Ellsworth Truth XC Full Suspension

4.55/5 (95 Reviews)
MSRP : $1995.00

• Rear Travel: 4 in.
  • Shock Options: Air: Fox AVA R ProPedal, CC Cloud 9, 5th Element Coil: Romic D, Romic Ti Exc
  • Fork Travel: Recommended 80-105mm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by 12hr

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    suspension, handling, climbing, nimble on technical,

Weaknesses:    lateral stiffness (could be the wheels). Cracked seat tube in 4th season. Only a 2 year warrenty

Bottom Line:
    No one loves this bike as much as me. But, a cracked seat tube in the 4th season has me shopping for a frame with a lifetime warrenty. For the price; Ellsworth must extend a lifetime warrenty on the frame. I cannot justify another $2500 frame that could leave me stranded in the middle of another bike season.
    The 4-bar suspension, though, is the only one I'll ever ride - thanks to the Ellsworth design

Submitted by dirtdar a Cross Country Rider from Oak Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2012

Strengths:    Responsive, yet smooth. Almost plush

Weaknesses:    Rear chain stay creacked annoyingly and then cracked after a couple years. But Ellsworth replaced and had good customer service. (Thanks to staff at extension x208, by the way)

Bottom Line:
    A great XC bike. Also a fun tool to bounce throug some minor technical areas too. No regrets.

Purchased At:   rbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Fox F100 RLC, Fox rp23, XT

Submitted by DD Dano a Cross Country Rider from Astoria Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Lite, fast, climbs unbelievably

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    Ridden for 5 years and not a single problem, this bike is great and has withstood my 200+lbs
    Best bike ever owned!

Favorite Trail:   Plains of Abraham

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Giant,

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi front, Rockshox MC3 rear, XT/XTR group, Thompson, WTB

Submitted by Bruce a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    Been riding a Truth for over 10 years. It is certainly one of the top(3) XC Bikes ever made. This bike is built smart engineering, uses the highest quality materials and rides like it too. Technical climbing and fast single track is were it excels. Also Ellsworth does an exceptional job with warranty issues and customer service. The customer service and warranty department are accessible, very fair, and quick to solve any problems that you might have.

Bottom Line:
    A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. If you want the best and a company to stands behind it, go with Ellsworth and get a Truth.

Favorite Trail:   T1

Similar Products Used:   Canonndale, Voodoo

Bike Setup:   XTR, Chris King, Fox both ends. All black

Submitted by eddie kryk a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2009

Strengths:    Quality frame Point and shoot handling Can be built up to a
    lightweight bike if desired

Weaknesses:    Stand over height but that has been changed for 2010

Bottom Line:
    I have an 09 racer x that is a helluva bike in its own right The Ellsworth is a bit quicker in tight singletrack
    and climbs as well as the Titus The Ellie loves to go fast
    and is pretty stable at speed I have just ordered a 2010 Truth with full Xtr so after some miles I will review that
    bike

Favorite Trail:   Any that challenges you

Purchased At:   Off of MTBR Marketpl

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlite Ventana El Feugo Titus Racer X

Bike Setup:   08 frame F100RLC Crossmax SLs Magura Martas XT and Sram Thomson post and stem King headset and Monkeylite bar

Submitted by semalmberg a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Great customer service in my opinion. Great all around bike. Can be configured as a decent trail bike OR a XC racer just by swapping wheels/tires. Very smooth, efficient suspension. Never used lockout on the rear - no need, especially with pro-pedal.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet. Great bike for it's intended purpose.

Bottom Line:
    My warranty story: This is my 2nd Truth frame, which I just got replaced. My 2003 frame broke low down on the seat-stay. In 2003 Ellsworth still had a lifetime warranty. They replaced it with a 2009 model (front triangle) which has seen MUCH evolution since 2003, all for the better ... higher BB, angles a smidge relaxed, more standover, longer wheelbase. The whole ordeal, from the time I sent in my broken frame until I received the new frame from Ellsworth, took all of 10 DAYS!!! I couldn't believe it! I got great personalized service from everyone I dealt with at Ellsworth AND Wrench Science. This is a great all around bike that does almost everything well at ~25 lbs. It's not a hard-core trail bike so don't expect it to be. I highly recommend this bike, and based on my experience it seems their customer service is much improved over some of the other posters here.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Moab

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back, Univega, Raleigh

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR, Fox TALAS, Fox Float R Pro-Pedal, Thomson, TRUVATIV, Kenda

Submitted by michael9218 a Cross Country Rider from Alpharetta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    Incredible riding XC bike. Does everything well. Light and nimble, soaks up bumps and climbs like a hardtail. Very nimble.

