and stripped it to build another bike.

A few years later a friend convinces me to build it back up. On a whim, I emailed the Australia office and told them my problem. They PROMPTLY sent me the part from Australia! Now that's customer service! The bike works fine now although I don't ride it much.

Favorite Trail:   Accotink-Wakefield Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   EPX Terrashark with Cane Creek AD5 shock, Shimano XT all 'round.Mavic rims with XT 6 bolt hubs,Bontrager seatpost, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Sette7 bar, Race Face stem Manitou Black Elite fork(100-120mm travel).

Submitted by Bill H a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, and fast.

Weaknesses:    Traditional carbon compaints. Must be shipped over seas.

Bottom Line:
With my weight of 240 lbs, I am a fatty, I always have had problems with frame flex. It can be so bad that my gear jump under heavy load. I went carbon 8 years ago to avoid this problem. Since I do not do jumps, or tricks or anything else that would kill me if the frame broke, I feel safe. I do make sure that the frame does not have any carbon deep scratches.

What I really like about this bike is how fast it feels in comparison to the Raven or the Scott. The reduced weight or the geometry could play a role. Really I do not care. I have cut 5 minutes from my morning commute, and I know that it was not meļ

I would recommend this bike to anyone. I challenge anyone to find a better value.

Favorite Trail:   3 sisters

Purchased At:   EPXBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Carbon Raven, Scott

Bike Setup:   Shram X9 componets

Submitted by TCW a Cross Country Rider from Washington, OK

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Fairly light, looks sleek and cool, strong for carbon with lots of carbon layers (thump it and the resonance produced sounds thick), single pivot = hardly any maintenance, tight tolerances: seat post, headset, and bottom bracket fit really tight, longish virtual top tube - medium frame fit me even though I usually ride a large.

Weaknesses:    Stinkbugs with hard braking. Active design plus lowish bottom bracket = a broken pedal if not mindful. Requires the weird "e" style front der.

Bottom Line:
My joints were starting to feel somewhat battered on my hardtail (2000 Trek 8000) and wanted to experience some simple full suspension technology without blowing a load of cash in the process. The good wifey found the Terrashark on Pricepoint for $500, which included a Fox RC rear shock. I got the frame and switched over some parts from the Trek, and bought a few upgrades in the process, including the awesome Marathon S 120mm fork (kinda heavy but oh so plush and laterally stiff). The shock slacks the geometry a bit but due to its ETA feature causes me no problems, probably actually helps because the extra inch travel makes for sweet plush-ness on epic rides. The ETA drops the front and tightens the head tube geometry to make near-impossible steep climbs almost like cheating. I get lots of comments, “like how the crap did you get up that?” “that’s not fair!” etc. The bike weighs about 28 lbs. which isn’t bad considering its got nearly 5 inches of travel in front and a solid 4 inches in the rear.

The medium frame runs big with a top tube that measures about 24.1 inches and fits me (6 feet 1 + inches) well. It's about the same length as a large Genesis geometry Trek 8000 and about the same length as an X-large SC Superlight. I had to get a longish seat post, Thomson Elite 430 mm for some added seat height.

The first reviewer mentions lack of EPX product support. I recently emailed them for a new dropout, contact info here: http://www.epxbikes.com/
They promptly sent a new one free of charge and said that any more would cost $10 a pop, including shipping. Turn around to get the new drop out was about one week, not bad.

Their website is still up and running and has an update date 3-1-2006 so it looks like they are still making bikes and providing support.

A friend’s large Santa Cruz SL provided good bike for comparison. The Terrashark rides a lot like the SC but with a tad more suspension activity (which I like) in the rear, probably because the pivot is slightly higher than on the SC. The bottom bracket is about as high as a SL, also, which means it’s kinda low. Good for stability but bad for crashing pedals on big roots and rocks. I hated reaching down to activate the lock-out feature on the rear shock so I added a Cannondale remote lockout. A stable-platform type shock would be nice but my Fox is still kicking so no need to blow more cash than necessary. I typically run the suspension a little on the more supple side and a flick of the remote lockout turns it into a hardtail for climbing.

I recently took it to Angelfire NM, deflated the rear shock a bit and did some mild downhilling. The bike worked well and handled my a-bit-over 200 lbs. riding weight just fine. The swingarm can move down about I more inch before it runs into the front derailleur. If I spent more time in the Rockies I’d be tempted to add a slightly longer coil-over to make it an almost 5 inch front and rear travel bike. EPX shows a coil over on the frame (click spring under the picture): http://www.epxbikes.com/epx/default.asp

There are still some Terrashark framesets and bikes available. So, if you're in the market for a solid performer, single pivot, cross-country/light all mountain, that looks sexy, bike then I think you'd be happy with a Terrashark.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Lots of steel and aluminum hardtails, Santacruz superlight, K2 Evo.

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT (for now) components, Marzocchi Marathon S (120), Easton bars/stem, Thomson seatpost, WTB seat, SRAM chain, WTB MutanoRaptor tires, Hayes hydro brakes (El Caminos)

Submitted by Kamil Klopotowski a Cross Country Rider from Warsaw, Poland

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Very well quality / price ratio, light, great climbs and descents, great look, can be used for marathones as well as for freeride. After 3 years of riding (also in the mountian) it is still in one piece. Good compromise between comfort and race features.

Weaknesses:    Stiffness )agura Louise 01 brakes (I changed a brake lever twice), Magura disc hubs.

Bottom Line:
I have just customised it and now it just fits perfect. It's weight doesn't exeeds the magic boarder of 12 kilos (around 26,5 lbs). Good choice for hard terrain raiders that value lightness and reability.
PS. Come to Poland, we have a great mountains here, click:

Favorite Trail:   many in Beskidy mountians

Purchased At:   bikesource (I guess)

Bike Setup:   I changed a lot of things: bar, tires, tubes, seatpost, cassette, shifters, rear hub.

Submitted by Fredi Reiher a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Strengths:    Looks cool, wanted an FS on the cheap. carbon. simple design.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Creak around the BB, some play around the shock mount.
Customer support. EPX pulled out of the US market (I believe right after I bought their last frame) By the time I realized that there was a small part missing, EPX took only one call and just stopped answering the phone. Supergo.com was no help either.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad deal, but if I knew then what I know now...
Both Supergo and EPX left me hangin'. There's no excuse for that.
I like the frame, but it's alot of bike for the riding I do. I've since moved all parts to a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Accotink-Wakefield Park

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   None, my first FS frame.

Bike Setup:   EPX Terrashark with Cane Creek AD5 shock, Shimano XT all 'round.Mavic rims,Bontrager seatpost, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Sette7 bar, Race Face stem Manitou Black Elite fork(100-120mm travel).