Cannondale Scalpel 2000 XC Full Suspension

4.69/5 (32 Reviews)

Submitted by Rodolfo a Racer from Monterrey, Mexico

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Lightest full susp. I have known , very responsive , the geometry fits great , beautiful bike, everyone looks at it and gives me compliments about it.

Bottom Line:
Bike is great, lefty is amazingly soft and stiff at same time. You can go as fast as you can without sacrifying control. formatosreg@prodigy.net.mx in case you want more info or questions about this kind of bikes .

Favorite Trail:   Chipinque

Purchased At:   The bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Trek fuel 80

Bike Setup:   Same from cannondale, no upgrades

Submitted by Botched Experiment a Cross Country Rider from American Fork, Utah

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable, fast, pretty good in technical terrain.

Weaknesses:    Rear end is laterally flexy, Hubs are junk, wheels are weak, drivetrain is virtually impossible to keep dialed in, the bike squeaks within a couple rides of having new bushings etc.

Bottom Line:
I've enjoyed the bike, but have had far too many problems with it to justify the expense of the bike, and am tired of replacing stuff that shouldn't be wearing out. Unless you're a sponsored racer type, get a Cannondale Rush instead.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush (way better than Scalpel)

Bike Setup:   Ditched hydraulic brakes/flipper shifters after having problems and replaced with sram grip shift and avid mechanical pull disc brakes.

Submitted by Rodolfo Peña a Racer from Monterrey, N.L. Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, lefty carbon Dlr fork is incredibly stiff when is locked and incredibly smooth when is not locked, no bobbing on the rear. Cool look

Weaknesses:    transportation: Lefty cannot be transported in a fork type rack , Lefty looses some air after a few rides

Bottom Line:
I have been a mountain biker for the last fifteen years, and alway used hardtails , liked to race and have fun climbing and descending , in 2005 I bought a Trek fuel 80 , after making a bigh deal of testing and questioning with many experts. It all came down to one very important thing, and that´s "Knowing what you want". Many people complains about bikes they bought when the truth is, they did not know exactly what they wanted in the first place. That´s the only reason I am selling the Trek fuel 80 and that´s why I bought the Scalpel, I was looking for a stiffer , lighter, more of a race bike and I think I found it. I have nothing but compliments about the scalpel, great design, smooth on the descents , easy on de the climbing and over all a fast one. Only thnig I am missing about the Trek Fuel 80 is the softness of the suspension but I decided that´s not in my priority list, I am willing to sacrifice that for a stiffer and more efficient ride which is what´s needed to win races.
Before you buy a bike make sure you know what you want.
It will simplify everything.

Favorite Trail:   Chipinque

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 , Trek fuel 80

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by JOEdaddyO a Cross Country Rider from BOULDER,CO

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    LIGHT; LOCKOUT; FAST

Weaknesses:    flat bar; numbing saddle

Bottom Line:
I'M USING THIS BIKE AS A LOANER WHILE MY FISHER CAKE IS BEING REPLACED; I'M GOING FROM 5" TO 3" OF REAR TRAVEL AND 5" TO 4" OF FRONT; I'M SURPRISED AT HOW WELL IT HANDLES TECHNICAL TERRAIN; NO BIG DROPS BUT LOTS OF LOOSE CHUNKY STUFF DOESN'T SEEM TO BOTHER IT. IF I OWNED THE BIKE I'D CHANGE THE FLAT BAR TO A LO-RISER.THE LEFTY IS A-OK; THIS IS AFTER A MANITU MINUTE, MAVERICK WHATEVER, AND FOX RX120 (MY FAVORITE). I LOVE THE PROXIMITY OF THE LEFTY'S LOCKOUT AND FIND MYSELF USING IT (AND THE REAR L.O.) ON SMOOTH CLIMBS. LARSON LUST TIRES HOOK UP WELL AND HAVEN'T BEEN AS BAD IN MUD AS EXPECTED. IF I WAS GOING TO RACE (WHICH I'M NOT) AND WANNTED ONE BIKE, THIS COULD BE IT. I'D CERTAINLY CHOOSE IT OVER ANY SPECIALIZED PIECE OF #$%* AND THINK IT WOULD MAKE MOST XC TYPES VERY HAPPY.

