Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1 XC Full Suspension

• Chain: KMC X9 CP 9-speed
  • Handlebars: FSA SL-K, Flat 620mm, 31.8mm

Submitted by PC_Vern a Racer from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Strengths:    Light and excellent handling

Weaknesses:    3x9 is not appropriate for this type of bike. Should be delivered tubeless.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike for ~1 month and thus far I am very pleased. It is reasonably light for this price point and very fun to ride. I had been racing a rigid SS and trail riding a Rush 3. The Rush was stolen, so I went for a racier FS to better suit the rougher courses that punished me badly on the rigid. I'll find out how fast it goes for real next season.

The handing is perfect. It feels snappier than the Rush, but very predictable. The newer lefty is excellent. My prior Lefty had too much compression damping and I had to pay $100 to replace the cartridge to better suit my weight (145# on large frame). The 2010 Scalpel lefty is much more supple and has a little more travel. The lockout lever is so convenient to get to.

The rear suspension isn't as plush as the Rush, but it does the job. The Rock Shock on the rear does not lock out completely, but pedal bob hasn't been a bother.

The handlebars are quite narrow, which suits my taste. This is the first bike that I've owned where I didn't need to cut them down. I suspect some riders will find them too narrow.

As the other reviewer mentioned the suspension linkage creaks a lot. I found the shock bushings exceptionally tight. These were spinning in the frame bracket rather than in the shock. I turned these down using a drill and sandpaper, then lubricated them.

The Racing Ralph tires are relatively narrow and with tubes (40 psig) they are miserable. I converted to tubeless and these tires are now acceptable with 25 psig. I like Conti race kings better though.

I wish this bike came with 2x9. I climb a lot here in PC and don't find any use for the small ring. The rear cassette is a cheaper, heavier SRAM (980?). I disassembled this and cut off the pie plate 32 gear using a right angle grinder. This is supposed to be a race bike, what's up with the bail out gearing setup?

Overall I'm very pleased with the Scalpel. Excellent quality and decent components for the price. I think this will be a great race and XC trail FS bike.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   2007 Rush 3

Bike Setup:   Converted to tubeless, removed 32 rear gear, otherwise stock.

Submitted by turnerth a Cross Country Rider from Powell, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, agile, light, smooth

Weaknesses:    Wheels are not strong for heavy riders

Bottom Line:
This bike absolutely rocks - I had no idea the quality that was available until I finally took the plunge. I am 210lbs and bent the front wheel within weeks - 24 spoke racing wheels are stock... should be expected. I absolutely love this bike, it is perfect for XC riding in the rooty, rocky woods of Ohio.

The linkage was creaking quite a bit - pulled that apart and lubed, problem solved.

Not intended for big air. I do not huck more than 18 in. (.5 m)

Favorite Trail:   Alumn Creek

Similar Products Used:   Not much

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock - added my 20 yr old bar ends and sampson ti pedals.

Submitted by soflarider a Cross Country Rider from South Florida

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, precise handling, easy setup.

Weaknesses:    Infrequent odd noises, Cannondale SI stem (combo stem and steerer) limits sizing options or at the least, makes it expensive to swap. Quirky Schrader valve in front fork.

Bottom Line:
I wanted something lighter and more maneuverable than my 2006 Rush 2000. This fit the bill and was sitting at a local shop. All in all this is a perfect bike for the moderately technical XC riding we see in south Florida.
I'm too old/lazy for a hardtail so this is the next best thing.
Makes a few noises. A "screech" that sounds like it's coming from the front end is actually from a shock pivot. The rear brake line and/or shift cable clunks upon rear rebound making it sound like something's falling off. These are minor problems easily addressed.
The fork Schrader valve won't bleed with a shock pump so to adjust lower, one has to let air out then pump back up to the desired pressure. I'm not sure this is the most precise way to set the pressure.
I had to swap out the seatpost to get the proper leg extension and even with a riser bar it has a rather radical riding position. It's not so easy to change when one has to buy a combination stem/steerer but since I have long legs and a short body I'm used to fitting myself to a bike once it's been adjusted to it's design limits.
Even at a discount to the list price this bike was expensive but is just a hair over 22 pounds with pedals. It'd be hard to imagine anything that would eclipse this design any time soon so I hope to amortize my purchase over several more years.

Favorite Trail:   Miami - Oleta River