Diamondback Recoil Comp XC Full Suspension

4.13/5 (15 Reviews)

The Recoil isThe perfect bike forThoseThinking of getting into aggressive mountain biking but don’t wantTo dropThousands of dollars quite yet.The foundation ofThe recoil isThe 6061T6 aluminum frame withThe RockShox BAR R air rear shock.The BAR R is a huge upgrade betweenThe Recoil and Recoil Comp.To complimentThe rear shock, Diamondback paired it withThe SR Suntour XCR RL fork. With 100mm of smoothTravel, rebound dampening adjust, and remote lockout, you'll wonder how you ever lived with

Submitted by Flyingbryan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    2013 Recoil Comp
Great price for what you get. Remote front shock lockout. Very comfortable for both the uphill and trail descents. No need for rear lockout due to great design that does not soak up any extra energy. And to top it off this is a great looking bike.

Weaknesses:    2013 Recoil Comp
No water bottle location. But not sure anyone does that these days.
Remote front shock lockout is a little far from grip and no way to remove the bracket to put it on the other side without taking the grip and everything else off first.
Might be just me but seems that the front and rear shifter work opposite as far as shifting up or down.

Bottom Line:
2013 Recoil Comp / Medium

At 47 and having a very old hard tail mountain bike and looking to get excited to get back into riding and this bike has done just that for me.

I was not aware that this model did not have hydraulic brakes but rather cable disk brakes and also this model does not come with a rear shock lockout (both coming on the next model up). But after taking it out I found these breaks did a great job of stopping to the point I am just as happy with the cable disk breaks. And the rear shock lockout is not even needed because of the suspension design. I found even if I had the lockout on the rear I would not use it.

Ok about the bike, I found it to be not to heavy on the climb and the traction is great with just enough suspension in the rear to keep the tire to the ground but not soak up any energy (Who needs a rear lockout with great designs like this). The remote front shock lockout is very nice but it could have been a little closer to the grip. I wanted to move the remote lockout to the left side but the bracket has to slide off the bar so the grip would have to come off both sides so I will just live with it on the right.

Shifting is very smooth but I find it confusing that when pushing one shifter (example front or rear) the gear goes up making it harder to shift, wile pushing the other in the same way does just the opposite. This may be just the way it is on this kind of shifter but I found myself mis-shifting a number of times.

Breaks did not make any noise and worked great but I only have a couple rides to date on them.

I liked the seat an handle bars are perfect for me at 5'10" on a medium bike.

I love this bike and very happy with buying it. I do recommend buying this for anyone looking for this level of bike.

Purchased At:   Direct from DB

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by kurt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    Good price and good components

Weaknesses:    Poor frame design. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike for my son but after one year cracks developed in swing arm at rear welds. Diamondback's service was absolutely terrible. They would not replace the part and couldn't even sell me a new one. Bike has been out of commission for over 6 months with no resolution in sight. My advice- stay away from diamondback.

Favorite Trail:   lebanon hills - minnesota

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   dicks

Similar Products Used:   Marin novato hardtail

Bike Setup:   Kenda tires Rock Shox fork Truvatin crank

Submitted by Jake

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Greatly Priced for this quality of bike. Very Solid, rock shox, love the remote lock-out

Weaknesses:    None that I can see so far. possibly weight, but not at all bad

Bottom Line:
Excellent Bike so far. Great for Price. Very good feel to it. I've taken it on several Cross country rides and it's held up very well. Havn't taken any spills yet though. I've even gone down a Downhill trail and No Problem! Weight isn't optimal for climbing but the lock-out helps greatly

Submitted by zerocool762 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    full suspension at a resonable price. Brakes are solid and the remote lock out is very handy on climbs.

Weaknesses:    the seat is alittle uncomfterable and the rear hub is off center in the wheel. oh and the clips for the lines pop off very easy

Bottom Line:
Unlike most of the other people that reviewed this bike I actually have a recoil COMP not just a recoil. there is a difference. The front remote lock out is pretty niffty. The air Rock Shox is alot firmer than I thought it would be. The seat seems like it's more for looks than comfort. I could see the brake and shifter lines would cause the clips to pop off so I just replaced them with cable ties and problem fixed. This is a very capable bike for the price but time will tell how well is stays reliable, but so far so good.

Submitted by Briangl92 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Price.
Stock components.
Brakes.
RockShox Tora fork.

Weaknesses:    Brakes glaze and make a ton of noise.
Powder coating underneath rear brake caliper carrier cracked away and I nearly lost my rear brakes in Tahoe.
Frame; swing arm gusset has developed a crack behind the weld.
Weight.

