Diamondback Recoil XC Full Suspension

3.71/5 (41 Reviews)

The Recoil isThe perfect bike forThoseThinking of getting into aggressive mountain biking but don’t wantTo dropThousands of dollars quite yet.The foundation ofThe recoil isThe 6061T6 aluminum frame withThe 4”Tuff Shock Coil rear shock.The front end is supported byThe Suntour XCT 100mm fork with preload adjust.This allows youTo dial inThe forkTo your specific riding needs.TheShimano drivetrain is hardy and reliable. Whether you are just getting back into cycling or stepping upTo

Submitted by cole a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2014

Strengths:    Great parts
1.rockshox tora 289 u-turn 85-130mm travel
2.fox vanilla r rear shock
3.hayes hmx 4 180mm linear pull disc brakes
4.shimano deore cranks and rear derailleur
5.shimano altus shifters and front derailleur
6.weinmann double wall rims

Weaknesses:    Heavy!
1. Tires included wear down fast
2.seat can become irritating after awhile
3. Has 5mm qr axles ):
4.chain sometimes completely misses gears and falls off on big drops
5. Has a 1 1/8 head tube which makes most high end forks obselete due to them being 1 1/8 to 1.5 for stiffness

Bottom Line:
Great bike overall. Just a little heavy and the small axles arent very strong. Dont get me wrong ive done 13 ft drops and rolled away fine but on the more demanding drops the chain likes to drop itself /: i know it says xc bike but it could qualify for enduro or light freeride events and perform well. The reat shock included is a 7.5x2.0 and for more travel you can upgrade to a 7.5x2.25 rear . Also bike still sits really nicely with a 180mm fork on it . Now if you were to uprgade the rear to a 7.5x2.25 it would also be in ratio for a 180mm fork or possibly a 200mm fork but thats pushing the envelope. This bike has light dh possibilities and is incredibily strong so overall i still recommend it to all.

Favorite Trail:   az fins

Duration Product Used:   2months so far

Purchased At:   dicks

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale gemini

Bike Setup:   Dh style lol

Submitted by jimmy

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2014

Strengths:    Greatest bike I have ever had. It has the best brakes and components ever. Great price too. No other bike comes this close for great value and high end type with low end price.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Get it.

Submitted by neil rico

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2014

Strengths:    brakes - fair enough
height - fair enough

Weaknesses:    rear shock

Bottom Line:
after 4 months of using the bike with 1 trail ride on the side and im just using it going to the office everyday i see a hairline crack at the swing arm and the other problem is the bike shop never gives me a refound.

Submitted by Cheesecakeslash

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2013

Strengths:    Softer suspension (coming from a hard tail)
Ok brakes
29er wheels

Weaknesses:    frequent breakages
heavier then a very fat cat

Bottom Line:
When I first got this bike it was alright it ate bumps and small jumps the same. after a little while I snapped the derailleur hanger right off when I hit a small jump not bad not bad fixable. Next thing I know I put a crack in the swing arm and got a refund this bike is a blast while it lasts c: If you want to get it get it! but be careful as if your skill level is beyond then you WILL break it.

Submitted by Flyingbryan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    2013 Recoil Comp
Great price for what you get. Remote front shock lockout. Very comfortable for both the uphill and trail descents. No need for rear lockout due to great design that does not soak up any extra energy. And to top it off this is a great looking bike.

Weaknesses:    2013 Recoil Comp
No water bottle location. But not sure anyone does that these days.
Remote front shock lockout is a little far from grip and no way to remove the bracket to put it on the other side without taking the grip and everything else off first.
Might be just me but seems that the front and rear shifter work opposite as far as shifting up or down.

Bottom Line:
2013 Recoil Comp / Medium

At 47 and having a very old hard tail mountain bike and looking to get excited to get back into riding and this bike has done just that for me.

I was not aware that this model did not have hydraulic brakes but rather cable disk brakes and also this model does not come with a rear shock lockout (both coming on the next model up). But after taking it out I found these breaks did a great job of stopping to the point I am just as happy with the cable disk breaks. And the rear shock lockout is not even needed because of the suspension design. I found even if I had the lockout on the rear I would not use it.

