Diamondback Coil XC Full Suspension

3.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by RAP a Downhiller from LA,CA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Strengths:    CHEAP, NICE GOOD LOOKING, NOT TO HEAVY, NICE BREAKS , LOVE THE SUSPENTION. PERFECT BEGINNERS BIKE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I LOVE MY BIKE REALLY SATSFACT WITH IT

Favorite Trail:   SIDE WALKS, PARKS

Purchased At:   CRAIGSLIST

Similar Products Used:   TRECK ,

Submitted by supercellxw a Weekend Warrior from ny usa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    When it actually was working.... I liked the bike in general.

Weaknesses:    The frame behind the back shock bent so it is not usable after the first year.

Bottom Line:
When it actually worked after i took it in like 5 times to dicks to get repairs, like to fix the wobbly rims, brakes and such, it worked great till i went over a 1 foot jump over and over. The stinking frame bent I weighed 200 pounds at the time, my nxt bike will not be a diamondback. Watch out for their product.

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   walmart/garage sale bikes.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by jefdiamond a Weekend Warrior from OKC OK USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Strengths:    Tough bike that has survived many jumps...and many failed jumps. I've flipped this bike twice and crashed four times...still going after five years. Easy and quick shifting. I've rode this bike through the city and it's a solid city bike. Changing out the tires should be the first thing you do if you want to ride on asphalt. Off-road, the full-suspension does fine...a really solid constructed bike that handles the trails fairly easily. I have the medium 7005 frame and after simple add-ons it has been a decently comfortable ride (5'8" 170 lbs.).

Weaknesses:    Really heavy on the trails and you really start to feel it after 10-15 miles. I think the gears don't spool as well as other bikes...seems a bit sluggish. I tend to feel a little trouble going uphill on this bike...don't know if it's the combination of the weight and the gears. Change out the tires, seat, and pedals right away. I have had some issues with the front forks, but only after flipping the bike for the first time. Some adjustments and we are still riding.

Bottom Line:
Great bike...actually, currently my favorite and longest running bike. I received it as a gift, but I would have gladly paid $350 for the bike. Change out the simple stuff right away and it will do wonders to improve your experience with it. Downhill...asphalt city riding...easy to medium trails...a solid contender. If you want to ride longer than 20 miles...you might want to drop some money on a higher end bike with better gears and a lighter frame.

Favorite Trail:   easy - medium trails up to 20 miles

Purchased At:   Al's Bicycles

Submitted by Beak a Weekend Warrior from Santa Ana, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    Good bike for the money! Very Strong frame, but then again I only weigh 120 pounds. Components are decent, suspension works well. Ive taken it off 4-5 foot drops, fairly gnarly down hill, and it somehow survived a week long trip to the mountain biking mecca called Moab. I also crashed into a car going 25 mph. Nothing has broken in the 6 years I have had it. Good Warranty

Weaknesses:    Not very customizable with stock parts, Rim brake version cannot be upgraded to disk brakes. Rear shock is functional, but has a lot of rebound and tends to bounce you over bumps. There is not a super low gear for uphills, so you really have to grunt it.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, fairly heavy but manageable. Not for super crazy downhills or super steep uphills-, but will take most of what you throw at it. I highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything less than 15 miles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump jumper

Bike Setup:   Stock except for oury grips and new tires.

Submitted by zak a Cross Country Rider from westport, ny, US

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    light, cheap, frame seems to hold up no cracks er nothin, customer service is good at dicks as long as you get the worenty , which i highly recommend if you are thinking bout buying this bike

Weaknesses:    swing arm pivot repetidly comes loose, cheap, not a ton of travel

Bottom Line:
ok for the money, id recomend going to a bike swap an picking up 3 times the bike for the same $$

Favorite Trail:   26

Purchased At:   dicks sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   specalized big hit, iron horse sgs, trek 930

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    PRICE. This bike is the BEST bike you will be able to get for this price, period. For a full suspension bike, it can be taken downhill and will take a beating.

Weaknesses:    The major problems I had with this bike is the gear system. It is a 21 speed and the largest cog in the rear is 28 teeth whereas most bikes (even the 24 speeds) have 32. That means that uphills are much more difficult if you're not quad-zilla. I tried to upgrade my bike to a 24 speed and low-and-behold, the cogs attached to the rear rim are of the olden days where they threaded on and thus couldn't be replaced by anything new unless I bought a new rim.

Bottom Line:
Get this bike if you do NOT do many uphills and do NOT want to upgrade the bike. For anything even semi-serious, you will have to replace the rims, gearing, and pedals. The price of the bike plus the price of the upgrades will be more then if you just buy a better bike. I focused mainly on the negative, but it really is a great bike for beginning and it will last for years.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse Sinister Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by John from Spanaway WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Strengths:    Strong frame, beautiful finish, (sadly beat up by a year of abuse, but still looks prety good) Derailleurs still work well. Wheels and tires are good for a cheap bike.

Weaknesses:    Cheaper, heavy components- steel Stem and bar, plastic peadals. Heavy but sturdy steel rear triangle. Low end Shimano crank set.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Good for starting out on a fully suspended bike. Useable (but heavy when stock), for cross country, good for mild (< 1') drops, rocks and roots. I paid $250 for my 18" at GI Joe's, an automotive/sporting goods store in Washington and Oregon. I thought that was a killer deal. Now they are closing out the 2004's at 30% off, so I got my wife a 16" Coil for $175. The Bike service department is great there- you get a free tune up after you break the bike in for 30-60 days. Alysa, the wrench at the Puyallup store ROCKS.
I have ridden this bike pretty hard and have had zero major problems with it, just a few adjustments here and there. I give it 5 Chilis for value and a 5 overall considering the price. Its a steal at $175!

