Cannondale Scalpel 1 XC Full Suspension

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Zero Pivots, Zero Competition. The lightest, stiffest, most efficient dual suspension XC race bike on the planet. The Scalpel isn’t just in a class by itself - it’s attending an entirely different school.
  • Frame: Scalpel, 80mm, BallisTec Hi-MOD full carbon, Zero Pivot, BB30, 1.5 Si headtube
  • Fork: Lefty Speed Carbon PBR, 100 mm, OPI, Solo Air
  • Stem: Cannondale OPI adjustable, -5 degree, 31.8
  • Seat Post: Fi;zi:k Cyrano 31.6x400

Submitted by Nondescript a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2011

Strengths:    Affordable, Fit, good value

Weaknesses:    It's soft

Bottom Line:
It's okay, if you like this sorta thing.

Favorite Trail:   Kennedy

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Diamondback, Turner

Bike Setup:   SRAM XX

Submitted by XCBooty a Cross Country Rider from SW, UK

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Strengths:    Super Light - 20.0 lbs (9.18kg) with pedals. Rides pretty well on most XC terrain.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable. Way too Fragile. Awful post-sales service from CSG. No use for long-endurance or multi-day events - it will let you down...

Bottom Line:
If you are not a sponsored rider and don't have a mechanic in support with a spare bike and a van full of components then this bike is probably not for you. If you live in Northern Europe and regularly ride in wet conditions, it's definitely not a good choice. I've not ridden it enough to make any great claims about how it handles - seems OK so far, but that's based on 3 rides. It has been sat in the retailers shop since it's first ride in the wet when it demonstrated how fragile it is. continuous chain suck damaged the chain stays; after the protective plate came off. Further damage was evident under the neoprene cover - I can't imagine this was from debris, so it must be a result of how the pivotless rear triangle flexes. The BB bearing seized and the rear brake cable carved out a massive gouge in the lefty fork where it was routed past and 'missed' the little protective patches that are supplied... CSG claim this is not a warranty issue but just a result of 'British Weather'; it wasn't even in the winter!

Favorite Trail:   Lake District XC

Purchased At:   Tri UK

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bear Valley SE. 4 years in and it's still going strong, with minimal maintenance.

Bike Setup:   As Stock, Candy Bros eggbeater 11, Tubeless.

Submitted by JaySC a Cross Country Rider from East TN

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is everything the xc rider wants. It climbs like a banshee (whatever that means), provides maximum control on the descent, and climbs up, over, around, etc. with precision.

Weaknesses:    At 21ish lbs, it is a little light weight for my 160lb body. I have found myself having to be very careful, and taking falls on slick rock. I definitely wouldn't do anything to lighten it up. All that said, I love the light weight and the capabilities that it enables.

Some would say it is overpriced, but if you can find a great deal then the value will be second to none. Try to find this kind of performance and componentry level in a bike that costs less than $6000 or so.

Bottom Line:
For the ultimate in xc performance, but a bit of price savings over the Team, go for this bike. I didn't need to added benefits of the Team edition, so I went with this bike because and found a great deal. It is all the hype and then some. This thing is light, but not too light, climbs faster and descends better than any xc bike I've ever ridden. I will admit that its abilities are far enough from an AM bike that I'll be buying a heavier duty machine, but it does what it was built to do better than anything else I've ridden. Don't know about this bike in Moab, but for the East side of country, go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Depends on the day

Similar Products Used:   2005 Cannondale Scalpel 1000
2005 Mongoose Zero G2

Bike Setup:   2008 1, stock

Submitted by chillmolly a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, great performance from lefty front fork. Also appreciate the slightly slack 69.5 degree head tube angle on technical terrain.

Weaknesses:    Had a minor issue with the lefty, but shop resolved it quickly. No opportunity to make excuses for my poor performance......

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for XC riding and racing. Don't let the looks and stupid questions about missing half the fork fool you. This is one of the best XC rides money can buy.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Big Ring Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Used a Santa Cruz Blur for trails and Trek 9900 for racing. Tested Dean Duke and Yeti.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Eggbeater Ti pedals.

Submitted by mtn_bkr2 a Racer from Bend, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Super light, great climber, no bobbing yet active suspension. Great workmanship on a high-quality, fast bike

Weaknesses:    Fork boot needs a few holes in it so H2O can drain out. Sizes run a little on the large side.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike for racing and everyday XC riding. Great on the uphills, active and fast on the downhills. Cannondale has put together a really nice bike/gruppo on this one. Can't wait to see the '09

Favorite Trail:   Metolius

Similar Products Used:   Orbea OIZ

Bike Setup:   Stock - why change anything on such a sweet parts mix

Submitted by Dave Jarm from Christchurch NZ

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, very quick and a great climber

Weaknesses:    None , as I expected .

Bottom Line:
Bottom line, I love this bike.

Similar Products Used:   Lots of other Cannondales.

Bike Setup:   Set up with Lefty Speed Carbon DLR2, SRAM XO triggers + XO RD , SRAM X-Gen FD , Avid BB7s , Truvativ crank with XT cassette , Maxxis Larsen TTs on Mavic XM819s , Fizi:k saddle on Thompson Elite and Ti Eggbeaters .

Submitted by Oscar Fors a Cross Country Rider from Los Altos, CA, 94022

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Full suspension sub 24 lbs. This bike is the best climber ever. The ELO Lefty is super plush and the lockout is a dream! Ultimate bike for XC racing and marathons.

Weaknesses:    Short (2.3") rear travel makes bike less suitable for down hill and really rough terain. Cannondales SI cranks require frequent changes of bearings.

Bottom Line:
This got to be the best fast mtb ever. Lighter then my new Rush Carbon Team. Not ultimate for the freerider, but a XC racer's dream!

Favorite Trail:   Corte de Madera

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush, Cannondale V900

Bike Setup:   Lefty ELO, full XTR, SI integrated cranks, Easton post and handlebar.

Submitted by Bob a Racer from dolyestown, Pa

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    This Bike is awesome!!!!!! every thing is great!!! I bought this bike for my kid. He's 5'1' and the small fits him great. It's a great bike. Great components.

Weaknesses:    None, yet.I hope there never will be any.

Bottom Line:
As I said earlier, I bought this bike for my 5'1' son. it's a small and it fits him perfect. He's a serious racer, so I got him the best. It worth every cent. HE'S SO FAST ON IT!! I have a rush 2000, and he blew by me on our first ride with that bike. I was so embarrassed that I got beat by my 12 year old son because I'm in the sport class,and he just won his first beginner class. I wish I had one now. This bike is perfect. If you want your kid to be super competitive and fast get he/she this bike. Or if you want get it for your self. I'm a bike geek, and truly obsessed over bike weights. This bike scores a 5 out of 5 with me. If you or your kid needs a good, light, fast, reliable race bike buy this bike!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   His old bike was A Scott RC 24. Is was junk! I wish I had gotten him the better Scott RC JR.

Bike Setup:   Completely Stock

Submitted by rish bert katawa a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    frame & fork

Weaknesses:    hub,chain ring & cogs

Bottom Line:
do not buy this product, it sucks!

Favorite Trail:   Tinagaan and Bunal