Favorite Trail:   MONARCH CREST

Purchased At:   CUTTING EDGE SPORTS

Similar Products Used:   GARY FISHER CAKE, SUGAR; YETI ASR; CDALE JEKYLL

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Glass City

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Strengths:    Light and responsive. Excellent suspension front and rear. Comfortable cockpit. I also like the Shimano Dual Controls and the stiffness of the Lefty Carbon 'fork'

Weaknesses:    XTR rear derailluer is difficult to keep adjusted.

Bottom Line:
My LBS offered me a great deal on this bike. Even though the bike is way faster than me, it's perfect for the smooth SE Michigan trails I frequent. It has just enough rear travel to take the edge off small rocks and roots on the trail. It is a blast to ride on swoopy singletrack. The bike is a great handler, is light, strong, and stable under a heavier, non-racer guy like me. A great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Maybury SRA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F600. Never had a chance to ride one, but also considered a Specialized Epic.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a Thompson Elite seatpost instead of the stock carbon post and ODI Ruffian lock-on grips.

Submitted by karl a Racer from baltimore

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    agility, speed and sure-footedness. lock-outs and overall feel.

Weaknesses:    I've had trouble on a number of occasions with the shimano parts, bike currently comes with a superior package however.

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review of this bike below a year and a bit ago right after getting it and I thought I'd share an update. Since then I've trained up and am quite focused on racing. The bike has been terrific despite a number of serious issues with the shimano parts early on, blown dual shifters, bb and rear hub (cannondale). that said I ride the hell out of it with about 5000 hard rocky rooty miles logged on it so far. I'm on my 3rd drivetrain and second set of wheels. I've ridden it through snow and ice and crashed it many many times and its still can be dialed in as well as the day I got it. It is very fast and handles very well. For pure XC racing I challenge anyone to pick a better ride. I ride the mid-atlantic area and have hammered it through everything from the Michaux Monster to the regional Norba and MASS events and it holds up beautifully. It does in fact climb very well and can hold a line through fast single track as if it is on rails. In any event there it is. Consider it tested and approved for use.

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor Arnold

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of xc racers at this point

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Sharp, Handles good. Light.

Weaknesses:    Bike turns to the left on it's own if you let go of the bars due to the cable routing. Front wheel doesn't spin freely. It's like the brakes are on all the time. The Carbon Lefty is a piece of junk. I've had it leak oil, then it was rebuilt in the first 2 months. The bearings keep migrating, numerous times. It feels like the shock has no air in it but when you check it, it’s still full. When this happens, the fork bottoms out on every bump. Also when this happens, the bike rides extra low to the ground and your pedals hits every little rock and root. You also can't use the Lefty in heavy rain and mud. After a rainy and muddy race, I’ve just been told that the lefty has to be rebuilt again for the second time in a year. At a cost of $150 and 3 week delivery or I could rush it for an additional $50. This should all be free…

Bottom Line:
I would spend a penny on this bike if you plan to actualy use it for what it claims to be for. I had less problems with my 6 year old GT.

Purchased At:   Park Ave Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Esteban Cordero a Cross Country Rider from Heredia, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    When you get on it, you can feel the power !! climbing and doing down hills is a magnificent experience !!

Weaknesses:    I have been having problems with the carbon lefty, it loses air preasure after a few rides, so the clearence between the lower clamp and the tire is not the correct.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good, but the carbon lefty 2005 model is really giving me problems, and Cannondale doesnt have the suport that I`ve been specting from !!

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   Costa Rica (XCESSO)

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Submitted by Martin Kell from Chambersburg, pa, united states

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Great bike for Cross country racing. Built to ride fast and climb.

