Diamondback Sortie Black XC Full Suspension

4.55/5 (22 Reviews)

Weapons grade aluminum Sortie 5" trail frame w/ knuckle box suspension platform, taper head tube, 142X12mm thru axle drop outs, Fox 32 Float RLC Fit 140mm fork, taper 15QR, Fox Float RP23 XV rear shock w/Kashima coat, Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys trail triple crankset, XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur, Easton EA90XC wheelset and Shimano XTR hydraulic disc brakes.

Submitted by Joe Hart

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    5" of travel, great components, and great price!!!

Weaknesses:    Cant find any yet.....I am being honest, I have had it about a month and I am still looking for something I dont like.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a beast going up and coming down! with 5" of travel there isnt much it cant handle. Components are excellant, Fox CTD rear shock and Fox CTD fork. I ride a lot of Northern California trails and I love this bike. Diamondback gets a bad name for its lower end bikes but this is a different beast, it has many of my friends who ride name brand bikes thinking twice.

Submitted by pfox90 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Knucklebox susp. is a great design, great climber w/ no bob, VERY plush on the descents.

Weaknesses:    The weight- knucklebox susp. is a heavier design than others, many stock parts are heavy including crank, wheelset, and tires.

Bottom Line:
The DB sortie is a great value in it's price class compared to similarly equipped bikes, they offer a good value for the money. The stock parts that came on it I really am not too fond of, mine is the '11 model and came with deore which doesn't shift crisply IMO. After swapping out the drivetrain with SRAM, changing the tires and crankset it takes the weight down to a great all around trail bike. The knucklebox susp. works just as the research says it does with little to no bob on climbing, with a nice propedal feature as well as the 3 settings. The downhills are confident inspiring with it soaking up everything.

All in all it is a great value for the money and I would highly recommend getting one. After a few minor upgrades to the rotational weight, this bike is a great all arounder.

Bike Setup:   DB Sortie 2 frame, X0 drivetrain, FSA K-force light, Easton Haven bars

Submitted by Trey

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    2012 model front and rear suspension is air pressure sprung with adjustable hydraulic damping, easy for biker to tune to the trail. Also the propedal function on the rear has three settings for a firmer or softer ride depending on the trail. Hydraulic disc brakes front and rear grab great with a one finger pull. The knuckle box suspension setup is nice and provides little to no bob on the trails. The weight is also much little than I expected, and makes hill climbing smooth combined with the low gearing. Bike also came with a pump for the shock, sag gauge and torx wrenches.

Weaknesses:    I have found none to date.

Bottom Line:
Great deal, compare components to other trek fuel ex and kona tanuki bikes and you will see the value in this bike. I had a KHS hardtail for years before this and made the transition the full suspension, wow what a difference.

Submitted by leon a Weekend Warrior from edmonton ab canada

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2012

Strengths:    I love the DB sortie 1 bike it handles great is not too heavy climbs well good gruppo of parts chain line was ok etc im an ex bike mechanic and can say it came ready to ride out of the box good tires spokes tensioned cables pre stretched etc

Weaknesses:    never had any complaints until today it felt funny and seemed to be squatting I then noticed the top tube has a vertical crack near the weld on the thickest part of the frame..., t is almost all the way thru and this bike is done now and never to be ridden again .. perhaps weapons grade aluminum is too hard ?? its not my firts bike and it was used gently

Bottom Line:
dont know what to say ..thought it was a lifetime bike ! took my chances buying it online and the seller is no longer active on ebay so am prob sheite out of luck for warranty ..my bad ...just wondering if im the only one ?

Favorite Trail:   elk island

Similar Products Used:   specialized ,thompson , rocky mountian , proctor, etc

Bike Setup:   stock parts

Submitted by derrick424 a Weekend Warrior from Robbin, North Carolina, United States

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    Very smooth ride and great shifting and stopping power. Lightweight, handles very well, great climbing ability as well as amazing descending ability.

Weaknesses:    The front Tora 289 forks don't have a lot of adjust-ability, but can be upgraded. Other than that None!

Bottom Line:
This is a Great bike!!! I got it on sale at Performance Bicycle in Cary, NC. The Knuckle Box Technology is great, it's like you don't ever bottom the shock out. The shifter were a little different than what I'm use to but with a little getting use to they are great. Overall if you looking for a great heavy duty XC bike or All-Mountain with 5" of travel this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   uwharrie

Purchased At:   Performance bicycle

Similar Products Used:   I raced and rode Trek 4500 HT, shifts gears about the same but much better ride.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for tires, I changed them out for Mountain King 2.2.

Submitted by neeeko a Weekend Warrior from DukeCity, NM

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Upgradeable, Strong, Light/Responsive, Great Deal!