Bottom Line:
Good for a beginner or for someone who takes on the ocassional trail but it doesn't hold up over time. The brakes overheat, the 2009-2010 frames have issues with cracking (mine cracked and is currently being evaluated by DB for replacement), and the brakes are mounted on top of powder coat that's susseptable to cracking away. It can handle fairly tough trails but don't expect it to hold up with continuous hard use.
It is quite heavy for uphill. The major bonus with this bike is its components especially the front and rear suspension. Itd be nice to see more rear travel however. Im constantly bottoming it out. The brakes stop well and are linear but overheat and glaze fairly easily. Perhaps some larger rotors could remedy this.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Tahoe Flume Trail

Purchased At:   Scotts Valley Cycle

Bike Setup:   RockShox Tora, Fox Vanilla R, Shimano gear set and clippless pedals, MX4 brakes, Kenda front tire, Specialized Pro rear tire 2.35"

Submitted by Whumpus a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable feel, very neutral position, there is almost no need to move back on steeper trails, stock drivetrain not bad at all, responds well to small bumps, worth the money

Weaknesses:    Broke 2010 frame, derailleur, and fork within 3 months, rear suspension could be better, not quite strong enough for abuse,20' frame still small for my 6'3" height, rear suspension a bit catchy on bumpy trails

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for its low price, and found the quality to be decent. However, it didn't quite hold up to my type of riding. I broke the 2010 frame, even though I weigh 170, and DB sent me the 2011 frame. After some hassle, I was able to switch some of the parts from the old frame that I wanted, except the rear shock. The setup wasn't bad with a coil rear shock, but unfortunately that didn't work out.

I suggest this bike to anyone who can't afford a pricey bike, but would still like a fs bike. Don't get it if you lean toward the dh/fr type of riding, or if the trails are pretty technical. It will hold up for a while, but the problems begin to stack.

Favorite Trail:   Hulls Gulch

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Bike Setup:   DB Recoil Comp 2011, SRAM X4 shifters w/ SRAM X7 derailleur, Rockshox Tora 289

Submitted by koolshaggy a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension is great, brakes work well, gears shift smoothly

Bottom Line:
This is my first 'real' full suspension bike, and I love it. It is light years better than my previous bikes (rigid Cannondale and Trek Y bike). Going down rock gardens feels like you're floating on air. Great bike for the price. I was able to pick it up basically brand new from Craigslist. It may be a bit heavier than some hardtail bikes and more expensive FS Bikes, but so am I. I could lose a few pounds to make up for the difference. Definitely worth a try if you don't have the money to blow on a more expensive bike.

FYI, the picture and component list for the Diamondback Recoil Comp listed are wrong. Go here for the full list and picture (http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn-full-suspension/recoil-comp-11/)

Favorite Trail:   The Tourne

Shimano Alivio rear derailleur w/SLM-310 8spd rapidfire shifters
Kenda Klaw 26x2.25

Submitted by Raging Monkey a Downhiller from SLC,UT,USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    Strong build takes a beating (had a few bad crashes and it loved it and keeps wanting more), good shocks for stock bike, but you could upgrade to better.

Weaknesses:    WEIGHT!!! if upgraded would make great DH bike. plastic peddles, de-railer, Rims(found them to be a little on the weak side)

Bottom Line:
its a great bike for people getting into mountain biking and if upgraded it would be killer. If i had to go back i would still choose this bike as my first to learn on again.

Purchased At:   Taylorsville Bike Sh

Submitted by desert rider a Weekend Warrior from Desert Hills AZ USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2011

Strengths:    Solid,takes the trail punishment. Price. Tech service at Dicks Sporting at Happy Valley PHX AZ. (Nick). Tires (Kenda). Seat. SRAM X7

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy. No lockout. But I can live with these.

Bottom Line:
This is my fist step up to a real Mountain Bike. I "used up" two others. I ride mostly single track verticals. I like the quick smooth shifting and the gear indicator on the handle bar. The 2.1 tires make going over sand so easy. Great stock seat, no having to get used to this one. Will upgrade some items in the future as it's very upgradable. Lastly, some didn't like the brakes, but I found them great, no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Maricopa trail

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Pacific (when it was still made in the USA). Mongoose X75

Bike Setup:   Stock. Rock Shok, SRAM X7

Submitted by The downhiller a Downhiller from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    great trail/freeride/maybe DH bike. strong frame and great parts. good for upgrading

Weaknesses:    heavy. plastic pedals

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike tackles trails easily. Jumps too. this bike is the kind I'd use to take to somewhere mountainous or the sea otter classic. this bike also is pretty cheap so you get lots for your money

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   department store

Similar Products Used:   Giant trance

Submitted by USAfan a Weekend Warrior from BR,La

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    front shocks & tires

Weaknesses:    the pedals and deraileur

Bottom Line:
good bike but could improve with a rear air shock. for the price it is good i usually ride hard tail but now i am going with fs bikes from now on.