Weaknesses:    Had some problems with the lefty Dlr. It was sent back twice but Cannondale was very helpful and replaced it completely the second time. This shock is not made for big hits and air pressure needs to be maintained.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after my first year of racing in which I rode a Raleigh M-80, a tank. I went in to the shop looking to buy a rush which i thought would be a good bike for me because im xc but Im a bigger guy and real hard on bikes. The shop ended up not having recieved any rushs yet but then this scalpel caught my eye it was in an awesome green color and the said they would knock $900 off the price ao I rode it and loved it. It was a big step up and greatly imprved my riding all around. Besides my shock trouble at first which may have been due to me running to low of pressure for my size 6"1' 190lb, and a broken rear derailure and cassette in my first race due to a stick getting jammed in there. This bike has been awesome and cant wait for the rest of the race season. Buy this bike if you want a fast xc bike, Dont buy it for a free ride bike.

Purchased At:   In Gear Cylcling

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh m80

Bike Setup:   full housing on rear derailur cable

Submitted by Jim Freeman a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Strengths:    Light, responsive climber with a comfortable suspension

Weaknesses:    Expensive and hard to find in dealer stock

Bottom Line:
I am not a great rider, but I have a good time. Admittedly, I do NOT ride the challenging downhill courses that so many people enjoy, just single track and jeep roads around Tucson. The Scalpel helps me enjoy everything I ride it on. My wife rides as well. She no longer even thinks about her old bike, now that she has a Scalpel. It was probably very useful to learn about riding on a hardtail that went through lots of changes before we were happy. The Scalpel is better out of the box than the tweaked hardtail it replaced and we better appreciate it because of our past experience. If you are not into big drops and can find one to test ride, do it. You may want to wait until you can afford to buy it, because I suspect you will want one. ;-)

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Trail

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   eBay (used)

Similar Products Used:   Road my hardtail for about a year before I could justify the cost.

Bike Setup:   Stock except WTB Power Saddle, CrossLand wheels and some tire swapping. Finally ended up with a Hutchinson Python (tubeless) on the front and a Scorpion (tubeless) on the rear. This combination is most stable through deep sand which is my nemisis.

Submitted by Greg Stanis a Cross Country Rider from Saint Paul, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, Reponsivness, Lefty, Frame Design, XT Setup, lock-outs

Weaknesses:    Cannondale Wind Hub

Bottom Line:
This bike wins races! I won a race and placed in a few others over this past racing season with this puppy. Only weakness found has been the Wind Hub that come with the bike. Cannondale does not know how to make a proper Hub. I broke the rear hub right away, and the replacement hub within 2 weeks. Completely shattered the inside of the hub on the road! (This is the only reason I am giving a 4 instead of a 5) Luckily they replaced full rear tire with a Crossmax that works perfectly.

The lockouts turn this fantastic off-road racer into a descent road bike. Able to keep up with and pass most roadies out there.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who races XC.

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown Full Suspension Factory XTR

Bike Setup:   Full XT with CrossMax Wheelset

Submitted by Ed from Bucks Cty, PA, US

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Light. Fast. Quiet.

Weaknesses:    Too soon to say.

Bottom Line:
Pricey (but a great deal from Hart's) and light. This bike flies! I've read folks don't like the shifter/brake combo from shimano...but I am used to it. The Lefty shock (carbon) is odd to get used to. But it works well (when I can get air in it) and the bike is quiet. Composite rear end (with carbon) moves well. Doesn't have travel like some downhill models, but then, its NOT a downhill model! One thing dawned on me- you can't remove the front wheel. If you have a fork-mount bike carrier, you are SOL. Something to consider. Otherwise, It was down to a Trance 2 (Giant) or this. Since I've had 4 other Cannondales (Roadwarrior hybrid(still ride), 100SL, V700, Caad3 hardtail...) I got something for a Made in USA, Made in PA "al, you minimum!" bike.

Purchased At:   hart's

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a Cannondale Full Suspension (Active 100SL) that was 8 yrs old.