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding this bike for 5 years with no issue. I couldn't be more satisfied with this frame. The bike is an absolute joy to ride. Hopefully I won't have an issue with the frame strength. If it does, I'll replace with another. This frame is too good to replace.

Favorite Trail:   Chickopee, Blankets

Purchased At:   IE Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Vintage 8 speed XTR, Rockshox SID Team, Avid Arch Supreme V brakes, Speeddream custom wheels(Chris King hubs). 23.5 lb bike.

Submitted by jonstoops a Weekend Warrior from Waco, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, great geometry, about everything you can think of...

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
    Best bike I've ever owned. I'm a faster and more capable rider on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Vortex

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 1, Specialized Epic

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 100 RL, Hayes 9 Hydros, XT/XTR crank, shifters & derailleurs, Rockshox MC 3.3 (came OEM and I love it), Nevegal in the front, Crossmark in the back, Mavic/XT wheelset

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from Canberra Australia

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    The way it climbs, the way it descends, the way it makes me look like a better rider!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    I was worried when I read these reviews just after having taken delivery of the frame. Thought I was going to have a broken bike and bad warranty issues, but six months of lugging my 95kg on Stromlo, Majura etc on average 3 times per week and not one issue, Nothing.

The bike makes me look good, and is by far the best dually I've ever owned. I couldn't do last years 24 hr, and a fast riding mate broke his bike right at the start. he took the Truth out and thumped out fast laps. On an unfamiliar bike.

I don't jump or do drops, and I chose a bike that didn't need to meet those requirements. maybe that is why it is still running sweet.

Friend with an Evolve loves his and has zero issues with it, and he does like a bit of air under him, and has had the bike down the world class downhill course.

I'd like to say that perhaps skill is the missing ingredient, but then I have very little and my bike is fine.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Bike Culture

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Cake, Fisher Hi Fi, various hardtails and my Surly 1x

Bike Setup:   Fox F100RLC 15mm, XTR / XR, King headset and rear hub, Hadley front hub, Thomson seatpost, Ritchey carbon bars etc

Submitted by cleptich a Cross Country Rider from El Centro

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth suspension that works. Sealed Bearings last forever and require no maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Broke the frame back in 2004 (after four years). The frame cracked on the seat tube below the gusset. Factory and LBS (Finish Line Pro Bike Shop) worked together to resolve the problem.

Bottom Line:
    Back in 2000 when I was researching a bike that worked and wasn't someone's (any other brand) experiment. The Truth stood out with the four bar linkage and Horst Link. Now look at the industry, everyone has some sort of copy.

This is a race bike meant to be light and fast. Not heavy and bomb proof. If you treat it right it will last some time.

It is unfortunate what I read about the customer service at Ellsworth. I haven't had the same experience. Maybe Ellsworth should improve and maybe customers need to remember that customer service reps are people too.

See you on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Dirt

Purchased At:   Finish Line Pro Bike

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude circa 1990.

Bike Setup:   Fox air up front and out back. Plush

Submitted by Sammy Al-doory a Weekend Warrior from Akron,ohio USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    climbs well

Weaknesses:    hard to get good fit poor customer service. company allows questionable shop to carry its products

Bottom Line:
    When I bought this bike,The rear derailluer/cage was too small.andthe rear wheel was not dished properly. Beyond Bikes Made me pay for the shipping on the derailleur and never reimbursed me for the money I had to spend on the wheel dishing.Also, during the sales pitch, Kerry who I believe is a sales manager,says to me "Ellsworth is the only frame in the shop that I will buy back fom you if you don't like it" Right. When I mentioned this, I heard a tirade you wouldn't believe. Needless to say this never happened.
    I can't ride thisbike on anything but general use trails and for errands. There are too many stories about broken frames and dishonored warranties. I don't want to have to deal with their customer "service"

Favorite Trail:   towpath

Purchased At:   3500 beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   fisher sugar

