Chumba Racing XCL XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (44 Reviews)

The XCL is the quintessential trail bike. No other bike in its class can offer the nimble handling, descending stability, and climbing prowess of the XCL. The XCL is a result of years of refinement, resulting in a unique bike that can truly do it all. So whether your on the way up, down, or somewhere in between, the XCL offers unparalleled performance.
  • Made from 6061 T-6.
  • Available in small, medium and large
  • Frame offered in white, black, and red
  • Equipped with a Fox RP3 2 7.875"x2.0"

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bb7rider a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Weaknesses:    Dealing/Not dealing with Chumba. 3 months to get a derailleur hanger!...still waiting by the way. The minumum time I've waited since I've had the bike has been 2 months.

Bottom Line:
    I've owned this bike for about 4.5 years now. It has been a great bike and has certainly held up to everything I've thrown at it. However, Chumba is THE worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I'm not really one to write reviews but I feel it's necessary to warn others. It has consistently been a problem getting parts for my bikes, I also have an F5, since I have owned them. The company does not respond to phone calls, phone messages, or emails. Despite making some decent bikes, I would highly advice against purchasing anything from Chumba. You will not be able to get parts from them.

It's a week shy of 3 months since I placed an order for some derailleur hangers. Last was able to get a hold of them I was promised a delivery date of Sept. 12th. During this conversation I was fed BS about poor economy, preparing for Interbike, and blamed for having broke a part that's designed to fail...they then tried to sell me a new bike. I'm still waiting and have been unable to reach them. Chumba you've pissed off what was once a loyal customer who had convinced others to buy your bikes. I am now ashamed to ride a bike with your name or logo on it. I have decided to file a fraudulent charge report with my credit card company.

Favorite Trail:   AZ

Submitted by mnigro a Weekend Warrior from ATL, GA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    plush, great geometry, STIFF

Weaknesses:    weight, pedal bob, squat

Bottom Line:
    Super plush frame and bomber tracking due to a stiff rear end. Great geometry, true do-it-all numbers. I'm running it with a 7.875 x 2.25 shock and have not bottomed it out. I just came off a pretty good single pivot design that had almost no pedal bob but the XCL seems to climb better/faster and is definitely smoother. I like HL suspensions so the pedal bob doesn't really bother me. Heavy frame compared to some other 5" bikes but it looks to be WAY burlier than it's competition. The bike squats significantly when running 25% - 30% sag. This is only bothersome when trying to clear a very steep climb. Custom tuned shock is the ticket.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   KHS xc604, Titus Motolite, Salsa El Kaboing

Bike Setup:   XCL with 2.25 stroke H3 shock, Pike coil u-turn, X9/X7/XT and a dropper post.

Submitted by mikey85051 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Arizona

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Very stiff and responsive. Rear suspention is smooth.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Even though its heavy, it climbs really very well. It handels corners like it is on rails. Phoenix is very rocky and it eats up the terrain. I really like this bike.

Favorite Trail:   anything in Sedona

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX 8. KHS FXT Pro

Bike Setup:   Marzocci 44RLO, Fox RP23, Truvativ cranks and seat post, Crank Bros stem and pedals, XTR and XT drivetrain, Crossride wheels.

Submitted by MV Rider a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2010

Strengths:    Well built, rugged with spot on geometry for me. This bike carves and turns great, and handles the rough stuff with no problem. Climbing on this bike is not its greatest strength, but it is a more than capable climber.

Weaknesses:    None that I could detect.

Bottom Line:
    An excellent bike that is a steal for what you can buy it for at this time. If you want a bke that let's you push the limits as far as you can for aggresive XC riding, AM riding and some FR riding, than the XCL is for you. If you are in the market for a 5" to 5 1/2" bike for aggresive XC riding (this bike is not a racer), for AM riding and some FR riding than I highly recommend you demo the XCL before making your final decision.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS-2 (an olde, but goodie), Trek Fuel, Ventana X-5 (excellent bike and manufacturer) and BMC Trail Fox 2 (nice bike)

Bike Setup:   Sunline V-1 OS bar (28"), Thompson 80 mm stem w/zero rise, Sram XO shifters, Avid Juicy Seven brakes, ODI Ruffian grips, Cane Creek 110 headset, Mavic 819 rims w/Chris King hubs, RP 23 shock w/large air can, Chris King BB, Race Face Atlas cranks w/Race Face chain rings, XT FD, X-9 RD, Sram cassette and chain.

Submitted by chwee a Downhiller from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2010

Strengths:    Super tough construction, superb lateral stiffness. Decent climber, better descender.

Weaknesses:    Drive-side reverse tread screw (pivot bolt) backs out every once in a while. Chumba seatclamp sketchy.

