Dean USA Baja 4.0 FS XC Full Suspension

MSRP : $2000.00

• The Baja 4.0 FS - it's the ultimate trail bike
  • Proven "A" link design delivers a full 4.00" of active travel
  • Linear link" bottom bracket pivot provides for a fully active suspension design with no chain pull or pedal kick back during braking - it's always super smooth
  • Extra smooth cartridge brearings throughout deliver super smooth suspension movement

Submitted by Al from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Sent a part (a fork) I got from them back in early Nov. 2006. It is now February. I wish I could get refunded all the time spent on my damn cell and email accounts trying to get a hold of them. They actually lost my Fox fork.

I love my old Dean from before they got bought out. I'll never buy any product sold by them. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth for both Fox and Dean.

Submitted by matt from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight. Good looks. Handling.

Weaknesses:    Decals wore off after 4 hours of riding.

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally got my bike setup in February. When I came to put the forks on, the headset didn't line up properly. My LBS took off the factory fitted Chris King and discovered 2mm difference on the facing - It hadn't even been faced properly!!!! After facing it was still out of alignment. The mitre is also not true on the down tube. Dean promised me a new frame in February. It is now October and I am still waiting. They have ignored my last 4 emails. DO NOT USE THIS MANUFACTURER!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Direct from Dean

Submitted by Mark Swigert a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    Nice appearance (polished titanium), beautiful welds.

Weaknesses:    Ugly seat-tube weld, aluminum A-link not strong enough.

Bottom Line:
Less than 10 rides, the "proven" A-link broke in half and I had to walk the bike out 7-miles. DEAN promised a newly designed link in 2-3 weeks; took 2-months. Anything you hear about their terrriiible customer service is understated! I finally had the components transfered over to a new Ellsworth Ephihany; now there is a bike worthy of praise.
I'll try to sell the DEAN frame for $1,000 with an extra FOX DHX shock, or give it away if I can't sell it!

Favorite Trail:   Pauly Creek, Downieville, CA

Purchased At:   DEAN USA

Similar Products Used:   DEAN Duke, Santa Cruz, Ellsworth

Bike Setup:   Full XT group, Fox Talas 80-130 mm front shock, DT Swiss rear shock, Hayes disc, Mavic XT MAX wheels, Easton carbon seatpost & handlebar

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Bracknell

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Titanium frame, alloy stays

Weaknesses:    Welding on the down tube looks untidy - the down tube has been cut in 3 parts (to insert a stronger middle piece to absord the stress from the rear shock, apparently) and the welding and the cut looks awful.

Bottom Line:
I ordered this bike 2 years ago. It arrived 12 months after the order with the wrong fittings so it was sent back and they promised to return it within a month (this was March 2005). I was phoning in August (2005) and they said it was in the post. It didn't get shipped until December (2005), and then it was shipped with the wrong decals. I have now been waiting for 2 months for a replacement bolt to fix the rear suspension (along with replacement decals), which they say they have sent once already and they still haven't arrived.

DO NOT BUY FROM DEAN. THEIR CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS BIG TIME. I AM NOW THE UNFORTUNATE OWNER OF 2 DEAN FRAMES.

You can buy a better frame, with better support from elsewhere - I recommend you do so.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Dean (online)

Similar Products Used:   Dean Colonel (please check out my more favourable review of this frame).

Bike Setup:   XT hollowtech II cranks, Chris King hubs + headset, Mavic rims, DT spokes, Dean seat post + stem, Rock Shox forks, Formula disk brakes.

Submitted by Erik B a Cross Country Rider from Mahopac, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    I have the new 4x5 rocker set. Easy to change between 4 and 5 inches of travel. Bike is fairly light and is an excellent all around bike

Weaknesses:    Customer Support. Be prepared to wait a long time for the bike and if you have problems, be prepared to wait even longer. If you need parts, your wait is just that.

Bottom Line:
Execellent Bike with miticulous welds - Very high quality in terms of manufacturing. Customer support is terrible.

Favorite Trail:   Ninham