Cannondale Scalpel 1000 XC Full Suspension

• Spokes: DT Champion
  • Chain: Shimano 9-speed

Submitted by axekid423 a Cross Country Rider from elkridge, md

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2010

Strengths:    light, rides well

Weaknesses:    weak frame!!! carbon chainstay cracked!! i have heard about this problem with this bike, very common.

Bottom Line:
rides well and is light but if you actually mountain bike this is not durable! the carbon chainstays are the big weakness and commonly crack

Submitted by joe a Cross Country Rider from Sta Monica,CA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    just good looks...

Weaknesses:    everything the piece of sh °° just broke,this frame is really weak !!!

Bottom Line:
warranty sucks just as cannondale krappy bikes! Don´t waste any money in this bikes!!

Similar Products Used:   jamis dakar, gt zaskar ,merida AM500

Submitted by baggsby a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Lefty Front shock, "living hinge' rear suspension

Weaknesses:    Larson TT tires, a little heavy compared to my hard-tail.

Bottom Line:
This isn't really a full suspension bike: it's a hard-tail with rear travel!

I wanted a hard-tail, but they had knocked the price down from $2650 to $1500 since this was the 'old-frame' with 69mm rear travel instead of the new 100mm.

A Screaming-Demon! I am able to blast through spots where I previously had to brake on my F900.

Favorite Trail:   Cadillac / Tom Brown

Purchased At:   Higher Ground

Similar Products Used:   1992 Cannondale F900

Bike Setup:   Box-Stock except for Eaton handlebar & longer stem

Submitted by JaySC a Cross Country Rider from Mooresburg, TN

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2009

Strengths:    This bike climbs like a hard tail. The shock works very well. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Many people have had problems with the RP3.
Nylon or some sort of plastic seat stays.
Nothing really to speak of.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal if you can pick up on used. The frame design is awesome, and really does allow the bike to climb like a hard tail and absorb the bumps like a full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Depends on the day

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Carbon Scalpel 1.
Mongoose Zero G2

Bike Setup:   05 Scalpel 1000 with Carbon Lefty Speed, Monkey Lite XC carbon bars

Submitted by mosuca a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, Very Precise, Beautiful, Super Light for a Fully, High Tech

Weaknesses:    None for me (o.0)

Bottom Line:
Its an amazing bike!!! When ever I ride it, it makes me smile and go faster and faster...
Matt Black makes it more stealth so nobody really sees what Im riding which I like cause it doesn't look to shiny.
It surely isn't a cheap bike but for what you get its sooooo worth it!
Try one and you will never ride an other bike again...

Favorite Trail:   Hanua Ranges

Purchased At:   Cycle Express

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll

Bike Setup:   Matt Black Scalpel Carbon Frame, Mavic Crossmax SLR Wheels, Avid Juicy Ultimate Brakes, SRAM X-9 Gear

Submitted by Quentin a Cross Country Rider from Eleanor, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast, precise, fast, fast, and a fantastic climber. Phenomenal climber.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket, wheelset and pedals not terribly durable

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. It is a champ on fast XC riding and very precise for the technical stuff. I've had fantastic luck w/ my lefty fork. The low BB leaves you hitting your pedals off things occasionally, and it isn't the most ideal for log crossings. In the proper performance envelope (which I will admit I diverge from), it is an amazing bike. It still does all mountain riding well enough with the 2.5" of travel in the rear. I've never ridden a bike that wants to climb like this one though.

Favorite Trail:   Eleanor Park

Purchased At:   Pathfinder, WV

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Gary Fisher x-caliber

Bike Setup:   Stock other than ergon grips

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Nowy Sacz, Poland

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Lefty, EPO chainstays, FOX RP3 with PP, X.O/XT setup, Larsen TT tires and OMG awesome Cannondale system headset which is indestructible so far!

Weaknesses:    Maybe rear wheel flexes too much but I'm none of the light guys so really cant say if this is a weakness. Apart from that I couldn't find any.

Bottom Line:
Possibly the best alu-frame based XC full suspension bike. 67mm rear travel is really enough despite what some ppl say and I am heavy one (92kg atm)

Purchased At:   Cannondale

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike I bought. Tested/demoed many though.

Bike Setup:   Stock (XT front, X.O rear, X.O twist shifters, XT cassette, Afterburner crankset, Crossland wheelset, Lefty DLR2, FoX RP3, XTR pedals, Fizik saddle, stock seatpost and bars.

Submitted by Michael a Racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Strengths:    Has a very nice feel,great suspension,just enough travel to take the edge off.

Weaknesses:    There is none

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best bikes for your bucks. It has spectacular steering and perfect tracking. With 2.6 in of travel you wont notice any movement of the rear end. This bike can take some bigger hits compared to other XC racing machines, But I would not recommend taking on any drop that is larger than two feet if you want to keep you bike whole. This bike can tackle any rock garden or steep section. The lefty fork really smooths out the trail and is butter smooth and it looks sweet two. This bike can take almost any thing that the trail will through at you, but remember it is still a cross county race bike and taking that four foot drop could end with a crash.