Favorite Trail:   Dash Point, Victor Falls

Purchased At:   GI Joe's

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche (The older, high-end version, not the current Pacific Cycles type)

Bike Setup:   It changes when I want to try something different... Currently XT crank set and bottom bracket. Xpedo SL/CR pedals. Magura Quake fork, Truvative XC/AM bars, aluminum stem off a Harro. WTB wheelset, Shimano HG road cassette. IRC Mythos K tires. Specialized BG II saddle.

Submitted by Kado Caylan a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, US of A

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    good componets for price, this bike will take a beating. Also goes up hill fairly good but, i got to take it easy on downhills i dont want to break somethin. but if u have to pay for it u tend to take it easier.

Weaknesses:    i know this is not a hucking bike but i did a 6' footer and bent the seat and bars. If u dirt jump sometimes watch out for breaking the rear deraler. but if you ride normal like on trails it will last.

Bottom Line:
this bike is awesome for the price. it will take you up and down the hill, and it will takin a beatin and just keep tickin. for someone wanting to get into mountain biking and will last u like two years no more.

Purchased At:   bike world

Bike Setup:   stocl except new forks and flipped the shock around, feels more plush

Submitted by Stirling Macfarlane a Weekend Warrior from Madison, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Price, Price, PRICE!! Frame is solid and looks like it can be built upon.

Weaknesses:    Low-end components, pedals, shocks

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for the price. While most "experts" would scoff at a full-suspension bike for $235, this one is for real. Yeah, the components are cheap and will be replaced as they break, but the frame is solid and will accept new components for years to come. If your not a competition racer and are on a budget, this bike is for you!

Purchased At:   ebay (search for by name)

Submitted by Joshua from MD

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Strengths:    CHEAP!

Weaknesses:    HEAVY! SADDLE! PEDALS!

Bottom Line:
Great bike if your looking for something to take you from point A to point B ( and sometimes Point C on some simple trails!). This bike is for anyone that is looking to ride for fun without worring about spending to much money. If your looking for a XC bike then you probably should try looking somewhere else.

Bike Setup:   MTB speed V saddle, shimano 520 pedals, Ritchey barends.

Submitted by J. B. a Cross Country Rider from Operation Iraqi Freedom

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    Decent components at a good price

Weaknesses:    Poor saddle

Bottom Line:
A pretty good ride at a decent price and "battle tested" on an American military base in Iraq (it would have been more expensive if it hadn't been made in China; I would have been happy to pay more for an American or even a Taiwan-made bike, but being assigned to Iraq, beggars can't be choosers!). For general riding on poor pavement and gravel, this bike does well. It hauls me wearing my 30+ pound armored vest, helmet, and rucksack with my computer and other gear...quite easily! I don't know how it would fare for serious off-road or amateur BMX, but it is great for daily commuting. It shifts smoothly and brakes evenly. It is a quantum leap in quality and performance from "department store" unbrands or Huffy bikes, yet for not a whole lot more money. My only complaint is the saddle. It is small and hard, and not very adjustable--I'll have to buy one in the aftermarket, which is sad considering I saw other Diamondbacks at the Post Exchange with wider, better seats. I recommend this bike for beginners and intermediate riders as well as those who want a more rugged street bike.

Purchased At:   Army PX

Air to Coil Rear Shock AM/Giant Reign

Going to switch out my rear shock on my Giant Reign X0 from a DHX Air 4.0 to a coil of some sort hopefully. I weigh about 200lbs w/o gear and its just not cutting it for me. I do light downhill/freeride and some xc. No drop over 8 feet or huge gap jumps or anything. Any suggestions? I read some ot ... Read More »

CCDB Coil on Trek Scratch 9

[COLOR=#333333]Hi guys,[/COLOR] [COLOR=#333333]This is my virgin post[/COLOR][IMG]http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/images/smilies/2012/pound.gif[/IMG] [COLOR=#333333]Recently acquired a used Trek Scratch 9 frame without rear shock. Transferred a CCDB coil over to the bike, same eye2eye, same stroke ... Read More »

Pike 454 coil U-turn - Living in the past, trying to step into the present

Hi everyone, My current setup includes a 2009 SC Heckler with a RS 454 coil U-turn. This bike has been a monster for me over the years, but with new jobs/life brings new terrain and I find myself climbing for longer periods while finishing with fun flowy descents instead of ball breaker rock gar ... Read More »

Do Suntour Coil Forks Squeak?

I have a very intermittent, high pitched squeak or squeal coming from the front of my bike somewhere. I hear it most often on the trail, but hear it on occasion on the road. It's so intermittent that it is hard to pinpoint, but does seem to happen on things that make the fork displace. On the ro ... Read More »

Boxxer WC conversion - air to coil?

I can't be the only one looking to do this - I see plenty of posts going from coil to air, but not the other way around??? Basically, I've got a 2012 RockShox Boxxer World Cup, which I believe has issues w/ the air spring side (I've already performed the service kit on it). Rather than spend the ... Read More »