Diamondback XSL Trail XC Full Suspension

3.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by tabbitt a Downhiller from provo, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    just about everything on this bike rocks. hayes brakes, rockshox forks and it gives you the option of an ISCG which is frickin sweet. the frame is built well and strong.

Weaknesses:    none that are apperent.

Bottom Line:
this bike rocks! it climbs exceptionally well, hell i could climb a telephone pole with this thing. and it decends even better. the frame is awesome cuz there are so many things you can do to make it one sick bike. the possibilities are endless.

Favorite Trail:   sundance

Purchased At:   a good friend

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300, specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   rock shox lyrik forks, avid code 203mm brakes, race face atlas single speed crank with mrp chain guide, mavic deemax wheels,schwalbe dirty dan tires, fox dhx 5.0 rear shock.

Submitted by rich a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    Good components set for price.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle, Hayes Nine rear brake

Bottom Line:
Good components for the price. However the rear triangle is very weak. I'm 165lbs and have broken the triangle 3 times in 4 years, on moderate/light terrain. Bike probably has about 2K miles on it. Now that it's now longer in warranty I'm trying to decided what to do with it. Hayes-nine rear brake has also failed twice (leaking fluid). Most likely will try to pick up new frame on Ebay and transfer components, unless there's a replacement triangle that would fit someone knows about. I will avoid DB for the rear triangle issues.

Favorite Trail:   286

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M7000

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Xizang11 a Cross Country Rider from Southwest VA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    Plush, adjustable travel; very stout frame; quiet suspension action; versatility

Weaknesses:    Stock shock; heavy wheels; no disc brakes

Bottom Line:
I've been riding my 2006 model as my main rig for over 3 years. I haven't had any of the paint, frame, or rear triangle issues some of the other reviewers have mentioned. I have no complaints at all about my XSL Trail. I recently bought a Sortie 3 because Diamondback has proven it's worth to me, and because I could buy the Sortie for less than it would have cost me to continue upgrading the XSL. I would recommend it to anybody looking for an all mountain ride or trail bike. The geometry isn't ideal for XC stuff, but it's great on decents. In fact, this will probably end up as my girlfriend's bike (If I call it that, I can keep it. She won't ride it anyway!)

Favorite Trail:   Beartree

Purchased At:   Boyds

Similar Products Used:   Old school Diamondback and GT hardtails (from the pre-bankruptcy days for both), sortie, LTS, i-drive

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek wheels, Ritchey cockpit, Panaracer Fire XC 2.1s, avid bb7 discs, Rocco Air R

Submitted by bikemikemc a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive. Decent component group for price range.

Weaknesses:    Flawed suspension design exacerbated by weak welds. Rear triangle was replaced twice. Broke the frame 5/1/09. Huge disappointment. Many miles of cross country riding but frames should not break.

Bottom Line:
See product weakness for more details. I weigh around 220 and ride twice a week from 1-2 hours each time. Strictly cross country without drops and frame breaking stress. Unfortunately the frame still broke. I noticed about a year ago that the paint was starting to flake around the weld in the center part of the bike. Bike Shop gave me a wait and see suggestion. I waited and today I saw my frame break. I have traveled hundreds of miles through alpine and desert on this beast and it is a travesty to lose it to a broken frame. I also had the rear triangle replaced because it broke about a year ago. Any frame, diamond back or not, that doesn't provide a solid seat tube design is suspect. Perhaps Diamondback has redeemed itself with the Sortie. I don't know.

Favorite Trail:   All of them-especially the skinny ones

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Giant & Trek.

Bike Setup:   XT & XTR Combination. Revelation fork (love it)

Submitted by hari001 a Weekend Warrior from albama

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hi,
Jimmy from Canada.Changing the way you see things can also change your reality. You can create your own rules for changing your reality.
Jimmy
[url=http://used.freecarforum.com]Used Cars[/url]

Used Cars

Favorite Trail:   h

Submitted by Oneplumber a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    Bought new in '05. Ride weekly for last 4 yrs. Im 160lb, 40+ yrs old. Grind up the hills and bomb down. Suspension seems to handle what I throw at it. OE Shifters & derailleurs still intact. Hydro brakes are awesome. Pads replaced once. tires once.

Weaknesses:    Rear Swingarm blows. So far It's broken twice. First the aluminum rear wheel connection piece on brake side. They sent me a new frame. Then the weld separated at the lower swingarm to bottom bracket weld. (waiting for another new one). Also the rear shock mount bolt is crap. Bends like a banana. replaced with hardened bolt. Stock chain broke within the first 20 miles.

Bottom Line:
Good beginner bike. needed to get this bike to know what to watch out for on the next one. Bike is solid except for the rear swingarm assembly. DB needs to work on that. Gotta say... DB DID send new replacements when thier parts broke. Kudos DB !

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   Reseda Bicycles

Bike Setup:   All stock. Hydro-brakes. Fox on rear. Marzocchi on front. replaced the crappy grips.

Submitted by Kupe a Cross Country Rider from Carrollton, Tx USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Strengths:    Fairly good suspension.
Fair brakes.

Weaknesses:    I'm 6-4 and weigh 235, 65 years old. Salesman told me it was the right bike for my height and weight.
Frame broke in half while going downhill in fairly rough trail
Raleigh refused to honor the warranty.
READ the warranty, it sucks! It says virtually thaat if you buy the bike and sit on it, the warranty is voided.
Will NEVER buy another bike from Raleigh.