Weaknesses:    It was fine when stock but improved tremendously when I upgraded just about everything. Dont know if thats a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for whatever you ride with exception of downhill. I commute ten miles to work daily on pavement and hit up my local rocky trails at least 3 times a week. Its fast and rides as smooth as my Caddy. My Sortie has got me through jumps, drops, and plenty of tumbles. I purchased it because i got a great deal and because its got the same frame as the Sortie Black, which costs over $5000!! Meaning I can upgrade allday and not be asking myself if its worth it or not. If you can get a previous year model discounted like I did, you'll have a permanent grin like i do.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Upgraded 2008 DiamondBack Sortie 1..RockShox Tora 302 U-turn 5in Travel..RockShox Bar 2.1 Rear Shock..Mavic CrossTrail Tubless Wheels..2.35 Kenda Nevagels..Avid BB7 Disc Brakes W/Avid Speed Dial Levers..All Shimano Deore Drivetrain..Easton MonkeyLite SL Carbon Bar..Specialized Lock Grips..Truvativ XR 60mm Stem..Easton EA30 Seatpost..Fizik Kium Aliante Saddle..Premium Products Slim Pedals..Weight 35.2 lbs

Submitted by Box Rod a Cross Country Rider from Douglasville, GA.

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2010

Strengths:    Fox Fork, Knucklebox/Fox Rear suspension, Sram X-9 Group, Easton EA50 group (Stem, Seatpost, Handlebars), Great Frame, Carves up Singletrack, Climbs really well.

Weaknesses:    Slight flex in the rear triangle.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I have yet to find any trail that I can't have a blast on! With 5" of smooth efficient suspension travel you would think it may not climb well but this bike goes up anything. With the wheel swap and UST tires the bike weighs in at just under 27 lbs. so I can spend a lot of time on this bike.

The fox fork and RP23 are smmoth and easy to setup. I'm a 200lbs. rider and I run the RP23 with ProPedal on 1 with 200psi and still get nice low speed bump handling and have yet to bottom it out.

The Sram X-9 Shifters/Rear der. work fast and smooth, Juicy 5 brakes are great, Truvativ cranks and BB have yet to let me down.

This is a great Cross Country bike that will tear it up and still be able to handle some good drops and jumps. I have put a years worth of riding on this bike with only minor maint. so its my GO TO bike for whatever I ride.

My only issue and I am only aware of it when my friend tells me about it while riding behind me is the slight flex in the rear triangle. But my Sortie is a 2009 model and that has been changed on the 2010 and 2011 frames, thus the reason for my extensive search for one of those frames so I can change everything over and keep tearing it up on a Diamondback Sortie!!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo State Park

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX-8, Felt Redemtion 3

Bike Setup:   Swapped out to Mavic Crossmax SL wheel set with UST Wolverines at 35psi, other than that its as purchased.

Submitted by captnfantastic a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    Solid parts. Knucklebox suspension is very plush and works great. The fox fork and the rp2 rear shock is a solid combo that do not take much maintenance. Frame looks sweet, sexy lines.

Weaknesses:    tires are only size 2.0 and the rear triangle won't clear a larger tire. Suspension pivots need to be checked every few rides mine loosen every 30 hours or so.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike. I got a good deal on it from a guy who was too tall for it. I ride it a couple times a week to supplement my cyclocross and road bike training. I ride hard and it is a solid platform. The rear knucklebox suspension is one of the most plush smooth rear suspensions i've every ridden. For the price I payed I couldn't ask for a better setup. If you get a chance to get one jump on it.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Craigslist find

Similar Products Used:   yeti. GT. Gary Fisher. Intense. Specialized.

Bike Setup:   stock. eggbeaters.

Submitted by shuperstar a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    Good components. Sweet suspension once its setup for your style of riding.

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of the stock pedals but no biggie. Seems a little on the heavy side but it shouldn't stop you from checking this bike out.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I got a killer deal and decided to buy it. Diamondback did a really good job on this bike. Once the suspension is setup correctly to your weight and you find what you like on the rebound, its an awesome ride. I recommend this bike to riders intermediate to advanced. The frame is nice and solid (I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs). It's a sick bike!

Favorite Trail:   many

Similar Products Used:   Specialized XC

Bike Setup:   2010 Sortie 3 (stock)

Submitted by lemon toad a Weekend Warrior from rotorua new zealand

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    light and strong im heavy and this bike is great

Bottom Line:
awesome

Favorite Trail:   dragons tail

Purchased At:   Bike Vegas rotorua

Bike Setup:   19 inch shorter steam 8 inch disk at the front

Submitted by mtbr35 a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    Good entry level full suspension bike

Weaknesses:    not the lightest

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Rides great. Metallic blue looks sweet. If all you need is 4 inches, go for it.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   taylorsbikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Recon XC Solo Air, Float R Shock, wtb speedisc, just stock

Submitted by PrajnaVision a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, well built, active & well-balanced suspension

