Christini AWD LT XC Full Suspension

CHRISTINI AWD System
- Handelbar mounted AWD engagement switch.
- Spiral-Drive aluminum bevel and pinion gears.
- Aluminum interlocking clutch.
- Tubular aluminum drive shafts.
- Coated steel universal joints.
- Stainless sealed cartridge bearings.
- Total AWD system weight is 2.3 lbs.

frame: 6061 aluminum with powder and anodized finish available

Submitted by dnchls a Weekend Warrior from Edgewood, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2009

Strengths:    Gorgeous bike with AWD components extremely subtle. Unlike anything in it's class for uphill grades. Company very pleasant to deal with.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
I have owned my Christini Long Travel for a little over two years now. Let me emphasize the fact that I have really enjoyed this bike. My first mountain bike was a Schwinn 21 speed. My first semi-technical trail on it was a steep jeep road in northern New Mexico. I soon found out that the only way that I was going to make the 11,000 summit was with my butt in the saddle and the rest of my uncomfortable body hanging over the handlebars or walk and push the bike! The minute I raised my rear end off the seat I would spin out on the steep grades. Oh, and by the way, even traversing some some of the steeper sections in this "goose position", I still managed to spin out. Was I ever disappointed! One of the main reasons I bought the bike was for long uphill grades, not for "tote your bike uphill then downhill at 100+ mph" thrills. From that point on, me and my Schwinn never had a very good relationship. Other than an occasional ride around the block the 'ol gal just hung on a rafter hook in my shed. I was aware of an AWD cable kit that some company offered many years ago, so I went searching for it on the internet. That's when I was first introduced to the Christini AWD. I soon found out that unlike the AWD cable kit, Steve Christini had engineered a bike that utilized the front drive mechanism only when the back wheel slipped, saving precious cycler energy! I purchased my Christini from Black Diamond Bikes in Washington State. Shortly before the arrival of my bike I took the Schwinn down and decided to ride it on a fairly aggressive hill a few miles from my home, so I could get a good comparison of the two bicycles. The best way to describe the Christini vs the Scwinn was like I was cheating when on the Christini. The same rocky and steep hill that found my toes touching the ground every few feet on the Schwinn was a near continuous ride to the top on the Christini; a clear knockout blow! Now, if I do raise my butt off the saddle and pedal I don't spin out! What is also amazing is how the front wheel pulls me up and over obstacles as opposed to my Schwinn which many times would leave me dead in my tracks. Make no mistake about it, this is one beautifully engineered bicycle. Worth the $3400 I paid? Absolutely, when you consider what you're getting. Many single wheel mountain bikes I see on display at the local bike shops tout a price of $3500-$5500. Every time I climb aboard my Christini now I realize what a bargain I really got. Remember, along with superb engineering comes a price. One word on the putdowns of AWD technology; most of the negative blurbs I read via the internet were speculations as to why AWD technology would not work. All I can say is... the proof is in the pudding; read the reviews or better yet ride an AWD Christini! Even though I consider myself an average mountain bike rider at best, I find it hard to believe that any rider wouldn't benefit from AWD technology when navigating technical uphill grades. Bottom line, this bike has provided me with countless hours of enjoyable recreation and exercise with plenty of positive uphill power. Job well done Mr. Christini!

Favorite Trail:   Sedillo Hill, Edgewood, NM

Purchased At:   Black Diamond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None that I'm aware of

Bike Setup:   Raceface Evolve Bars, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Sram X-0 Twist shifters, Sram X9 rear,Sram X-Gen front, Hadley rear hub, DT Swiss rims, Raceface Cranks, Specialized Eskar Armadillos

Submitted by Andy Hartman a Cross Country Rider from York, Pa

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2005

Strengths:    The Front wheel pulling you through the loose stuff, Suspension design, concealed drive system.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for the one thing that sets it apart from the rest. The AWD system. However the more I ride, the more I like everything else it has to offer. I used to ride an FSR XC, (I broke the shock and swingarm in less than two years), I liked the suspension but my size was too hard on the bike. At 210 lbs. I needed a bike that felt light but could handle my weight when I'm riding hard. Thats right, I'm a Clydesdale. So I considered the Christini, I really like the All-Wheel Drive! The price is in line with any other bike I need, and this bike really shines in the snow, mud, loose climbs, you name it. If you aren't using the AWD, the bike feels like any other full suspension! I also appreciate the Christini staff, they are always there to answer questions and help out if you need parts. I have never seen this kind of service with any other bike manufacturer! The bottom line is this, I'm glad I bought this bike, it does what its supposed to do, and if I need help with working on it, I can count on a great staff in Philadelphia to help me out!

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   none like it.

Bike Setup:   Christini AWD LT w/ white brothers fork/manitou swinger 4 way, LX/XT drivetrain, Avid mechanical discs, Continental gravity tires.