Bottom Line:
Will NEVER buy another Raleigh bike.

Favorite Trail:   Arbor Hills, Plano Tx.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except for extended handlebars.

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    Forks, Brakes, good overall components.

Weaknesses:    Weight...

Bottom Line:
I'm a big rider at 6'2, 230+lbs and this bike has done well for me. I haven't done any big jumps yet on it but for trail riding I have been very happy with it. A little on the heavy side compared to my buddies Specialized FSR but I'm not a weight weenie so I don't care. Brakes are awesome. You can stop on a dime with those hydros. Marzocchi Fork soaks up the bumps. Great bike for a beginner/intermediate rider.

Similar Products Used:   GT, Specialized

Bike Setup:   LX - stock setup

Submitted by Erik Vehmeyer from Garden Grove, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Good quality name brand parts, smooth rapid fire shifters, great fox rear shock and fork, light frame

Weaknesses:    sits up a little high

Bottom Line:
This is great full suspension mountain bike for novice riders who really want to start getting aggresive in the sport.I am 12 and about 115 pounds at 5' 4". It has all quality name brand parts by WBT, Shimano, and TruVativ. Great buy for the money.

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Maverick XC (I had for 3 weeks but the returned because the brakes failed.), Specailized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock except I changed out the rim brakes for some shimano mechanicals

Submitted by Harold A Baker Jr from Hanover, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    So far the frame has handled my large frame, 260 pds, not bad for a full suspension bike. Suspension once again seems to handle my heavier than normal weight!

Weaknesses:    Bike fish tails a little, could be my first time on a full-suspension bike!

Bottom Line:
So far so go, but only time will tell.

Favorite Trail:   Rockburn & Patapsco Parks

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Good Store

Similar Products Used:   Had a Raleigh M60 for 5 years, rode the hell out it. Once again was surprised that the Rock Shock Judy (cheap) held up so long.

Bike Setup:   All LX parts, etc.

Submitted by losso s a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    Fork, Brakes, actually most of the components are good for the money

Weaknesses:    gets to squeeky at times broken shifter, no biggy

Bottom Line:
this is not quite the same as the us version, colour scheme is different to, but so far i havent been able to find the xsl pro on the site. retails for 2200 over here picked it up for 1420 after some haggling as it was a demo.
for 1400 bucks it has to be the best full sus. bike, even at 2200 aussie dollars the equipment on the bike is of very high quality. i got the large size (20") and its VERY large!, feels like its twice as big as my 19.5" trek, yet im suprised at how light it seems. So far i havent broken anything on it and im 6'3" and 95kgs, i find as long as i keep the lube up to all the pivot points about every month or 2 its good as gold

Favorite Trail:   renren

Similar Products Used:   trek

Bike Setup:   standard aussie version: (called xsl pro)comes with mx comp eta fork, hayes hydros, lx front, xt rear, maxiss tyres, dh19 rims

Submitted by TIM BAILEY a Weekend Warrior from BAKERSFIELD,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    Well balanced

Bottom Line:
Of all the (MOUNTAIN BIKES)I have shopped for this one is the best buy for the buck even at $1100.00-$1800.00 ...I just happend to get lucky and worked hard and won my (DiamondBack XSL Trail) on ebay in a Auction..Even before that I went to (Action Sports) with $1500.00 in my pocket and could not find anything with (HYD-DISK BRAKES) for less then $2000.00.. what really got me was the sales people would not give a inch!! And thats all they have left is buyer/seller support !! Soon everyone will realize the savings by buying on the internet and these shops are as good as gone...

Favorite Trail:   ALL OF THEM

Purchased At:   EBAY - AUCTION

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by sal knutson a Weekend Warrior from reno, nv 89509

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    frame, brakes, seat post, pedals, front forks, bar,

Weaknesses:    chain

Bottom Line:
I like the bike but the only problem it has the chain comes loose and the rear suspencion adjuster breaks easy. if you looking for bike with good brakes and firm frame this bike will do the job of downhills and cross country for the price of one bike, I have use this bike on Northstar and mamonth and flume Trains in nevada it a good bike I only have a upgrade the tire and made alot different in the trail. Kenda tires check with you bike shop. The bike shop were I bought the bike is very help. So get this bike you will not recret it

Favorite Trail:   flume nevada

Purchased At:   trix bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Pocatello Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2004

Strengths:    Everything about it, I took a hugh crash transitioning from trail to pavement with those sweet Hayes hydros and stopped instantly from about 10 mph to 0 flipping bike and hitting pavement hard. Bike had a couple of scratches but ZER0 damage, NOT A BROKEN OR BENT NOTHING. Easy rear suspension dial in

Weaknesses:    Not a one so far that wasn't just an adjustment here or there, Bike may stand a bit high for some people, make sure your comfortable with that. Give the Marzochie suspension and Hayes hydros time to brake in before full benefit

Bottom Line:
Good solid bike, I weigh 180lbs and slammed this bike into the pavement without any damage. Great on the trails, and a great climber The Hayes hydros shell out very smooth braking action with the Marzochie suspension absorbing what ever comes there way. This bike is very well equipped, If your thinking about buying one just do it. I gave this bike a 4 Flamming Chilis because nobody gets a 5

Purchased At:   Scotts Ski Shop