Favorite Trail:   comite/hooper road

Purchased At:   capitol city cyclery

Similar Products Used:   first fs bike.

Bike Setup:   stock except haro metal pedals from 6 yrs. ago

Submitted by stevenjamesdavis22 a Weekend Warrior from Ft Irwin

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Weaknesses:    Pedals...just cuz there plastic...but no big deal.

Bottom Line:
Well this is actully my first "mountain" bike, i used to ride BMX. So have the frame isnt too heavy but it does have a weight to it (It'll eventually make your legs stronger) everything has gone good so far, im glad i chose this one as my first. As soon as i get even more dirty with it ill let you know.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   World Of Wheels

Submitted by me a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    PRICE! Excellent components for this price range. Great suspension. Excellent shifting components. Brakes seems super solid.

Weaknesses:    Weight 35.5 lbs, no lockout.

Bottom Line:
More bike and better components than anything you will find in this price range. Super sturdy over roots and rock gardens. Smooth on the downhill. Great control. Get prepared to pump on the uphills though, you'll be carrying a lot of bike with you. I shopped long and hard before settling on this bike and I certainly couldn't have done any better. I am sooo happy with this bike. If I was looking to ride 100 mile adventure races I wouldn't even consider this bike. But for the average trail rider who likes to take small drops and jumps, and enjoys riding twenty miles a day, This is the best budget bike going.

Purchased At:   Dicks sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek dual sus.

Bike Setup:   Rockshock tora, fox vanilla r, Hayes mx4 disc brake. Sram x7 deraileur.

Submitted by Mark Glossinger a Weekend Warrior from Luttrell, Tn.

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2009

Strengths:    It is a well built bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    It is a little heavy

Bottom Line:
I think it is good bike for the price. I look around and compared other bikes at this price and I feel I made the right choice.

Purchased At:   Redbluff, Ca.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by thadoggfather a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz CA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent low price intro bike to Mountain biking; average components with decent shocks on a heavy frame. Really great for downhill very fun, lots of control.
Great Workout bike (see weakness on its weight)
Rebound adjustable fork and rear shock with travel adjustment.

Supercomfortable MTB seat.

Weaknesses:    VERY heavy (at least for long climbs)I suspect it weights about 35LBS which is quite heavy.
Fork does NOT lockout. Only rebound and travel adjustment.
Not SUPER smooth drive train but it gets the job done (never had issues)
Brakes are OK not the best but not bad. I put it as a weakness because mechanical brakes could be better.

Bottom Line:
Great workout bike with awesome price, cant get any better for the price.
Its a heavy bike, if you dont mind the weight and like the workout go for it! the components are average but they get the job done theyre not flimsy and they bike is most enjoyable on downhill rides and jumps.
The Fork it has (rockshox tora 289) is often underrated because its an entry shock and some have had some quality problems (leaks etc). Mine is flawless and hell it does a great job, about 120 miles on it and going strong.
4 chilis because its a bit heavy and could use better brake pads.

Favorite Trail:   Demo Forest

Purchased At:   Cycle Sports Scotts

Bike Setup:   stock specs: RockShox Tora 289, Foxshox vanilla R (coil&airshock) hayes brakes shimano deore derailers, MTB seat.

Choosing between Recoil and Overdrive comp - any advice?

Hi all, I've been casually riding downhill on a Trek Y3 for years and am ready to move into a new bike. Due to getting a really good deal, I'm going for a Diamondback of some sort and have narrowed it down to the Overdrive Comp or Recoil Comp. [URL="http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/compare/353 ... Read More »

Diamondback Recoil Comp DH Rig?

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Diamondback Recoil Comp. It is a 29er. Could you throw on a nice DH suspension fork, and rear fox shock and use it for DH? Or would the frame snap from drops? I'm a newbie at DH and really want to get into it. I found the diamondback for only 343$ new (usually 949$) ... Read More »

Diamondback Recoil Comp 29er vs. GT Sensor 9R Comp

I am looking at getting an entry level full suspension 29er. I have narrowed it down to the Diamondback Recoil Comp 29er - [url]www.diamondback.com/recoil-comp-29-mountain-full-suspension-29erb[/url] and the GT Sensor 9R Comp - [url=http://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes/mountain/trail/sensor-niner-co ... Read More »

Diamondback Recoil Comp 29

Diamondback Recoil Comp 29 [IMG]http://media.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/large/31-0226-BLK-SIDE.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1117685_-1___400311]2012 Diamondback Recoil Comp 29 Mountain Bike -- Performance Exclusive - Trail Full Suspen ... Read More »

2011 recoil comp owners

Anyone here build this bike up for all mountain? I have a 5in travel 29er but I'd like to get a more tossable 26er. There's a great deal on a recoil comp but it doesn't have much travel. Anyone have any luck bumping up the travel on this frame?Read More »