Bike Setup:   2006 Cannondale Scalpel 2000. XT and XTR. Carbon seatpost, carbon wrapped bars, Shimano Hydraulic discs...lots of good stuff (fiz'ik seat, carbon lefty, Fox air shocks, DT spokes...)

Submitted by Jean Courcelles a Racer from Montreal - Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    Frame, Lefty, Carbon components, Handling, Weight, few moving parts for suspension, looks great in mat black & decent pricing

Weaknesses:    Tires not that great in real mud situation. Keeping the rear shox lock-out wouldn't have been a bad idea

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike
Very fast and solid
Lefty is The fork for XC - Didn't open once my old lefty on my Raven although I did over 5000km with that bike! One of the reason I stayed with Cannondale
Scalpel can be raced out-of-the box - Would just adjust the tires to type of ground, original tires are not much use serious mud
Would have had to spend C$1000 extra to have same quality in components and still heavier weight with Specialized Epic

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Purchased At:   ABC Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Raven 900SX

Bike Setup:   Out of the box racer - nothing changed

Submitted by karl a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Strengths:    Set-up, components (though mixed feelings about the rear der.)Pretty amazing package all in all

Weaknesses:    None bar a little skipping on the rear despite lots of dialing.

Bottom Line:
Ok this is a little story of sorts. Way back when 86-93 I was a pretty serious biker/sport racer in the maryland /virginia area. Then life kicked in and biking ended. I'd not set foot in a bike shop until about a month ago. Christ have things changed! When I was getting out shocks had just come in and there were lots of mixed feelings about the extra weight. Shimano had just come out with their first rapid-fire incarnation which also proved iffy at best. Most of us switched back to the xt thumb shifters. Suffice it to say I was quite skeptical looking at the new stuff, if not a bit confused. I researshed like a mad-man and it had come down to some high end hardtails, the scalpel and the epic. I really hated the weight gain with the rear sus and had reservations about its feel in climbing. I had decided on the Trek 8500. Super hardtail with a nice set-up. However I'd come across some very weak reviews of the new front fork on the Trek which prompted me to take a second look at the other bikes. Then I actually rode the Scalpel and Holy God the thing was amazing. Quick and agile with very controlable shocks and decent weight balance. I bought it. So there I am, hitting the trails for the first time in 13 years (actually riding a bike for the first time in 13 years) and quite nervous. On the first downhill I rode like a granny, all brakes and clenched teeth....just tragic. But then something started to happen. The bike just feels so dialed in. Others here have indicated that it just seems as though it wants to go fast. Well it does. By the end of the ride I was seeing a slight glimmer of my former self. Downhills were very fast and very sure, climbs were surprisingly sure footed and measured and on the road the lock-outs provided a super fast stiff ride (the tires were close to full pressure). All in all I'm amazed. Maybe I'll even do some old man racing and spank some of those kids. Turns out bikes have in fact gotten better and for my money the Scalpel is sitting on top.

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor Arnold

Similar Products Used:   Spec. stumpjumpers (hardtail and fsr) Trek 8000/8500 and a very nice Trek 990 a very long time ago.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dean Marshall a Cross Country Rider from Fordingbridge, hampshire,UK

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Strengths:    Very quick, stable and nimble. Geometry. Superb build quality

Weaknesses:    Nothing major. Light back end means you have to have good positioning.

Bottom Line:
I've owned the Scalpel for about six week. It's a Very quick bike with superb cockpit position that gives you confidence but makes you ride aggressively. Excellent rear shock means little or no bob on climbs and very smooth lefty fork just cruises over the rough stuff. Changed to SRAM as I find it more positive and smoother (especially in mud). Build quality and componentry is superb meaning very little maintenance. Because the rear end is all carbon fibre it is very light and you can loose it a little if your weight isn't in the right place. My other toy is a Porsche 911 but I'd get rid of the car before the bike, that's how much I love it. So if you like fast XC...buy one now.

Purchased At:   cycle works UK