Ok about the bike, I found it to be not to heavy on the climb and the traction is great with just enough suspension in the rear to keep the tire to the ground but not soak up any energy (Who needs a rear lockout with great designs like this). The remote front shock lockout is very nice but it could have been a little closer to the grip. I wanted to move the remote lockout to the left side but the bracket has to slide off the bar so the grip would have to come off both sides so I will just live with it on the right.

Shifting is very smooth but I find it confusing that when pushing one shifter (example front or rear) the gear goes up making it harder to shift, wile pushing the other in the same way does just the opposite. This may be just the way it is on this kind of shifter but I found myself mis-shifting a number of times.

Breaks did not make any noise and worked great but I only have a couple rides to date on them.

I liked the seat an handle bars are perfect for me at 5'10" on a medium bike.

I love this bike and very happy with buying it. I do recommend buying this for anyone looking for this level of bike.

Purchased At:   Direct from DB

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by kurt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    Good price and good components

Weaknesses:    Poor frame design. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike for my son but after one year cracks developed in swing arm at rear welds. Diamondback's service was absolutely terrible. They would not replace the part and couldn't even sell me a new one. Bike has been out of commission for over 6 months with no resolution in sight. My advice- stay away from diamondback.

Favorite Trail:   lebanon hills - minnesota

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   dicks

Similar Products Used:   Marin novato hardtail

Bike Setup:   Kenda tires Rock Shox fork Truvatin crank

Submitted by Eric

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great value for what you were getting. looked solid. and ascended down the hills great.

Weaknesses:    After about 7 months of loving this bike THE FRAME SNAPPED IN HALF! Im now returning this thing and getting my money back :(

Bottom Line:
Overall, bad bike, the components need upgrading, the shock sucks, and the frame snaps after going over a small bump down hill... Save your money and get a solid bike

Submitted by Jake

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Greatly Priced for this quality of bike. Very Solid, rock shox, love the remote lock-out

Weaknesses:    None that I can see so far. possibly weight, but not at all bad

Bottom Line:
Excellent Bike so far. Great for Price. Very good feel to it. I've taken it on several Cross country rides and it's held up very well. Havn't taken any spills yet though. I've even gone down a Downhill trail and No Problem! Weight isn't optimal for climbing but the lock-out helps greatly

Submitted by zerocool762 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    full suspension at a resonable price. Brakes are solid and the remote lock out is very handy on climbs.

Weaknesses:    the seat is alittle uncomfterable and the rear hub is off center in the wheel. oh and the clips for the lines pop off very easy

Bottom Line:
Unlike most of the other people that reviewed this bike I actually have a recoil COMP not just a recoil. there is a difference. The front remote lock out is pretty niffty. The air Rock Shox is alot firmer than I thought it would be. The seat seems like it's more for looks than comfort. I could see the brake and shifter lines would cause the clips to pop off so I just replaced them with cable ties and problem fixed. This is a very capable bike for the price but time will tell how well is stays reliable, but so far so good.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by vspec a Weekend Warrior from Houston,TX

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    The frame is strong a bit on the heavy side but durable. This is a great entry level fs bike. I bash the heck out of this bike from drops to Jumps. I grew up on BMX so i ride this thing like i stole it when im at the trails it handles everything ive thrown at it.

Weaknesses:    Low end components but you get for that you pay for, thats why there are $1,300 bikes and this one is half that.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is an entry level bike with a little cash in this bike it will last. I have had Zero issues with this bike riding on it stock for the past 2yrs. It is the best bang for the buck and I still have under $650 invested in this bike and it rides alot better than i could ever had imagined.

Purchased At:   North west cycles

Bike Setup:   Bontrager RL handlebar, Kalloy Uno as-020 stem 65mm, Race Face XY seat post, Rock Shox Monarch 3.1 mid shock, 2011 Race Face ride XC Crankset w/bb, Sram X5 shifter and x5 rear derailleur, Sram 11-34 Powerglide II Pg 950 9-Speed Cassette 2011, Sram PC 991 9-Speed Chain w/ Powerlink 2011.

Submitted by Briangl92 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Price.
Stock components.
Brakes.
RockShox Tora fork.

Weaknesses:    Brakes glaze and make a ton of noise.
Powder coating underneath rear brake caliper carrier cracked away and I nearly lost my rear brakes in Tahoe.
Frame; swing arm gusset has developed a crack behind the weld.
Weight.