Weaknesses:    Pedal induced bob, heavy, brand name

Bottom Line:
I bought an '08 (4" travel) version off eBay after I cracked my last frame and while I waited for parts to build an Intense Tracer VP. Basically, I was looking for something to ride in the interim, with the complete intention of selling it once my Intense was complete. Initially, I was pretty hesitant about the frame given the lackluster brand-name and weight. After having ridden the bike on a number of technical trails though, it has really grown on me - so much so that I've decided to keep it as a second bike. The frame is very well constructed and the ride is similarly solid with minimal lateral flex. Despite having only 4" of travel, the ride is very compliant and forgiving if properly setup. That said, the Sortie 3 is more at home going down than going up. The frame is rather heavy and there is some pedal-induced suspension bob (which can be minimized with the pro-pedal feature of the Fox RP2 shock) Additionally, if you ride with any amount of body-english, expect to bruise your calves on the 'knucklebox' linkage occasionally.

In summary, if you're looking for a solid, well built bike, that has good suspension action and won't break the bank, grab a frame on eBay while you still can.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, San Juan Trail, Devil's Gluch, Suntop & Skookum Flats

Similar Products Used:   Maverick ML6, Intense 5.5, Cannondale Jekyll, Klein Palomino

Bike Setup:   A bunch of parts I had laying around: SRAM X9, Fox Talas, etc

Submitted by bobbyh1wa a Weekend Warrior from las vegas

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    it feels great,17inch med. very comfortable ride shifting is smoooth.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great, I just got it and only rode it afew time but I am very inpressed! It feels rock solid and very light at the same time. I cant wait to get on the trail and let it rip!

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   gt full suspention

Submitted by DavidNeiles a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    This is one killer value and a stout frame. Able to ride really aggresive and hit drops and still race it in a xc race. Low center of gravity gives the bike a really nice feel and balance, especially carving tight, twisty singletrack, dodging trees left and right and it is so easy to through the bike around. Climbs really well and no pedal loss in the rear suspension. I rarely use propedal and just love the way it pedals. No pedal loss at all, it is like you are getting a boost forward. Feels like you have limitless travel and you never feel the bike bottom out. I rarely bottom it out, have about 3mm of travel left in the rear usually. I run 135-140ish psi in the rear @# 160lbs.

Love the Knuckle Box design.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. None, I just wish it had tabs for hammerschimdt.

Bottom Line:
Must buy this bike. It is a killer value and nobody else in the market can beat the price for the parts you get on the Sortie 3. If you don't warrant a big 6" all mountain bike than get the Sortie. It can do it all and gives you a lighter, faster climbing bike with plenty of travel and good times.

I have loved every minute on this bike and can say it is the best bike I have every owned, dare I say every ridden!

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn, Chunky section

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   DB Mission 2, Schwinn 4banger, Tomac Eli, Lots of other fullys. Mostly 4bar linkages. My favorite!!

Bike Setup:   This is a review of the Sortie Black, not the Sortie 3. Check out my blog on the Diamondback forums on this site.

Submitted by falalotguy a Weekend Warrior from Milford, Mi

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    First of all with the price on this bike,you cant go wrong. Go on diamondback web page and look at the setup. Fox shox all around, sram x-9, 317 mavic rims ect.

Weaknesses:    none so far, seat post little week for clydesdale like me. no big deal.

Bottom Line:
So far this bike is great. Set post needs to be upgraded, easton seat post is weak, no big deal. Other than that i ride hard and am a clydesdale 260pounds and give a bike a good work out. so fair so good.

Favorite Trail:   tree farm & the milf

Purchased At:   town&country bike &

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension. have road demo specilized full, GT full, Gaint full and also Fisher full.

Bike Setup:   Stock

How can Diamondback Sortie Black 2013 new be selling for $1499 ?

Hello, I was looking for Diamondback Sortie 1, they start at around $1800 for 2013 model number 1, and go up from there, the most expensive "Sortie Black" is something like $4000, for example [url=http://www.rei.com/product/848512/diamondback-sortie-black-29er-bike-2013]Diamondback Sortie Black 29 ... Read More »

2010 Sortie Black 650b?

Has anyone successfully converted a 2010 sortie black to a 650b?Read More »

Diamondback Sortie Black 29er

Hi There, I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some information as to what's the best way to selling a New Diamondback Sortie Black 29er. The bike is still in the box and is a small (15.5") I won this bike at a charity event and simply have no use for it since I'm in Florida. What's a reasonab ... Read More »

Diamondback Sortie Black 29er 15.5" small

New (to me) 2010 Sortie Black Custom Review

I just built a 2010 Sortie Frame (an EBAY special) using parts that I took from my 2008 Mission Custom (sold the frame) Why did I do this? I wanted a bike that climbed a little better and felt that I really never used the full 6 inches of suspension - I felt that I was lugging it up long climbs f ... Read More »