Favorite Trail:   Marys loop

Purchased At:   Erick's

Similar Products Used:   first short travel race bike.

Bike Setup:   same setup when bought.

Submitted by Stuart a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, Maryland

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Balance

Weaknesses:    tough to cartop, lefty stays on

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful bike for the roadie getting into Mtn biking. The suspension manages to do really well on the usual trail stuff and keeps me from killing myself on more rigorous stuff. Great climbing, fantastic balance. I spent more for this than I planned but you MUST TEST RIDE your options. The only bikes matching the ride of the Cannondales cost 2-3 x as much. It's all about balance and speed out there in the wilderness, this is one great machine!

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Princeton

Similar Products Used:   my first dedicated trail bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    Great lockout, geometry and suspension.

Weaknesses:    Slight fish tail motion in the back when cornering hard - due to the chainstay/carbon construction. As with carbon handlebars you have to get used to a flex

Bottom Line:
As a repeat buyer of a Scalpel I feel this is the best quality product for the money in this segment of the market. Affords a strong climbing and XC performance.

You will not see many complaints about this bike....those that talk about new bikes with hyrdracoils, etc. are bs'ing....that's a lawsuit if it's true (I.e. selling used as new). I highly doubt Cannondale wants litigation.

Favorite Trail:   Meadows, Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   2003 Scalpel 1000

Bike Setup:   Crossmax XL disc rear upgrade, carbon handlebars. XT cassette today, SRAM chain, wtb seat...otherwise all stock

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from golden colorado

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    Light Frame, Good Feel, attractive look

Weaknesses:    None yet, But not looking for any - Common sense maintenance and appropriate riding makes Jeff a happy guy :)

Bottom Line:
I started riding 1 1/2 years ago on a Cannondale f400 hardtail, I loved the hardtail but it hurt my back on long rides over washboard, rocks etc. I decided to go with the Scalpel for the simple fact that it is basically a light hardtail with a shock. Turn off the rear shock and see what I mean.
It has served it's purpose very well, I am 220 lbs, 6'4" and have ridden over 500 miles on it.
XC riding, Basic Downhill stuff, I Rode Moab, Slickrock Trail in march and then Fruita CO. last month.
The bike handles very well. It has taken mild trail bobble jumps,and a recent tip over off a cliff ledge with me attached......
If you want a great XC TRAIL BIKE, that is light and fast, easy on the hills. Buy it. But buy it for what it is for, It is not a downhill bike and if you ride it for the wrong reasons, You'll brake it........

Favorite Trail:   Lookout mountain trail / local hill

Purchased At:   Schwab Cycles / frame purchase

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale f400 Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock Scalpel setup with the Super headshock other than lefty.
Avid Mech. Disk brakes, Easton riser bar, Mavic X223 rims, clipless pedals

Submitted by charles from pittsburgh,pa,USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    Fast bike. Good geometry. I like the colors.

Weaknesses:    I'm finding more and more as the months go on. Frame wobbles quite a bit, not a stable platform in the corners.

Bottom Line:
I don't think the bike is that light for an XC racing machine, 27.4 pounds. My frog link failed once and was replaced under warranty. My headset bearings failed just this week and weren't covered. The shop mechanic asked me if I had worked on the Lefty fork because he found a Helicoil in the spindle which holds the hub on. I never had it apart. I just sent Cannondale an email to answer that one. My eggbeater pedals broke and were repaired by Crankbrothers under warranty. And the amount of travel stated in the specs is 110mm but the actual is 88mm.

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear WVA

Purchased At:   West Liberty Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F700. Specialized FSR Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Easton carbon bar and seatpost. Light wieght saddle, Mavic Crosslands with UST Kenda tires. Sram X-9 twist grips and rear D.

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    Climbing, handling, stiffness

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. It climbs better than anything I have ridden except the hardtail. I just did a race today with it and I made me faster on the climbs on the course. What the guy said about being twitchy on the downhill this is a xc race bike it is made to be twitchy for handling. I have not experienced any more twitchyness than any other xc racing machine that I have ridden. this bike will make you a faster rider just by getting on it. BUY THIS BIKE!

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cannondale (hardtail), fuji

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006

Submitted by gs a Cross Country Rider from brisbane

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    Light frame. Plush front fork.

Weaknesses:    Extremely unreliable. In two years: 3 front fork re-builds and two broken rear stays, all with fairly minimal riding.
Very sketchy riding downhill. Twitchy front end which seems to lose [front] traction easily. Short travel rear end will 'pogo stick' once you have blown through its limited [65 mm] travel.

Bottom Line:
This bike is OK for smooth trails. It is not a bike for tight trails or steep descents. Reliability is a major concern and if you buy one expect it to spend a fair bit of time in the shop for repairs.