Bottom Line:
Good for a beginner or for someone who takes on the ocassional trail but it doesn't hold up over time. The brakes overheat, the 2009-2010 frames have issues with cracking (mine cracked and is currently being evaluated by DB for replacement), and the brakes are mounted on top of powder coat that's susseptable to cracking away. It can handle fairly tough trails but don't expect it to hold up with continuous hard use.
It is quite heavy for uphill. The major bonus with this bike is its components especially the front and rear suspension. Itd be nice to see more rear travel however. Im constantly bottoming it out. The brakes stop well and are linear but overheat and glaze fairly easily. Perhaps some larger rotors could remedy this.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Tahoe Flume Trail

Purchased At:   Scotts Valley Cycle

Bike Setup:   RockShox Tora, Fox Vanilla R, Shimano gear set and clippless pedals, MX4 brakes, Kenda front tire, Specialized Pro rear tire 2.35"

Submitted by Whumpus a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable feel, very neutral position, there is almost no need to move back on steeper trails, stock drivetrain not bad at all, responds well to small bumps, worth the money

Weaknesses:    Broke 2010 frame, derailleur, and fork within 3 months, rear suspension could be better, not quite strong enough for abuse,20' frame still small for my 6'3" height, rear suspension a bit catchy on bumpy trails

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for its low price, and found the quality to be decent. However, it didn't quite hold up to my type of riding. I broke the 2010 frame, even though I weigh 170, and DB sent me the 2011 frame. After some hassle, I was able to switch some of the parts from the old frame that I wanted, except the rear shock. The setup wasn't bad with a coil rear shock, but unfortunately that didn't work out.

I suggest this bike to anyone who can't afford a pricey bike, but would still like a fs bike. Don't get it if you lean toward the dh/fr type of riding, or if the trails are pretty technical. It will hold up for a while, but the problems begin to stack.

Favorite Trail:   Hulls Gulch

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Bike Setup:   DB Recoil Comp 2011, SRAM X4 shifters w/ SRAM X7 derailleur, Rockshox Tora 289

Submitted by koolshaggy a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension is great, brakes work well, gears shift smoothly

Bottom Line:
This is my first 'real' full suspension bike, and I love it. It is light years better than my previous bikes (rigid Cannondale and Trek Y bike). Going down rock gardens feels like you're floating on air. Great bike for the price. I was able to pick it up basically brand new from Craigslist. It may be a bit heavier than some hardtail bikes and more expensive FS Bikes, but so am I. I could lose a few pounds to make up for the difference. Definitely worth a try if you don't have the money to blow on a more expensive bike.

FYI, the picture and component list for the Diamondback Recoil Comp listed are wrong. Go here for the full list and picture (http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn-full-suspension/recoil-comp-11/)

Favorite Trail:   The Tourne

Shimano Alivio rear derailleur w/SLM-310 8spd rapidfire shifters
Kenda Klaw 26x2.25

Submitted by auzz a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    great bike, rides nice up and downhill. i dont see why people dont like this bike, it is a great frist downhill bike. the frame is soild, the fork is great, and the shifters shift way smooth

Weaknesses:    the rear shock squeeks but thats it.

Bottom Line:
if you want to learn to become a downhill rider, this bike is a good bike to start with. its cheap and a little to the heavy side, but use the weight to become stronger and faster rider.

Submitted by Skulltoy a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Great bang for the buck, frame is quality build, bike color, simplistic/ proven design of suspension system (murphy's law)

Weaknesses:    To get the bike at the $600 MSRP the component group is not the greatest.

Bottom Line:
I can not leave anything "stock" everything I own is "Moderfied" I have been running hardtails for awhile and wanted to play with full suspension, but I thought spending $1000+ was too much for my habits at this time. So looking at what I wanted is simplistic proven design, single pivot was my forte. Looked at Full suspension frames and came across the Diamondback bikes. back in the early 80's that is what I rode BMX days and always had a place in my heart with Diamondback. $600 for full suspension was not too shabby and I liked the look and the simplistic design. Got a 20% deal and got a whole bike for less than what just the frame would cost. As the stock Recoil setup is good for the price, but the not greatest components. I instantly upgraded almost everything and the bike rocks. Fits me perfectly and feels great doing mild drops and jumps. Smooth on the street and loving my entry into the full suspension world.

Favorite Trail:   Any in the mountains