Cannondale Scalpel 4 XC Full Suspension

• Patented Flexing Seat Stays And Chainstays: Zero Pivot
  • Systemsix Front Triangle

Submitted by michael a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2013

Strengths:    I love the Lefty! this is a beautiful rig; tracks wonderfully, really rips up technical stuff

Weaknesses:    wait, what?

Bottom Line:
I've ridden a bunch of different bikes: kona, SC, trek, yeti. This bike is at the top of the heap. Very responsive, fairly lightweight. I thought I'd never be one of those "I can now climb stuff I never could before" poster... Alas. What a blast!

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    light weight; handles like a dream; responsive

Bottom Line:
This is a great, relatively inexpensive way to get a podium-quality steed. You won't be disappointed with this ride. I've ridden turner, fisher, yeti, kona and many others. The only other make that comes close IMO is the Turner 5-spot.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Blueridge

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by mychainbrokehadtowalk a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    fast, stiff, very responsive

Weaknesses:    cannondale's handle bar grips move and twist on the bar

Bottom Line:
bike is good for what it was made for XC going outside the parameters you may run into some problems. its light, fast, maneuverable the lefty and the 110mm of travel make for a smooth ride up front,the rear with 4" of travel on a pivot less carbon fiber chain stay makes for stiff cornering and the climbing ability of a hard tail due to very little bob, all tho cannondale's lefty maintenance schedule is a little ruff at bearing resets and regular fork maintenance approx every 25-50 ride hours.

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher tequila '97

Bike Setup:   2010 scalpel stock

Submitted by lyrill a Downhiller from Madison WI US

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Strengths:    2009.Lightweight and fast. Lockout turns this all susp bike into a non susp faster than any road bikes.

Weaknesses:    Cheap components. SRAM and Shimano mixed together.

Bottom Line:
This bike is not my style. I don't really like going fast with a lefty fork. What if it breaks? I can only accept lefty on a prophet or gemini or jekyll.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mound

Purchased At:   Williamso Bicycle Wo

Similar Products Used:   GT i drive 4.0(not as light)

Bike Setup:   stock!

Submitted by diehard a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    The fully adjustable suspention of this bike works fantasticly. It's smooth but accelerates like a rocket under power. I'm not sure if the carbon sping in conjuction with the fox shock is a factor or not but what ever they did it works!
Also very light for the money. I got this one as last years model on discount. I used that money to upgrade the heavy wheel set for mavic crossmax ST . It dropped the weight from 26.8 lbs to 26 even. A few other easy componant swaps has my new bike just under 25 lbs!

Weaknesses:    Cheap and heavy wheelset , rear cassette, and cranks. You can pay more for a scalpel 3 or 2 but I chose to by the cheapest one and custom build with upgrades.

Bottom Line:
Not much in the showroom floors in the way of a 4 inch travel XC race bike . You can get an idea by reading these reviews but you MUST test ride as much as possible before making a choise.
This bike works great but For my total investment of under $3000 it couldn't be beat.
Plus a liftime warrantie on the frame , and made in the USA.

Favorite Trail:   Test of Metal