Cube Bikes AMS Pro XC Full Suspension

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

The perfect synergy of geometry, drivetrain and components is the most recognizable aspect of the AMS Pro. Riders aiming for results will love the position on the bike. The AMS Pro is sporty and comfortable at the same time. The 100mm of active suspension offers supreme control in both climbing and descending.

Submitted by Mateo Roldán a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    - very nice geometry, adapted perfectly to my riding style
- the manitou shock has proved very well when blocked, making it feel like a hardtail, but responding very well when doing DH or jumps
- well equipped and you always have the option to upgrade components
- with 12.7 kgs, is the lightest you'll get in aluminum frames on a full susp
- responds perfectly on bumpy/technical tracks, very good handling
- climbs like a hardtail, I have taken my times down with this bike!

Weaknesses:    - the original tires are not so good

Bottom Line:
Excellent value for the money!!
Compared to other bike brands, the CUBE AMS 100 (2012) has got very good components (XT, SLX and Deore), Rock Shok Reba fork, Manitou shock, etc...and the price is quite lower than Specialized or Trek; besides you'll always have the option to upgrade components, but you already have a very nice and light frame.
German-made is of great quality, lifetime warranty and has a very nice design!!
Shock can be block, making it feel like a hardtail, but responds very well on DH and bumpy roads.
Now I can confidently brake with just one finger, brakes respond very well.

Favorite Trail:   El Cinto - Teleferico, Quito - Ecuador

Purchased At:   Top Bike (Ecuador)

Similar Products Used:   first time full susp bike, before I had a Spec Rockhopper 2009

Bike Setup:   original components

Submitted by hgg2k a Cross Country Rider from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    - Light, Very Fast, Amazing Suspension combination.
- Corners like a train, excellent handling & tire
combination.
- Excellent seat.
- Elixir hydraulics have amazing stopping power and
modulation (progressiveness).
- Great set of components.
- Black anodized version looks very smart!

Weaknesses:    - Handlebar could be shorter, but if you are a "trekkie"...
you will love it! :-)
- Pedals are total junk!

Bottom Line:
Just returned from a 10 mile ascend and descend on a
rocky mountain road I am quite familiar with. What can I
say, the bike is just excellent! This is a seriously fast
climber and an excellent DH bike. It makes the terrain
feel really "flat"...

I was between the Trek Fuel EX 8 and this one and I had a
hard time choosing because there were no reviews available.
Definitely made the right choice. I am not sure that the
price difference of the fuel ex 8 could be justified in
proportion with any possible suspension advantages over
the Cube AMS.

All the components on the bike are very good with fast
shifting, very comfortable seat and some serious breaking
power!

The front suspension is just right! It has a very
important feature. No stiction. This translates to
excellent small bump absorption which again translates
to perfect handling when cornering fast. Apart from that,
is quite plush and as I said before it takes anything
you give it to. As for the rear Fox shock there is not
much to say. Perfect. (Before testing a suspension
always take the time to set the correct "sag" and rebound
depending on your weight!)

Another thing that I liked was that there is really no
discernible pedal bob even with the "Pro Pedal" function
off. I cannot say the same with the front suspension,
but when you lock it (from the handlebar) it becomes a
stiff suspension. The amazing part though is that it doesn't
loose the small bump absorption feature which is simpy
great.

The tire combination is very efficient off road.
It rolls fast on cement, although Continental's
Race King roll faster.

The Avid Elixir brakes together with 185mm rotors can
bring this bike to a stop in no time with the press of
a single finger! I use on my hardtail the BB7s which
are also great breaks, but these are something else!
You really need to be careful with the front one...
Modulation also is great.

One think that amazes me (and this bike is no exception) is
the fact that no matter how good the bike is, the pedals
are always the worst! Here again, the pedals on this bike
are a total waste of time. When the Deity Decoy LT pedals
are available on CRC, these are going in the trash...

Finally, I've read some other reviewers complaining about
the frame's anodizing being thin. Please try the same
abuse on your car's color and see what happens...
I find the anodizing actually of a very high quality.
In this DH session, rocks were flying like crazy and some
of them hitting the frame. When I returned home I thought
that I had done a major scratching job on my frame.
To my surprise there were no marks.

Bottom Line: If you are having second thoughts about the
CUBE AMS Pro, don't! Its simply a great bike!
You cannot go wrong with that.

Have fun!

CUBE Ultralight Screw-On-Race-Grip
Shimano Deore XT RD-M772 Shadow
Shimano SLX FD-M660, Down Swing, 34.9mm
Shimano SLX SL-M660 Rapidfire-Plus, 9-speed
Avid Elixir R hydr. Discbrake (185/185mm)
Shimano Deore XT FC-M770 Hollowtech II 44x32x22, 175mm, Press-Fit BB
Scape Varioclose 34.9mm
12,10 kg

Submitted by Hoppy002 a Cross Country Rider from Antwerpen

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Good Rock Shocks Reba SL, Geometry, value for money, brakes are powerful and controllable (Hayes Stroker Trail 180/160)

Weaknesses:    Pedal movement makes te rear suspension move a bit (can't remember the term :-p ),
Only 80mm of travel on the reba 100mm,
Sunringle XMB wheels arn't good.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! Dispite a couple of failures this is an amazing bike. The rear suspension isn't the most sophisticated bus the manitou does it's job. The lockout makes it an almost hardtail, and the rebound is adjustable.
The wheels are the problem, there arn't real seals..so any dirt is going right in, problem started after first time of washing..gently! Have read about problem so will be replacing wheels soon.
For me the geometry is fantastic, it asks you to play with it :-)
I really reccomend this bike, it's good value for money, and a lot of fun!