Bottom Line:
    I ride regularly with folks using similar suspenson (Specialized Stumpy) and others: Santa Cruz (Blur LT / Nomad / VPP), Rocky Mountain (Single pivot), Ibis Mojo (DW). Since the riders are close enough in terms of riding ability, I think I have a good sense which suspension is better in various aspects. VPP seems to climb the best, DW good at sucking up XC trail clatter like roots and small rocks. Fast technical descents is a tie between the Chumba Horst link and VPP. The XCL is no slouch when it comes to climbing or eating up trails - the key is to have the suspension set up right and a bit more body english to shift the weight/CG subtly for various situations to maximize what the bike is capable of. The XCL's clear winning aspect is the durability and rear lateral stiffness which inspires enough confidence to ride more aggressive off-camber lines. I've even used it on technical DH courses (2000ft elevation) numerous times. A 12ft drop/crash resulted in only a bent hangar.

So after 2 years of hard riding (90% of offroad rides on the XCL, 5% on hardtail and 5% of DH bike), everyone around me was changing up to 6 inch travel bikes like Nomad, El Guapo etc. For a while, I was tempted to drop $2-3K on a new frame like everyone else.... yet I'd been more than a happy camper on the XCL, trusting and riding it in a number of places around the world over a huge range of conditions. So I spent the money instead on upgrading the front and rear shocks to its current iteration - Talas '10 RLC FIT + DHX 5 Ti Coil. After a few tuning rides, the bike feels recharged to take on anything again. In the meantime, my riding bud's Blur LT titantium linkage piece broke - while being put through much less than the XCL. The frame was built to last with its industrial strength gusseting and oversized tubes.... The only times I felt the need for more than 5.5 inches of travel, I should have taken out my DH to begin with.

Favorite Trail:   No 3 Youth Park, Penang

Purchased At:   GHC

Bike Setup:   Front shock: Talas '07 -> Talas '10. Rear shock: DHX 5 Air -> RP 23 -> DHX 5 Coil -> Ti coil. Brakes: Saint '07 -> XT '08. Tires: 1.95 Nevegals -> 2.1 Nevegals -> 2.35 Nevegals. Rear D: XT Midgage Shadow -> Saint Shortgage Shadow

Submitted by bailout a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2009

Strengths:    Stable and neutral geometry, excellent traction when going down and especially when climbing technical stuff, tough frame, tough anodized finish, plush and solid ride. It's possible to build it light but what's the point? This bike begs to be ridden hard.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for true XC-only application, a bit of bob if no platform is used when pedaling hard, more standover and a compact frame option please. Won't shine in any smooth and flat XC race courses.

Bottom Line:
    This is not a steep-angled XC bike or a super plush freeride bike, it's everything in between. If you are a stronger rider or a rider that's willing to suffer a bit, it's a good bike for technical epics. I've ridden this bike on numerous technical all-day rides that involve anywhere from 6-8K feet of climbing and it's no problem. I'm in the middle of the spectrum in terms of endurance and maybe in the low end in terms of raw power and speed, for reference.

The geometry is just right for steep technical climbs and steep technical descents. Not too stretched out and not too short for the gnarly bombing runs. In fact, this bike has kept me from dismounting more than any other bike that I've ever ridden. The combo of neutral geo, excellent traction and burliness is confidence inspiring. It's made me look for and charge those fabled "uncleanable" tech sections of trail that has everyone else walking, both uphill and downhill. If you want a burly trailbike and are concerned about maintaining traction on tech/bumpy/rooty stuff, this is it. The bike can take a beating with the straight-gauge top and downtubes so you don't have to baby it (might ruin the awesome paintjob/ano finish though). I hope chumba comes up with more tweener sizes. The 19.5" center to top length is a bit too tall for a medium aggro XC/trailbike frame. This bike would be killer with a slightly more compact frame size. I think this bike is in the same category as a SC Heckler which is a pretty damn good trailbike. I was deciding between the 2 and the Chumba won out due to the more active suspension while braking.

On the issue of pedal bob, it does have it when pro-pedal is off. I just flip the switch and it climbs almost like a hardtail. Without pro-pedal, it sinks into its travel a bit more when climbing. Bob isn't noticeable if you are pedaling relatively smoothly too. Not a big deal for me.

No noticeable flex in the rear when standing up and cranking hard on steep climbs.

You shouldn't buy this if you want a lightweight XC bike or spend MOST of your time hucking and jumping stuff. This bike is for those deep backcountry rides where you might encounter steep and rough ups and downs. Oh yeah, it will handle the occasional honest 4-footer and double, just don't do it every single day. There are better bikes for that kind of thing.

