Diamondback Sortie 3 XC Full Suspension

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

The Sortie was designedTo be an XC/all-mountain machine, capable of handling long, abusive singleTrack rides. For 2012, Diamondback has redesignedThe rearTriangle, making it siffer and stronger without adding any weight. Outfitted with Diamondback's Knuckle Box suspension design,The Sortie is an efficient rideThat can still handleThe rough stuff. Frame: SortieTrail 5" 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/Taper HeadTube / HydroformedTopTube, Butted / Formed DownTube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay b

Submitted by Box Rod a Cross Country Rider from Douglasville, GA.

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2010

Strengths:    Fox Fork, Knucklebox/Fox Rear suspension, Sram X-9 Group, Easton EA50 group (Stem, Seatpost, Handlebars), Great Frame, Carves up Singletrack, Climbs really well.

Weaknesses:    Slight flex in the rear triangle.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I have yet to find any trail that I can't have a blast on! With 5" of smooth efficient suspension travel you would think it may not climb well but this bike goes up anything. With the wheel swap and UST tires the bike weighs in at just under 27 lbs. so I can spend a lot of time on this bike.

The fox fork and RP23 are smmoth and easy to setup. I'm a 200lbs. rider and I run the RP23 with ProPedal on 1 with 200psi and still get nice low speed bump handling and have yet to bottom it out.

The Sram X-9 Shifters/Rear der. work fast and smooth, Juicy 5 brakes are great, Truvativ cranks and BB have yet to let me down.

This is a great Cross Country bike that will tear it up and still be able to handle some good drops and jumps. I have put a years worth of riding on this bike with only minor maint. so its my GO TO bike for whatever I ride.

My only issue and I am only aware of it when my friend tells me about it while riding behind me is the slight flex in the rear triangle. But my Sortie is a 2009 model and that has been changed on the 2010 and 2011 frames, thus the reason for my extensive search for one of those frames so I can change everything over and keep tearing it up on a Diamondback Sortie!!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo State Park

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX-8, Felt Redemtion 3

Bike Setup:   Swapped out to Mavic Crossmax SL wheel set with UST Wolverines at 35psi, other than that its as purchased.

Submitted by captnfantastic a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    Solid parts. Knucklebox suspension is very plush and works great. The fox fork and the rp2 rear shock is a solid combo that do not take much maintenance. Frame looks sweet, sexy lines.

Weaknesses:    tires are only size 2.0 and the rear triangle won't clear a larger tire. Suspension pivots need to be checked every few rides mine loosen every 30 hours or so.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike. I got a good deal on it from a guy who was too tall for it. I ride it a couple times a week to supplement my cyclocross and road bike training. I ride hard and it is a solid platform. The rear knucklebox suspension is one of the most plush smooth rear suspensions i've every ridden. For the price I payed I couldn't ask for a better setup. If you get a chance to get one jump on it.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Craigslist find

Similar Products Used:   yeti. GT. Gary Fisher. Intense. Specialized.

Bike Setup:   stock. eggbeaters.

Submitted by shuperstar a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    Good components. Sweet suspension once its setup for your style of riding.

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of the stock pedals but no biggie. Seems a little on the heavy side but it shouldn't stop you from checking this bike out.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I got a killer deal and decided to buy it. Diamondback did a really good job on this bike. Once the suspension is setup correctly to your weight and you find what you like on the rebound, its an awesome ride. I recommend this bike to riders intermediate to advanced. The frame is nice and solid (I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs). It's a sick bike!

Favorite Trail:   many

Similar Products Used:   Specialized XC

Bike Setup:   2010 Sortie 3 (stock)

Submitted by PrajnaVision a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, well built, active & well-balanced suspension

Weaknesses:    Pedal induced bob, heavy, brand name

Bottom Line:
I bought an '08 (4" travel) version off eBay after I cracked my last frame and while I waited for parts to build an Intense Tracer VP. Basically, I was looking for something to ride in the interim, with the complete intention of selling it once my Intense was complete. Initially, I was pretty hesitant about the frame given the lackluster brand-name and weight. After having ridden the bike on a number of technical trails though, it has really grown on me - so much so that I've decided to keep it as a second bike. The frame is very well constructed and the ride is similarly solid with minimal lateral flex. Despite having only 4" of travel, the ride is very compliant and forgiving if properly setup. That said, the Sortie 3 is more at home going down than going up. The frame is rather heavy and there is some pedal-induced suspension bob (which can be minimized with the pro-pedal feature of the Fox RP2 shock) Additionally, if you ride with any amount of body-english, expect to bruise your calves on the 'knucklebox' linkage occasionally.

In summary, if you're looking for a solid, well built bike, that has good suspension action and won't break the bank, grab a frame on eBay while you still can.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, San Juan Trail, Devil's Gluch, Suntop & Skookum Flats

Similar Products Used:   Maverick ML6, Intense 5.5, Cannondale Jekyll, Klein Palomino

Bike Setup:   A bunch of parts I had laying around: SRAM X9, Fox Talas, etc

Submitted by DavidNeiles a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    This is one killer value and a stout frame. Able to ride really aggresive and hit drops and still race it in a xc race. Low center of gravity gives the bike a really nice feel and balance, especially carving tight, twisty singletrack, dodging trees left and right and it is so easy to through the bike around. Climbs really well and no pedal loss in the rear suspension. I rarely use propedal and just love the way it pedals. No pedal loss at all, it is like you are getting a boost forward. Feels like you have limitless travel and you never feel the bike bottom out. I rarely bottom it out, have about 3mm of travel left in the rear usually. I run 135-140ish psi in the rear @# 160lbs.