Bike Setup:   xt

Submitted by Todd Smith a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    Solid Welds, Light, Frame Design and Customer Service

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
    Wow.. I can't believe those slams on Ellsworth CS. I bought a 05 Truth on Ebay and then I found a crack at the top tube/seat tube. Called Ellsworth CS and the warranty guy Kevin gave me a RA# for a "No Fault Replacement". This was a week before the Interbike show! Ellsworth received the frame on Friday the day before Interbike. Then I receievd my frame with a new front triangle for the grand total of $500 3 weeks after I sent it out. That's with the shop shut down for one week to attend Interbike. Tony Ellsworth even emailed me back a few times regarding my frame, super fast replys too. GREAT COMPANY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE..... O Ya, it rides awesome too!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Hawaii

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed, Trek and Kona

Bike Setup:   Fox 100mm Terra Logic, XTR, Chris King

Submitted by Scott Adams a Racer from Ahwatukee, AZ, Maricopa

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    Suspension efficiency, superb handling under varied conditions

Weaknesses:    This is my second Ellsworth, the first was stolen and I stayed with the Brand but was subject to Absolutely Horrible customer service at Ellsworth, I actually got called an F**ker by the warranty x 208 him for asking about a warranty return on a bent Shock stay after 5 rides and a minor crash to my second Ellsworth. It took over 6 weeks for Airpark and Ellsworth to get me the crash replacement even though the factory stated that it should be "a couple of days" and the shop had several medium frames on the wall they could have poached the part from. Tony Ellsworth totally ignored my voicemail as well, I won't buy another $5000 bike from Ellsworth and can only hope to run into Tony or Cust svc. at a race to give them some personal feedback.

Bottom Line:
    Find another brand ! Seriously dissapointed in spending $5000 on my second Ellsworth and getting cussed at by customer service after 6 weeks to replace a part??? come on Ellsworth get it together or just license your suspension to someone who appreciates those of us who are willing to drop $5K on a bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mormon/National

Purchased At:   Airpark Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Mavic SLR's, Avid Juicy 7, Manitou R7 Platinum,

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Chameleon-like personna. The near-perfect blend for xc racing, weekend trails, endurance events. Smooth and easy. Makes an average guy better.

Weaknesses:    Dialing in the set up was more involved than I've experienced on any other machine. Fine line between euphoria and frustration.

Bottom Line:
    I am amazed to read the many recent posts regarding frame breaks. I checked mtbr before purchasing the Truth in '04 and (wrongly) figured the frame issues had been adequately resolved. It happened to me in August this year: full on seat tube crack. Took 2 months and many calls/emails to get the replacement. Initially, Ellsworth sent a used frame. I sent it back with assurances that sloppy seconds isn't my thing. From what I gather, I should consider myself lucky the new frame came in as quickly as it did. In the meantime, I returned to my '00 Fisher Sugar, which remains bulletproof despite numerous epic rides and races. Seriously considering the purchase of a Cannondale Scalpel. Test rode one recently and found it remarkable.

Purchased At:   Santa Fe

Similar Products Used:   Usual suspects.

Bike Setup:   XT this, XTR that

Submitted by Oliver a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    Light, fast, excellent suspension, anodized paint is durable, good customer service at Ellsworth

Weaknesses:    Frame strength

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent XC racing bike. It handles singletrack beautifully. The suspension, when compared to an Epic, is superior on descents and rocky/rooty sections, but lags slightly on the climbs, due to Specialized's Brain platform.

My bike was an '02, but after five years of hard riding, the frame succumbed to fatique and cracked first at the swing arm by the bottom bracket, then at the brake welds on the seat stay, and finally on lower down tube. All cracks occurred in the 5th season within a short time of one another. Ellsworth customer service responded with excellent service, and parts were sent within a couple of weeks. Due to '07s redesign, I had to pay approx. $280 for the Fox Float shock replacement, which I believe is quite reasonable. The new frame colours (mine is red velvet), are simply gorgeous.

If you're a racer looking for a sweet ride and don't want a McBike, the Truth is a fine choice. Ellsworth customer service is excellent. Of note, however, is the warranty has changed from lifetime to two years, so be certain that your riding style suits the frame, otherwise you'll be out a large chunk of change. If you're a heavier rider who likes small drops or jumps, go for the more multi-purpose Epiphany.

Favorite Trail:   Three Stage