Favorite Trail:   If it's named "Manzanita trail", it must be good

Purchased At:   Direct from Chumba

Similar Products Used:   2002 Kona Stinky 5x5, SC Blur LT2, Yeti 575, SC Heckler

Bike Setup:   33lbs, utilitarian and cheapo build = 8 year-old handbuilt WTB dual duty rims with shimano XT disc hubs, XT brakes, Rock Shox Revelation 85-130mm coil U-turn, Fox RP23 with factory preset high compression tune and medium rebound tune, Specialized Eskar Control/Resolution tires, Sram X9 shifters, SRAM x7 RD, Shimano XT E-type FD, Sunline lock on grips, Easton 55mm Vice stem, EA50 31.8mm riser bars,

Submitted by Michael Dorontich a Cross Country Rider from Pendleton,SC USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2009

Strengths:    Overall construction is top shelf. Welds are beautiful. Pivots are solid. Where's the beef? The XCL frame has it!!! The thumbs up Chumba devil is the best badge on the market.

Weaknesses:    With the DHX RC4 coil, the resevoir on the shock interferes with the waterbottle. Quick cure is to ovalize the waterbottle cage mount holes so the cage sits lower. Other than this, no weaknesses in this frame.

Bottom Line:
    This is the 5th bike that I've built and by far the ultimate ride. My last bike was a GT LTS with similar setup. I didn't think that I would find a true 4 bar bike that would equal the LTS. I happily admit that I was wrong. Not only does the XCL surpass the LTS, it is light years ahead. The frame is perfect for the DHX RC4 and 36 Van fork. It floats over everything that I aim the bike towards. It might be a little heavier than the LTS but it rides lighter. It's easy to manuever through tight singletrack, easy to pedal uphill and when the trail drops......" Fuggitaboutit ". Like my first mountain bike ever, the Chumba XCL has made me feel like a kid with a new bike, flying through the woods without a care in the world. If this is my last build, then I picked the best bike that I could have hoped for. I don't know what a total price for the bike would be because I built it myself, but if you'r looking to buy a bike or a frameset that will thrill you ride after ride and don't want to kill your bank account, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   Issaqueena forest trail system

Purchased At:   Frame, shock & fork

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS

Bike Setup:   King headset, Titec bar and stem, Lizard Skins grips, Fox 36 Van R fork, Fox DHX RC4 coil shock, Race Face BB and crankset, XT front and rear deraillers, XTR shifters and levers, XT casette, WTB Super Duty 20mm front wheel, Ryno Lite rear wheel, Avid discs, Michelin Hot S tires, Thomson seat post, Selle Italia Flite saddle and Egg Beater pedals.

Submitted by EMrider a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Frame strength, ergonomics and stable geometry.

Weaknesses:    Arguably weight, if that matters to you.

Bottom Line:
    After more than 2 years, I'm still incredibly happy with this bike. If anything, I'm liking it more because many of my recent rides have been of the classic all mountain variety. Long, with lots of hard climbing and all sorts of downhill from smooth and fast to rocky and technical. I'm not a gazelle and I find the XCL to be an excellent climber. Just dial down the fork, crank up the propedal and go. The suspension is very smooth and makes me feel like a much better rider than I am. Very forgiving. I'm very confident on the XCL when descending and have enjoyed quite a few days of riding at Mammoth.

I have a Fox TALAS on my motolite and the Pike coil is far superior in every way. Incredible fork. At some point, I'll probably give a coil rear shock a try too.

As a package, the XCL is an incredible value and a great ride. Truly a do it all sort of bike that is built strong for years of fun. IMHO, it is more towards the all mountain end of the trail bike spectrum than XC. Mine is about 32lbs which would be on the heavy side for racing.....but I don't race. I just ride for fun.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Pinos

Purchased At:   Chumba

Similar Products Used:   Owned a Titus motolite for 2 years prior

Bike Setup:   Pike coil 454, DHX 5.0 air, SRAM x9, Avid 5s. Price above is for complete bike from Chumba

Submitted by GGumz a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Az

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Strong bike - solid in the climbs and holds your line on the descent. Link system limits pedal bob.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter but not a major issue as I need a strong bike.

Bottom Line:
    Great all mountain bike. Good climber for full suspension. Sticks to the singletrack - I've noticed that I now pedal through turns i didn't before this bike. If you need a bike to take anywhere take a serious look at the XCL.

Favorite Trail:   Brian Head bike park Utah

Purchased At:   Frame from Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Haro Extreme

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla fork, XT crank, XTR shifters and deraillers, Race Face stem and handlebar, Alien carbon seatpost

Submitted by martino a Weekend Warrior from Sonora Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Very good bike if what you want is to go everywhere, very good climber and provides a lot of confidence on decend.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but efficent.

