Cannondale Rush Carbon Team XC Full Suspension

• Handlebars: FSA Carbon K-Force, 25 mm rise
  • Stem: Cannondale XC3 Si, 31.8 mm

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Taylors, South Carolina

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    Idiot-proof handling due to limousine-length wheelbase and low bb. Light weight, about 25 lbs with XTR group. Exquisitely balanced front/rear 110mm travel. Carbon main frame affords much more solid ride than excellent alu. frame of my previous Rush. System Integration is beast.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket is both a blessing and a curse (you pays your money and takes your choice). Acceleration is, well . . . patience is a virtue, gentlemen.

Bottom Line:
The Carbon Rush is the best bike in the quadrant for those of us who want to spend a lot of time in the saddle and on the singletrack. It is both fast, light, and forgiving (a rare trifecta). The bike's handling is sweetly neutral. The Lefty SL 110 and the Fox RP23 undertake most XC trail duties with aplomb. Bottom Line: I happily traded a lightly used 2005 Epic carbon disc and my tarted-up 2005 Rush 1000 for this new rig. Sorry, Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Paris Mountain trail system

Purchased At:   Cycle Center, Columv

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic Carbon Disc, Rush 1000

Bike Setup:   Full XTR (except for big, orange, old-school Onza/SPD pedals, Mavic CrossMax SLR, Maxxis UST Ignitor tires (1.95 rear, 2.1 front: everyone should try this), Thompson Elite seatpost, Team Fizik saddle, Syncros hinge-clamp stem (this is the only Rush on the planet with a Head Shock-specific Syncros stem), smaller-diameter Answer carbon riser bar (everybody overbuilds their front ends anymore) Ergon grips w/ micro-bar ends.

Submitted by timberjim a Cross Country Rider from Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, adjustable for all conditions, long ride comfort

Weaknesses:    Cranks sometimes bottom out on obstacles because of the very low crankshaft. I am unable to run it no hands on the bars, the Lefty fork pulls to the right. Don't get me wrong, I only go no hands some short road stretches to relieve back or neck cramps.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic cross country race quality bike, can ride all day. I put on 100 miles the first three days of riding in Park City Utah; nasty rocky trails to smooth fast riding high alpine trails. Will lighten up by changing out the seat, tires, handlebar, seatpost. I'm 55 and need all the weight advantage I can get without losing weight myself. This bike best fits expert riding demands.

Favorite Trail:   Porqupine rim in Moab

Purchased At:   White Pine Touring,

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra Race

Bike Setup:   Standard 08 setup

Submitted by Nicolas Lortie a Cross Country Rider from Quebec City, Quebec, CANADA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    The bike's light weight is simply amazing, makes climbing the main reason you want to use your bike. Precision of a SRAM X-0 is addictive. Stiffness of the frame makes every rides special.The Lefty is the best front suspension ever.

Weaknesses:    Parts are expensive but worthed.

Bottom Line:
Great, i should say "the greatest" purchase i ever did. Riding this beast is simply addictive. Its like "riding the lightening".The only problem is i will never want downgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Montagne des roches & Mont Ste-Anne

Purchased At:   G.T.H. Sports

Bike Setup:   As the Cannondale catalogue.

Submitted by gary dyer a Cross Country Rider from leighonsea ,essex , england

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    everything works so well on this bike but if if i had to pick one thing its the lightness of it all , just amazing .

Weaknesses:    none that ive discovered so far and ive covered the peak district , the yorkshire dales and the north york moors and since its coped with those i believe it will handle most things .Im out most weekends on my local track in essex , you really could ride all day on this machine .

Bottom Line:
expensive yes , but in this case you really do get what you pay for an all round superlative package .For cross country and weekend warriors this just has to be THE MACHINE

Favorite Trail:   hadleigh downs

Purchased At:   chelmer cycles

Similar Products Used:   all hardtails before , and it was going to be a scott this time before I tried this but now there is no going back .

Bike Setup:   all standard . I must mention chelmer cycles for their excellent service and help in chosing this bike .

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Ca

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    The bike feels very solid. The Lefty is very stiff and easy to set up. Climbing and descending. Cannondale specd this bike with only the best parts.

Bottom Line:
Although I don't have alot of time on this Rush I had a 06 Rush 3000 to compare it with. The carbon frame is a very nice upgrade over the 06. This bike climbs with little effort and it is very confident on the descents as well. I think Cannondale hit the nail on the head with this bike. They lable it as a bike that you can ride all day and even all night if you choose, and I beleive it.

This bike is at home on singletrack and fire roads, this one of the most confortable bikes I have ridden. It was a pretty hard decision between the Rush and the Epic but after everything was said and done I beleive I made the right decision. I bought this bike for some racing but mostly all day Epic trail riding and I'm very pleased. Once I have a little more time on the bike I will post again.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Spec s-works epic, 06 Rush 3000, Turner, Titus, Intense, Ventana, Etc.

Bike Setup:   Check Cannondales web site. It is a stock build

Submitted by brad seymour a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness, comfort, responsiveness

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever ridden. I changed the bar out for a bit shorter flat bar, and it handles quickly while still being very stable going down fast. It accelerates incredibly quickly and is comfortable on long rides. The fork is more responsive than the Fox internals Lefty from last year, though the difference is slight. The rear is very adjustable, and bobs minimally when seated and pedaling at a steady pace in certain gears. No noticeable loss of power on climbs. It rockets uphill like an F-22. This is in the spring and I'm a bit out of shape. The only drawback is the cost. Mine was a replacement for a very slightly Rush from last year, so I didn't quite pay the $6500 or whatever they want for it. I'm sure the frame is nearly as great on the non-SI models, though. Also, Cannondale and Ada Bike Shop were great when it came to replacing the Al frame with Carbon. I thought there might be some problems with that, but it went as smoothly as I could have hoped. If you crave a bike that handles and accelerates brilliantly and have a lot of disposable income, this is for you.

Favorite Trail:   yankee springs

Purchased At:   Ada Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rush Team (non-carbon)

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossmax, Lefty 110sl front fork, Fox RP23, X-0 rear der, Magura Marta SL brakes, XTR fr der, Race Face Carbon Next SL Bar w/Ritchey WCS ends, Fizik Aliante Carbon twin flex Seat, FSA Carbon Post, Egg Beater SL, C-dale SI BB & cranks.

Submitted by Ogalthorpe from Coral Springs

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Light!!! 23 1/2lbs medium climbs great, great for descending.. I've found my perfect fit

Weaknesses:    None that I've found

Bottom Line:
I couldn't believe I spent 6k on a bike but I'm glad I did. It climbs well, takes the decent drops I do on it, and it handles it like a champ. The lefty shouldn't scare anyone away it rides just like a regular fork. I't makes me happy :)

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Jim's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   nothing similar but I've ridden.. Cannondale Scalpel, GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   X.O R derailer/shifters, blah blah blah.... www.cannondale.com has the specs.

Submitted by Colin a Racer from Anncey, France

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2006

Strengths:    Amazing light, crazy stiff and great suspension.

Weaknesses:    I was on a med frame, and getting a bottle in and out of the frame was a bit tricky, nothing really though that detracts from the bike.

Bottom Line:
After one ride I wanted one. I am a hardtail guy and yet I stil loved this bike. Super responsive, low bottom bracket meant railing corners was a breeze. The suspension was set perfectly, It worked the way it should have, no real pedal bob (really none at all, even on out of the saddle efforts) and then on the downs I felt like I had way moe than 110mm. This bike is an amazing climber, I really enjoyed it even during races. Then on the downs, it was a mini DH bike. I am saving up for one as we speak.