Love the Knuckle Box design.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. None, I just wish it had tabs for hammerschimdt.

Bottom Line:
Must buy this bike. It is a killer value and nobody else in the market can beat the price for the parts you get on the Sortie 3. If you don't warrant a big 6" all mountain bike than get the Sortie. It can do it all and gives you a lighter, faster climbing bike with plenty of travel and good times.

I have loved every minute on this bike and can say it is the best bike I have every owned, dare I say every ridden!

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn, Chunky section

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   DB Mission 2, Schwinn 4banger, Tomac Eli, Lots of other fullys. Mostly 4bar linkages. My favorite!!

Bike Setup:   This is a review of the Sortie Black, not the Sortie 3. Check out my blog on the Diamondback forums on this site.

Submitted by falalotguy a Weekend Warrior from Milford, Mi

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    First of all with the price on this bike,you cant go wrong. Go on diamondback web page and look at the setup. Fox shox all around, sram x-9, 317 mavic rims ect.

Weaknesses:    none so far, seat post little week for clydesdale like me. no big deal.

Bottom Line:
So far this bike is great. Set post needs to be upgraded, easton seat post is weak, no big deal. Other than that i ride hard and am a clydesdale 260pounds and give a bike a good work out. so fair so good.

Favorite Trail:   tree farm & the milf

Purchased At:   town&country bike &

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension. have road demo specilized full, GT full, Gaint full and also Fisher full.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by rmillet a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    5" of Efficient travel(I have the green 09 model, not the red one pictured here) that CLIMBS too, head angle can carve twisties, but is not twitchy.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket a hair low. Minor flex in the long seat stays.

Bottom Line:
DB hooked me up with this at a great price as a warranty replacement for my 9 yr old XTS3 (THANKS DB for great customer service & product support)!!

This bike rocks! The 5" suspension design works very well with the Fox RP23 rear shock. I run the Pro-Pedal on 2 and I don't get any bob climbing seated or standing, yet I can barrel through nasty roots at high speeds and they get sucked up. My pedaling efforts are now rewarded with acceleration (man I didn't know what I was missing)!

The FOX float fork works well too, the first 1" of travel is very soft (sag zone), chatter roots don't exist, then it ramps up and larger roots, ruts etc. get sucked right up.

The SRAM gears shift flawlessly, the gigapipe cranks feel stout and smooth, the WTB Wolverine tires roll FAST at 45psi and hook on hard pack, packed sand (wet roots and loose sand are not too great though).

I love this bike. I won't give it 5 chilis overall simply because I haven't had it that long, and it could be a touch stiffer out back (you only feel it in odd off-camber turns) and higher bottom bracket...but these are MINOR.

The ride is great. I wouldn't recommend for free-ride hucking, but YES for all day trail blazing and laughing at roots and ruts (it manuels well too). It really doesn't feel like a 30lb bike to me either (my old +30 XTS DID).

This is a great trail carving machine, BIG-BANG for the buck! Thanks again DB.

Favorite Trail:   Fast Dry Trails

Purchased At:   Action Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback XTS3 (9yrs of hard riding)

Bike Setup:   As delivered, swapped out to Avid BB7 mech discs for low/no maintenance (bleeding), and kept my XThub Sun Single Track rims (as I weigh 210), although the mavic 317 rims seemed very nice.

Submitted by saxen a Weekend Warrior from boulder colorado

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    price, not only the price i paid, but rather the retail price for this caliber bike is amazing- with the same componets on a trek, gf, yeti ect ect it would cost nearly wice as much. awesome climber for a trail 5 inch bike

Weaknesses:    diamondbacks name, and the breaks, the juicy 5 breaks suck, they stop well but they will not shut up, also a bit on the heavy side for xc, but than again this is not a xc made bike for 09

Bottom Line:
i wanted a different name on my bike- i proformed it from diamondback so i got an amazing deal, and to be honest before i got it i planned on swaping the frame out for a different brand. but, after one ride i was just blown away, it climed very well for a 5 inch travle bike, its amazing on the downhill. i do mostly xc and a bit of dh and this bike just sits in the middle of those so well. all fox has been nice, the tires were great for all around riding, maybe a bit slow for xc but they are deff beefy, i did notice a bit more bounce than my partners element 50 but thats probably due to the extra travle. i really thing DB is coming out with some amazing bikes, i have been nothing but happy with this bike,

if you like only downhill go with the mission 2 for around the same price, if you are only a xc guy or racer go with a different brand or the 5200 dollar sortie black, but if you want a bike that does everything very well and wont break the bank this bike is just killer. many people comment on the bike with something like "they use to be good bikes, sell out brand...yada yada" after one ride many of them have been impressed

it does get a 4 because the avid breaks suck, work great but they will not stay quiet- easy fix. also the bike could be a pound or two lighter, but its not like 29 lbs is all that heavy-

Favorite Trail:   horsetooth

Purchased At:   proformed, i sell th