Bottom Line:
    Very nice bike for the price, compared with my intense FRO which is much more expensive, you will not notice any difference while climbing, less on thecnical climbs, in fact the talas helps a lot on thecnical clims changing to 120mm, host link provides a lot of efficience, I recommend to turn off the propedal on thecnical clims then rear tire will not slide, it is all way uo glued to the road, on decends the bike really booms, this bike provides you a great confidence, the only difference between this and the intense is on long distance, after 20 miles you can notice some difference. Anyone who is not afraid of the weight and looks for a lot of fun should buy it, i would not recommend this product for a XC racers. This bike is about 30 pounds and rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Santa cruz trail and promotorios sierra

Purchased At:   jj cycles tucson Az

Similar Products Used:   Giant trance, Speciallized enduro, K2 5.0 lithium, currently I have another nice bike, Intence 5.5 FRO a really nice bike

Bike Setup:   Fork Talas 32 RCL, Mavic Cross trail rims, Kenda nevegal tires 2.35, hayes el camino brakes 180 front and 160 rear, crank truvativ, everything else XT, Sunline post 65mm All mountain, and sunline handle bar

Submitted by Horacek a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lovely paint job. Attention to detail. The headbadge is a nice touch. Relatively light.

Weaknesses:    The paintjob chips- old school? (as mentioned below). Head angle is alittle steeper than Im used to. Might switch from Pikes to a longer fork.
    Im still trying to figure out the correct setting for the RP23 shock. It feels either squishy or too firm. Tips appreciated!

Bottom Line:
    Just had my fifth ride. 2x Peak District, 2xLakes and 1 in the North Downs Surrey. So Im still getting used to how it rides/set up etc.

Will post back when Ive swapped for a shorter stem, changed saddle etc etc etc.

Favorite Trail:   Too many!!!

Similar Products Used:   Everything.

Bike Setup:   Pikes, King rear wheel, Hope hoop front, XT chainset, King headset, Thomsons and XTR rear mech.

Submitted by RJG a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Solid construction and suspension design. Horst link design with the beefiest welds and tubing you could imagine.

Weaknesses:    Heavy if you care (I don't). E type BB. Sizing is tricky and I'd recommend trying some sizes ahead of purchase.

Bottom Line:
    This frameset performs as advertised and feels great to ride as a "trailbike" not a cross country bike. The geometry and the recommended set up is not traditional XC oriented and was not intended to be. This bike is confidence inspiring and begs you to rip, I think it laughs at the obstacles that terrify me. If you are looking for a fun rig that you can do 2500 feet of climbing on while bombing the decent then go for it. If you are lining up for a XC race then look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Cycles/E

Similar Products Used:   Marin East Peak and Titus Racer X.

Bike Setup:   Medium with 100mm stem. Rock Shox Revelation U-Turn Dual Air. RP23 rear shock. 2x8 XT drivetrain.

Submitted by coolj01 a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is very strong with great welds. Can be set up to do whatever kind of riding you want. Great local company. Great Customer Service. Paint is great and holds up.

Weaknesses:    Wont break so wont allow me to go bike shopping.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is this bike really shouldn’t be in the XC category. The good news is if you want a bike that you can take up the mountain as well as it goes down this is the bike for you. This bike makes me look like a sissy...it begs for more then I can give every ride. I wanted a bike that I can go up, go down, huck and thrash and this is the one. Don’t get me wrong the biggest hucks I’m doing is about 5ft. I have this bike at exactly 30lbs with a 160mm fork and DHX Air but it took some money to get there. Geometry is spot on, paint is bulletproof, welds and extra supports are amazing. If you are looking for a bike that you point and go no matter where it is this is the bike for you. If you are looking for a skinny little sissy rig with puny little tires…look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   Rockit

Similar Products Used:   SC Nomad, Intense 5.5. Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   XCL, Fox Talas 36, XT Cranks, XO shifters and rear, Thomson stem & Seatpost, Maxxis Ardent (Front), Kenda Nevegal (Rear), Hope Wheels.

Submitted by jahred a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Nimble, fast, strong, super responsive bike.
    Customer service second to none.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle bolts need loc-tite. Red on the drive chain side.
    At a push, stock Chumba skewers are too short, but easy to change.

Bottom Line:
    Eventually managed to take the bike out to Afan on the weekend, so this is an initial review. I'm no fan of the climb, but the only time I was overtaken by anybody was while waiting for my mate at the top of each climb. This beast climbs as good as can be expected. On the descent, some numpty started very close behind me on one particularly gnarly section. I was acutely aware that he was right behind me and was pretty much forced to abandon the brakes and go hell for leather. The XCL swallowed everything up and then some. At the end of the trail, I turned around to an empty trail which remained like that for several seconds. Quite impressed as I'm no downhill junkie either. This thing fills me with way too much confidence. Bombing down the trails it quickly becomes apparant that I'm travelling faster over tricky terrain than ever before, and still trying to go faster. I only have the Kona Coiler (which I absolutely loved) to compare with, but for an all round super fun ride you'll be hard pressed to do better at this price.

Favorite Trail:   Afan