Similar Products Used:   /

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010 model

Submitted by Dade a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Climbs like a goat, Fast... Adjustable travel on Reba front Shock

Weaknesses:    Anosizing very thin.. Cable rub through on first ride. Buy the normal Sid Blue one, not anodised...

Bottom Line:
Awesome Bike... a major step up from the 16kg Hard-tail I progressed from... a must buy if you wand Good

Purchased At:   CRC

Bike Setup:   Fox Float PR23, Black Anodised, Reba U-turn Front Shock, Elixir R Brakes

Submitted by agg25 a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    Very light/fast at only 11.5kgs, great climber, good value for money, RP23 shock/ Fox F100RLC shock work well together, wheel/tyre combo very fast and light, highly specc'd, looks great, different.

Weaknesses:    Anodizing on frame may be a tad thin, stem quite long for some at 120mm although I don't mind it, seat very firm, standard bar was too straight and long for me so was replaced. Grips not the most comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Despite not having a chance to test ride this bike (where are all the CUBE's in London!) I recently bought this bike online as my first full suspension model and I am very happy with my decision. I'm stoked with it's lightness (lighter than my Rockhopper hardtail!), speed (rockets along with low rolling weight due to tyre/wheel combo), comfort (back no longer killing me after an hour or more riding bumpy trails and looks the goods as well. The front Fox fork has a nice progressive feel and the setup out of the box was just right for me. The handlebar mounted lock out worked really well although it can get accidentally disabled by your index finger. I pumped up the rear shock to 200psi from about 160 (I weigh about 85kgs) which sorted out the rear "semi-lockout" perfectly for me. The shifters work beautifully, I don't think shifting could get much quicker, no indicator means you have to look down if you forget which gear you're in. I survived 3 laps of the Gorrick Tunnel Hill event yesterday and I noticed I was much more competitive than my last race and passed quite a few guys on the uphill sections, testament to this bikes low weight. The brakes squeal a bit, but hopefully that'll quieten down a bit eventually. I bought a Cube chain stay protector and will probably upgrade the handlebar to a shortened Easton EA90 mid rise apart from that though, it's bloody perfect! Don't buy one though, I like the slight exclusivity. :-) BTW I'm 6"0' with long legs and I bought the 20" version which fits me perfectly.
I've replaced the bar with an EA90 mid rise and it feels like a better position, the long 120mm stem still means it's quite racy though. Bad news was my chain snapped during a race forcing me to retire, thought it would last longer than a few hundred miles. Also I've noticed a slight scuffing of the anodising on the frame where my brother tried to rub some dirt off it with his hand (dumkopf). The seat is pretty rock hard and took a bit of getting used to, would still prefer something with a bit more padding on it for the longer rides but this is a race bike after all.
This perhaps isn't the most comfortable bike in the world to ride all day but it is a very fast one (provided the legs are fast too :-) )

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest

Purchased At:   MHW Bike House

Bike Setup:   Standard apart from Easton EA90 monkeybars.

Submitted by josephtan_89 a Cross Country Rider from SINGAPORE

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2009

Strengths:    XC?
no its AM style.
Outstanding Climber, always ready to race geometry.
Fast on the decents, bites hard into the corners.
Floats over most uneven-ness.
Extremely stiff, and light.
Love the linkage, looks sexy.

Weaknesses:    Do not get the one with the manitou shox, save a bit more for the fox rp23 version.
i personally feel that the available travel is a little to little for the bike to be Am capable, nevertheless, this bike lives up to its name-AMS!

Bottom Line:
For those looking for a blend in XC and AM, this is the perfect bike for u. Get the fox rp23 version.
Very versatile bike, on road, off road, on road, off road, and in between as well.

Purchased At:   Chapter 2 Cycles

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   Fox F100RLC, manitou Radium RL, XT drivetrain, XTR combo shifters and hydraulic brakes. Thomson seatpost mated to a fizik gobi saddle. ritchey WCS stem and synchros handlebar. XTR hubs laced with DT Swiss 4.2d, wrapped with top quallity 2.1 inch Kenda Excavator tyres.

Submitted by tigermale a Weekend Warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Strengths:    Fairly light,nice geometry,sturdy build.

Weaknesses:    The brakes are a bit squeaky,but they're hayes so i'm not suprised.

Bottom Line:
This bike rekindled my love for offroad biking. I came across this one when i was scoping the bikes on sale at crc. I first saw a rocky mountain element10,but since i was already the proud owner of two cubes,i soon tipped the needle over to the ams instead. As soon i took it off road i was in love. The shocks perform very well, these being my first air-shocks i had some work to do to get the shocks dialed in,but it was worth it,the bike gets better and better,and it has raised my level of confidence immensely. Oh yeah,it looks gr8 too:)

Favorite Trail:   Whatever trail i find

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona coiler

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Surface3 a Cross Country Rider from Belfast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2008

Strengths:    High spec for the price

Weaknesses:    Rear shock

Bottom Line:
Super bike for the money. The Reba SLs are super especially with the remote lock-out and once you dial-in the motion control you really start to connect with the bike. This is the first full sus bike I have owned so nothing to compare it with really. I have noticed on more severe fast singletrack that the rear manatou shock is limited but for the money you can't expect much more and it's easily upgradable anyway. I flipped the Easton stem as I ride in quite a low profile position and swapped the bars for flats. I was going to go for the AMS HPC but for almost double the price I didn't think it was worth it. I plan to race this next year on short course XC and the short rear suspension linkage should work well.

Price Paid:    $2000.00